Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, it tried its damndest to be as off-putting and insufferable as possible to the point it still surprises me that there were actual fans of it.

I remember as a child watching the show... but I was never happy having watched the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Angela anaconda is shitposting but on tv and i respect it even if i dont like it all

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
If I have a lot of nostalgia for Digimon but haven't watched anything since Tamers, is there anything I need to see?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If I have a lot of nostalgia for Digimon but haven't watched anything since Tamers, is there anything I need to see?

Savers and Appmon (the latter is available on Crunchyroll but you might need to use less legitimate means to watch the former)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Beyond what Larryb said (which are absolute must-sees), if you're into manga, V-Tamer and Xros Wars are absolutely worth reading. The Xros Wars anime is fine too, though not as priority as the other two and skip the last arc.

Also if you want games, Cyber Sleuth is excellent and you can get both it and the sequel as one game on Switch and PC.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Cool, thanks!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To help you search for it I should also point out that Appmon’s full title is Digimon Universe: Applimonsters.

It’s got a bit of a slow start but once it gets going it pretty much stays consistently good the whole way through (it’s also got one of the best female protagonists in the entire franchise).

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

That's good to hear, I've always appreciated how well the other Digimon series depicted with their women characters, so hearing this is "the best" definitely is intriguing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

That's good to hear, I've always appreciated how well the other Digimon series depicted with their women characters, so hearing this is "the best" definitely is intriguing.

You probably shouldn’t watch Frontier then (which might be a good idea in general)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Larryb posted:

You probably shouldn’t watch Frontier then (which might be a good idea in general)
See also: Last Evolution Kizuna.

I wanna say the same thing about Tri, but the first two movies are genuinely good, with the second, Determination, having the A-plot basically be one long Mimi and Jou focus episode. Real shame the third movie stumbles, the fourth trips and slams face-first into the ground, and the fifth skids slowly and painfully directly into a pile of horseshit.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I thought the third was fairly good too outside of a couple dumb things. Patamon and the part before the reboot where they’re spending time with their Digimon was pretty heartbreaking. 4 is where it really poo poo the bed IMO.
Valid. My opinions of the third are definitely worsened in retrospect, knowing that all the stuff it sets up just doesn't pay off in any kind of remotely satisfying way.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 5, 2021

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

See also: Last Evolution Kizuna.

I wanna say the same thing about Tri, but the first two movies are genuinely good, with the second, Determination, having the A-plot basically be one long Mimi and Jou focus episode. Real shame it shits the bed almost immediately afterwards.

I thought the third was fairly good too outside of a couple dumb things. Patamon and the part before the reboot where they’re spending time with their Digimon was pretty heartbreaking. 4 is where it really poo poo the bed IMO.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tri Movie 3 feels extremely bad in hindsight because so much in it and of it was supposed to be set up for the back half of the movie series. The first two movies feel like they have an underlying theme of how the cast have lost something important about themselves and that they've started to make steps towards getting it back, then Movie 3 forces the issue and literalizes that loss but ends on the promise that Movie 4 will be a kind of rebirth for the characters as they reunite and reclaim what they lost to become better for it. And that doesn't happen. Movie 4 is a badly told and weirdly spiteful story that doesn't really address or build on the big thing from the end of Movie 3 and instead chooses to spend most of its running time kicking Sora while she's down for no particularly good reason.

And if we are talking about extremely badly told female characters in Digimon, I could also point out what they do with Meiko in general, because I wasn't super up on her from minute one, but god drat did the end of movie 3 make me not want to ever care about her or sympathize with her or really believe anything she says about how important her partner is to her. Yet there she goes in Movie 4 and onward hogging an awful lot of screen real estate. And the worst part is I almost changed my mind about her when she actually showed a spine in Movie 4, but then the bad touch stuff happened and nope, it was a fluke and my worst instincts about her were basically correct. I especially love how they treat her in Movie 6, where everyone else needs to hold her hand and REMIND HER about her allegedly super close friendship and where she has absolutely nothing to say during the final battle. God the last three movies were just kind of miserable, weren't they?

And it still manages to go downhill from there, all the way to DA:LEK which also seemed to just hate Sora viscerally along with all of its other myriad flaws.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, there was a bit of that in the first Adventure series as well (the writers really seem to hate Sora for some strange reason) but the movies were far worse about it in my opinion.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So this was posted recently for the 20th anniversary of Tamers, not sure if Toei is actually going to do anything for it though:

https://twitter.com/DM_Partners/status/1377468997168295937

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 6, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

So this was posted recently for the 20th anniversary of Tamers, not sure if Toei is actually going to do anything for it though:

https://twitter.com/DM_Partners/status/1377468997168295937

It'd be on brand for Toei to just remind everyone that Tamers existed, and then sweep it back under the rug again and try to forget about it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

In decreasing orders of likeliness the things I predict Toei will do for this event:
Put some art up on twitter
Print a Promo set for the card game
Release a promo thing for the Vital Bracelet
Release/rerelease a V-pet
Release merchandise of or for Digimon Tamers
Do absolutely nothing else besides mentioning it
Announce a new piece of Digimon media of absolutely any sort.

Edit: I have actually now looked at the site they linked to. They've announced some plushes, but of some cute art, announced a bunch of VB DiM cards, and a figurine of Dukemon. And I got that completely blind!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Frankly. Would we want a Digimon Tamers Tri / LEK / Psi?

Heck, Konaka's not a champ at sequels, Big O 2 comes to mind.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 7, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
No, I don't think I would. A spinoff, maybe, but not a sequel.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel any comparison to the mess that is Adventure sequels is completely wrong here since Chiaki Konaka would still be heavily involved in the new series, and has shown that he still dearly loves Tamers (his Twitter account is @yamaki_nyx, with a Lopmon avatar, and he's been posting a lot of Tamers stuff recently, plus he also wrote that CD Drama that would be the start of a new show).

02 kept people from Adventure but also they were very burnt out and had way too many people involved regardless, and even there it's still a fun watch even if it's a complete mess of a show. Tri had no one from the original Adventure, and Last Evolution actually chased away Kakudou with how the people behind it just refused to actually listen to the one voice of reason there. Unless Toei really just wanted to piss off Konaka (wouldn't be the first time!) I imagine Tamers 2 would be significantly more true to the original's spirit than any Adventure sequel (or Adventure:, for that matter) were.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I'm kind of pessimistic there, I could see them just running Konaka off too

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ConanThe3rd posted:

Frankly. Would we want a Digimon Tamers Tri / LEK / Psi?

Heck, Konaka's not a champ at sequels, Big O 2 comes to mind.

I don't think that comparing a hypothetical sequel to Tamers to the Big O 2 would be 1-to-1 comparison because Konaka and others who created the first season have made it pretty clear that while they would like to make more seasons of the show, they had absolutely no interest and no intention to explain the mysteries of the series or have a conclusive ending to it. When the second season happened it was apparently mandated on them that they had to have some kind of explanation. And to be fair to Konaka and others we did indeed get "some kind" of explanation boy howdy. Folklore has it that the original draft of episode 26 was sent back to Konaka with request to make it even the smallest bit intelligible.

Meanwhile, Konaka has said several times "yes, I would like to make a sequel to Digimon Tamers, I imagine it would be a 13 episode OVA type of series and then it would wrap up." Considering the sort of work he does, I imagine that if it existed Tamers 2018 would have a semi-open ending and leave mysteries unsolved, but it would also probably complete the arcs of the majority of characters and ultimately be a justifiable ending to a show because that's how the man tends to end his shows (including The Big O IMHO).

And once again for the record I would not be super excited if Digimon Tamers 2018 actually became a thing, the thing I'd love to see is for him to be given the reins for a ninth season of Digimon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Maybe it's because I've read too many comics by Grant Morrison but I've never really found Big O to be that confusing, even if it does use the term Memories to mean like 3-4 entirely different things

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

nine-gear crow posted:

It'd be on brand for Toei to just remind everyone that Tamers existed, and then sweep it back under the rug again and try to forget about it.

Hopefully, cause Tamers fuckin blows.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Hot take.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Hopefully, cause Tamers fuckin blows.

You might be the first person in this thread to say that, what didn’t you like about it out of curiosity?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Maybe they mean “blows” as in “blows me away”

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

New episode listings!

https://withthewill.net/threads/adventure-guide-listings-for-episodes-43-through-47.25512/

MetalGarurumon debuts and it looks like we're gonna get that Patamon/Devimon connection after all.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That makes three Frontier bad guys used so far, not the season I expected to get so many repped.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Justin_Brett posted:

That makes three Frontier bad guys used so far, not the season I expected to get so many repped.

I'm guessing it's less Frontier love and more a genuine wish to properly unify the more broken parts of Digimon. Hybrid and Xros Wars Digimon were essentially deemed unusable due to being outside the basic levels, and with Adventure: Toei or Bandai seems to have decided to fix that, and I'm glad about it.

Now have the Appmon reappear and the franchise will be one coherent whole.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm guessing it's less Frontier love and more a genuine wish to properly unify the more broken parts of Digimon. Hybrid and Xros Wars Digimon were essentially deemed unusable due to being outside the basic levels, and with Adventure: Toei or Bandai seems to have decided to fix that, and I'm glad about it.

Now have the Appmon reappear and the franchise will be one coherent whole.

Appmon was such a flop though. That and it fits in even less than the other shows, ironically because it has a much more thought out level system than, say, Xros Wars

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I mean it's basically just the standard system but it drops the two Baby stages, changes the other stage names, and makes Jogress a requirement for all levels instead of a sometimes requirement like in the regular system, so I still think it wouldn't really be all that hard to convert them

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

thetoughestbean posted:

Appmon was such a flop though. That and it fits in even less than the other shows, ironically because it has a much more thought out level system than, say, Xros Wars

If anything, that makes it easier. You have four levels just like normal Digimon (excluding Baby and Baby II, which are excluded even in proper Digimon stuff), just rename them and you're gold.

drrockso20 posted:

I mean it's basically just the standard system but it drops the two Baby stages, changes the other stage names, and makes Jogress a requirement for all levels instead of a sometimes requirement like in the regular system, so I still think it wouldn't really be all that hard to convert them

You don't need the Jogress part. We had SkullKnightmon just evolve into DarkKnightmon in Adventure: with no DeadlyAxemon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

If anything, that makes it easier. You have four levels just like normal Digimon (excluding Baby and Baby II, which are excluded even in proper Digimon stuff), just rename them and you're gold.

You don't need the Jogress part. We had SkullKnightmon just evolve into DarkKnightmon in Adventure: with no DeadlyAxemon.

I meant when it was used in Appmon, not how it would translate over to regular Digimon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I still think Appmon are best left separate. They are explicitly different from Digimon, after all

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Larryb posted:

You might be the first person in this thread to say that, what didn’t you like about it out of curiosity?

Granted, I've only ever watched the subbed version but I can't imagine it's essentially any different. But even as a kid watching it week to week it routinely just annoyed the hell out of me. It felt like and endless stream of pissing and moaning from any character on screen. The card gimmick was immediately tired. I don't like a mascot character suddenly being important for digivolutions. Good god literally anything related to Impmon/Beelzemon or Jeri made me wish they both got deleted and the show moved the hell on. You imagine a scene like Beelzemon using Fist of The Beast King to be this dramatic character turn and it's so hamfistedly animated it loses any emotional impact.

Additionally, all the protagonist digimon are boring. They do nothing but eventually get to their final evolutions with nothing to spice it up in between. 02 spiced it up with armor digivolutions and DNA digivolutions and then Tamers just does nothing but go back to a straight line of evolutions. You follow that with Frontier which bucks the whole partner digimon concept and instead lets the kids become digimon and combine their powers and Tamers looks even more dull by comparison.

Oh and then you have Savers which is still the best season ever.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

SpazmasterX posted:

Granted, I've only ever watched the subbed version but I can't imagine it's essentially any different. But even as a kid watching it week to week it routinely just annoyed the hell out of me. It felt like and endless stream of pissing and moaning from any character on screen. The card gimmick was immediately tired. I don't like a mascot character suddenly being important for digivolutions. Good god literally anything related to Impmon/Beelzemon or Jeri made me wish they both got deleted and the show moved the hell on. You imagine a scene like Beelzemon using Fist of The Beast King to be this dramatic character turn and it's so hamfistedly animated it loses any emotional impact.

Additionally, all the protagonist digimon are boring. They do nothing but eventually get to their final evolutions with nothing to spice it up in between. 02 spiced it up with armor digivolutions and DNA digivolutions and then Tamers just does nothing but go back to a straight line of evolutions. You follow that with Frontier which bucks the whole partner digimon concept and instead lets the kids become digimon and combine their powers and Tamers looks even more dull by comparison.

I’m sorry but you are officially my enemy

quote:

This part is ok though, Savers was pretty cool

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SpazmasterX posted:

Yeah, ultra hard disagree on literally everything here. Savers was good though.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Bad news: Greyman and Garuruman are the faces of the next Digimon Card Game set

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
As in the DALEK digivolutions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin