Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Haier Arcology, or Haier-Arc, looms over Detroit. Its footprint covers what used to be forty square blocks straddling the Detroit River. Now a 305 level windowless behemoth dominates the blighted city in its place. Inside Haier-Arc a million people go about their lives without much thought to what happens on the outside.

The top five levels are the exclusive playground of Haier Corp. executives and their families. There are rumors of ceilings so high that you can’t tell it’s not the sky and an AI that takes care of the privileged's every need, but not much is really known of it to those on the outside.

The remaining higher levels are beautiful and clean, with their own distinct architecture. The people there are well taken care of, there is little crime and security is ever-present and extremely deferential to residents. A sense of normality is maintained with “outdoor” areas full of flora and fauna, simulated day-night cycles and weather.

As you descend down the arcology, the ceilings drop as if under the weight of the levels above. In the mid-levels the architecture becomes standardized, preferring function over form. Public parks become minimal (and largely replaced by dense farms) and the lighting and air more artificial. Life in these levels is fairly stable and secure. But crime is not unheard of and security is not nearly as polite to the residents as in the higher levels.

The lower levels are where things begin to fall apart. The levels containing low margin factories and the homes of their replaceable workers are rampant with crime and security forces are unwilling, or unable to help. Further below are the levels long since forgotten by Haier Corp. Downsized workers and their families have been abandoned, security mechanisms lost to disrepair, and security forces recalled. This is where the only law and order is maintained by organized crime, and most must struggle to maintain a semblance of dignified life in the chaos.

The lowest levels are the guts of Haier-Arc. The power and water treatment plants, the air circulation systems and all the other machinery required to regulate a building housing a million people. Only the truly most desperate try to survive here, and most do not survive long.

How it all ended up like this may matter to the grownups, but it doesn’t matter much to the class of 2100 at Ruimin High. The incoming 10th graders have been brought in from every level of the Haier-Arc (or so the brochures claim) to integrate every culture of the Arcology and produce the leaders of the next generation. Ruimin High is on the 175th level and has a capacity of 2,000 very lucky students. Each class is divided into four sections of 125 students to foster peer groups that cut across the levels of Haier-Arc.

There are 5 spots remaining for new students in the Red Section of Ruimin High. Not only will these students have to find their place in the complicated hierarchy of their section, but they'll have to do so knowing that life in Haier-Arc will likely be the only life they’ll ever know. Oh, and they're monsters and they know there are other monsters out there too, all trapped together in Haier-Arc.

The Cast:

Tommy Blackford, the Mortal

Ronnie Hactar, the Infernal

Eva Bai, the Hollow

Hiroko Nakayama, the Werewolf

Ani "Annie" Fisher-Lee, The Ghost

Vincent Yohloh the Second, the Neighbor

The Charts:

Strings Chart

Seating Chart

The Other Students:

Brock Sarach - Angry cloudbaby. Picks on Vincent. Hangs with Wang and his gang.
Chibuike Takondwa - Exchange student with Afrikanarc. Cultivates an air of mystery, trading on his experience of living outside.
Daniel Gladstone - Smug cloudbaby. His peers think he is pretty cool.
Elizabeth Chang - A middle-middle and a rat, keeping her eyes out for any students she can inform on to teachers to try and get any boost she can to advance. As such, she's sitting in the back corner.
Erika Mizuno - Cool-headed future upper management. She recently got a pretty sweet bike and has been trying to get good with Hiroko.
Iliyn Vorova - Family's rumored to be in the Russian Mafia and he acts like it. Always has an alibi though. Tommy faked an alibi for him.
Isaac Raimondi - Son of Doctor Isiah Raimondi, a former cybernetics researcher for the Google Conglomerate before being recruited by Haier Industries headhunters and brought to Haier-Arc. Casual friends with Eva.
Jani Solari - One of the few people from the lowest levels who passed the prelim exams, she's always with her nose in her vidscreen, cramming info into her brain. She's obviously terrified about not making the cut and getting tossed out down into the gutters.
Justin Duncan - He'd just be a regular guy from the mid-tiers if he wasn't supposed to be one of the best talents in Roller Ball history. He seems to have kept his ego in check too.
Lydia Bailey - Rumored to have been adopted from the down below. But who could survive there?
Michael Lee - A Haier Corp baby with impeccable style and the gene treatments to match. He thinks he's too good for Ruinin High.
Ning Yanyu - Super awkward nerd from the upper levels who plans to run for class president.
Nolan Ryen - Outside of his interest in vintage Americana, a normal enough guy for a cloudbaby. He doesn't carry all the usual prejudice associated with cloudbabies, though he's got some crazy idea about who's “really” running things.
Odette Demaret - Ice-queen, reputed to be a master fencer. Extremely defensive of her family's unimpressive position in the corporate structure.
Rachel Kovoks - Due to a serious medical condition, she attends school through a basic model Leif-Haier Telecommunications Android.
San Dandan - A girl from the upper tunnels, where it's just barely civilized. She's supposedly connected to the Triads and can get any sort of drug, but it's probably just a wild rumor.
Sha Jing - Upperclassmen, son of a board member, resident of level 303, and host of parties no one would dare miss.
Tima Imoto - A cloudbaby with a sunny nature and impish sense of humor. Her family are big names in robotics and software development.
Wang Kai-Chun - Super rich kid from Hong Kong. Runs with a gang. Pretends to be a good teacher's pet.

The Faculty:

Xia Chuanli, Guidance Counsel and Homeroom teacher to Red Section 3 - She's easy going in homeroom but as a guidance counselor she always pushes her students to strive for greater goals.
Dr. Philippe Beauregard, History and Sociology teacher - Massively muscular, exuberant and strongly accented. Rumor has it he has traveled extensively Outside, and will sometimes talk about taking another journey. Maybe special enough students could go on a field trip?
Sue Lee Marlow, Arcography and Cyberdrama teacher - She is one of the oldest teachers in the school now. She was never mean to the lower numbers, but she still favors the cloudbabies something awful, hoping she'll be their favorite and raise her some floor levels. She used to be a lower-middle when I was alive and now she's an upper-middle, so maybe it's paying off for her.
Mr. Weston Centrich, Head of Security - A continually put upon man who is in charge of keeping thousands of teenagers from breaking into sectors (digital and physical) where they shouldn't be. Of course, since the mandatory cybersecurity classes teach students just HOW to break into secure files, he's always manning the firewalls, as it were. Rumor has it he doesn't sleep anymore. You know, had one of those NeverDoze implants hooked up to his spinal cord. They were banned a few years ago, after one of the test subjects went homicidal after the sixth week of no sleep. So, it's just a stupid rumor. Right?
Mrs. Jocelyn Arnault, Wellness Coordinator - I hear this job fell by the wayside, until people started to use VR more often and the "couch potato" meme re-appeared after a near-century of disuse. She checks out the food, is in charge of Athletics, that sort of thing. I wonder how you balance baseball teams when Mr. CFO's Grandson or whatever has genetically engineered enhanced musculature, and nanites for red blood cells. Maybe he just gets picked first every time?
Coach Bobby - He is a giant of pure muscle and he wants YOU to go to arcology finals this year. He's relentless but fair, and he doesn't give up on kids because they don't meet his impossible expectations. Somehow he manages to make them want to exceed them. Some people say he used to be a stims addict, and that's how he got those scars on his arms, but no one ever talks about it.
Wilson the Janitor - Always has pertinent advice for students in need. Oddly enough, that includes the "unusual" students. Bad things tend to happen to students that try to get one over on him, though.
Professor David Winters - He teaches History at the school and has a plan to use integrated ER(Enhanced Reality) sims that incorporate advances from the latest online games "to engage our children more fully in our glorious history" rumour has it he has investors lined up to take it worldwide if the pilot project at the school takes off. His specialty is supposed to be the Resource wars of the first half of the 21st century and he's using that era to beta test his work.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Posting Format:
Please post a short summary of your character's pertinents at the top of each post like so:

TurninTrix posted:

Jamie Chang
Hot 1 | Cold 2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5 | Conditions

Please make sure to keep that info updated as it is easy to forget when you just copy it from a previous post.

Your posts can be in first person or third person. Whichever you prefer. Feel free to include OOC comments or questions at the bottom of your post in italics.

Please keep the strings chart updated as you make posts that alter your strings.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 27, 2014

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

It’s the sixth week of school and you’ve already had your first round of major exams. All the grades were submitted this morning and your parents (and guardians) should be receiving them in an hour. How did you do? Ms. Chuanli seems preoccupied as you come into homeroom, furiously typing away at her keyboard (yes, she still uses one of those).

It’s a good thing Ms. Chanli isn’t paying much attention because the class is a buzz talking about the big party tomorrow. It’s being thrown by Sha Jing, an upper classmen in Red Section, the only son of a board member. Not everyone from the 10th class is invited and it’ll be a death sentence to your social lives if you can’t manage to get an invite. Have you gotten your invite yet? If not, how do you plan on getting one?

Vincent
You had to dodge Brock again on your way into class. He's probably coming in right behind you. Why was he angry at you this time? As you come into class you notice Jani looking at you. As soon as you notice she blushes and drops her eyes back down to her tablet. What do you do?

Hiroko
You barely slept and were almost late coming to school today. What happened last night that got you so frazzled? If that weren't enough you see San Dandan giving you the evil eye as you come in. What do you do?

Eva
You received a very troubling message from an anonymous source last night. What was it? Once you are seated at your table you look up and notice Isaac looking back at you as if he wants to say something. As soon as you catch him looking he looks back away. He does this a few times. What do you do?

Ronnie
You sit down with some heavy thoughts in your mind. The Fallen contacted you last night, and asked you for something. What did it ask for? As you walk in and take your seat you see Tima and Odette are chatting. You could be mistaken but you swear you hear your name. They immediately stop talking as you walk past them. What do you do?

Annie
You were watching Vincent while he was sleeping again. What did you see that worried you? You can't help but notice Daniel, looking smug as usual. He probably has his invite already. All the cloudbabies probably do. And no one will probably notice you long enough to bother extending an invite. Will you just let them walk all over you again? What do you do?

Tommy
You are the last into class, three minutes after your phone buzzed to indicate the start of class. Why were you late? You walk towards your seat and see Hiroko, the love of your life, and Eva sitting side-by-side. They weren't sitting there before last week. Hiroko must have switched seats with Erica. You'd heard they were dating before, but now it's obvious it's not just a rumor. What do you do?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Eva Bai
Hot -1 | Cold -1 | Volatile +1 | Dark +2
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5 | Conditions

The exam was completed within acceptable bounds. It was a simple application of previously acquired information. It is not what I am focusing on. I am focusing on the message I received at 0215 this morning from an effectively untraceable address. Message is as follows.

quote:

To: ebai1445@hmail.278.arc
Subject: Reunions

Heeey Eva. We need to talk. It's really been too long, ya know. You know that karaoke place two blocks over from that new school of yours? Room 205, today, four o'clock once school's out, be there or be square. You don't want to be square, do you?

Bye-Bye, Bai
@_@/

I do not know who could have sent this message. Consulting Eva Bai's records do not clarify matters. "asurprise" is a dummy account, fed through at least four proxies. I do not have the time to track this person down. The most I can do is a preliminary scan before walking into the meeting, and I will still be mostly blind. This is not a satisfactory situation, but it is not a situation I can afford to avoid. I must learn more about this.

I must also learn more about Isaac is doing. His actions today have been rather odd. Further investigation is necessary. Given prior relations with him, a direct approach will most likely give results. I type a quick message and send it directly to him.

Direct ABYSS Message posted:

Isaac: What do you want to talk to me about?

I lean past Nolan's seat and stare at Isaac as he reads my message, head cocked slightly to the side. How will he react? I will find out soon.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 27, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tommy Blackford
Hot 1 | Cold 0 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | EXP 1/5 | Conditions: None

Tommy sneaks into the back of the classroom and takes his seat, doing his best to avoid Ms. Chanli's attention. Thankfully, he'd just managed to make it in before his name was called for roll, so he was technically not tardy. He silently thanks whoever delayed Ms. Chanli from taking roll until he got here. After he responds to his name, he pulls out his portable terminal. He plugs it into his desk and checks his notifications. Report cards were out apparently. And he'd gotten some mail overnight. What catches his eye first, however, are the safety alerts for the area. Apparently the cops who were redirecting traffic this morning were directing it away from the giant hole that had formed a few blocks away. Apparently, someone had been careless when programming some of the nanobots that maintain the support structure of the Arcology, and they'd neglected the area until it just collapsed. At least, that's what's out on the vids.

Next up was the report card. As he flipped through, Tommy wasn't surprised with his grades. When it came to cybersecurity, he was excellent at the theory but, since he wasn't about to slice his arms up in the middle of class, only decent in the practicals, which averaged out to a low A. He did well enough in the other classes so his parents wouldn't give him poo poo about that. Most of it was just busywork, though. Like anyone needed to memorize obscure facts when the ABYSS was at your fingertips.

The email brought some welcome news. He'd secured an invite to the party tonight. Iliyn had owed him one and getting an extra invite wasn't that big of a deal for someone like him.

Unfortunately, Hiroko looks like she really is going out with Eva. For gently caress's sake... He slouches down into his chair and starts absentmindedly skimming across the Abyss, not really focusing on what's on the screen but brooding about his dilemma instead.

Gaze into the Abyss about hooking up with Hiroko: 2d6+1 6
Welp, good thing I can start the game out with a bang.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 27, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hiroko Nakayama
Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

Last night? Just a late night errand. I find it both my family and civic duty to clean the arcology of some unwanted garbage.

Some cokeheads from the tunnels tried to make noise on my floor. Crashed into a store which we had a racket and tried to rob it for cash. I rolled in with my gang and gave them a harsh lesson in overstepping their bounds. Nothing fatal, just broke a few bones and drove them off. They lashed back pretty badly, though. Nearly lost an arm when that rear end in a top hat shoved me near that open heat vent. The hot air still scalded me a bit, but at least the wolf blood took care of burns better than a missing eye. Didn't make for a good night's sleep, though.

By the time I made it to class, the burns were down to a red patch of skin inside my sleeves. Dandan sure gave me the evil eye when I came in, even drew a finger across her throat to tell me that I'm dead. Guess those druggies were her friends. I'll deal with her later.

Right now, I turn over to the quiet lady on my left, tapping away on probably an invisible keyboard. I'm trying to do well in class, but too much "excitement" gets in the way of my studies. I don't think I would have gotten a good mark on those exams without Eva's help. I'm glad she's finally come around... I'm not sure what has changed since her coma, but it's definitely for the better.

"Eva." I smile, reaching my arm around her shoulder. Hopefully enough to distract her from whatever she's doing. "You want to hang out after school? Blue Clamshell's going to have an big event tonight. I can get us VIP access."

Rolling Hot on Eva? Trix, 2+2 = 4. Wow.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Ronnie Hactar
Hot -1, Cold 0, Volatile 1, Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

Plutonium. What the hell does the Fallen need plutonium for? I know for sure it don't need it for the power, it's all data near as I can tell. I was paying enough attention in Applied Physics to know that the amount it's asking for won't make a bomb. Why does it even think the school has a supply? If that kind of stuff is anywhere it'd be on the lab levels, right? Maybe it's just loving with me again, making me work my rear end off to get unicorn farts for a joke. Gotta wonder sometimes if it's even half-way fuckin' sane. Still, at least unlike mosta these chumps I don't have to worry about my report card. If any results were low enough to attract attention it would have cracked the files open and done a little magic for me. I did OK on my own though, don't need Fallen getting all smug about how much I need it. Better marks in the practical stuff, worse in the theory.

I'm still half trying to figure out what Dr. Oppenheimer.dat (hey, I said I was paying attention in App. Phys.) wants with 200 grams of highly radioactive bullshit when I start to tune in to Tima and Odette's little chat, all I hear is -

quote:

:france: And somehow I hear that Jing has had the nerve to invite Ron-

Before Tima shushes her. They're probably still talking about whatever it is via AR. If it's about the party tonight I officially DNGAF, I make my way here through being too much of a pain in the rear end to get rid of, not by brown-nosing. If Sha Jing wants the trained monkey to come and dance for him, well, the food better be good. Funny that Odette heard about it before I did though. Ugh, now I want to try and tap into their chat to see what she knows. I don't really wanna turn Fallen loose on anything involving Tima, but maybe I can handle a little dip in the abyss on my own. Against Odette's systems, of course. The top qual stuff in T's head might be a bit much for me on my own.

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6+1 9

Would like to know what Odette and Tima are talking about, I'll take confusing and alarming, and mark XP

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 27, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ani "Annie" Fisher-Lee
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

When you phrase it like that it seems kind of creepy, in a pathetic sense. I prefer to think of it it more as 'watching Vincent, while he happens to be asleep.' Much more dignified. Uh, anyway. I was watching him, and I noticed the live viewers count on his webcam went up, and didn't go back down for a long time. Someone else is watching him too, but why?

That isn't as important right now though, I have bigger things to think about, like gently caress you Daniel and gently caress that party too. Some lameass poo poo full of upper-middles at the lowest I bet. It isn't like my social life is alive anyway, nothing to worry about. Still, it seems like a good chance to do something. The way I see it I have two options for this, Vincent or Ronnie. Vincent makes me want to punch him whenever he talks, but he's air brained enough not to pay attention to what level someone is from, so he'd probably invite me if I smiled at him and asked. If I wanted to stoop that low. Ronnie owes me, and anyway I'm pretty sure he hates the cloudbabies as much as I do, so it probably wouldn't be hard to talk him into messing with the party with me. Lock the doors and trigger the fire sensors maybe, or upload a virus to their room so when one of them jacks in they get all loopy. Heh.

Well, nothing says I can't do both. Lets try Vincent first, he's probably the easier route.

ABYSS Instant Messenger posted:

Vince, turn around.

I wait for him to get the message and turn, then give him my best attempt at a flirting smile.

[18:55] <godfish> !r 2d6-1 [18:55] <Krysmbot> godfish, 10-1 = 9

Going to the party?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Vincent Yohloh II
Hot +2 Cold -1 Volatile +1 Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0+1/5 | Conditions:

Ah, another day at Ruimin High! I'm feeling good today because I passed all of my classes. Well, okay, I didn't do as great in them as I'd like--curse the Macroeconomics final! Two letters switched cost me 20 points!--but they were forwarded to my parents and I haven't gotten anything back. Which is good! If I'd gotten any messages with a subject line of "We need to talk" or "Dad's flying home" I'd be more worried. But I didn't! So I'm not worried! About the grades anyway. Brock is still a big jerk, though. I think he said something like, uh...oh, yeah! He actually jumped out of my locker and said "Jani's mine, you something thingy!" He didn't really say "something-thingy", but, uh...

I'm not quite sure why Brock's after me because of Jani, or why Jani blushed at me when I came in. I mean, I know I spotted her a few credits once for lunch, but that doesn't mean we have anything between us, do we? And why would Brock be interested in--

Oh, new message! I wave my hand and tap the desk to open it up and...turn my shoulder over to look at Annie. She smiles at me, and I give her my winningest smile back. She's so nice...

"Yeah! Yeah, I plan to go. You mean Sha's party, right? Yeah, I got an invite here...I think...lemme check..."

I tap the desk a few more times to open up my intranet mail, and also tap out a few little invites on the instant message program

/invite FisherLee.Ann Private.Channel.101
/invite Solari.Jani Private.Channel.101

I'm going to give Annie what I think she wants--an invite to the party! With a sting in the tail of course.

"Ah, here it is!" I throw open a window for Annie and Jani to see. "And it says here I can bring guests! So, uh..." I feel my cheeks blush a little. Is this what they call a date? "Do, uh...do either of you want to come?" I have to reach up and delicately push my hair out of my eye with two fingers. So nervous! "I mean, uh...it doesn't say there's a money restriction, but you both look nice enough that I can vouch for you anyways..."

/PM FisherLee.Ann
you really do have such nice eyes, Annie

Okay, I've given Annie what I think she wants. Now I get to try to do something back! I'm going to turn Annie on with Vincent's natural hot messness!
[20:20:04] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+2
[20:20:06] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 6+2 = 8
Ball's in your court, Annie!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 28, 2014

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Eva

You see Isaac practically jump in his seat when he receives the message. He looks like he’s about to turn around to look at you but he stops himself from doing it. He responds:

Eva: Hey. I was just wondering if you needed an invite to Sha Jing’s party tomorrow night?

What do you do?

Tommy

You’re just skimming across the Abyss while thinking about bigger problems. But of course, you don’t skim by looking through the latest blog posts and celebrity news. Even on your most casual jaunts you tend to find yourself in some restricted sites.

While your thoughts churn with images of Eva and Hiroki dancing together while you brood in a dark corner all alone, you find yourself looking at the processes running on the main network switch of Ruinin High’s computer system.
One of them in particular catches your attention. It’s gathering all data tagged with a unique identification number and routing it to an outside address. An instant search reveals that the ID number matches Eva Bai’s system identification number.

What do you do?

Ronnie

Odette can’t afford any of the best protection, certainly not any Black ICE, so your nervous system is safe. You make quick work of her firewall and tap into her direct messaging system. You open her messaging steam with Tima and get hit with a big surprise.

Psychotropic ICE. This poo poo may not keep you out, or fry your brain for touching the wrong data stream, but it fucks with your senses and cuts the data you take into a kaleidoscope of sensory input.

You find yourself on a checkered floor, dressed in white robe, a pair of angel wings spread from your shoulders. Sha Jing’s image floats high in the room, projecting lasers lights in tune with the blaring acid house beat. Tima dressed in a holo-dress takes your hand and pulls you close and you begin to dance.

Just as you get into a groove, she laughs and pushes you away into the arms of Odette, dressed like a black knight. You pull yourself away but she pulls you back with a grip as firm as a vice. You feel a shock of cold and look down. Her other hand is holding a sword which has pierced through your chest.

The data feed cuts off and you mind snaps back to the classroom.

What do you do?

Vincent and Annie

Jani perks up from her tablet, turns around and blushes at Vincent as soon as she gets the invite. She turns back to her tablet and quickly responds.

Private.Channel.101 posted:

Solari.Jani: yeah, i’d love to come! Thanks

Annie can’t help but think she probably didn’t even notice that there was another girl in the channel.

What do you two do?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tommy Blackford
Harm 0/4 | EXP 2/5 | Conditions: None

Oh. Oh my. Someone's being a bad girl. And a so sloppy about it, at that. It's a wonder she hasn't been caught. I mean, just plopping a snooper down and letting it go to town? At least have the snooper copy the data and then come back later so you can withdraw it all locally. It looks much less suspicious. He takes a few screenshots of the network logs and sends Eva message.

ABYSS Instant Messenger posted: posted:

Hey, just a heads up. Noticed you're having a little fun on the network. You really should knock it off for now.
Don't want a cutie like you getting tossed out because of some sloppy hacking. We should talk at lunch.

When she turns around to look back, he pretends to not be watching, before giving her a sidelong look and winking.

Turn On Eva: 2d6+1 6, mark XP

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ani "Annie" Fisher-Lee
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

Did.. Did he really just do that?! I have to double check, but yes. He actually just invited two girls at once to the party. Aaaaaaarghhhhh. Its at times like this I really wish this was a century ago so I could slam my iLap or dronephone or whatever lid shut to vent some anger. And not see that message he just sent. poo poo poo poo now I'm furious and blushing! I'm not even close enough to punch him in that stupid, hot, face.

Jani's response doesn't help matters either. I like you Jani, or, well, I don't hate you, but you aren't making any friends here. I'd really like to say something biting here, but he probably wouldn't even notice, and I do want that invite as a backup... And I think he was actually flirting with me there. He at least had the sense to send it via PM. I'm not touching that private channel though while Jani's still in it.

Private.Channel.101 posted:

/PM Yohloh.Vin2
yeah. I'll go with you.

Promising something she thinks he wants, to go to the party with her.

God, I need to think about anything else right now. Glancing around the room my eyes settle on Ronnie, who looking a bit stiff. Looking at something in the ABYSS maybe?

"ABYSS Instant Messenger posted:

@Hactar.Ron: Sdown? Got any plans for tonight?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Eva Bai

"Can't. Something came up last night. I will need to deal with it before we can hang out." Hiroko has shown herself to be physically affectionate when desiring intimacy. This is somewhat limiting when attempting to maintain an outside conversation. I wrench my arm from between us to swipe open the incoming message from Isaac and... ... ... place it on Hiroko's shoulder. Physical affection should be reciprocated when possible as to display continued interest.

Isaac's response is simple, but it has several implications. First: That he has an invitation to spare. Neither his invitation or his lack of associate to bring with him is a surprise. Two: That he believes that I do not have an invitation. This is an accurate assumption. While I could most likely secure an invitation from my club contacts, I have not been personally invited. Three: That Isaac believes himself close enough to me to invite me. This would give me significant social leverage over him. However, there are other factors in play when accepting his implicit invitation. While attending parties with friends is common. this is typically only done when neither person has an established romantic relation to attend the party with instead. I do, thus accepting Isaac's invitation would be abnormal, thus I would attract attention. While the social clout that comes with attending Sha Jing's party is valuable, I must explore other means of entry before accepting this invitation. I put together a short response to him while considering my options.

Not yet, but I might soon. Give me a few minutes.

"Hiroko, do you-one second. I have another message." From Tommy Blackford, this time. This could be a problem. No, no, this is a problem. He knows. He knows. I had suspicions, now I am certain. Automated flight or fight responses begin to kick in. I override them. This is not the time for either. This is the time to consult records and establish the security hole. ... Records show three discrepancies with Tommy's message. First discrepancy: Active data acquisition from school servers was halted 4.5 weeks ago due to the collection of all accessible non-repeated information; focus then transitioned to passive monitoring of server information for updates to information. Second discrepancy: In accordance with Directive Two, I have avoided deep mining of school data as to avoid undue attention. While I would be reprimanded for accessing what I have, I do not believe I would be "tossed out because of it". Third discrepancy: Monitoring of school servers has been ongoing for six weeks. School cybersecurity has not discovered me yet. An implantless student discovering what trained professionals could not is possible but highly unlikely. Something strange is going on here. I will discover what.

Tommy looks back at me. I lock eyes with him, my message implied but clear. I will meet with him during lunch, but I will not enjoy it. I cannot afford not to. Instead of continuing this train of thought, I clear my throat as a way to show Hiroko that I am finished on AR.

"As I was saying, do you have any plans for Sha Jing's party?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ronnie Hactar
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

OK, what the blue gently caress was that? P-ICE (or Yellow Snow, if you're like, 12) is so fuckin' annoying. The data is all there, but half the time you can't figure it out until you get the right context clues. I make up a mind-map and try to sort what I know into useful information:

1. There is a party tonight being hosted by Sha Jing
  2. I haven't got an invite yet
  3. Odette was just talking about me (unless there's another Ron around here)

Apply that to the P-ICE data:

1. I should expect an invitation - last minute? in exchange for something maybe?
  2. Tima and Odette are going to be there
  3. Odette is going to be pissed that I'm there
  4. I'm going to need a costume

I get distracted from color coordinating shut up it helps me keep track and labeling data scraps by a message alert from Annie, the dead girl. Now there's a real fuckin mystery. Fallen tipped me off that she was weird, and showed me the video where she dies, but I got no idea how she's back. Maybe a clone or something?

ABYSS IM posted:

@FisherLee.Ann: Hey, Spooky. Just ate a bunch of yellow snow, but I'm pretty sure that Sha Jing wants to grace me with his presence tonight. NFI why. Prime opp. for a little mayhem though.
@FisherLee.Ann: You going to be haunting his halls as well?

Tempted to ask her for a hand with my plutonium problem, but that's kinda going on the back-burner for the moment.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hiroko Nakayama
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

I try not to wince when Eva places her hand on my shoulder. The burn still need some more time to fully heal.

"The one tomorrow night?" I answer, still smiling. I don't think I've been personally invited yet, but... I jerk a thumb towards the seat on my right. "Erika's real close with Sha Jing. As long as we tag along with her, no one will bat an eye. We can get in no problem at all." Always good to have friends in high places.

Of course, I haven't actually asked Eva out to the party yet. I suppose it was an easy assumption to make. With the way that she keeps focusing on her AR displays rather than me, I'm not so sure now. Let's push a little more. "What's this you have to take care of? Can I help?"

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Hiroko and Tommy

The Public Announcement light comes on and a soft ding indicates an incoming announcement.

PA System posted:

Hiroko Nakayama and Tommy Blackford, kindly report to the Head Disciplinarian Office immediately.

Simultaneously, the student body and faculty all receive a transcript of the PA announcement. Ms. Chuanli looks up from her monitor and looks at the two of you with a very disappointed face.

What do you do?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Eva Bai

"This is a personal matter, Hiroko. I need to deal with this myself." Before I could determine what to say next, I am interrupted by the public announcement. Given Hiroko's history, this is an expected but worrying development. Tommy's need to report in is a surprise, however. I will need to ask Hiroko what he did when she returns. As soon as the announcement is finished I begin extricating myself from Hiroko, giving her a quick peck on the cheek to show my continued affection and solidarity before separating completely.

"Don't worry. I'm sure you'll be fine."

When Hiroko leaves, I turn my attention back to AR. Isaac is probably still waiting for a response. Now that I have confirmed that Hiroko can gain access to the party, I will give him one.

Erika can get me and Hiroko in. Don't worry about it.

You're going too, right? We should all hang out. I'm sure Hiroko would love to meet you.

(One thing Eva didn't think about while writing that message: that a teenager can and will see innuendo where none is intended, especially when a girl that they have a crush on is inviting them to 'hang out' with her and her girlfriend.)

Rolling to Turn Isaac On:
[13:07] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, 9-1 = 8

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tommy Blackford

He frowns at Eva's look. He didn't really think he was being rude or anything. Ok, yeah, his end goal was breaking up Hiroko and her, but he didn't have anything against her personally. And it's not like she knew that, either...

Ah well. Another little bit of evidence for the pile. Something really was wrong with that girl.

At the announcement, he severs his ABYSS connection, but the damage was probably already done. Technically speaking, he'd just been watching the traffic, not really doing anything to it. He didn't think that the administration was going to care too much about the technicalities, though. But, what had Hiroko done? Knowing her, it could be anything.

As they're walking along in the hallway, he runs his hand through his hair and lifts one side of his mouth, in an annoyed grimace.

He takes in a deep breath and sighs before asking, "So, why do you think they're on your case?"

Turn on my twu wuv: 2d6+2 10

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Vincent Yohloh II
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions:

Alright! Passing grades, a party later on, AND I got to invite more people! Everything's coming up Vincent! I resist the urge to visibly fist pump as I prepare to type out more on the private...hello, what's this announcement. Hiroko and Tommy...hasn't Tommy been making goo-goo eyes at her for a while?

ABYSS private channel posted:

Yohloh.Vin2: Probably just telling them that the custodial robot closets are for custodians
Yohloh.Vin2: and not for
Yohloh.Vin2: well
Yohloh.Vin2: making kissy faces at each other

Is that actually what's happening? I have no idea, but it sounds cute and at least a little plausible. I continue to wave my hands over the desk.

Yohloh.Vin2: Anyway
Yohloh.Vin2: You both should try to get more of your friends to come
Yohloh.Vin2: the more the merrier
Yohloh.Vin2: it'll be great!
Yohloh.Vin2: the guy has a pool! A heated pool!
Yohloh.Vin2: and I think he's got a live dessert chef too
Yohloh.Vin2: you guys have any food allergies? Like soy or nuts or whatever? I can put them on the RSVP

Okay, I probably look like a complete twit tapping at my desk like a DJ at the turntables, but hey! Not every day somebody throws a party and invites me and let's me bring guests ofy own, right?

Do Vincent's rather shallow concerns count as a trigger for Home Life? It isn't exactly on the same level as Annie's concerns.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 28, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hiroko Nakayama
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

God. Eva's too busy to hang out with me and now I get called to the office again? Come on, it's just homeroom, don't gently caress with me so early in the morning!

I reach to kiss her, but she beats me to it. Cheeky. "Don't feel too lonely without me." I say, hopefully looking cool when I leave the room in a swagger.

As I hit the hallways, Tommy Blackford trails behind me. Wires guy, right. I guess what a kid like him would get in trouble for. But why do we get the same call to the office?

I just give him a shrug for an answer. "Who the hell knows? I bet it's just trumped-up bullshit. They'll do anything to throw out the 'garbage' around here." Yes, with the scare quote fingers.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Ani "Annie" Fisher-Lee
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

I snicker slightly as Ronnie's first reply pops up, and glance over at him again. P-ICE has been getting fairly popular for people who can't afford or make their own better security, but if your keeping an eye out for it its usually pretty easy to work around. Which is a thought that definitely won't haunt me later on, I'm sure.

@Hactar.Ron: ha! who pissed in your mouth?
He's getting an invite from Sha Jing himself though? That's irritating and puzzling at the same time. What in Arc did Ronnie do to catch the eye of someone that high up?

@Hactar.Ron: I was thinking the same thing
@Hactar.Ron: pulled an invite out of vincey the airbrain
@Hactar.Ron: not sure about the best way to mess with it though

I get a bit derailed from that train of thought as the PA announcement barges in and then Vincent starts chatting it up on the channel again. Are Tommy and Hiroko a thing then? Tommy wasn't really one of my top targets, but he's from high enough up I wouldn't mind sending some trouble his way. This might be worth looking into if Hiroko is cheating on Eva.

Bit hard to focus on thinking about that possibility though with the private channel flashing away for attention. Bring it back up top, I have to stare at it for a moment. Is this what its like to be in a cloudbabies head? Nothing to think about but pools and dessert chefs and food allergies all day? Must be nice. I let out a sigh and shake my head as I reply, I never had a chance at that sort of life even before I died. Why should he get one? I stare at the reply I had prepared bitterly for a moment, "no allergys" then delete it unsent. He's just begging to get taken off his high horse in the sky. I'll show him what a troubled life is like. I'll show them all. Tonight, at the party. And I know just how to do it.

@Hactar.Ron: got an idea
@Hactar.Ron: you no anything about jack architecture?

Vincent, take the condition Delicious for your normal life.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ronnie Hactar
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

Oh, laugh it up, Annie. We'll see who's laughing the next time you get to go on a fuckin spirit quest instead of having a nice quiet dive.

ABYSS IM posted:

@FisherLee.Ann: i think :france: might have been bleed from another system though

Only fair to warn her though, no sense being a jerk about it.

When the PA goes off I try to remember if I've left any trails of crumbs that would have got those two in trouble. I think I'm clean but with all the poo poo I get up to I lose track.

ABYSS IM posted:

@FisherLee.Ann: haha, how'd you catch the eye of :downs:
@FisherLee.Ann: seriously im not sure he knows who he is, let alone the rest of the class.
@FisherLee.Ann: how much more damage could you do than just letting him do his thang is my point

Yohloh is like...a baby bird. yeah yeah we all know I've never seen a live bird, I do loving study sometimes He makes annoying noises, shits in his own nest, and is basically completely helpless except when he's way above your head. Also like a baby, he brings out mothering instincts in the least likely of people. If Annie is getting sucked into his wake of disaster then good luck to her.

Jack architecture, huh? Like a lot of things I know just enough to get me in trouble. But I'm a fast learner.

ABYSS IM posted:

@FisherLee.Ann: lil bit. keep talking

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Eva

Isaac looks back at Eva and blushes again.

Yeah, I guess I am. Can we meet up beforehand and go in together?

Take a string on Isaac

What do you do?

Vincent

Solari.Jani: Both?
Solari.Jani: Oh…
Solari.Jani has left the channel.

Jani’s shoulders slump and she drops her head as if she’s trying to turn invisible.

What do you do?

Tommy and Hiroko
The Head Disciplinarian Office is a few corridors and a lift down from your homeroom. You enter through a wide door bearing the sign:

Jung Ruolan
Head Disciplinarian

As you enter the room, your eyes are forced to adjust to the brightly lit interior. The office is covered in illumipaint on all four walls and the ceiling. Even Mrs. Ruolan’s desk top is illuminated bright white.

Mrs. Ruolan is seated behind the large desk and dressed in immaculate corporate fashion. She nods towards the chairs instructing you to take your seats. The chairs are sized for grade school and placed so close to each other than when you sit down, you are pressing up on each other. Moving the chairs apart isn’t an option as the chairs are held fast to the floor.

Hiroko recognizes this as a common interrogation tool. To deny your prisoner their personal space and comfort. You wait a few more minutes in silence before she turns to Hiroko, “Ms. Nakayama, it has come to the school’s attention that you have been participating in some rather unorthodox activities outside of school. As you are aware, per Section 3, Paragraph 12 of the School Charter, you are held to the same level of standards outside of school as you are within. As such, this behavior is clearly unacceptable.”

She turns slightly to stare down Tommy, “and you, Mr. Blackford. I expected to only have to discipline one student in Red Section 3 this morning. But I was just notified that you have accessed a restricted sector of our network system this morning, and did an extremely poor job of covering your tracks. Mr. Centrich specifically asked me to relay his disappointment in you.

“Per his request, you will be assigned to debug the school inventory database after classes today. Ms. Nakayama, you will assist him to the best of your abilities. I expect I will not be seeing you again this semester. It will not be as pleasant for your otherwise.”

She turns back towards her monitor clearly indicating that you are dismissed. Almost on queue a soft bell indicates the end of the homeroom period.

What do you do?

Also, just a quick reminder that the party is tomorrow. Not tonight, since I think that may have gotten mixed up in some posts. Feel free to wrap up so we can move on to the next scene.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Eva Bai

I don't see why not. Where do you want us to meet you?

Isaac's blushing is highly irregular. Further investigation is necessa-Classes are now beginning. Investigations must be postponed.

Ready to jump forward to the next free period when you are.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hiroko Nakayama
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

So much for my free time after school.

I don't say anything, but I roll my eyes. What does she expect me to do, roll around like a good dog? Just like the rest of these cloud babies? I wave her off as I leave.

"I don't know anything about databases," I say to Tommy, assuming that he's following behind me. "I'll take your lead after class, I guess."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tommy Blackford

As they leave, Tommy sighs. He'd been sparing with Centrich for most of the school year so far, and the disdain that Centrich's message expressed had really gotten to him. He'd have to do something big to make up for it.

Tommy tells Hiroko, "It's not really hard work. Just dull and time consuming. That's why Centrich pawned it off on us. I'll probably need a hand crosschecking entries with addresses, but it's mostly a one person job."

He mutters, "Still think it's bullshit they didn't catch Eva..."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Vincent Yohloh II
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Delicious

No response...No news is good news on that front? Wait...oh. Oh. OH MY--!

Aaah, Jani must have thought I was inviting her on a date! Like, a super private touchy-feely muchas smoochies date! Aaah, now she's going to go to Brock and cry about me to him and I'm going to be stuffed in a locker so hard I'll leak out the bottom! What do I do, what do I do, I need to make it up to her at lunch or something oh bog and god and nuts! Don't come in, Brock, and if you do, don't talk to Jani before lunch!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 30, 2014

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

It's 1 PM in the cafeteria. Red Section 1 through 5 eat lunch together in the same hour.

Hiroko

You’ve been looking forward to spending some time with Eva all day. You know you aren’t going to have much time afterschool, so it better be now. You see her heading into the cafeteria and you can easily catch up with her.

What do you do?

Eva

There’s been one thought preoccupying your mind the whole morning. “Does he know?” You keep running potential scenarios through your head; the various ways you could have left yourself open to being discovered. You know logically, the probability that you made a mistake he could have discovered are very low. But what else could he have meant?

You see Tommy in the cafeteria and as you are about to head over to him, Hiroko spots you and jogs over.
What do you do?

Tommy

Sitting in the cafeteria you can’t help but think about being able to spend some time alone with your true love. True, it’s not the ideal romantic circumstances you would prefer, but you’ll have to take what you can get. Especially with her seemingly so tight with Eva.

Speaking of the couple, you see them at the entrance to the cafeteria and you feel a pang of jealousy in your stomach. They look so good together. Everyone else must think so too.

What do you do?

Ronnie

You are about to get in line for food when you see a message flash across your AR display:

12.8 g Pu 238 . . .

The last dot blinks for five seconds before the message disappears. The Fallen has been patient in the past, but you’ve never really tested it.

Out of the corner of your eyes you see Odette and Tima chatting and laughing together at their own table. Have they always been such close friends or is this a new thing? Almost in answer to your unspoken question, you catch Odette glance your way with a smirk on her face.

What do you do?

Vincent

It doesn't take you long to get through the short line at the organic counter of the school cafeteria. This is where they serve traditionally grown fruits and vegetables and real meat. Only a small percentage of the school and afford these meals and oddly enough, there seems to be more servers behind this counter than the other ones.

As you turn around to head to your table, your tray collides with Brock’s extended hand and your meal spills on the floor.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn't see you there,” Brock says, but his smirk, and Wang and his buddies’ laughter behind him, suggests he isn't really sorry at all.

What do you do?

Annie

It’s been hard getting the thought of Vincent’s privileged life out of your head. He just has it so easy. You can’t help but think he’d make the perfect target for your rage. Though there are probably more deserving targets out there.

In the cafeteria, you see one of them. Brock’s always picking on Vincent; probably because he doesn’t have the courage to pick on the harder kids from the lower levels. They wouldn’t take his poo poo laying down like Vincent does.

He deserves your rage as badly as any of those cloudbabies who killed you. Of course, you could always let them fight among themselves.

What do you do?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hiroko Nakayama
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

Why Eva?

That's what I meant to ask Tommy, except I was too livid over Mrs. Ruolan to think about anything else. Ugh, this after school thing sounds more like a waste of time than actual punishment. If they're going to grill me for running a gang, why not go and say so? I spend my morning classes in utter frustration.

Whatever. For now, I run up to Eva and match her pace as we walk towards the cafeteria. I don't make any effort to hide it. I just sidle next to her and hold her hand.

"drat, I was hoping to crash whatever you were gonna do." I shrug. I told Eva about the school inventory job earlier in class. "Guess I'll make it up to you at the party tomorrow."

I spot Tommy again at the corner of my eye, but I don't pay too much mind. I'll be seeing him plenty later.

Turning Eva on again! Trix, 8+2 = 10. I'll take a string!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Eva Bai

"I'm sure you will." The corners of my mouth autonomously begin to curl upwards as endorphin levels rise. I initially fought against these autonomous reactions. I considered this body a tool to be controlled. I still consider it as thus, but I have learned that going against autonomous processes is difficult if not impossible. Also, other persons seem to approve of seeing autonomous functions such as these.

I consider the potential topics of conversation as Hiroko and I walk to the line for processed vatmeat products. Both my appointment and Hiroko's punishment are delicate subjects; it would be ill-advised to discuss them now. I need to know what Tommy has told her; asking her about this would raise additional suspicion. Meeting Isaac before the party should be brought up before the party; as a simple situation that is related to the previous topic, this is the most suitable topic for continued conversation.

"My friend Isaac asked to attend the party with us. Is that alright? He already has a ticket, we would just need to meet him beforehand."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tommy Blackford

If Eva wanted to flaunt her girlfriend in front of him, fine. There was plenty of time in lunch, and he didn't need to sit here and just watch. He's just go talk to someone else.

There, Ronnie. Ronnie's normally up to something interesting. Tommy intercepts him and swings an arm over his shoulder, saying quietly, "Heya, Ronnie. I was glad to hear the account info I got for you worked out. Honestly, it was a pretty fun little project. Got anything else cooking?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ronnie Hactar
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

I'm just stressing out a little about the Fallen getting on my case about the plutonium when Tommy comes up and starts hanging off me. It's a good thing he's so light. I put my lunch tray down and lean in to talk quietly back at him:

"Glad to hear you enjoyed tracking that data down, it's gone to a good home now. I don't really have anything else on the go right-"

Blink. Blink. Blink. That little cursor light is still in my AR. I subconsciously clench my fist. Dammit, the machine is only this insistent when he thinks I need to act fast.

"Cancel that last. I need to get my hands on some fairly hot property, like radioactive. You got any idea who might be able to help me out with that?"

poo poo, wait, saying that to a dude with his hands all over you might have come across the wrong way.

Turn on Tommy: 2d6-1 6

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hiroko Nakayama
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

"If he has a ticket, he could get in fine on his own." I shrug, though I know better than to actually say no. "Sure, why not. We're all going to meet up at Erika's place before the party."

I peer and tap against the glass case along the cafeteria, deciding whether I'm going to pick the synthetic chicken over the synthetic burger. It's all the same from here, really. At the same time, Tommy's words come back to me like a bad jolt in the brain. Yes, it bothers me. And I care enough to ask.

"Do you know what Blackford got caught for?" I say, giving the Eva the side-eye as it ends up my turn on the line. The lunch lady drops a slab of the chicken on my plate. "Breaking into some restricted network sector. He says you should have been caught too. What does he mean by that?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tommy Blackford

Tommy looks at him dumbly for a second before saying, "Uh, what?"

He drops his arm back to the side while giving Ronnie a searching look. He... seems to have realized what he said and kinda looks embarrassed. Oh, well just play it off. No need to make it weird.

Tommy grabs a seat at an empty table, gesturing for Ronnie to join him. He puts his chin in his hand as he ponders the question. Eventually, he says, "I'm not really in that kind of business." He poses his chin on the back of his hand and looks off into the distance as he jokingly adds, "After all, that line of work is dangerous, and it'd be a tragedy if something happened to this gorgeous face." Still, he continues, "But, if you're really serious, I might know a person or two I could ask for you. Don't really want to just hand out names, you know. What are you talking about anyway?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Eva Bai

Tommy told her. I should have expected this. Tommy did not tell her all relevant information, but he still told her. I must determine the best course of action here. I order a slice of synth chicken to delay the choice. I cannot reveal all to Hiroko, as this directly violates the second directive. I can not deny it, as this will encourage further investigation. Therefore, I must downplay Tommy's words while not denying them outright.

"He messaged me about that earlier, actually. Said I should be more careful when I'm messing around in school servers. I'm still not sure what he's talking about." I am not lying here. I have said that I do not know what Tommy was referring to, not that I have not investigated school servers. I hope that she will interpret the former as the latter.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ronnie Hactar
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

OK, cool, he didn't take that the wrong way. I sit down across from him and try to think exactly how much I want to let him know. Probably not going to hurt to give him the general idea. I check around for anyone close enough to overhear, run a quick jamming program to keep out unwanted intruders, and lean in again, trying to look casual.

"When I say radioactive I'm being entirely literal. Got a client who needs plutonium for some kind of medical imaging thing. I don't know if the school has any, or if I'm going to need to get lab access. Any step in the right direction would be greatly fuckin' appreciated."

They use radioactive poo poo in medicine all the time, right? Sounds plausible. More to the point what the gently caress is Odette's problem? That smirk is getting on my nerves. If she's playing Tima for one of her fuckin' middle-middle status games I'm gonna wreck her poo poo. I scowl back at her the next time she glances over, putting her on notice.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Vincent Yohloh II
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Conditions: Delicious

I wonder why so few people use this line in the cafeteria. Lunch food can't be that expensive for the program compared to all the fancy stuff, can it? Maybe we can have a--GYAAAH!

Ah, there goes my lunch! Chicken salad everywhere--what a mess! I reach down and pick the tray off the floor--the custodial robots will be by any second, but it couldn't hurt--and look up at Brock. "Ah...sorry about that." It spilled all over my shirt and hoodie too! I snatch up a few napkins and start wiping it off...agh, this isn't working! Did Brock do this for Wang and his friends or did he do it to get back at me for Jani?! Is Jani even here right now or is she eating lunch somewhere else?

Geez, what do they put in the chicken salad that makes it stain stain-resistant clothing! Is it made of, I dunno, are there dyes in it made of industrial byproducts? I slide off my jacket and I'm halfway to taking off my shirt to get a better look at it--

--oh, wait, someone's watching me, aren't they. Did they see my navel?

When you don't know what to do, turn someone on again. Annie or Brock, doesn't really matter! Either would be hilarious.
[18:11:54] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+2
[18:11:55] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 9+2 = 11

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hiroko Nakayama
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

"Really...?" I can assume what that means. Eva knows about the arcology and the systems all too well. I mean, that's one of the reasons why I keep an eye out for her. So if she mentions something about the school systems... Blackford must fumbled around while she was browsing something important, that idiot.

"Alright. Can he call you out on that? A digital trail, or something similar?" I ask pointedly. I'm not going to let my girlfriend take a hit in this mess, too. "Do you want me to take care of him for you?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tommy Blackford

Tommy looks at him with his mouth agape. There's no way he's loving serious. Is he seriously asking if he knows anyone who's got some Plutonium lying around?!

Keeping his voice low, he harshly whispers,"You wanna know where you can get some Plutonium under the table? Seriously? That poo poo's more controlled than Military grade ICE! What, do you think I pall around with fuckin' terrorists or something? Look, I'm not gonna go blabbing about it, but whatever you're planning, leave me out of it."

He picks up his tray and goes to find another table.

Shut Down: 2d6 12
I'll take a string on the poor Infernal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Eva Bai
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions

"Possibly. I cannot be sure until I know what he knows." Hiroko becomes extremely protective.at the first sign of a threat. This is a positive quality but may or may not be needed. I will determine the pros and cons of the suggested plan as the cost of the purchased meals are automatically deducted from our school accounts... ... ...

"There won't be any need for that, Hiroko. Not yet." I can always ask her for help if I need to. Currently having her be involved directly will only attract unneeded attention. As we take our seat in the cafeteria I continue to consider Tommy's position. I need to know his position. Whether he can reveal me or only attract disciplinary attention. I have decided. I will discover what he has discovered.

I rest my elbows on the table, fold my hands together and rest my chin on them. I close my eyes, fully concentrating on the ABYSS. I will follow Tommy's digital trail back to his initial foray into the secure servers. Security will be strengthened in comparison to when he entered it. However, I am secure. He is a man, not even capable of direct neural interface. I was made for this.

Gazing into The Abyss about what Tommy found out:
[00:32] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, 4+2 = 6
drat it Krysmbot.

• Locked thread