Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Killingyouguy! posted:

So I have watched the first episode of appmon and wait a second, this is The Emoji Movie

First off, how dare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The 20th Anniversary Memorial shorts have been subbed and released. The first, To Sora, was up before (with official subs IIRC) but the other four rest weren't.

Having watched them all, their quality varies heavily, which is more than I expected out of them after how awful To Sora was. The second short is no better, it tries to be sweet and a mature view into how Agumon and Gabumon feel, but it falls flat because it still leads to Last Evolution and is fully aware of it.

The third short, Medical Student Joe Kido, is significantly better. No connections to Last Evolution are established, and the whole thing is just a very good view into Joe and Gomamon's relationship. Very much worth the watch, especially if you're a fan of them (and they were my favourites as a kid, so I absolutely fall in the category).

The fourth short, Jogress Evolution of Dreams, is mostly forgettable. It's the shortest of the lot and it's just one gag really, but it's inoffensive and actually does land the joke. Also it starts with some really gorgeous animation of Silphymon, who I didn't expect we'd ever see again.

The fifth short, The Shibuya Heroic Saga of Pump and Gotsu, must be seen to be believed. I won't say anything about it. Even if you hate everything Adventure-related that came out recently, watch this one. You will not regret it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

The fifth short, The Shibuya Heroic Saga of Pump and Gotsu, must be seen to be believed. I won't say anything about it. Even if you hate everything Adventure-related that came out recently, watch this one. You will not regret it.
Holy poo poo this sounds incredible, considering their bit in Adventure was top tier.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Pumpmon and Gotsumon short made me question life, my choices, and the nature of reality itself.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It was also really really funny.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Digimon Card Game just promo’d a Nokia card and an Aiba card

Nokia lets you play an Agumon or Gabumon from your hand for free when she’s played and taps to make an evo for Greymon, Garurumon, or Omegamon cheaper. Aiba lets you tap it to draw when you digivolve and makes both players players lose memory when they attack with a rookie Digimon. Seems like a hard counter to Rookie Rush, a pretty common deck.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Where the gently caress is Girl Aiba.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

thetoughestbean posted:

Seems like a hard counter to Rookie Rush, a pretty common deck.
Ugh. I hate "silver bullet" design, especially as promos. Fix the problem at a fundamental level, change a rule, or ban a card. Don't just slap one cardboard bandaid on it and think that counts as antimeta. And if you absolutely do have to, at least make it something accessible.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

PMush Perfect posted:

Ugh. I hate "silver bullet" design, especially as promos. Fix the problem at a fundamental level, change a rule, or ban a card. Don't just slap one cardboard bandaid on it and think that counts as antimeta. And if you absolutely do have to, at least make it something accessible.

I don’t actually know if they’re promo cards, I just said promo because I hate the term “leaked” when it’s a company revealing their own products. Probably should have said “Revealed”

It’s more than just a silver bullet for a specific deck. It also slows down yellow, which has a couple ways to cheat out rookies, specifically Lucemon (which has ludicrously high power and cost to play for a rookie) and BushiAgumon (which has haste), and a few other decks that rely on cards like Veemon, which has Jamming, in Imperialdramon Blue. The “rookies give -1 memory when they attack” effect applies to both players, so it changes how you build your deck, too.

Nokia’s the card that annoys me. Omegamon Red is already the best deck in the format, and has been for a while, so giving it more tools sucks.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

thetoughestbean posted:

Nokia’s the card that annoys me. Omegamon Red is already the best deck in the format, and has been for a while, so giving it more tools sucks.

There's your problem. Omegamon is the franchise golden child, they aren't not going to keep making Omegamon cards and Omegamon support.

Also re: Adventure 20 episode 32: This is the series where Patamon is as powerful and important as everyone remembers him being.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Omnicrom posted:

There's your problem. Omegamon is the franchise golden child, they aren't not going to keep making Omegamon cards and Omegamon support.

BT05 is literally called Battle of the Omega. The general expectation is that we’re going to see Zwart and Alter B (we’ve already got Alter S and both Chaosmon)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Omnicrom posted:

Also re: Adventure 20 episode 32: This is the series where Patamon is as powerful and important as everyone remembers him being.

I uh, think they over shot that by a loving mile

Is this really going to be the series where Seraphimon gets to do anything

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Seraphimon already failed and died before the series even started.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Burkion posted:

I uh, think they over shot that by a loving mile

Is this really going to be the series where Seraphimon gets to do anything

Whoa there, let's not be silly here. I mean, if Seraphimon does something that might take away Omegamon, and Alter-S is still slated to show up. What's the over-under on Agumon and Gabumon not being able to evolve to their regular ultimate forms/Omegamon for some reason and Patamon advising them to try and evolve another way and that's how we get Blitz Greymon and Cres Garurumon?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Omnicrom posted:

Whoa there, let's not be silly here. I mean, if Seraphimon does something that might take away Omegamon, and Alter-S is still slated to show up. What's the over-under on Agumon and Gabumon not being able to evolve to their regular ultimate forms/Omegamon for some reason and Patamon advising them to try and evolve another way and that's how we get Blitz Greymon and Cres Garurumon?

That would actually kind of rule?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

thetoughestbean posted:

That would actually kind of rule?

I'm not saying it wouldn't, I'm just saying I have full faith that this series will make Seraphimon job out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Who were the five silhouettes in Patamon's dream? The only one I could definitely identify was Cherubimon.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I know on the left was SlashAngemon on top and Varodurumon on the bottom.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Who were the five silhouettes in Patamon's dream? The only one I could definitely identify was Cherubimon.

Looks like Slash Angemon, Clavis Angemon, Valdurmon, Cherubimon and Rasielmon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Normally I'm left feeling nothing after every episode. If I do feel something, it doesn't tend to be good.

On this one though? On this one I'm confused and for several reasons at that.

Let's start from the beginning here: I really like Pegasmon. I think Pegasmon is a really good design that works as a Patamon evolution far more than Angemon did, and it's a cooler design than Angemon on top of it. Having Pegasmon instead of Angemon is not something I'm going to complain about. Much less a Pegasmon that looks so drat good as he did this episode.

My problem here is Pegasmon appearing now. In 02, Pegasmon appeared at the most logical moment: where Armor was the next evolutionary step, because Adult onwards was unusable due to the Dark Towers. It put Patamon on an equal level to everyone else. Here? Here Pegasmon appears when Taichi already has a Mega, and we're sure to get everyone else's soon. It's far too late, regardless of how Patamon in Adventure: is specifically set up to be significantly more powerful than the rest, regardless of stage.

It also irks me because evolutions in this series tend to feel completely unearned. This one didn't. There was a great set up with Patamon being weakened, then going through his memories and obtaining newfound drive. With Takeru deciding to stay by his side no matter what, and confronting the enemy despite his weakness. The big part was on Patamon rather than Takeru, which is heavily unusual for Digimon and even moreso for Adventure, but it still worked extremely well. It genuinely put forward the idea that they embody Hope in a way Adventure: has consistently failed at with everyone else, and once again proves that this series' Takeru is fundamentally a far better character than he ever was in the original Adventure. The whole thing should have me enjoying the ever loving hell out of it, and don't get me wrong, I did! I did in a way Adventure: has never accomplished before! But getting Takeru a form two levels behind Taichi is just such an incredibly weird move that it actually takes away from my enjoyment, especially when this was basically the perfect moment for HolyAngemon to appear, putting Takeru on a superior level to everyone else (because HolyAngemon is just that busted) and making it so that he won't lag behind when everyone else gets their Megas soon. That didn't happen, and the whole "different path" thing rings hollow because it's not like we're getting a HolyPegasmon or something, we know the next evolutions are HolyAngemon and Seraphimon, so he'll just get the same forms he had in the past.

Beyond that I'm confused about Patamon's whole "we met again, Takeru!" thing. From his words, it seemed like he's wanted to meet Takeru since significantly before Takeru was even born. It's no doubt setting up for something, and the early series theory of this being a time loop feels relevant now after I completely forgot about it before. I'm not sure where it's going, but I can't say I'm not curious.

Less important: god, we got some really bad faces early in this episode. Very off-model, but it was followed by an impressively clean fight with extremely good expressions and attacks, so I won't complain. They got the good animators where they were needed most. Cerberumon's face when he gets kicked by Garudamon was insane.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've had to just completely put power levels and comparative ranking of forms out of my head and take each episode's fight in a complete vacuum. In that context, Pegasusmon's debut felt really solid and earned. You can't bust out the "Holy" angels at the drop of a hat, so Patamon gets a more traditional evolution that lets him power up without going full god-mode. I really like the idea, though I kinda wish something related to digi-eggs/armor was part of the evolution sequence

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

jivjov posted:

I've had to just completely put power levels and comparative ranking of forms out of my head and take each episode's fight in a complete vacuum. In that context, Pegasusmon's debut felt really solid and earned. You can't bust out the "Holy" angels at the drop of a hat, so Patamon gets a more traditional evolution that lets him power up without going full god-mode. I really like the idea, though I kinda wish something related to digi-eggs/armor was part of the evolution sequence

I’m happy that this implies Nefertimon will come back as well. It’s a nice enough compromise to let Takeru and Hikari contribute without completely overshadowing everything else, while keeping the angels powerful enough to earn their hype. I did love the designs of the Armor forms (aside from Shurimon who was just too different from Hawkmon) so an excuse to have them back is welcome.

That said, I do agree that is coming in pretty late, but they could have the two operating at or slightly below a power level on par with the other Ultimate/Perfect parters so they can be relevant and only go full angel in more desperate circumstances.

Edit: drat autocorrect

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 18, 2021

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geostomp posted:

I’m happy that this implies Nefertimon will come back as well. It’s a nice enough compromise to let Takeru and Hilario contribute without completely overshadowing everything else, while keeping the angels powerful enough to earn their hype. I did love the designs of the Armor forms (aside from Shurimon who was just too different from Hawkmon) so an excuse to have them back is welcome.

That said, I do agree that is coming in pretty late, but they could have the two operating at or slightly below a power level on par with the other Ultimate/Perfect parters so they can be relevant and only go full angel in more desperate circumstances.

Sorry, but that isn't happening. Pegasmon appeared in the Digivice: as an evolution of Patamon, Nefertimon didn't as one of Tailmon (or at all). Furthermore, Angewomon is appearing in a couple of episodes, so going a level back wouldn't make much sense.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

New Argomon has the ability to put all Tamers to rest and they can’t be untapped, making a pretty good card that’s also flavorful in a really fun way.

Also there’s an Omegamon Zwart card that’s been announced, surprising literally nobody, but more surprisingly, there’s a Shoutmon DX card, that lists OmegaShoutmon and ZekeGreymon in its text

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

jivjov posted:

You can't bust out the "Holy" angels at the drop of a hat
I mean, instead of having Patamon Warp straight to HolyAngemon and make the ostensible build up of the entire series pay off would've been better than the inevitable "Perfect next week, Mega the week after that" that we'll probably be getting instead.,

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing I'm not sure about

it seems clear we're getting someone before we get any other Megas

but will we get Holy Angemon now or after the Mega barrage

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Talking about Angemons,
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1351761012005998595

Apart from LovelyAngemon there, we got two new exercise mons.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1351762948155461632

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I love her already.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Man, whatever game comes out after Survive releases better be fricking stacked as far as roster goes with the swaths of new 'mons we've gotten recently.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Balache404 posted:

Man, whatever game comes out after Survive releases better be fricking stacked as far as roster goes with the swaths of new 'mons we've gotten recently.
:hmmyes:

I had a single moment of weakness where I considered possibly getting into ReArise just so I could get this gal, then remembered that it's Free-to-Play, which means I'm either gonna be grinding for years or paying the Gacha Waifu Tax.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Balache404 posted:

The next game is likely to be another Story game (confirmed to not be a Cyber Sleuth though) which are the games with the biggest rosters, so I think we should be safe there.

Of course, that implies Survive will ever come out, which I am significantly less sure of.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

LovelyAngemon's profile text:

quote:

A Digimon that contains the data of a "magical fighter who carries out hand-to-hand combat".

She's a Precure homage.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

She's a Precure homage.

Someone get Yuuki Aoi on it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's only fair. We already have Kamen Riders, there are a few Ultraman references here and there, and you can make a Super Sentai with ease from some Digimon (the Aegiochusmon come to mind) so we needed a PreCure here too.

Omnicrom posted:

Someone get Yuuki Aoi on it.

While undeniably fitting, LovelyAngemon is almost definitely the Mega for the Plotmon that's already a character in ReArise (following the same pattern of HeavyLeomon and Mitamamon before it), so her VA is Takamori Natsumi.

This also makes it the fifth canon Mega for the Plotmon/Tailmon line, after Holydramon, Valkyrimon (through Jogress), Ofanimon and Ofanimon Falldown Mode.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 20, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

This also makes it the fifth canon Mega for the Plotmon/Tailmon line, after Holydramon, Valkyrimon (through Jogress), Ofanimon and Ofanimon Falldown Mode.

Thank you for forgetting Ordinemon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

LovelyAngemon's profile text:

She's a Precure homage.

I’m surprised it took this long for them to make a Digimon that’s a magical girl homage honestly (unless I’m forgetting something that is).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omnicrom posted:

Thank you for forgetting Ordinemon.

Thank you but the exact opposite for reminding me of Ordinemon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ordinemon is a fusion of two Ultimates, anyway. It's like calling Omegamon one of Agumon's forms, when you need MetalGarurumon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

Ordinemon is a fusion of two Ultimates, anyway. It's like calling Omegamon one of Agumon's forms, when you need MetalGarurumon.

I did put "through Jogress" on Valkyrimon so that still counts. As does Mastemon, who I also forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eh, I'm pretty sure there's some instance of the franchise where Angewomon can evolve to Valkyrimon on her own.