Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i'm too cool for murder simulators

[this is a signup]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

is this game delaying The League 2 :wth:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think my closest encounter with counterstrike is in high school, when my best friend's little sister who had a crush on me effectively dropped out of high school to play cs full time

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hi confirming that i am vanilla town

##bet t all

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Opopanax posted:

I have made my first move, soon merk shall be dead, as well as the hopes of a nation

Ah yes the Sokolsky Opening hmm.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Go is fun + good

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i wish i had bet differently

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you just walked into a trap :ohdear:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i can pinpoint exactly where you went wrong

it was when you moved the pawn to b4

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ernie. posted:

i think you're joking but you're right

historically 1. b4 has only been used effectively to lay traps for opponents whose style you're exploiting

i don't recall anyone off hand from the greats consistently winning with it

i'm not joking!

1. b4 was where i went "hmm"
2. f3 was where i went "oh i should have bet on the other guy"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

##vote Chic Trombone

Coaching without making an actual statements about alignment.

this is a fantastically bad vote

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

do you have a "act like a counterstrike pubbie" post restriction

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

does my Fantastically Bad Vote say anything about my alignment?

it could be an attempt to put pressure, so i guess not

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

WO has five previous games on votefinder, three years ago. maybe "a-ha, they're self-consciously faking content" isn't a great argument against them in that context.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dugong posted:

I agree in that I have no clue why Epsilon has posted these comments (I don't think I have played with him before) but I also don't know why they would post it as scum. It will and as set alarm bells off because it is weirdly aggressive this early into the game.

OK I hosed UP THE QUOTING I EDITED TO CHANGE THE QUOTE

Epsilon has always pinged me as incredibly scummy in every game I've been in with him, and he's usually (always?) ended up being town, so I kind of write off snarky scummy comments from him d1.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

PMom in fact seems to be discrediting his own opinion now that Somber is pushing him. I think the difference in the language in these two comments is relevant to this. In PMom's original comment the vote is "fantastically bad". Not sort of bad, or mostly bad - fantastically bad. That seems like a really strongly held opinion. However at the slightest sign of pressure PMom is prepared to walk away from that opinion. In response to Somber the language becomes very weak with the "could" and "i guess".
These are two different opinions. Somber's vote on CT is bad. Somber often unreasonably tunnels on people day 1 as town. I can think these two thoughts at the same time.

quote:

The next comment from PMom is to discredit Ernie's case that he is pushing on WO.

Anything WO has or hasn't done in this particular game is completely irrelevant to PMom dismissing Ernie's case. PMom has not considered the posts by WO before refuting Ernie's argument, as the entire dismissal is based on the number of games WO played before this.

...of course I considered WO's posts?

quote:

PMom's last relevant post, in reply to Dugong commenting on EP.

Again, PMom's comments are basically ignoring this game itself. PMom's opinion of EP is based solely on other games, instead of this game, where EP does have a reasonable number of posts to look at. This post is a dismissal of Dugong's concerns that EP may be scum without reference to the game we are actually playing.
and again, of course my opinion of EP is based on his posts this game. I get that you think meta arguments are bad, but "EP looks bad, but he's posting similarly to how he's posted in the past as town in games I've played with him" is not obviously dumb or useless, though you're trying to frame it that way.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

do you have a "act like a counterstrike pubbie" post restriction

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

yeah ##vote fv

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

I'm still not sold on the fv case myself. I know that'll look bad if it's a scum flip, but I just can't get on it----though the assertion that the vig was obtained via winning the chess game, ehhhhhhn
hmm
##vote aw

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Where did I say meta arguments are bad? Somber has been pushing me specifically because I used a meta argument on Rarity.

You are just making an opinion up about me (FV thinks meta is bad) in an attempt to make it look like our argument is about meta, instead of addressing my actual point, which is that you hand waved away all of EP's posts without making any reference to their context within this game.

my eyes glazed over during the dumb somber/you fight and i attributed his opinion to you, whoops :shobon:

i don't know what point you're trying to make with that second part. "ep makes posts that look scummy, that's his meta" is not a hard thing to comprehend but you seem to have trouble with it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Why am I scum?
I feel like you're taking really innocuous posts from me (and YPM to some extent) and twisting them and rationalising reading them in the worst possible light to make them look scummy.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Why is Allen scum? (As opposed to bad at reading)

That post is just a big wet fart
"I don't like the case on FV"
"but I know this post will look bad if she flips scums"
"oh and by the way here's a reason I'm feeling sketchy about her despite my saying like eight words ago that I don't think she's bad guy"

it's about two notches too defensive and self-conscious

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

would either of you like to elaborate for the rest of the class

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the idea is, what, he makes a joke about using the vig, then immediately uses it? is that scummy, or just reflective of a certain sense of humour?

it seems like an awful use of a vig, joke or no joke. at least shoot a lurker or the guy with the awful PR.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

see what you didn't wait for is after lunch

I always talk poo poo before lunch and then actually read poo poo after lunch

guys i really think we should kill allen

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Okay that's pretty good.

what

you don't actually believe that's a "pretty good" do you

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

it's clever + funny
does that mean you agree with it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

your response to a post you don't agree with was "Okay that's pretty good"?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

yah merk's trying to push the chic case hard is baaaaad

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Is that the only thing you posted where you secretly hold the precise opposite opinion of what you wrote?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i don't see why the role wouldn't be given to scum with the caveat "pick at most one scum"
it might even be more interesting that way - scum picks one scum champion and one town champion and they take each other on in gladiatorial combat
but ~setup spec~

Somberbrero posted:

do you actually think this is an inconsistency or is this just pressure for the sake of pressure?

how is it not? you post something that looks very much to the untrained (and trained!) eye like you're agreeing with a case, but it turns out you don't?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

in both games, you did a

"hmm how should i use my vig"
immediately followed by using it

i think that's a humour/temperament thing, not an alignment thing, but you did do the same thing in both games

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

if you're following a game and you know someone is scum, then everything they do that's noticeable or out of the ordinary (like the vig fakeout you did in that game) becomes "something-they-did-as-scum", so i don't think there's anything weird about chic and ernie remembering/pointing that out.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

merk posted:

No, in the first game I spent the entire previous day fake casing Ernie. In that game on the next day, I gave Ernie an opportunity to claim and then shot him.

I did not ask the thread who to vig in that game. My vig was built on an entire day of scum hunting in that game.

How, again, is that in any way related to this game? How does that lead you down the path of 'this is how merk likes to use vigs as scum'?

specifically the
"Ernie you have six hours or i'm vigging you", followed by vigging him minutes later. that's the part that Chic focused on, i think.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

merk posted:

Here's what I did in this game.

yes. in both cases, you faked not knowing you were going to use you vig, and on who, and then immediately used it. are you really unable to see the similarity at that very micro level?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i like somber the best out of the potential kills, though i'd do any of the three
##vote somber

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ernie. posted:

I'm not asking you to. I just don't think it's very likely that a scumbo would claim VT. I never have and never will.

this is ridiculous

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

Again, you'll need to explain for me to understand, because I don't see an effect. Plus, Amoeba is the one who changed the map; how does that reflect on f_v's alignment?

And if you give me a sololy flavor-based argument, you're going onto the "if I only had a gun" list with Hiip.

Byers, can you talk more about your thought process here? Given that we knew that someone changed the map through a day action, your skepticism re: the map-change actually having affected the game is baffling. Of course it has, but not everybody knows how, and that should be obvious?

The second line here especially looks a lot like fishing - you're demanding an explanation and threatening to put someone on your shitlist (but not making a call on their alignment).

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

God dammit, this is going to be just like X-Men.

##vote merk

merk is scum. He's hiding behind an apparent lack of caring, purposefully making it hard to case him at all. The only time he has been truly engaged has been when Chic went after him. Not because he's scared of the case but because he's offended that he's been cased for the wrong reasons. He can accept being caught as scum, but he's not going to stand by and by accidentally caught as scum when the case used isn't solid. His response to the other points against him are to brush it off, as he has here, because it forces the casers to box shadows. There's no resistance, we tire ourselves out, and we look for an easier case to push. It's part of why pushing a case against merk is so tiring; he makes you work for it and pay for every vote gained in spent effort.

Look back at Ernie's point from yesterday; it was a good one. This is merk, and he seemingly wasted his shot if you consider it from a town point of view. That was not a town shot. Look at the casing he's doing that does not involve Chic. He finds one post that can be called scummy, uses the post as the entirety of the case, and sits on it until forced to do something more. This isn't happenstance; by taking this stance, he can let town run around casing and lynching each other.

In terms of scumminess, f_v has done more to be cased on, but make no mistake, this is merk playing out a scum ploy. And we can't let him stick around because the evidence isn't as abundant, or he will make us pay. In the X-Men game, I said that he's currently the best player playing on SA. I haven't seen anything to make me think that this has changed. He is very good at game theory, and even better at social manipulation. If we let him stick around, he will find a way to either continue to deflect and survive, use his delayed death to suss out PRs, or protect his scumbros behind seemingly solid defenses based on a lot of WIFOM.

I wanted to believe, merk. You broke my heart.

yeah this rings true. x-men was my first time playing with merk, and i was a bit puzzled as to why this guy with a reputation as a great player was so disengaged and shitposting, and he's been a lot more helpful in games where he's town.

##vote merk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i think merk gets a lot of mileage out of just being merk, so that when he does outrageous OMGUSing like he's doing on CT rn, he doesn't get called out on it

• Locked thread