Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Was that newish Digimon World game any good? I kinda want to play something along the lines of the original DW but not as janky and confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Next Order is like the original game but bigger, with more modern quality-of-life features and generally doing stuff to explain its systems.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Improbable Lobster posted:

Was that newish Digimon World game any good? I kinda want to play something along the lines of the original DW but not as janky and confusing

Yeah, Next Order is good. The game is highly polished and its systems make sense and can be manipulated to your advantage, unlike the original. Plus it has Analogman back and Analogman's a great antagonist.

EDIT: We got the rosters for Hermit in the Jungle and Nu Metal Empire:
https://twitter.com/JP_Excelsior/status/1407002925457620992

HitJ has two new Digimon: Perfect-level Ayataramon and Mega-level BloomLordmon (not sure about the first romanization).

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 21, 2021

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The first one is Ajattaramon and the second one reads more like Blumlordmon (or blumme, bloem or another European language word for flower) but it wouldn’t be the first time they’ve used weird katakana for English words in Digimon names. I’ll accept Bloomlordmon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The first one is Ajattaramon and the second one reads more like Blumlordmon (or blumme, bloem or another European language word for flower) but it wouldn’t be the first time they’ve used weird katakana for English words in Digimon names. I’ll accept Bloomlordmon.

Oh, good to know! I'm taking romanizations off Twitter, I can't read any of the Japanese alphabets. Though I imagine that, if fans are having debates on how this should be romanized, Bandai will give us something significantly more stupid. Can't wait for VroomRoadmon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

weird they'd use MailBirdramon and not Greymon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

Or use Raremon as one of the Adults but not include RareRaremon or some other gross grubby Perfect for it to evolve into

Similarly the bugs in Hermit are kinda out of place unless the hidden Ultimate is AncientBeetmon or BanchoStingmon or something, and Spinomon is just plain awkward in general as Tropiamon is the only Perfect that makes much if any sense evolving into it and even then only in a vague sense that the opposite pattern(Dinosaur to Dragon) happens all the time in the franchise so the opposite happening for once kinda works, though Bacchusmon or Xuanwumon would have made way more sense

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

It's probably because it's Nu Metal Empire and Greymon is not particularly metallic, while MailBirdramon is a mechanic Digimon and MetalGreymon is a cyborg. I did expect Greymon too, but I can see why it wouldn't be there.

drrockso20 posted:

Or use Raremon as one of the Adults but not include RareRaremon or some other gross grubby Perfect for it to evolve into

Similarly the bugs in Hermit are kinda out of place unless the hidden Ultimate is AncientBeetmon or BanchoStingmon or something, and Spinomon is just plain awkward in general as Tropiamon is the only Perfect that makes much if any sense evolving into it and even then only in a vague sense that the opposite pattern(Dinosaur to Dragon) happens all the time in the franchise so the opposite happening for once kinda works, though Bacchusmon or Xuanwumon would have made way more sense

I have no idea here though. I agree with all of this, and I hadn't even thought about RareRaremon but it's weird that such a new Digimon doesn't get the chance to shine when its previous form is here. The bugs are a bit random, and Spinomon is just...weird.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

to be fair, the Jungle Troopers family has always been limited in representatives that aren't bugs or flower people

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's probably because it's Nu Metal Empire and Greymon is not particularly metallic, while MailBirdramon is a mechanic Digimon and MetalGreymon is a cyborg. I did expect Greymon too, but I can see why it wouldn't be there.

I have no idea here though. I agree with all of this, and I hadn't even thought about RareRaremon but it's weird that such a new Digimon doesn't get the chance to shine when its previous form is here. The bugs are a bit random, and Spinomon is just...weird.

To be fair Greymon XW is visibly a Cyborg unlike the regular version(helmet and horn are reinforced with metal, plus the "Blaster Tail" on it's well tail), though admittedly it would look a little weird evolving from Hagurumon

Nodosaur posted:

to be fair, the Jungle Troopers family has always been limited in representatives that aren't bugs or flower people

True, though there's quite a few Digimon from other Fields that could easily fit into the Jungle Troopers one, indeed I'm generally in favor of Digimon belonging to multiple fields when appropriate(though I'd also be in favor of a slight condensing of the fields by eliminating Virus Busters as a field entirely*, and merging the Unknown and Dark Area fields into a single field^)

*probably distributing most of its members between Wind Guardians(would especially help this field feel more distinct particularly with Jungle Troopers taking over its old niche of having a bunch of the Plant and Insect Digimon in it) , Dragon's Roar, and maybe even a few to Nightmare Soldiers(as for why get rid of Virus Busters, well I'm just not a fan of there being a Field that is so blatantly meant to be the "Designated Good Guy" group, especially with how most of it's representation in V-Pets is mostly protagonist Digimon)

^probably call the new field Unknown Area or something, play it up as being more alien in nature compared to either Nightmare Soldiers or Metal Empire where it has the most overlap in the kind of Digimon it covers(sure we could have just disbanded Unknown and Dark Area entirely, but by merging them together that means that after disbanding Virus Busters we'd have exactly 8 Fields and the symmetry with that pleases me)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm trying to think of who they could still include that would fit. I mean, putting Lilymon and Lilamon in the same line up would be kinda samey, and also I'm not sure what Wind Guardians really feel "jungle"-y.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Parrotmon would fit in pretty well.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I suppose I would find this out eventually if I keep watching the show but people discussed certain things changing in the dub for the original Digimon Adventures so I want to know... (I've taken a small break to binge watch Given.)

Are TK and Matt actually related and if so are their parents divorced as implied in the dub? Is Izzy still adopted in the non-dub?

I only ask because those are two things I found super neat as a kid that they included and I think I would be a little bummed if those weren't in the original character stories.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Zurtilik posted:

I suppose I would find this out eventually if I keep watching the show but people discussed certain things changing in the dub for the original Digimon Adventures so I want to know... (I've taken a small break to binge watch Given.)

Are TK and Matt actually related and if so are their parents divorced as implied in the dub? Is Izzy still adopted in the non-dub?

I only ask because those are two things I found super neat as a kid that they included and I think I would be a little bummed if those weren't in the original character stories.

Those are still in the original! The dub made a mistake in like the third episode or something where they had Matt say he and TK were half brothers, but that was really early on and obviously corrected. The only other similar change was Mimi mentioning a little brother during some comedic dialogue when she’s actually an only child.
Overall the dub was faithful to the original plot. I don’t think any character backgrounds or major plot points were changed.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Those are still in the original! The dub made a mistake in like the third episode or something where they had Matt say he and TK were half brothers, but that was really early on and obviously corrected. The only other similar change was Mimi mentioning a little brother during some comedic dialogue when she’s actually an only child.
Overall the dub was faithful to the original plot. I don’t think any character backgrounds or major plot points were changed.

Rad! :kiddo:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It should be noted that Tri.'s dub for some reason kept the "half brothers" thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

It should be noted that Tri.'s dub for some reason kept the "half brothers" thing.

Those are Tri's sins, of which there are many. The actual dub, written by different people, fixed that error as soon as they had the context for it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think they were changed to half-brothers so it was less hosed-up that they got separated when their parents divorced.

Because seriously what the gently caress, who does that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

girl dick energy posted:

I think they were changed to half-brothers so it was less hosed-up that they got separated when their parents divorced.

It’s not even the only case of that happening in the franchise! In Frontier, two parents split up twins when they divorced!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

girl dick energy posted:

From what I've gathered from fans talking about it, apparently that is/was the common practice for divorced families in Japan?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I never saw much wrong with it but all of my siblings are half so I don't see the distinction being anything

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s not even the only case of that happening in the franchise! In Frontier, two parents split up twins when they divorced!

And this is further compounded by the fact that neither knew the other existed for most of their life and both were led to believe their other parent was dead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

I never saw much wrong with it but all of my siblings are half so I don't see the distinction being anything
It makes the whole experience even more brutal. Hey, not only is one of your parents leaving your life, so is this person you trust who could be someone to help you go through it together. You know, the one who's been with you for either your or their entire life and you've been taught to watch out for each other?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

girl dick energy posted:

It makes the whole experience even more brutal. Hey, not only is one of your parents leaving your life, so is this person you trust who could be someone to help you go through it together. You know, the one who's been with you for either your or their entire life and you've been taught to watch out for each other?

In fairness, we're shown to some extent that they've kept in contact, with Yamato and Takeru still having a very close relationship. I'm pretty sure they still have both of their parents in their life, if not all the time.

Kouji and Koichi, on the other hand...goddamn that one was messy. "Your other parent is dead also you never had a twin brother" is one hell of a thing. Kouji's father is still the worst.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

so here's a neat little project someone over on the 4chan /vg/ Digimon general discussion threads recently did, a series of charts listing every Digimon visually by year of introduction(further organized by level and then alphabetically), both in individual pics by each year(except the years 2015 & 2016 which share an image cause only 8 total new Digimon were introduced during that 2 year span, and the years 2008 & 2009 where no new Digimon were introduced at all) and one downright enormous combined image with all of them together(as well as a couple bonus images listing off every non-Digimon Digital Lifeform, a list of Digimon that didn't meet the criteria the creator had for making the main charts, and a list of fakes that ended up on the wikis that were one of his main sources for making this series, and lastly a subfolder containing every pic he used to make the charts);

https://mega.nz/folder/Hd0mXBBI#hHrsl6e38LQUJ7-rJlVuyw

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drrockso20 posted:

so here's a neat little project someone over on the 4chan /vg/ Digimon general discussion threads recently did, a series of charts listing every Digimon visually by year of introduction(further organized by level and then alphabetically), both in individual pics by each year(except the years 2015 & 2016 which share an image cause only 8 total new Digimon were introduced during that 2 year span, and the years 2008 & 2009 where no new Digimon were introduced at all) and one downright enormous combined image with all of them together(as well as a couple bonus images listing off every non-Digimon Digital Lifeform, a list of Digimon that didn't meet the criteria the creator had for making the main charts, and a list of fakes that ended up on the wikis that were one of his main sources for making this series, and lastly a subfolder containing every pic he used to make the charts);

Of the Class of '97, the only one I don't recognize is Danemon.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Of the Class of '97, the only one I don't recognize is Danemon.

I had to look it up over at Wikimon, but they say that thing is called Bun. I have no idea where the chart got Danemon or Buu. It's apparently the partner of Proto-Tai from a manga the V-Tamer author did before V-Tamer. Says it's a fusion of how he draws Koromon and Agumon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's been talked about before but the manga Bun is from C'mon Digimon is a bit odd in the art department as it came out pretty much simultaneously with the Japanese release of Digital Monster Version 1, so the designs for everyone are quite different from their more well known designs in many respects

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Digimon Adventure: will be the first Digimon anime with five endings, we're getting a new one in July. It'll be the first song in the franchise by a K-Pop group too I believe.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1407847735160619008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBa-2jFyT4

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

where did that art of DarkVolumon come from

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blaze Dragon posted:

Digimon Adventure: will be the first Digimon anime with five endings, we're getting a new one in July. It'll be the first song in the franchise by a K-Pop group too I believe.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1407847735160619008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBa-2jFyT4

Unless they’re singing a capella that group does need that many vocalists. Goddamn I do not care for Kpop

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Bun gets called a "Damemon" as in "A digimon that is no good" in the manga.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
this is the style of the throwback set

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Holy poo poo, the nostalgia just hit me like a train.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
man that old art is so good, i miss how sharp everyone looked

just like pokemon, weirdly enough. i guess both franchises realized cute sold more then edgy and ya know, i get it

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Happy birthday to this entire franchise!
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1408442824996106242

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

I'm in awe at how far they went to emulate the (By all accounts utterly failed) US version of hyper coloseum (They even emulated the text on the booster wrappers and everything).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I remember as a kid never being able to remotely figure out how the hell the old Digimon card game was supposed to work, but then most card games besides MtG and Yugioh were mystifying to me back then, in particular I remember it took me years to figure out how the Pokemon card game was supposed to work

Ultimately I think it came down to them making things too overly complicated and trying too hard to avoid copying Magic's mechanics, meanwhile the current card game works partially because it is stealing a lot of its mechanics from another successful TCG(Duel Masters to be specific)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That they also screwed around with the rules from HC didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Episode 54: hey remember when Adventure 20 was really great week to week and had a lot of promise and potential? Man it's been a while. Still, this episode was a really on point callback to those halcyon days and not just because of who showed up. Really strong action and a story that, while simple, was still paced really well and told quite effectively.

It's a Mimi episode next week and those have consistently been very strong, so I'm pulling for Rosemon to have a better showing than Hououmon.