Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Vulturemon is the big star, here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Those are excellent babies

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Finally nice to start seeing something other than the expected combo save the day (even though it was a pretty short sequence, they still got *something* at least). The episode went by in a flash and it didn't seem to cover any major new ground but it seemed fine overall. Next week's a return to the hot springs, a familiar mon and a very unfamiliar mon, this is only the 2nd time Kabukimon's been animated iirc? Unfortunately, that makes it seem like an even more likely event that Tailmon's going to take the spotlight in what would seem like a Gomamon specific episode.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Adventure 20 Episode 52: well that was a limp nothing of an episode. Like, I am struggling but that may be the least impressive debut of an Ultimate Digimon to date in the franchise. Can someone tell me why at the very least Hououmon didn't kill a Volcanicdramon or something? I was absolutely certain something would come out of the volcano for her to fight until about the 15 minute mark when I realized that from the pacing of the episode it was seriously just just going to be a natural disaster. They were definitely trying with Hououmon, but the fact that everyone was literally out of danger by the time she appeared completely cut the legs out from under her debut.

Now I point out Sakuyamon also didn't fight anyone when she first appeared, but by contrast Renamon evolved in a do or die situation and was actually able to do something against the big scary threat that the four gods had constantly been talking up. Also, Ruki had been a much more consistently written and present character than Sora has been in Adventure 20. Also also, her evolving was after two consecutive episodes of Ruki wanting to try and evolve to Ultimate and not being able to for various reasons so this was finally payoff for something established.

I'm not surprised Piyomon could evolve to Ultimate, they established a long time ago that anyone of the cast could hit that level of they go hard enough, maybe even from day one. I just wish the show had like, I don't know, done something to make it seem important. Just because it isn't necessarily special or unique doesn't mean that you shouldn't TREAT IT like it was special or unique.

Remember how in Tri and beyond it seemed like someone in Toei absolutely hated Sora? That thought kind of popped in to my mind while I was watching the episode and realizing how little there actually was in it. Also, am I wrong or have they not basically done exactly this episode at least twice before in previous media? I know the show is trading entirely on nostalgia at this point, but prior to now Adventure 20 had at least avoided doing literal retreads of previous episodes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
someone over on /a/ did some math on how huge both forms of Millenniummon are(as we an approximate height for WarGreymon for comparison) and then extrapolated from that how huge the Digital World would be, and well the scale is absolutely ridiculous even by anime standards;

TLDR is that on the conservative end Zeed is larger than the Earth, on the extreme end Zeed is bigger than Jupiter, while the Digital World is either somewhat bigger than Jupiter or is many times bigger than the Sun

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Omnicrom posted:

Remember how in Tri and beyond it seemed like someone in Toei absolutely hated Sora?

Xehanort works for Toei

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

...I feel like that earth circle could have been done a bit better with an actual math program or something (or spending much more time with it for paint)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omnicrom posted:

Adventure 20 Episode 52: well that was a limp nothing of an episode. Like, I am struggling but that may be the least impressive debut of an Ultimate Digimon to date in the franchise. Can someone tell me why at the very least Hououmon didn't kill a Volcanicdramon or something? I was absolutely certain something would come out of the volcano for her to fight until about the 15 minute mark when I realized that from the pacing of the episode it was seriously just just going to be a natural disaster. They were definitely trying with Hououmon, but the fact that everyone was literally out of danger by the time she appeared completely cut the legs out from under her debut.

Now I point out Sakuyamon also didn't fight anyone when she first appeared, but by contrast Renamon evolved in a do or die situation and was actually able to do something against the big scary threat that the four gods had constantly been talking up. Also, Ruki had been a much more consistently written and present character than Sora has been in Adventure 20. Also also, her evolving was after two consecutive episodes of Ruki wanting to try and evolve to Ultimate and not being able to for various reasons so this was finally payoff for something established.

I'm not surprised Piyomon could evolve to Ultimate, they established a long time ago that anyone of the cast could hit that level of they go hard enough, maybe even from day one. I just wish the show had like, I don't know, done something to make it seem important. Just because it isn't necessarily special or unique doesn't mean that you shouldn't TREAT IT like it was special or unique.

Remember how in Tri and beyond it seemed like someone in Toei absolutely hated Sora? That thought kind of popped in to my mind while I was watching the episode and realizing how little there actually was in it. Also, am I wrong or have they not basically done exactly this episode at least twice before in previous media? I know the show is trading entirely on nostalgia at this point, but prior to now Adventure 20 had at least avoided doing literal retreads of previous episodes.

WarGreymon and BlitzGreymon had worse debuts in this very series than Hououmon did. At least Hououmon felt deserved and did something neat, unlike those two that evolved because we gotta push merchandise and the latter didn't even get a well-animated fight.

I'm also glad Hououmon fights no one. I'm sick of this series introducing new Digimon with no personality every episode just so we can have a fight every. Single. Episode. That that didn't happen alone makes me have a lot more respect for this episode than I do for most of Adventure:. It had an unique conflict for the episode, had the human and Digimon in focus have an actual dynamic (which even the original Adventure was terrible at) even if it was taken straight from Adventure, and hey, Junkmon was a nice character of the week.

Sorry, I just don't agree with your post at all. This episode was good and the best thing Sora has gotten since the original Adventure, and honestly, probably ever.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Burkion posted:

Xehanort works for Toei

Given the ending of Union X that might actually be true.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

TLDR is that on the conservative end Zeed is larger than the Earth, on the extreme end Zeed is bigger than Jupiter, while the Digital World is either somewhat bigger than Jupiter or is many times bigger than the Sun
I mean I know this is a children's show where many characters can fly just because of magical data, but if the world was that big wouldn't the gravity crush all of the main characters?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

womb with a view posted:

I mean I know this is a children's show where many characters can fly just because of magical data, but if the world was that big wouldn't the gravity crush all of the main characters?
Of all the potential problems here, the one you have is "but the digital world, made out of data, doesn't obey Newtonian physics"?

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

When Koushirou analysed the data in Adventure the real world and the digital world overlapped perfectly!!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sorry, I just don't agree with your post at all. This episode was good and the best thing Sora has gotten since the original Adventure, and honestly, probably ever.

Damning with faint praise, are we? While it's arguably true this is the best she's gotten since 99 (I liked Garudamon's debut in this show better than Hououmon's FWIW), it's way inferior to the episodes Sora actually got about her in Adventure 99. The original Garudamon episode was basically this but better in the follow-on episode back and Tokyo did more with her consistently than 20 has done with her. Even the short period she was in the lead running away from Piemon gave her more what I would say is "character" than this episode. I'll say sorry myself because, this one felt really stock and pretty weak.

And I'm on record stating that WarGreymon's debut in the series was let down by the rest of the show around it and not itself. Reshuffle some of the events of the previous episodes and it would be an all timer with basically no changes. Hououmon here, meanwhile, would require essentially an entirely new draft of the episode to be functional. It was genuinely an unimpressive showing. You have a point with Blitz Greymon at least, though we are even money he won't ever be appearing in the series again except maybe if they finally cash in and bring Omegamon Alter-S.

womb with a view posted:

When Koushirou analysed the data in Adventure the real world and the digital world overlapped perfectly!!

Yes, in Adventure 99. Despite some far left field theories this is a different show with a different Digital World with probably a different structure and quite possibly a different size. Alternately scale got borked and nobody really cared necessarily how large the world would have to be in comparison and they just wanted a shot of Ziyd Millenniumon being unfathomably huge.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I guess it's time to accept that Digimon Survive doesn't really exist.

https://twitter.com/E3/status/1404615332795277312

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The Worst E3 strikes again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I guess it's time to accept that Digimon Survive doesn't really exist.

https://twitter.com/E3/status/1404615332795277312

Not sure which would be the worse option, the game just being quietly cancelled after all this time or it being stuck in development hell for nearly a decade only to wind up sucking poo poo ala Duke Nukem Forever (maybe the latter)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Omnicrom posted:

And I'm on record stating that WarGreymon's debut in the series was let down by the rest of the show around it and not itself. Reshuffle some of the events of the previous episodes and it would be an all timer with basically no changes. Hououmon here, meanwhile, would require essentially an entirely new draft of the episode to be functional. It was genuinely an unimpressive showing. You have a point with Blitz Greymon at least, though we are even money he won't ever be appearing in the series again except maybe if they finally cash in and bring Omegamon Alter-S.

I've said it before, but Wargreymon's debut would have worked a hell of a lot better if they did it during the part where Hikari was almost consumed by the darkness and had Taichi scrambling to save her. It's got better emotional stakes and a more dramatic reason to debut the form.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Not sure which would be the worse option, the game just being quietly cancelled after all this time or it being stuck in development hell for nearly a decade only to wind up sucking poo poo ala Duke Nukem Forever (maybe the latter)

The latter. The former means they can at least move on to the next Story game, the latter means we may be waiting for nothing for that much longer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

The latter. The former means they can at least move on to the next Story game, the latter means we may be waiting for nothing for that much longer.

Good point. I hope they make an announcement at some point then (even if it’s just that they’re finally putting the poor thing out of its misery).

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Digimon Survive dev team and the Digimon Story team are separate. Whether one of them is cancelled or not has no bearing on the other.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

My guess is that when Survive was initially announced they probably had barely even gotten anywhere in development, and not long after we get COVID so it's development has probably been a complete mess moving at a glacial pace and the real reason we've seen basically nothing since the original announcements is that they still haven't really gotten anywhere near enough of anything worth showing done, especially since it's probably near the bottom of Bandai's priorities concerning game development

So I doubt it's going to get canceled but my assumptions are it's either going to get quietly released in a barely finished form sometime in the fall, or they're going to just keep it hushed up till it's properly finished sometime in the next year or two

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The Digimon Survive dev team and the Digimon Story team are separate. Whether one of them is cancelled or not has no bearing on the other.

I hope you're right (because Survive isn't happening) but I can't be totally sure when they were so adamant about the next Story coming out after Survive, and Habu being involved in both.

Meanwhile, E3:
https://twitter.com/NoContxtmon/status/1404874958296211460

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Survive probably bleeds money as long as it continues to "exist", though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Digimon Survive? More like Digimon Dead!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's animated now, thanks Wikimon
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1404925293836619776

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

My guess is that when Survive was initially announced they probably had barely even gotten anywhere in development, and not long after we get COVID so it's development has probably been a complete mess moving at a glacial pace and the real reason we've seen basically nothing since the original announcements is that they still haven't really gotten anywhere near enough of anything worth showing done, especially since it's probably near the bottom of Bandai's priorities concerning game development

So I doubt it's going to get canceled but my assumptions are it's either going to get quietly released in a barely finished form sometime in the fall, or they're going to just keep it hushed up till it's properly finished sometime in the next year or two

Wasn’t Survive first announced back in 2019 though? What was their excuse before the pandemic hit?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Wasn’t Survive first announced back in 2019 though? What was their excuse before the pandemic hit?

July 2018 in fact, no idea why

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

It was announced in July 2018. It was supposed to come out in 2019 in time for Digimon's 20th anniversary, but got pushed back to 2020, then to 2021 because of COVID. Even before the pandemic information on it was always slow to come out and infuriatingly sparse, to the point where it took like two years to even reveal the entire main cast. It's always been a quasi-meme that Digimon Survive is just some fake phantom vaporware project that will never really come out and Bandai is just too stubborn to tell the world it's actually been cancelled for a long time now.

If it skipped E3 after three years in development hell there's no loving way it's coming out this year.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

There is diginavi later this week.if it’s not there or at tgs im giving up and think it’s canceled

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Instead of talking about a game that doesn't exist, let me talk for a moment a game that does.

Project Digimon is a fangame meant to serve as a sequel/modernization of Digimon Rumble Arena (Rumble Arena 2 is actually an entirely separate game that got renamed that in the west for marketing purpouses). I've talked about it before, I mostly bring it up again because it got updated to v0.6 on Friday, which added Hawkmon (Valkyrimon), Armadimon (SlashAngemon) and PicoDevimon (BelialVamdemon) to the game, as well as the 02 route, thus completing the 02 roster, and it still has more to go.

As of now, this game has 62 playable Digimon, which is insane for a fighting game, and several costumes are different Digimon themselves if you want to count those (for instance, Tsukaimon is one of Patamon's costumes, and evolves into BlackSeraphimon). I made a list of all of the playable Digimon because I have nothing but respect for this game and I feel people should try it out:

• Keramon > Diablomon
  • Dracumon > Piemon (alt 3: ChaosPiemon)
  • Hagurumon (alt 3: Solarmon) > Mugendramon (alt 3: HiMugendramon)
  • Mushmon > Pinochimon
  • Betamon (alt 2: ModokiBetamon) > MetalSeadramon (alt 3: ChaosSeadramon)
  • PicoDevimon > BelialVamdemon
  • Agumon (alt 2: YukiAgumon) > WarGreymon/WarGreymon X
  • Gabumon (alt 3: BlackGabumon) > MetalGarurumon (alt 3: BlackMetalGarurumon)
  • Tentomon > HerakleKabuterimon (alt 3: Mutant HerakleKabuterimon)
  • Patamon (alt 3: Tsukaimon) > Seraphimon (alt 3: BlackSeraphimon)/Goddramon
  • V-mon > Imperialdramon FM (alt 2: Infected Imperialdramon FM)/Magnamon
  • Wormmon > GrandisKuwagamon
  • BlackAgumon > BlackWarGreymon (alt 2: ChaosGreymon)
  • Guilmon (alt 3: BlackGuilmon) > Dukemon (alt 3: ChaosDukemon)/Dukemon X
  • Terriermon > SaintGalgomon (alt 3: BlackSaintGalgomon)/Rapidmon Armor
  • Renamon > Sakuyamon (alt 2: Kuzuhamon/alt 3: Mutant Sakuyamon)
  • Gomamon > Vikemon/Plesiomon (alt 2: Mutant Plesiomon)
  • Piyomon > Hououmon
  • Palmon (alt 3: Alraumon) > Rosemon
  • Tailmon > Holydramon/Ofanimon > Ofanimon Core
  • Hawkmon > Valkyrimon
  • Armadimon > SlashAngemon
  • Leomon (alt 2: Panjyamon/alt 3: Dark Leomon) > SaberLeomon
  • Impmon > Beelzebumon (alt 2: Mutated Beelzebumon) > Beelzebumon BM
  • Lopmon (alt 3: White Lopmon) > Cherubimon Vice
  • Omegamon (alt 3: Omegamon Zwart)
  • Dukemon CM
  • Gokumon

Okay, back to moping about how Survive doesn't exist.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
What exactly are the mutants? Also, how do the double Digivolutions work? I notice Gatomon and Beelzemon have them, along with some Digimon having two Digivolution options.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Bee posted:

What exactly are the mutants? Also, how do the double Digivolutions work? I notice Gatomon and Beelzemon have them, along with some Digimon having two Digivolution options.

Mutants are essentially just a slight variation on the recolors the franchise has always had, they're generally treated as the same species(unlike say for example Gabumon and Psychemon) though sometimes they have slightly different stats or attacks and sometimes behave a bit differently

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I actually dug up my copy of Rumble Arena and popped in my memory card, I have all characters unlocked but I remember nothing about this game other than the character select screen :psyduck:

I remember Digimon World 1-3 and Card Battle vividly though

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bee posted:

Mutant Digimon are Digimon that were affected by Volcanicdramon's power in Linkz. There's a list in Wikimon, which is the only reason they know about it because I sure as hell am not playing any of the Digimon gacha.

About the double evolutions, let me explain these separately since we have two things here:
  • For the Digimon that have two Digimon separated by a slash (for example, Seraphimon/Goddramon) it means that they can choose one of them to evolve into before the battle begins. In some cases (such as the aforementioned Goddramon) the second evolution is an unlockable character, while in others (the X Digimon) you have them to begin with.
  • For the Digimon that have an evolution after an evolution (Beelzebumon BM and Ofanimon Core), this is due to a specific mechanic from Project Digimon that didn't exist in Rumble Arena. In Rumble Arena, if you started a match with an evolved Digimon, a full evolution gauge gave you access to your finishing move. Project Digimon removes finishing moves entirely, instead, an evolved Digimon (picked as such, not evolved in-battle) with a full gauge instead can trigger an "Ultra" stage. In most cases, the Ultra stages are slight changes to the original: a weird red palette on top of the Digimon and a statistical power-up, not much else. Others get something a bit more interesting, such as Dukemon CM getting a different down-special or Goddramon having his dragons surround him at all times. Ofanimon and Beelzebumon, though, take it a step higher and just have completely new evolutions. Beelzebumon BM actually changes his gameplay style completely, while Ofanimon Core is mostly aesthetic.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Opened my box of Great Legend. The SEC card I got was AncientGarurumon (probably the worst of the SEC cards, the best being Lucemon) but I got an alt art yellow WarGreymon card which is the best card in the BT4 meta, three BushiAgumon (one of very few cards to have Rush) and a number of D-Brigade cards so I’m pretty pleased

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

The Worst E3 strikes again.

Metroid dread has a release date, this is literally the only e3 ive ever cared about

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Metroid dread has a release date, this is literally the only e3 ive ever cared about

Which itself ironically is a project that's been at kind of a standstill development wise for even longer than Survive has (it originally started life as a planned DS game)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
This is going to be a dumb question probably, but how does Digivolving into Omnimon work in the card game? Do you need both Digivolution colors, or just one?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Bee posted:

This is going to be a dumb question probably, but how does Digivolving into Omnimon work in the card game? Do you need both Digivolution colors, or just one?

Just one. There currently isn’t any mechanic for fusion, which is probably for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
It probably is for the best. I just wanted to make sure since its mechanic references "one of" its level 6 Digivolution cards.