Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gridlocked posted:

First thing I noticed was the smoother models and graphical upgrades; this is amazing looking compared to what I remember. Jeeeeeeeeze.

Yeah unlike some other remastered versions of games OoT3D actually did get updated model and texture files so it really does look significantly better than the original. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Actually as shown in multiple games the Gerudos themselves aren't innately evil at all.

Just the male one.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Prior to Demise Ganondorf was just the one male Gerudo who gets born every thousand years or some such and also happened to be a dark sorcerer of tremendous power seeking the triforce for personal gain and it was never really explained if every male Gerudo is like that or what the hell is going on there so I'm honestly not sure if it really changes anything.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

roybot9000 posted:

Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time is the Gerudu male born once every 100 years and just happens to be possessed by or is the reincarnation of Demise. That's fine by me. The character is still their own and maybe even more tragic because of it. Maybe the next game won't have Ganon at all. Or just some poor rear end in a top hat who is Demise reborn and turns into a horrible pig monster. That would be fine too. Maybe that version of Ganon is Hylian or something. The Demise origin does allow for other villains besides Ganon which I am totally cool with.

Well Ganondorf himself shows up multiple times in later games as well so it's probable that the stuff about 'Gerudo male born once every 100 years' was actually a myth and that the so called 'Gerudo male' was in fact always just Demise reincarnating over and over while trying and failing to get at the Triforce. 'Ganon' would then be what Ganondorf becomes when he taps fully into his power as Demise's reincarnation which explains why he turns into a giant demonic monstrosity, though not why said monstrosity is also a pig.

Afaik the whole 'Gerudo male born every 100 years' thing is never mentioned again in any work outside of OoT and we never see any male Gerudos other than Ganondorf who isn't technically a Gerudo at all.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Was probably a bit of both; Ganondorf did pick up the Triforce of Power and we all know the thing about Power and corruption.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Judge Tesla posted:

The Hyrule Historia says Vaati was Ezlo's apprentice who courted the evil within the hearts of humans and fulfilled his wishes of becoming an evil sorcerer, made by Capcom or not, it's all canon.

Yeah Vaati is like the only major antagonist in a Zelda game that has nothing whatsoever to do with Ganon\Demise. He's just an evil sorcerer.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Silegna posted:

*Cough* Four Swords Adventures *Cough*. Then again, I don't think that one is canon.

Wasn't that Vaati again? I thought that one was Vaati, shows how much attention I paid.

e: Oh right Ganon puppets Vaati in Four Swords, wow I completely forgot Ganon even showed up in that one.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 4, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cheez posted:

The book was designed specifically to make nerds stop talking about Zelda timelines. It failed.

I honestly think it was made because the claim that a Zelda timeline did in fact exist was a complete and total bluff and Zelda fans finally called Nintendo on it enough that they were forced to try and come up with something.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Rigged Death Trap posted:

All the Marios happen within the scope of a few days.
Mushrooms are known to distort the sensation of time.

Actually the red mushrooms Mario eats look similar to a real life mushroom that is known for causing hallucinations that screw up perception of size when ingested. :tinfoil:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Odds are the old engine was intrinsically tied to the N64 hardware so I would expect they'd have had to rebuild it from scratch using the old one as reference.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

tiistai posted:

Yet I'm still jealous of Americans getting video games at almost half the price compared to ours.

Well, half is a bit of an exaggeration, but still.

You should try living in Australia, until very recently saying that wasn't an exaggeration; it was a fact.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Stalfos are a recurring enemy in the Zelda series that typically appear as some kind of animated skeleton and rarely possess significant combat prowess, though there are exceptions.

There, that is all you need to know about Stalfos.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh hey cool the power bracelet actually appears on Link's arm, that's a really neat thing they did for the HD remake. I wonder what other items will show up on his model.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

SystemLogoff posted:

It does that in the original game too! :science:

What really? I never noticed that :eyepop:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
None of the bosses in OoT are actually hard once you know what to do, they're only hard when you are 12 years old and playing the game blind.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Carbon dioxide posted:

As far as I know, at least one Great Fairy is required for finishing the game.

E: Oh, when you visit the second Fairy you say as much, contradicting your earlier statement. Okay whatever, ignore this then.

Actually he was sort of right the first time and wrong the second time, along with you!

You do not need Din's Fire to finish the game; the part with the circle of torches that most people think Din's Fire is necessary for can in fact be done with fire arrows. I happen to know this because the first time i played OoT it never occurred to me that Din's Fire could light torches, so I did it with fire arrows instead.

It requires near perfect aim to light 2 - 3 torches per arrow and I think you need the larger magic meter to pull it off which I guess means you do need to see a fairy, but Din's Fire is not in fact necessary to finish the game. It makes the game easier certainly, but you can finish that puzzle without it. At least you could in the original, they may have tweaked how long the torches stay lit in OoT3D.

e: Note that I do not recommend trying to finish that puzzle with fire arrows; just go see the drat fairy.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 31, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Glaive17 posted:

Dio, IT WAS I DIO and Female.

This.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Crawfish posted:

Pretty sure the Boss Key chest room in that Dungeon still needs Din's Fire to stop the moving spiked walls or at least I've never found any other way to combat them.

You just shoot them with Fire Arrows and they burn away.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

frozentreasure posted:

I could've sworn I tried fire arrows before and they didn't work, but maybe I'm mistaken, and I'd just panicked and resorted to Din's Fire anyway.

In any case, you definitely can't beat the game without at least seeing the Great Fairy on top of Death Mountain, since the first area of Ganon's Tower requires you to fire light arrows.

Zelda gives you the Light Arrows in the Temple of Time, not the Great Fairy on Death Mountain?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Crawfish posted:

You would still need to go there to be able to use them at all though. Same goes for both of the things we were talking about.

Oh right yeah the fairy gives you a magic bar, hah :v:

Alright so you do need to see that one, the others are 'optional' though there really is no reason not to see all of them anyway.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

frozentreasure posted:

I wonder if getting the light arrows automatically gives you a magic bar, though; it's confirmed that that's the sole trigger for Ganon's Castle to become accessible, so it could affect some other things.

You'd get other items that need the magic bar long before then, and need to use them too. I doubt getting one of those items gives you a magic meter though.

frozentreasure posted:

Eh, I never really found a use for Farore's Wind. I think I was planning on making use of it when Linebeck was going to do races of the Master Quest dungeons, but other than that, it's never really been relevant. I think I used Nayru's Love against one of the Iron Knuckles when I first played it as a stupid kid. And to save myself against the Cuccos. It didn't work.

I actually found Farore's Wind to be the most useful of the three and I used it repeatedly throughout the game. It was only really useful because I didn't know where everything was and ended up backtracking a lot while slowly solving puzzles though so I never used it on subsequent playthroughs.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I've never heard the Redead behavior described as eating the corpse; always as mourning it. I guess because in Majora's Mask Gibdos are shown to both still retain some measure of their prior humanity and be Redeads underneath the bandages.

e:
Check out them moves.

Miyamoto also stated in 'Iwata Asks' for OoT3D that Link is 9 as a child and 16 as an adult.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dresh posted:

Aren't these games also the last appearance of Iron Knuckles so far? Even Smash Bros. 3DS and Hyrule Warriors didn't use them.

Iron Knuckles show up for 3 games; Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. In Adventure of Link they're just stronger Darknuts that aren't weak to attacks from behind and were chosen by the King of Hyrule so they're completely different from their OoT and Majora's Mask incarnations.

• Locked thread