Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RushJet1
Apr 13, 2007

I write chiptunes. I also am trying to get into game development.

https://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-ii-gb-remade

Ah, Mega Man II for Game Boy. This soundtrack had some cool ideas but also had some very jarring dissonance and high pitch sounds. I tried to balance staying faithful to the original tracks and making them sound good, though with some of them I just threw out the original harmonies and came up with something new. Hope you enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Sounds pretty good man. But you should totally put soundtrack in your thread title. :(

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'm listening to the title track now, and it's really rockin'! But yeah, I thought this was going to be a ROM.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Well, he did use the Music tag.

Sounds great. Never played the second GB Mega Man (only V) so I don't have much to base it off of.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Well, he did use the Music tag.

Sounds great. Never played the second GB Mega Man (only V) so I don't have much to base it off of.

MM2 GB was farmed out to a different development studio and therefore was poo poo. It is the black sheep of the series due to its new, tinny, squealing music and mediocre design (weapon energy isn't even rounded so you can deplete a weapon but still have 1-2 pips of energy left). That said, this does the new compositions justice because the actual melody wasn't bad, just the instrumentation. Top Man and Air Man are especially good themes.

RushJet1
Apr 13, 2007

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't see an option to edit the subject title, so it'll have to stay how it is now I guess. I'll remember that for next time (though yeah, I did at least put the music image on it).

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

RushJet1 posted:

https://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-ii-gb-remade

Ah, Mega Man II for Game Boy. This soundtrack had some cool ideas but also had some very jarring dissonance and high pitch sounds. I tried to balance staying faithful to the original tracks and making them sound good, though with some of them I just threw out the original harmonies and came up with something new. Hope you enjoy!

Rock on. I've been following you for years, brother. Even own some of your albums on BC. Keep it up!

RushJet1
Apr 13, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

MM2 GB was farmed out to a different development studio and therefore was poo poo. It is the black sheep of the series due to its new, tinny, squealing music and mediocre design (weapon energy isn't even rounded so you can deplete a weapon but still have 1-2 pips of energy left). That said, this does the new compositions justice because the actual melody wasn't bad, just the instrumentation. Top Man and Air Man are especially good themes.

I'd really love to talk to the original composer of the game (or at least see an interview with them) and ask them why they made some of the decisions they made. So many high-pitch notes (especially in the credits theme and Air Man), tons of weird tuning issues that make it sound a bit like an Atari 2600, and some harmony choices that just sound dissonant even when you get rid of the other two problems.

Something else I noticed that the composer was a big fan of was note runs to get back to the root chord. "Oh crap, I'm on 'a', gotta get to 'g.' Guess i'll just go abcd bcde cdef defg! Neat! Now let's do that in at least half the songs."

Also on another note, Wood Man's theme's melody sounds like random notes thrown in there with no rhyme or reason. I probably struggled with that the most when making this.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I honestly enjoyed this more than the MM2 mixes you did. Great work.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Cool stuff!

Probably a dumb question:
Why didn't they use the themes and melodies from the NES version?

RushJet1
Apr 13, 2007

No idea! Every other Mega Man game on Game Boy did except MMV, but that's because it's not a rehash of the NES games at all. From what I can tell, the development was very rushed, and it was a new developer- maybe they didn't think they could copy Mega Man 2 NES's music well enough in that short of a time?

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Love the remixes. I always liked MM2 GB's music and thought it got a bad rap. Yeah it was tinny and shrill but the melodies were great. The game also had this quirk where you could toggle the sound of the music by firing your weapon, what the hell was up with that. You guys know what I'm talking about, right? Shooting a single shot would change the pitch, I don't know if it was removing a sound channel or what.

Anyway, great job, I've been rocking out to this album.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

RushJet1 posted:

I'd really love to talk to the original composer of the game (or at least see an interview with them) and ask them why they made some of the decisions they made. So many high-pitch notes (especially in the credits theme and Air Man), tons of weird tuning issues that make it sound a bit like an Atari 2600, and some harmony choices that just sound dissonant even when you get rid of the other two problems.

Something else I noticed that the composer was a big fan of was note runs to get back to the root chord. "Oh crap, I'm on 'a', gotta get to 'g.' Guess i'll just go abcd bcde cdef defg! Neat! Now let's do that in at least half the songs."

Also on another note, Wood Man's theme's melody sounds like random notes thrown in there with no rhyme or reason. I probably struggled with that the most when making this.

I recall it being said somewhere (it may have been this thread) that the music shows signs of having been developed in a different hardware setup and incorrectly ported, or rapidly developed by someone unfamiliar with the chipset in use. That would at least explain the inexplicable shrill notes that seem to come out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RushJet1
Apr 13, 2007

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Love the remixes. I always liked MM2 GB's music and thought it got a bad rap. Yeah it was tinny and shrill but the melodies were great. The game also had this quirk where you could toggle the sound of the music by firing your weapon, what the hell was up with that. You guys know what I'm talking about, right? Shooting a single shot would change the pitch, I don't know if it was removing a sound channel or what.

Anyway, great job, I've been rocking out to this album.

Your shots use a 50% square wave for the sound effect and sometimes change notes in the music to use that same duty cycle (kind of an "ooo" sound) until it changes in the music itself. Yeah that was a weird bug.. saw it in a playthrough recently. I haven't actually played MM2 gameboy in like 10 years so I didn't remember that initially.

• Locked thread