Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah sure I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Amoeba102 posted:

I'll play because I got asked nicely.

I'm only here cause diqnol promised me all the hookers and blow I could handle

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I am here to shoot your d00dz and teabag them as is only proper

##Bet CT All
##vote Opoop

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That's it. I'm going to ignore this thread until everyone stops talking about Counter Strike :colbert:

See you on Day 5!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh are we playing mafia now?

Orpheus's post is dumb as hell but it's not scummy cause what would be the point of saying that as scum? It doesn't look townie, it doesn't help get anyone lynched and ok maybe merk is scum too but that's still way too obvious for scum to say it. To me the reactions are more telling, particularly this one:

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I like ernie and Kumba's line of thought here on Winged Orpheus. Most voteworthy offense so far.

This is a lovely bandwagony-yet-noncommittal post so it looks like KFC's contributing without having to add an original thought of his own ##vote KFC CT's coaching post was also really bad.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Eh, I think the CT case is a bad case but so is this. It's such an easy thing to jump on, someone commenting on a bad case. I think it is a really lazy and "by the books" case, rather than you actually feeling like you've found scum Rarity.

And I don't agree that KFC is worse for his post than Ernie or Kumba. Both those guys actually voted, KFC just said it was worst thing "so far". I think the players actually pushing the CT vote are scummier.

It's D1. It's not even late D1, of course I don't have a slam dunk case yet cause nobody does. I just got a read that pinged me and followed through on it to see what would happen.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ernie. posted:

our dearest friend winged orpheus tried to shoe-horn mafia gameplay where it doesn't belong because he felt like he had to

who feels like they 'have to' add mafia discussion, most people just shoot from the hip at what they disagree with

I'm just not seeing it. It's not a scummy post, it's not a townie post, it's just a dumb joke.

Regarding other new stuff, I'm getting good ~*vibes*~ from FV but I have a feeling Somber's trying to buddy me which is not giving me good ~*vibes*~

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For starters she's totally right in that my case on KFC was easy, just like every other D1 case ever, and while I'm not sure I agree with her view on my meta (especially cause I like to switch up my meta) I think it's something she's thought about logically rather than something she's pulled out of her rear end. And then there's this post:

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Ok, I checked how many games CT had. I thought he/she was new. I was mistaken.

From the games I've played I think scum don't generally admit to their mistakes cause they're scared it's going to be seen as a backtrack to get out of trouble. Whereas so far you've gone out of your way to not only back my case but case the one person who spoke out against it. That alone is enough for me to suspect buddying but (and I'm admittedly not 100% on this) I'm fairly sure when you've been scum in our games together you've always been much less suspicious of me than normal.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

If I'm less ready to put suspicion on you as scum, it's usually because you do a fantastic job of getting yourself lynched. This whole post is another reason why meta-casing is generally dumb as hell, the reason I've been suspicious of you as town in the past is because you say insane nonsense like this and it took me a long time to figure out how you play mafia(poorly). I mean, I lynched you to lose us the game in DS9 as town.

I don't see understand how you reach the conclusion that FV is town at all. No one has said why pushing an easy case day one is a bad thing. FV more or less brushed over it, that doesn't show a depth of thought to me and saying 'town because effort' is Wrong anyway.

To be fair, I said all the way through DS9 I was playing poo poo :P

From reading FV's initial comment on me it seems like she's saying it's making content just for the sake of making content rather than for legitimate scum hunting, which is a reasoning that I can understand (apart from the fact it's D1). And I never said it had anything to do with effort. If I thought that way then I'd think you were town as well!

fiery_valkyrie posted:

more like MMM did in Mean Girls (which I think Rarity and Asiina will understand)

I think you mean... gently caress, which one was it? Mean Girls is the one I modded and MMM wasn't in that one

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Epsilon Plus posted:

This gets a big old :rolleyes: from me though fyi

Well this is scummy as gently caress.

Epsilon Plus posted:

Ernie's mafia-related posts have been pretty poo poo but so have mine so, that's a thing. He makes a good point with regards to exaggeration but I never feel like my posts are "exaggerating" so much as my Posting Style. Somber's posting feels a bit ... I dunno, off? Based on my previous experiences. I'd buy Somber maybe a 3P over anything else but I don't have a good feel as for town/scum for him. He's not being as aggressive as he normally is IMO. More as I digest?

And this is some very weak insight based on the number of people who have been cased or casing.

Currently torn between voting Somber and Epsilon. On the one hand, Epsilon's posts are terrible but on the other, I've never played with him before so maybe that's just how he do whereas I know Somber so I feel more confident in my read there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

True and Real posted:

I'm pushing the deadline back until 10pm EST. Something important has come up that will tie me up until then. Apologies for any inconvenience.

I was just about to say I'd be here for deadline :argh:

I've seen merk push hard for D1 lynches before when he believes he's caught scum so his push on Chic isn't something I see badly. Today I will ##vote Somber because on reflection all the points I made in my previous post are really pinging me and then this

Somberbrero posted:

I see the argument to be made for merk as scum due to suboptimal play, but there might be a reason for that. I can see merk shooting immediately because he's a usual nightkill target. You could apply the same reasoning to his play today, as I recall this is a move he deliberately makes now and then as town like in Terminator. That said, shooting Opopanax doesn't seem to make sense regardless.

I'll vote merk but he's not my top pick.

is a really bad post, as has already been pointed out. Somber, is there anyone you wouldn't vote for today?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Allen Wren posted:

##vote uranus

jesus loving christ, uranus is trying even less than I am.

Literally the only thing the dude did is accuse quid of careposting

derp always does this, it's always really loving annoying

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

what? no there's absolutely no one i wouldn't vote for today. we'll be lucky to lynch as it is.

I just asked because beyond agreeing with my case you haven't made a single comment about people giving you good vibes or town reads. I know they're not that helpful but they're still worth mentioning. Instead you've spent the whole time being antagonistic and pushing suspicion all over the place and it seems to me like you're just hoping to find somewhere where it will stick.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I suddenly wish Capps was in this game :smith:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

i feel like that's untrue as i've gone to bat for EP and WO multiple times.

Ok yeah, I did miss you saying you really wouldn't want to vote for them on my reread so I'll concede that point.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ernie. posted:

##vote ypm

What is this i don't even know :psyduck:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dugong posted:

^courage the cowardly dog and his weirdo owner

This explains nothing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

Who is this post directed at, Somber? It's not f_v, you're talking about f_v to someone. Who is that someone? I've read it five times and my best guess is Somber.

Yes it was Somber. Why does who I'm casing change whether you like it?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

Because it's a leapfrog to avoid... gently caress, someone remind me what that phrase is. You know, the "you cased me, well I'll case you!" phrase.

a) you mean OMGUS and b) you're wrong. When I read Somber's first posts backing me up I initially felt really glad to have someone on my side, which I haven't felt often in mafia and has mostly resulted in that person being scum. Besides, it's not like I was the only person who thought Somber was scum so my suspicions must have had some valid cause.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

a) Thank you! God, I'm getting old.

b) Right, you even said something similar in what you posted, that from a meta read Somber is less suspicious of you when he's scum (but you weren't 100%). I'm not arguing that your case was different than what you posted, but that the thought process that lead to it makes sense from a scum perspective, not town. Your case is unassailable because you built it on meta reads from other games, not what happened here in this game, which is always a plus for scum. And your specific reasons given to suspect Somber (at least thus far I'm only to page 13) are not shared by others, they had their own reasons. So even if you accept the "everyone else thought so, too" defense, it doesn't apply.

Yeah I see what you're saying about my case but that's why I suspected him. If you think that's scummy then I can't really do anything about that, I'm not gonna sit here and try to invent more justifications just to make myself look better.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

Fair enough. Did I miss any really good games while I was gone I should read?

Twin Peaks :getin:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok, time to collect my thoughts. Firstly, the difficulty with which it took Somber's lynch to go through makes me think the people who were around near deadline who hadn't voted are predominantly town. Quid and EP are already dead so that leaves WOrph, Amoeba, FV and Ernie. But more importantly, CT was very active at deadline trying to push for the lynch when the only real thing she'd said about him before was that he was "forced" and that's buzzwordy as hell so that's hitting my scumdar. Then looking at the other people who voted Somber:

Asiina - very active during jokephase, lots of chat about CS and chess but barely posted after actual play started, she's only commentede on two people and I think her case on Eps is just there to look like she's making the effort

KFC - I didn't his early post, I disagree with the stuff he said about WOrph and he had that instant flip-flop which was weird as hell

PMom - has at least posted a lot but I think his noise to signal ratio is low, it's mostly calling stuff bad without drawing any thoughtful conclusions and lots of comments about the game in general such as:

Pinterest Mom posted:

if you're following a game and you know someone is scum, then everything they do that's noticeable or out of the ordinary (like the vig fakeout you did in that game) becomes "something-they-did-as-scum", so i don't think there's anything weird about chic and ernie remembering/pointing that out.

Pinterest Mom posted:

i don't see why the role wouldn't be given to scum with the caveat "pick at most one scum"
it might even be more interesting that way - scum picks one scum champion and one town champion and they take each other on in gladiatorial combat
but ~setup spec~

Pinterest Mom posted:

in both games, you did a

"hmm how should i use my vig"
immediately followed by using it

i think that's a humour/temperament thing, not an alignment thing, but you did do the same thing in both games

Right now my suspicions go PMom > Asiina > CT > KFC

##vote PMom

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

Holy poo poo.

How could you ever call spacebutt annoying after that game?

It's been a while, remind me what he did

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

Expand on this first thought. Why are the people near deadline who hadn't voted likely town?

Because it looks like it was difficult to get that lynch through, Somber was still at -4 with ten minutes to go. I think if those late voters were scum they would have put in the vote earlier instead of leaving it till last minute. I'm not saying it's definite or anything but it's something I think is worth considering.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

It was Somber or no one by that point, right? If I were scum in that position, I'd probably play for the no lynch. merk and f_v weren't getting enough traction, and you can maybe spin it to have a no lynch D1 and a mislynch on Somber D2. I can see just as strong of an argument they'd be scum.

Why would scum want the no lynch?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok yeah this is looking like scum merk to me. He's playing much more defensively than offensively and I think he's trying to keep all his posts short so we have less content to work with.

merk, what are you gonna say if I ask your opinion of PMom?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

Didn't I already comment on PMom?

Oh yes, so you did. Most enlightening.

quote:

I'm not being defensive at all.

I am unconvinced ##vote merk

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ernie. posted:

Byers is though ! ##vote byers

I don't buy this at all. For starters, I don't see scum Byers going to the effort of trying to get merk lynched when he can just NK him but more importantly I thought his case on me was coming from genuine intentions and the tone in his back and forth with merk read to me as legit frustration.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dugong posted:

Why else would you vote someone. A 'maybe scum'. There's the whole flipping point

This is where the point is.

This is where your head is.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Taste, can you expand on why you find Dugong 'weird'?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tremendous Taste posted:

Dugong is weird because he jumps on an innocuous and logical imo position on merk and tried to make it a thing

Ah yeah I know the post you meant. Yeah, that was a dumb post but I'm not sure it's intentionally scummy, I thought it was just Dugong being an idiot.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I just don't see how, if your prior is "YPM is a bad townie", that behaviour adds up to him being scum.

Dammit, why does one of my scum picks have to say something that makes sense :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
2 hours till deadline, everyone's so quiet

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Deadline is only a couple of hours away. Are you two hoping to just slide past unnoticed today?

I'm not a fan of this lurker callout. What do you think of merk? You've done a lot of talk about people's cases on him but you haven't actually talked about him at all

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I'd like to hear your thoughts on them, especially about Asiina's comments on Somber, which I mentioned earlier.

Her vote for Somber looks solely based on a gut read which is easily faked but I've already said Asiina is one of my bigger scum picks anyway.

There is nothing to say about LM because he has posted nothing and will probably be modkilled tonight

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

##vote fv

I promise this is the better call. Live the dream, SA mafia.

Oh look who's here.

merk posted:

I have to go to a visitation in like fifteen minutes. I might not be here at deadline.

Bailing to avoid heat is one of merk's major scum tactics. He told us about it in the X-Men scum doc.

Vote merk for a brighter America :patriot:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zzyzx posted:

If uranus wants it he can do it; I don't like it.

What is this?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Do we have enough people to switch to me instead of no lynching?

In 2 minutes? Unlikely

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
derp why the gently caress do you join mafia games? Cause it's clearly not to play mafia

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Allen Wren posted:

Sorry, guys, I can't vote harder than I did already.

Where's your grit and determination, son? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Asiina posted:

It's not just them, but it's definitely still them.

But of course this is where all sorts of people always show up within 5 minutes of deadline to go "drat I missed deadline."

Dugong posted:

gently caress sakes just finished my essay

This is beautiful

• Locked thread