Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think this is what im trying to say, the stripes on its back are all he needs, the ones on its horns are superfluous in a way most gen 1 designs arent

Ten thousand hours in MS Paint, etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I will say, the fake in game sprite they made is fantastic

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hey i think i got something sweet

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
sorry its blurry

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hey i think i got something sweet

Nice! That’s worth about $110, according to tcgplayer, it’s one of the best cards in the game

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jesus Christ.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

thetoughestbean posted:

Someone I was talking to on Discord said it best: Pokémon aesthetic is actually very hard to reproduce

The original artist agrees:

https://twitter.com/arvalis/status/1375536782918356992

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Funky Valentine posted:

All the stripes make it too busy for a Gen 1.

Charmon however nails it to an impressive degree.

Honestly it's no busier than Arcanine. Base color, accent color, stripes. I think it actually fits in pretty well with the other big dinosaur Pokemon, like Rhydon and Kangaskhan.

MetalGreymon and beyond, though, would be messes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bulbmon -> Ivymon -> Venimon -> JungleVenimon
Charmon -> Charmemon -> Chardramon -> BlitzChardramon or SolarChardramon
Squirtmon -> Tortimon -> Blastmon -> MagnumBlastmon

Edit: I guess Charmeleon could also be Meleomon or somesuch, but I'm a sucker for the Dorumon family naming style.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 27, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

With Goddramon confirmed I imagine that Patamon's whole line was somewhat up in the air, but if I'm reading the new episode properly, Patamon's Perfect evolution is… Angemon! Like I keep saying, Angemon in this series is now finally as important as everyone always remembers him being. I suspect that if Holy Angemon shows up at all it will be as a extremely special one-off thing because people remember Holy Angemon as being even more important than Angemon was despite having a record barely better than Seraphimon.

Other than that the episode was okay. It probably should have held off a while longer before getting into the action, doubly so because I think this is the first episode significantly about both Yamato and Takeru. I don't necessarily mind the baseline series conceit of bringing in Takeru later on, but he really did have the misfortune to be brought in right around the point where the show started to waste its budget with empty excess and the fact we haven't actually had an episode before this point about the brothers was one of the many casualties of the late 20s episode death march. Considering that, I wish the episode had spent more time on them. And they could've definitely found that time, the entire sequence with Yamato in the haunted house amounted to nothing, the bit with the roller coaster also amounted to nothing, and the sequence inside WaruMonzaemon was broadly paced wrong and so was not nearly as disquieting as it should have been.

Still, at least it was functionally about the characters and didn't have a 20 minute long fight scene so I will take it.

Edit: Forgot to mention I had a good chuckle at Daipenmon's Analyzer segment.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 28, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It was nice to have another villain of the week with a specific plan who could interact with the heroes. But, man, could we have another recurring villain before the end of the show?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm up to Episode 30 of Digimon Adventures: Reboot and I'm kind of blown away so far at some of the stuff I've seen, but the series does seem a lot more Taichi-scentric than I remember the original being.

Thoughts so far!

*Yamato isn't as much of a brooding loner as he used to be, which is nice but from where I'm at, doesn't give him as much oomph for bigger moments.
*It seems like Izumi has replaced Yamato as the secondary main character, he feels like Taichi's best friend, rather than Yamato.
*This leads to Sora feeling a little diminished too, she's still every bit as reliable as she used to be, but no longer feels like the glue that holds everyone together.
*Joe and Mimi exist, I guess. Joe's more annoying, Mimi's less annoying. I'm glad Lillymon gets more time to shine though!
*Patomon seems to recall being a legendary Holy Digimon from the start, so there's less annoying TK moments by proxy.
*What the hell is Hikari? She just stares off to space and doesn't say much of anything. Then she decides to just roll with the Black Knight on a pony ride without putting up any fight.

As far as episodes go, when the first flash of War Greymon showed up I was thinking "Oh, is this where Skull Greymon shows up? Oh, this is getting kinda dark. OH, this is turning into Evangelion. OH, JUST MACHINEDRAMON HUH? The fight was brutal.

The augments of WereGarurumon and Metal Greymon were kind of neat! I get why WereGururumon gets the wings and they're very cool for WereGururumon's fighting style. I love Metal Greymon's Railgun, but I don't get the connect between that and War Greymon.

Overall there's parts of the series I think are better than the original, and parts I think it's worse. The new series reminds me a lot of a Super Sentai season where Red was the main character, and everyone else was just secondary instead of being a group.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RealFoxy posted:

I'm up to Episode 30 of Digimon Adventures: Reboot and I'm kind of blown away so far at some of the stuff I've seen, but the series does seem a lot more Taichi-scentric than I remember the original being.

It is way more focused on Taichi than the original, distractingly so. That's honestly one of the major problems with the series in that it isn't an ensemble show anymore and it broadly struggles to use its whole cast.

quote:

The augments of WereGarurumon and Metal Greymon were kind of neat! I get why WereGururumon gets the wings and they're very cool for WereGururumon's fighting style. I love Metal Greymon's Railgun, but I don't get the connect between that and War Greymon.

There isn't a connection between the railgun and WarGreymon. The additional Alterous and Sagittarius modes give Metal Greymon and Were Garurumon additional weaponry from their X-Digimon forms. Well, in the former case it's actually specifically from their Virus-type X-Digimon form, but the same principle applies. Incidentally, this is why the inside baseball line is that the evil black miasma goop is some form of the X program since it was directly connected to getting Alterous mode.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Omnicrom posted:

It is way more focused on Taichi than the original, distractingly so. That's honestly one of the major problems with the series in that it isn't an ensemble show anymore and it broadly struggles to use its whole cast.
When Angemon finally showed back up, I figured it'd lead to a bunch of the cast trying to find each other again, there was a fakeout where the main characters were paired off that didn't happen. Sora just found Taichi immediately and did nothing while WarGreymon popped up and Lopmon just stares into the distance like Hikari does

quote:

There isn't a connection between the railgun and WarGreymon. The additional Alterous and Sagittarius modes give Metal Greymon and Were Garurumon additional weaponry from their X-Digimon forms. Well, in the former case it's actually specifically from their Virus-type X-Digimon form, but the same principle applies. Incidentally, this is why the inside baseball line is that the evil black miasma goop is some form of the X program since it was directly connected to getting Alterous mode.
I get that WereGururumon bulks up and gets hints of Metal Gururmon, Metal Greymon just loosely adapts the Machinedramon tail which has nothing to do with War Greymon except that arm turning into another claw in the digivolution.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I mean, for comparison:

(also Hi I haven't posted in this thread before because I didn't know we had one but big digimon fan)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RealFoxy posted:

I get that WereGururumon bulks up and gets hints of Metal Gururmon, Metal Greymon just loosely adapts the Machinedramon tail which has nothing to do with War Greymon except that arm turning into another claw in the digivolution.

No, as Golux demonstrates pictorially, I mean they literally just gave them gizmos from Were Garurumon X and Metal Greymon (Virus) X. Like, Metal Greymon's Alterous mode is so named because Alterous is the name of Black Metal Greymon X's blaster (and the attack is technically Positron Blaster because they aren't going to call it "Pandemic Destroyer" now are they?)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Golux posted:

(also Hi I haven't posted in this thread before because I didn't know we had one but big digimon fan)

Welcome to the thread, friend.

Omnicrom posted:

No, as Golux demonstrates pictorially, I mean they literally just gave them gizmos from Were Garurumon X and Metal Greymon (Virus) X. Like, Metal Greymon's Alterous mode is so named because Alterous is the name of Black Metal Greymon X's blaster (and the attack is technically Positron Blaster because they aren't going to call it "Pandemic Destroyer" now are they?)

Well, if we've ever needed a Pandemic Destroyer, it's now. Corona Blaster would be useful too!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

RealFoxy posted:

As far as episodes go, when the first flash of War Greymon showed up I was thinking "Oh, is this where Skull Greymon shows up? Oh, this is getting kinda dark. OH, this is turning into Evangelion. OH, JUST MACHINEDRAMON HUH? The fight was brutal.

My god, that feels like an entirety ago.

You're about to hit the big slump of the show.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, if we've ever needed a Pandemic Destroyer, it's now. Corona Blaster would be useful too!
That just reminded me that there were huge plot points about a major blackout, rockets exploding, and boats getting stuck in the real world plot it didn't even phase me because of this stuff is happening right now.

Omnicrom posted:

Wasn't familiar with those forms, looked them up and they were from games I'd never played before, I only played the original PS games (Digimon World 1-3 + Card Battle + the Smash Bros knockoff), some of Dusk/Dawn, and Cyber Sleuth. As far as the Anime goes, I watched all of 1-3 and then a couple episodes of anything that came after that until Tri which I still havent finished :v:

Some Numbers posted:

My god, that feels like an entirety ago.

You're about to hit the big slump of the show.
It already feels slow but I can knock out 5 episodes on slow days and be caught up by the weekend. I'm only around 12 behind.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 30, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
A lot of people aren't familiar with the X-Antibody forms because they were from a few V-Pets and the awful cgi movie. Also they kind of suck

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah a lot of them are kind of overdetailed in a way that definitely doesn't appeal to everyone. Some of them are kinda cool though.

And then there's the issue of the natural carriers, which vary from "Definitely overdesigned x-antibody thing" to "why is this not just called [obvious equivalent digimon] X-Antibody" to "That looks like a normal digimon, neat."

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

At least they're okay on the v pets because it's hard to overdesign anything in 16 x 16 while still having it look like something

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
they need to be put in a game tbh, im never gonna touch a v-pet but some of them look cool. Cyber sleuth 3 when

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

they need to be put in a game tbh, im never gonna touch a v-pet but some of them look cool. Cyber sleuth 3 when

Habu has said that the next game after Survive will be a Story game but it won't be Cyber Sleuth. The Cyber Sleuth story is complete, though I imagine Story will continue with a similar vibe.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
So we just gotta hope Survive ever comes out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Leraika posted:

So we just gotta hope Survive ever comes out.

There hasn’t been any recent news on that has there?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

There hasn’t been any recent news on that has there?

None whatsoever. At this point part of me doubts Survive will ever be released.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RealFoxy posted:

Wasn't familiar with those forms, looked them up and they were from games I'd never played before, I only played the original PS games (Digimon World 1-3 + Card Battle + the Smash Bros knockoff), some of Dusk/Dawn, and Cyber Sleuth. As far as the Anime goes, I watched all of 1-3 and then a couple episodes of anything that came after that until Tri which I still havent finished :v:

You miss out on nothing by skipping Tri. I can highly recommend Digimon Savers and Digimon Universe Appli Monsters if you're looking for additional good seasons of Digimon.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Also the original V-Tamer manga is well worth reading. It’s a lot of fun

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

thetoughestbean posted:

Also the original V-Tamer manga is well worth reading. It’s a lot of fun

Adding to the manga train, the Xros Wars manga is excellent. The anime's good too, but the manga's significantly better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Adding to the manga train, the Xros Wars manga is excellent. The anime's good too, but the manga's significantly better.

Well the first half of the anime anyway, Young Hunters kind of sucks

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

None whatsoever. At this point part of me doubts Survive will ever be released.

They said that the next news on Survive wouldn't be until spring of this year, so we still have a two month window before they're late. If we're still following the "only V-Jump will have Survive news" rule then around the 19th of each month would be the time to check.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Well the first half of the anime anyway, Young Hunters kind of sucks

I don't consider Hunters the same show, honestly. I know Toei does, but it's pretty much a sequel in every way like 02 was to Adventure. Only 02, while a mess and an important downgrade in quality from Adventure, was still an enjoyable series in its own right with some very good character development and neat villains. Hunters is one of the worst things we've ever gotten.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't consider Hunters the same show, honestly. I know Toei does, but it's pretty much a sequel in every way like 02 was to Adventure. Only 02, while a mess and an important downgrade in quality from Adventure, was still an enjoyable series in its own right with some very good character development and neat villains. Hunters is one of the worst things we've ever gotten.

Yeah, I basically consider it a separate series as well (it stars a new protagonist and has a completely different plot and setup after all).

Plus the fact that Xros Wars by itself has a pretty decisive ending, meaning you could absolutely just stop there if you wanted to and nothing of value would be lost.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 30, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Habu has said that the next game after Survive will be a Story game but it won't be Cyber Sleuth. The Cyber Sleuth story is complete, though I imagine Story will continue with a similar vibe.

I legit just forgot cyber sleuth was part of the digimon story series haha. I didnt mean a literal 3, hackers memory was already shoehorned in enough

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sleeping Sigma posted:

They said that the next news on Survive wouldn't be until spring of this year, so we still have a two month window before they're late. If we're still following the "only V-Jump will have Survive news" rule then around the 19th of each month would be the time to check.

Part of me still thinks that "news update" is just going to be the announcement that the game has been cancelled completely.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm about four episodes from being totally caught up now. They really did just drop "And Joe escaped the hotsprings, by accident, off-screen" huh? I wonder if that episode was cut because of COVID. Really wanted to know exactly what was with the growing Nanimon population

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I'm about four episodes from being totally caught up now. They really did just drop "And Joe escaped the hotsprings, by accident, off-screen" huh? I wonder if that episode was cut because of COVID. Really wanted to know exactly what was with the growing Nanimon population

just buff digimon dudes who love hot springs

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In Japan, it's already 1st of April, so it's Tamers' 20th anniversary! The absolute best Digimon has ever been - and, sadly, will likely ever be. The official account has put up art to commemorate this too!
https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1377410382306836482

They're also releasing Dim Cards with four of the Tamers protagonists, excluding Terriermon since only two SaintGalgomon variations exist so they'd have to make a new sprite for the third instead of barely editting the same sprite three times.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1377419884632494082

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1377426737814855682?s=21

Omedamon, the medabots crossover, is getting added to the reference book