Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I really like charging up phoenix early in crusade and then subbing him in for any fights I have trouble with. Sure, charging energy for a bunch of characters is like crusade 101, but phoenix is just very good in that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Phoenix can ult a bunch of units to half health and let lightning elemental do clean up .

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Zotix any way you could leave your Death Knight at 41/42 as a merc for a while? Would be baller for crusade.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Why only 41/42?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Zotix posted:

Why only 41/42?

Purely selfish reasons, so if it's hindering your progression feel free to ignore it. Can't hire mercenaries higher than your team level and I'd like to use it, that's all. I'll hit 42 first thing tomorrow so I'd be able to use a level 42 guy.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm finding the Cleric (mine is 2-star, Blue+2) to be a great tank for Crusades, yesterday he lasted me through all 15 waves, and today to like 12 when some BS stun thing got him.

I just unlocked War Chief too, but he hasn't impressed me yet. Better damage output but he seems to die really fast. Maybe I just need to pump up his life steal skill a lot more?

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
My War Chief does seem to die a lot faster than other tanks. I think this is a combination of him being at 2 stars and his revive at purple.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

Daveski posted:

I'm finding the Cleric (mine is 2-star, Blue+2) to be a great tank for Crusades, yesterday he lasted me through all 15 waves, and today to like 12 when some BS stun thing got him.

I just unlocked War Chief too, but he hasn't impressed me yet. Better damage output but he seems to die really fast. Maybe I just need to pump up his life steal skill a lot more?

Yea I've found war chief is rubbish until he gets his revive at purple. I've just hit 56, and crusades seem a crap shoot at the moment. Sometimes I get 2 waves of 57+ and they just poo poo on me ;/ Guess I just need more tanks!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The best way I've found to deal with crusades thus far is to abuse the death mage/mystic/commando combo. It bulldozes most teams, and for those it doesn't you can always retreat and burn a couple stored ults instead.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Meanwhile, i've just been running the same 5 units for like the last 20 levels and they don't seem to be in any danger of burning out :shobon:

Iron Hoof is kind of crazy for Crusade, it's sort of unfortunate he's too good to keep low levelled.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
FYI, the self rez for War Chief and Phoenix carries over between each round so you can't trivialize crusades with those two. You'll need Death Mage for that.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
You mean don't carry over right?

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002

Roid666 posted:

You mean don't carry over right?

I'm not sure, I just woke up so words are hard. If you rez once with war chief on a crusade you can't rez again until you reset.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

Tequila posted:

I'm not sure, I just woke up so words are hard. If you rez once with war chief on a crusade you can't rez again until you reset.

I did not know this, well DK spam it is then.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Are the first few chests you open fixed rewards? I just started and got the same stuff on those pulls after changing to 47. I thought I read something about a 3 star hero on a gold chest or something?

Also, I assume early game is just running story mode to unlock stuff on your village?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Echophonic posted:

Are the first few chests you open fixed rewards? I just started and got the same stuff on those pulls after changing to 47. I thought I read something about a 3 star hero on a gold chest or something?

Also, I assume early game is just running story mode to unlock stuff on your village?

The first single pull you get from a Gold Chest (after the 3 story heroes) will always be a 3* of some kind. I'm not sure if it's a reduced selection or not. And yes, that's what early game is.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Are there any choices in the early game that are going to screw me over if I dint get them "right"?

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Are there any choices in the early game that are going to screw me over if I dint get them "right"?

Not really, the only thing that can remotely screw you over is if you end up leveling a bunch of heroes that you later abandon when you get better ones. But if you're using them to progress/mine in the booty cave its not a total loss.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How do you get death mage? I've got the DK but from everything I've read, his utility ends shortly and I'll need a mage.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
RNG or grand arena coins starting at lvl 60.

FWIW, I'm still getting a lot of mileage out of my DK in situations where I can build up his ult, mostly in PVE and some booty mine raids. I would still probably use my DK in crusades if I didn't RNG into a death mage, but she definitely brings a shitload of AOE damage, self heals, and enough energy regen to do it at or near the start of every round.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Started playing this today and working my way through chapter 1 on my downtime. Pretty fun so far.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Does every one start with the same 5?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Does every one start with the same 5?

Yeah, as a F2P it'll be a little while before you're going to have anyone outside of the starting 5 + your 3* pull. Of those Lightning Master has the least long-term prospects but you'll still get use out of him for a bit.

Edit: There are monthly login rewards for a free hero at 7 days as well.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Is there a formula to when the chests drop and when they don't? Like do I need to finish a wave in less than x seconds to get a chest or is it just random?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Goon server is full and I missed the little sentence that said " after your first fight ". Guess I'm playing solo until server migration goes live.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

Goon server is full and I missed the little sentence that said " after your first fight ". Guess I'm playing solo until server migration goes live.

I restarted at like, level 30-something. It's not atrocious, but the Arena is a brutal slog that won't see you winning anything from it for ages. On my original backwater server I jumped into the top 10K in the mid-20s, netting me a heap of diamonds. No such luck on 47.

Daveski posted:

He's so swingy in Crusade. Sometimes he powers through, stopping the whole team taking any damage. Sometimes gets trucked into the ground and your A-Team bites it soon after.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

I clicked on the "full" server and was able to switch to it. So unless you're getting an error message, I think you're still OK. (I double-checked my server before this post and I see myself on 47 and my original character on server 7X)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Zet posted:

I clicked on the "full" server and was able to switch to it. So unless you're getting an error message, I think you're still OK. (I double-checked my server before this post and I see myself on 47 and my original character on server 7X)

I thought I had done that but I just tried again and it worked. Thanks!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
For some reason, when I got a dk dupe today from a free gold chest it gave me 30 fragments instead of 7.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wait, there is a hero named Pale Gazer? :laffo:

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002

Serious Frolicking posted:

For some reason, when I got a dk dupe today from a free gold chest it gave me 30 fragments instead of 7.

The number of fragments you get from a dupe depends on the number of stars is starts out with:
*=7
**= 18 (I think)
***= 30

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Tequila posted:

The number of fragments you get from a dupe depends on the number of stars is starts out with:
*=7
**= 18 (I think)
***= 30

Yeah, this is correct, it's about 3/8ths of what you need for the next rank.

blindidiotgod posted:

He's so swingy in Crusade. Sometimes he powers through, stopping the whole team taking any damage. Sometimes gets trucked into the ground and your A-Team bites it soon after.

He dies like a chump if he gets stunned, even moreso than most heroes do. He needs to be free to spam his heals.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I have a Death Mage. I'll get her up to the mid 50s for you guys for crusades to help out. Might take a day to get her skills up, though. Let me know how it turns out.

vulturesrow posted:

Wait, there is a hero named Pale Gazer? :laffo:

It's an item, actually!

With all the goons we have in the guild now leveling up we might actually start clearing the guild raids.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 6, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

So I've already hit a bit of a wall which is a little suprising given that you guys said you should be able to hit hero level 35 in about a day. Granted I haven't been playing an entire day but I've hit hero level 14 and have stopped making progress on the regular and elite campaign stuff. Do I really need to start grinding levels already? I have been pretty good about adding points to my character's skills. Everyone is green+1 except lightning master who is 1 item away.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Do you have a full team of 5 yet? You should be able to have Leaves' Shadow, Admiral, Chaplain, Lightning Master and Embermage by now, plus whoever your initial Gold Chest roll was if you've accumulated enough Gems to do it. Normally 1x rolls are bad, but it's a pretty huge power spike for not that large of an investment.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Niton posted:

Do you have a full team of 5 yet? You should be able to have Leaves' Shadow, Admiral, Chaplain, Lightning Master and Embermage by now, plus whoever your initial Gold Chest roll was if you've accumulated enough Gems to do it. Normally 1x rolls are bad, but it's a pretty huge power spike for not that large of an investment.

Yeah I have the full team of 5. I did not do the gold chest roll yet, guess i should do that.

e: 72 gems short.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
My advice would be to just re-do old stages for any gear slots you can fill out, then. Keeping your main team fully up-to-date is really important, especially before you unlock the Blue/Purple stuff. Also, make sure you're using EXP Potions / Salves to keep them at max possible level.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Niton posted:

My advice would be to just re-do old stages for any gear slots you can fill out, then. Keeping your main team fully up-to-date is really important, especially before you unlock the Blue/Purple stuff. Also, make sure you're using EXP Potions / Salves to keep them at max possible level.

There aren't many slots I can go back to fill. I went back to try but nothing dropped. I managed to get a few more encounters done. I must be doing something wrong because I don't think I should be stuck this early on.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Yeah I mean I started pretty recently, I didn't get to 30 or whatever but I think I got to 24 in a day? You shouldn't have much problem keeping your heroes at your team level for a good while, but you will want to farm for a bit of gear as it becomes available for promotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah I'm kinda in the same position.
I'm player level 22.
24 Wind Master +1 (3/8 skills), 24 Admiral +1 (8/8), 24 Emberstar +1 (7/18), 24 Chaplain +1 (20/2), 21 Shadowleaf (4/7) | 20 Lightning Master +1 (3/3)
I'm on 4-3: Back Under the Leaves, and the bosses just shred my Admiral and I'm not really doing enough damage to rush them down either.
The majority of the gear slots I'm missing are from chapters I haven't unlocked yet, but I'll go back and Raid what little I can, which seems to be better than straight running it because of the bonus xp potions.

The boss type mobs are doing 400-500 a hit against my Admiral, who only has a couple thousand hp it seems (2500 +504).

[Edit] Also what time/zone does rollover and other events happen?

[Edit2] Just got my Admiral to blue has 3392 +108 hp now and I've got some experience potions around. So hopefully I can fill out some slots and evolve some other people and get over this hump. Where to farm isn't as clear as say pocket knights where you just spam the highest stage you can. At least the gear has a "Where does this drop?" thing that takes you right to it.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 6, 2015

• Locked thread