Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Ok, I checked how many games CT had. I thought he/she was new. I was mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Epsilon Plus posted:

Look at Stretch Armstrong here. Stretching.

(about him freaking out, not about the other stuff, you're good there)

HMMMMM

this is a bad post relative to all the other ones in the thread

i'd also vote epsilon

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Highland park Dark Origins is pretty cool if you like sherried stuff and don't mind trying a wonky NAS bottle.

am i an uncultured mess if highland park 12 is my favorite whiskey in the world?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie. posted:

this is a bad post relative to all the other ones in the thread

to explain this more

scum generally tend to overexaggerate how bad something is because they're excited that they found a thing to pounce on to effect a mis-cuddle

town inherently know that they can wrong more often than not and if nothing EGREGIOUS has happened they're willing to back down

this post by epsilon just seems like a whole lot of the former

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Eh, but I'm not even pushing Allen and Epsilon acknowledges that while ostensibly agreeing with my other points.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
so far lagavulin 16 is my favorite. highland park was my favorite for a long while. also talisker 10 i like a lot.

hey allen is all that whiskey pretentious enough for you, imagine me drinking it with NO ICE THANK YOU while playing go and chess at the same time

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ernie. posted:

our dearest friend winged orpheus tried to shoe-horn mafia gameplay where it doesn't belong because he felt like he had to

who feels like they 'have to' add mafia discussion, most people just shoot from the hip at what they disagree with

I'm just not seeing it. It's not a scummy post, it's not a townie post, it's just a dumb joke.

Regarding other new stuff, I'm getting good ~*vibes*~ from FV but I have a feeling Somber's trying to buddy me which is not giving me good ~*vibes*~

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Amoeba102 posted:

gently caress if I know.

Amoeba I'm going to need more than that. Pretend you are a terrorist and I'm a counter terrorist and I have a gun up to your head and you know from your terrorist friends that I'm edgy and I'd do it and pretend I said "who are the scum" and you knew if you didn't say someone I would murder you.

Pretending that, who are the scum?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Rarity posted:

I'm just not seeing it. It's not a scummy post, it's not a townie post, it's just a dumb joke.

Regarding other new stuff, I'm getting good ~*vibes*~ from FV but I have a feeling Somber's trying to buddy me which is not giving me good ~*vibes*~

It was genuinely a struggle to avoid antagonizing you here. How have FV's efforts been pro-town so far? I think she's been active but not a lot of that activity was focused around scumhunting.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Your Personal Muse posted:

Amoeba I'm going to need more than that. Pretend you are a terrorist and I'm a counter terrorist and I have a gun up to your head and you know from your terrorist friends that I'm edgy and I'd do it and pretend I said "who are the scum" and you knew if you didn't say someone I would murder you.

I'd still say gently caress if I know because I have only been skimming the thread.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey, I'd also lynch Amoeba. Gut call, but I feel good about it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That's cool. I'm only here because Diqnol asked me and I'm not really going to play till next week at the earliest.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For starters she's totally right in that my case on KFC was easy, just like every other D1 case ever, and while I'm not sure I agree with her view on my meta (especially cause I like to switch up my meta) I think it's something she's thought about logically rather than something she's pulled out of her rear end. And then there's this post:

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Ok, I checked how many games CT had. I thought he/she was new. I was mistaken.

From the games I've played I think scum don't generally admit to their mistakes cause they're scared it's going to be seen as a backtrack to get out of trouble. Whereas so far you've gone out of your way to not only back my case but case the one person who spoke out against it. That alone is enough for me to suspect buddying but (and I'm admittedly not 100% on this) I'm fairly sure when you've been scum in our games together you've always been much less suspicious of me than normal.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Somberbrero posted:

It was genuinely a struggle to avoid antagonizing you here. How have FV's efforts been pro-town so far? I think she's been active but not a lot of that activity was focused around scumhunting.

I'm trying to approach the game differently, more like MMM did in Mean Girls (which I think Rarity and Asiina will understand). Less reliance on what the community have decided are the basic scum "tells" and more on thinking about what and why people are posting.

Not saying I'm doing a great job of it, but I want to break out of (what I see as) the rut of rote case making.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Your Personal Muse posted:

And then you feel the kiss of cold metal on the back of your skull as a counter-counter terrorist sneaks up behind you, gun to your head.

Pretending that, how about providing an opinion of your own on who you think is scummy and why. All we have from you at the moment is a "me too" vote.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Rarity posted:

For starters she's totally right in that my case on KFC was easy, just like every other D1 case ever, and while I'm not sure I agree with her view on my meta (especially cause I like to switch up my meta) I think it's something she's thought about logically rather than something she's pulled out of her rear end. And then there's this post:

From the games I've played I think scum don't generally admit to their mistakes cause they're scared it's going to be seen as a backtrack to get out of trouble. Whereas so far you've gone out of your way to not only back my case but case the one person who spoke out against it. That alone is enough for me to suspect buddying but (and I'm admittedly not 100% on this) I'm fairly sure when you've been scum in our games together you've always been much less suspicious of me than normal.

If I'm less ready to put suspicion on you as scum, it's usually because you do a fantastic job of getting yourself lynched. This whole post is another reason why meta-casing is generally dumb as hell, the reason I've been suspicious of you as town in the past is because you say insane nonsense like this and it took me a long time to figure out how you play mafia(poorly). I mean, I lynched you to lose us the game in DS9 as town.

I don't see understand how you reach the conclusion that FV is town at all. No one has said why pushing an easy case day one is a bad thing. FV more or less brushed over it, that doesn't show a depth of thought to me and saying 'town because effort' is Wrong anyway.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I'm trying to approach the game differently, more like MMM did in Mean Girls (which I think Rarity and Asiina will understand). Less reliance on what the community have decided are the basic scum "tells" and more on thinking about what and why people are posting.

Not saying I'm doing a great job of it, but I want to break out of (what I see as) the rut of rote case making.

That sounds cool, but I'm not sure I'm seeing where you said why it would make sense to push a vote on Chic Trombone as scum. Sorry, might have just missed it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, I'm rereading. I had a really good "Somber, you're being a shitler" post drafted up, but I'm coming around on it.

So this is like four or five levels of arguing

WO looks pretty bad. So Ernie and Kumba give it a go. I'm not sure whether I can call Ernie or Kumba's moves bad or not. They're just "wow, that's a lovely play, have a vote" things.

But when you comment on a comment, that's analysis.

KFC looks real bad in this series of posts, yeah. He jumps on the E/K voting bloc, but here's what I'm seeing that I wasn't previously: I'm not sure if KFC is taking the path of least resistance, like, "hey, that looks like a reasonable move day one, those seem like pretty good moves to keep town alive" or if he's going "hey there's a townie, maybe we can start running a lynch." I'm actually inclined to think it's the former, contrary to the third-vote-is-always-scum theory.

CT posts as well in what's being called the coaching post. I don't see how it's a scum maneuver. Literally don't. I guess you could say that calling out a scumbuddy's bad post is a way to achieve separation, but if anything it immediately makes other players consider the relationship between the coach and the coached. Especially this early on, I'd imagine the proper scum move would just to act like that post never happened.

So Rarity calls the KFC post bad analysis, which is true and votes KFC. I'm okay with this. I dunno if I'd make that move, but I don't instantly think Rarity's move is scummy. That's the thing---just because you're not sure of a move doesn't mean

then we also have somber's look at CT but after hashing it out somber kinda pulls off of it. okay. nothing going on there.

so the crux of the thing here is the fv argument

and fv's main thrust is that rarity's look at kfc is bad play

I can see that. there are definitely enough players (especially this early) who are doing what'd be considered "bad play" that making a call on them is, in and of itself, bad play.

but I guess that's just day one for you?

However

Somberbrero posted:

You would look less scummy if you stopped freaking out and actually read the last couple pages.

Don't make this about me like you haven't seen me in other games and want to make me look like this isn't my standard poo poo in front of a bunch of people who've never got the patented wren-talking-poo poo method before.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

If I'm less ready to put suspicion on you as scum, it's usually because you do a fantastic job of getting yourself lynched. This whole post is another reason why meta-casing is generally dumb as hell, the reason I've been suspicious of you as town in the past is because you say insane nonsense like this and it took me a long time to figure out how you play mafia(poorly). I mean, I lynched you to lose us the game in DS9 as town.

I don't see understand how you reach the conclusion that FV is town at all. No one has said why pushing an easy case day one is a bad thing. FV more or less brushed over it, that doesn't show a depth of thought to me and saying 'town because effort' is Wrong anyway.

To be fair, I said all the way through DS9 I was playing poo poo :P

From reading FV's initial comment on me it seems like she's saying it's making content just for the sake of making content rather than for legitimate scum hunting, which is a reasoning that I can understand (apart from the fact it's D1). And I never said it had anything to do with effort. If I thought that way then I'd think you were town as well!

fiery_valkyrie posted:

more like MMM did in Mean Girls (which I think Rarity and Asiina will understand)

I think you mean... gently caress, which one was it? Mean Girls is the one I modded and MMM wasn't in that one

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I do understand, and I have a good feeling about you for this style of posting, it feels genuine.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Somberbrero posted:

The dude has five games. Newbie policy aside, I would pretty much expect him to make scummy posts and I don't think we'll hit scum. Regardless, it's not what you did as much as how you did it. I don't like the wording of your votepost or the leadup to it at all.

First, newbie policy is 1 game pass. No more.
Second -- Consider: the initial catch may have been a newbie mistake but look at his follow up. He hasn't engaged at all except to say that he's not in fact a newbie. If it just came from being inexeperienced, I'd expect a defensive or at least more reactive follow up, wouldn't you?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

So Rarity calls the KFC post bad analysis, which is true and votes KFC. I'm okay with this. I dunno if I'd make that move, but I don't instantly think Rarity's move is scummy. That's the thing---just because you're not sure of a move doesn't mean

So I forgot to finish my thought

So Rarity calls the KFC post bad analysis, which is true and votes KFC. I'm okay with this. I dunno if I'd make that move, but I don't instantly think Rarity's move is scummy. That's the thing---just because you're not sure of a move doesn't mean it's automatically a scummy move

that's what I'm saying

like person A can think person D is scum and person B can think person C is scum and they can both be right, both be wrong, etc. It's just not instantly a one or the other proposition

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I think you mean... gently caress, which one was it? Mean Girls is the one I modded and MMM wasn't in that one

She means Twin Peaks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gently caress that was way too much effort and reading

back to shitposting

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Ok, I checked how many games CT had. I thought she was new. I was mistaken.

Yeah I've just been on hiatus for a while v:shobon:v

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I don't like any of the game related posts Epsilon has made.

Epsilon Plus posted:

nice of Pinterest Mom, Mafia Expert to chime in and shine some light on us lowly plebs

Epsilon Plus posted:

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

There have been a couple light/no-reasoning condemnations of peoples' votes. Why is this one sticking out to you?
It was the snarkiest and least useful IMO

Epsilon Plus posted:

Look at Stretch Armstrong here. Stretching.

(about him freaking out, not about the other stuff, you're good there)

These kinda one-off comments ping me as fake, trying to get something going without actually doing the work of making a call.

If I use the MMM/capps style of "why are they posting this way?" then I don't know why a town player would make these kinds of comments. They don't advance any sort of opinion, but they're not complete shitposts or off topic either.

##vote Epsilon Plus

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

To be fair, I said all the way through DS9 I was playing poo poo :P

From reading FV's initial comment on me it seems like she's saying it's making content just for the sake of making content rather than for legitimate scum hunting, which is a reasoning that I can understand (apart from the fact it's D1). And I never said it had anything to do with effort. If I thought that way then I'd think you were town as well!

No, I meant the one that us 3 girls were scum together.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

That sounds cool, but I'm not sure I'm seeing where you said why it would make sense to push a vote on Chic Trombone as scum. Sorry, might have just missed it.

I don't think I did say explicitly, but it's because it is an easy, lazy case.

You yourself said

Somberbrero posted:

I mean, day one, if someone does something textbook scummy, it's a bad idea to lynch them because _______?

But, I don't think textbook scummy is the be-all that you seem to. It's a go-to for making cases that is not as reliable as the phrase "textbook scummy" makes it seem.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Asiina posted:

I don't like any of the game related posts Epsilon has made.

##vote Epsilon Plus

I agree in that I have no clue why Epsilon has posted these comments (I don't think I have played with him before) but I also don't know why they would post it as scum. It will and as set alarm bells off because it is weirdly aggressive this early into the game.

OK I hosed UP THE QUOTING I EDITED TO CHANGE THE QUOTE

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Somberbrero posted:

Hey, I'd also lynch Amoeba. Gut call, but I feel good about it.

Disagree, it seems more like lazy town than anything else. I would expect defensiveness and more excuses from scum.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

And then you feel the kiss of cold metal on the back of your skull as a counter-counter terrorist sneaks up behind you, gun to your head.

Pretending that, how about providing an opinion of your own on who you think is scummy and why. All we have from you at the moment is a "me too" vote.

Why is my me too vote bad? If I were to attempt to create "original content", it would literally be the same thing Somber wrote. I didn't read Somber's case and get swayed by it, I read Somber's case and said "that's exactly what I'm thinking".

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dugong posted:

I agree in that I have no clue why Epsilon has posted these comments (I don't think I have played with him before) but I also don't know why they would post it as scum. It will and as set alarm bells off because it is weirdly aggressive this early into the game.

OK I hosed UP THE QUOTING I EDITED TO CHANGE THE QUOTE

Epsilon has always pinged me as incredibly scummy in every game I've been in with him, and he's usually (always?) ended up being town, so I kind of write off snarky scummy comments from him d1.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Sorry, I never felt compelled to clarify that my offhand comment about merk winning meant he was confirmed town was in fact a Joke and not a Completely Real Mafia Declaration.

If you want some mafia related posting, here goes:

99% of the time Day 1 is a crapshoot where someone gets lynched over something tiny, mostly because there's nothing bigger to lynch someone for. That being said, there's no real reason not to attempt scumhunting because it at least gives something to refer to when people inevitably flip.

So with that in mind:

Chic Trombone's post about my comment read more "please let that be a joke" than "aha the scum! it's you!"

Votes fly easy and fast on day 1 so I'm not exactly concerned about the votes on me for it. If i get lynched for a joke then w/e, someone's gotta die day 1.

The only thing that really sticks out to me as possible scummy maneuver is KFC dropping a 3rd vote and trying to start actually drawing a case on me for it, but even then it strikes me more as just trying to get some actual content going rather than scum trying to push a lynch.

And I know the newbie thing should only apply to the first game, that's why I made sure to point out I had played before. Don't feel bad about voting me if you think I'm scum, someone's gotta die.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Jesus christ I forgot about this game and now I have 10 pages to catch up on. WHY BIG GAME WHY

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Later this evening I will do my patented (pending) Quidnose Play By Play ReadThrough of Amazing-ness and blow this game wide open for you fools.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Quidnose posted:

Later this evening I will do my patented (pending) Quidnose Play By Play ReadThrough of Amazing-ness and blow this game wide open for you fools.

I'm looking forward to it. It's usually pretty drat good. (No pressure)

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

First, newbie policy is 1 game pass. No more.
Second -- Consider: the initial catch may have been a newbie mistake but look at his follow up. He hasn't engaged at all except to say that he's not in fact a newbie. If it just came from being inexeperienced, I'd expect a defensive or at least more reactive follow up, wouldn't you?

Can you clarify what you mean by your second point.

Since you haven't removed your vote I assume you think WO is still scum, but how does that fit into your read of him being caught on a newbie tell and then not acting like a newbie under pressure?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Quidnose posted:

Jesus christ I forgot about this game and now I have 10 pages to catch up on. WHY BIG GAME WHY

tbh it's mostly chesschat and talking about counterstrike with only the last page or two being Actual Mafia

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Well that is good to know!

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Quid please solve the game for us

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

And tell me how to win this chess game