Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I'm rewatching 02 with some friends after we finished with Adventure a little while ago. Oh 02, so much potential, just enough good moments and characters to keep you hanging in there, but then it just misses out entirely on what should have been an easy score and shows you a boring piece of filler instead.

One fun thing though is that some people in the group have been watching the dub and some the sub. The episode where Daisuke sees Tortomon taking a massive piss was great to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Although I guess in Japanese if you read it phonetically it is Bebidomon.

It's like what happened with Sukamon. They meant scum but whoever was translating I guess didn't pick up on that.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

I still have problems with Adventure 20 in terms of plotting and structure, but man, when the show decides to go hard it goes HARD. Holy poo poo.

I stopped watching about 8 or 9 episodes in, does it pick up? I just found all the characters very bland and the evolutions a bit unearned.

I did appreciate that they didn't just fall into predictable conflicts (e.g. no princess Mimi), and as everyone says the animation is nice.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Say what you will about stuff like Princess Mimi but that was at least intresting (or funny, ether's good) in the moment to moment.

Yeah in the original Adventure it was fine, it worked as part of her character development and she had been living in the Digital World for months at that point so it was more understandable. But rehashing that for her intro in 2020 would have been a slog I think.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sadly no. The series puts zero interest in its characters and has fights every episode that feel like filler most of the time. The animation doesn't keep up either, we've had several very ugly episodes.

It has some high points but overall Adventure: is definitely not as good as the series it reboots.

Ah that's too bad, I heard a lot of praise for it in the beginning!

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

No Digimon series keeps a consistent level of quality, and you can divide them in "starts weak, ends strong" (Adventure, Tamers, Savers, Appmon) and "starts strong, ends weak" (02, Frontier, Xros Wars if including Hunters, Tri).

I really want to rewatch Tamers because I do remember from many, many years ago that it gets really good. But my god I cannot get through those first 20 or so episodes.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

For a franchise that really likes to sell to its legacy fans, it has an almost psychotic hatred of adults trying to be anything but utterly loving miserable in the Tri era.

Yeah I thought that was weirdly antithetical to the ethos of Adventure, especially in Kizuna. I heard that Hiroyuki Kakudou left the production of it because he didn't agree with the direction it was taking, I wonder if that was part of it.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I cannot overstate my love for Butterfly.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

02 was probably when the dub got to the levels that everyone hated.

There are some cuts made in Adventure though. Depending on what version of the dub you're watching, a lot of building destruction scenes were cut out post 9/11. There's an episode that has a lot of guns in it and it gets pretty mangled. A lot of impacts of punches and attacks are shortened or turned into white flashes.

My favourite sub moment that got super duper cut out in the dub was the episode of 02 that hinges entirely on Tortomon taking a massive piss.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

The Skullgreymon arc also referenced another part of the v-pets: to get some of the alternate evolutions, you needed to overfeed your Digimon a number of times.

The Dark Masters (and MetalEtemon) were all the virus type final evolutions on the original 5 Pendulum pets... Except Metalseadramon. He was the data type evolution. Probably because the virus one on Deep Savers was...

(90s virtual pets are my embarrassing nerd hobby)

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

hi friend, same

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Bandai got screwed over but they also seriously underestimated the demand for it and they have a history of not understanding how to handle their series in the West

"Keep an eye out, see what's coming!"

PMush Perfect posted:

I love the concept of BanchoLilymon, but that particular art is just a toooouch too oversexualized to really sell the bancho aesthetic properly. Can't really see her as a "tough girl" when she's wearing a uniform-themed crop top.

I know, I know, "oversexualized" is digimon.txt.

100% agreed. The best levels in Digimon are child to perfect, because almost all ultimates are just armored man/gundam or oversexualised woman.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

And Nanimon is Oyaji from Tamagotchi.

Digimon lore is weird and silly

I love every bit of it (except when it gets sex weird)

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Please, ClearAgumon

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

When Taichi isn't on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "where's Taichi?"

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Jou and Mimi's dark masters side story was great.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Also gotta say, 02 did a better job selling each evo as a cool thing.
It was pretty bad about the champions. They each get one episode (and Iori/Ankylomon's doesn't even make sense or have any focus on him) and then bam, Paildramon

Although the Tortomon piss episode is great

womb with a view fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 17, 2021

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Hey if they do another horrible continuation of an old franchise maybe they'll rerelease the anniversary D3s and D-Arcs like the ver. Completes. Give me the insanely priced nostalgic hunks of plastic disguised as children's toys, Bandai.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

jivjov posted:

Is there any good (read: not a complete gouge) aftermarket source for the digivice toys from Bandai? I missed the Adventure version Complete one despite trying to preorder a week before the deadline and I'd really like to acquire one...

You can look into proxies and ordering from Japanese sellers on Yahoo Japan Auctions. They're not usually as bad as eBay scalpers. But then you have to pay for shipping and the proxy service and it usually ends up being pretty bad anyway. In summary,

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Totally agreed! I guess Pokemon kind of shot itself in the foot with the games allowing every generation to incorporate all of the previous ones.

The designs also feel more varied because it seems like there's less restriction on them. All of them can evolve into whatever vaguely related form they want and there's not too much of a unifying theme or style that they need to follow. This is good, because sometimes you get Gundramon, but also bad, because sometimes you get Sistermon.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

The Bee posted:

I think part of it is the aesthetic shift to less outlandish/monstrous designs in favor of Hot Cosplay Girl and the venn diagrams of Cool Knight, Cool Robot, and Cool Dragon. Half of why I like the new vpet designs so much is the return of weirdo monster designs instead of the more cool, streamlined look modern Digimon's largely had.

Hackmon line is the biggest offender of the standardization, IMO. I legit can't tell half of its forms apart.

Oh man yeah I love the new PenZ designs. Part of the reason I'm excited for the Vital Bracelet is because they're doing v-pet-style branches. I want to see what Blucomon can become, his child form is so cute but the rest of the line doesn't do it for me.

Oh, speaking of PenZs and the Vital Bracelet! If you haven't heard, there's a leak that suggests the new PenZ Digimon are going to be the next DiM set:

womb with a view fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 23, 2021

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Nokia is extremely powerful, but also the character designer is a bit... well, I donít think he understands how breasts work

The character design in these games turned me off enough that I never got very far. Everyone is constantly pushing their chest out as forward and high as they can and all the titties are trying to escape to the ceiling at all times.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Glad to see Adventure: is chugging along nicely

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I really like them both. I especially like that they're in the Pulsemon tree but contain no flourescent green.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Yeah there's no need to preorder them (for once) unless you really want Veemon or Blackagumon, but the window for those have largely passed anyway. You can definitely afford to wait if you're on the fence.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Sleeping Sigma posted:

So the app for the Vital Bracelet is out in Japan now. Unfortunately, the rumor that there would be a language option in the settings was not true. It's got a lot in it though and really makes me hope that they bring it to the west proper. If you'll forgive the lovely image I also have the silhouette for Pulsemon's final mega. It looks cool.

If you want to spoil yourself on the sprites, a dataminer has already found all the current wave of DiM cards' Digimon:

https://twitter.com/pepper_rocket/status/1102249168905687041?s=20

People think they might be missing one for Gabumon though, he's only got 16 listed while Agumon has 17.

I originally thought I probably would be too busy with the other ones to bother with Pulsemon, but all his ultimates (megas, final forms, whatever) are so dope I don't know which one to run first!

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Also, I'm calling no more Adventure: DiMs(maybe for TK and Kari) since Birdramon is there in Volcanic beat.

You never know, different DiMs might share Digimon. The Titan of Dust DiM was revealed to have botamon and koromon as its baby forms. But I suppose there are only so many babies...

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Tailmon was a clever thing they did in Adventure really. She was a champion/adult because she evolved naturally like everyone does in the Digital World when not attached to a human kid.

I have no clue about the production but if I had to hazard a guess, they noticed Angewomon on the Ver. S/Pendulum and said "oh it would be neat to put her in as a counterpart to Angemon, what does she come from? A cute cat? Great!" And then invented a backstory later. And I guess then invented Plotmon later because you can't have two chosen children with Tentomon as a partner.

RealFoxy posted:

Wait, I'm so out of the loop that I didn't even know that anything came after Tri

From what I hear this is for the best

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

It seems like a good idea until Konaka inevitably leaves the project over creative differences like Kakudou, and you just get Tri and Kizuna again.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Tamers songs might be the best in the franchise.

Except for Butterfly. I know you're all sick of Butterfly but it's the gold standard for a reason.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

At least they're okay on the v pets because it's hard to overdesign anything in 16 x 16 while still having it look like something

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

A couple proxies are just listing the specific cards since they're undoubtedly buying a ton of them

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m not too sure about this new red card...

Digivolve? So, what, they get bigger or something? gently caress it, godzilla fight, whatever

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I'm kind of pessimistic there, I could see them just running Konaka off too

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Granted, I've only ever watched the subbed version but I can't imagine it's essentially any different. But even as a kid watching it week to week it routinely just annoyed the hell out of me. It felt like and endless stream of pissing and moaning from any character on screen. The card gimmick was immediately tired. I don't like a mascot character suddenly being important for digivolutions. Good god literally anything related to Impmon/Beelzemon or Jeri made me wish they both got deleted and the show moved the hell on. You imagine a scene like Beelzemon using Fist of The Beast King to be this dramatic character turn and it's so hamfistedly animated it loses any emotional impact.

Additionally, all the protagonist digimon are boring. They do nothing but eventually get to their final evolutions with nothing to spice it up in between. 02 spiced it up with armor digivolutions and DNA digivolutions and then Tamers just does nothing but go back to a straight line of evolutions. You follow that with Frontier which bucks the whole partner digimon concept and instead lets the kids become digimon and combine their powers and Tamers looks even more dull by comparison.

Oh and then you have Savers which is still the best season ever.

I agree about Culumon, and I think the card thing was cool but man was it pushing hard for kids to buy the merch. I know, that's the point of all of these shows, but it felt real egregious there especially with all the insistence for the viewers to try to become tamers. And the kids and their Digimon are all pretty annoying until they hit their stride, which isn't until they start evolving to perfect level. Thankfully that's done really early in this series compared to others. I also thought Impmon's secret trauma and entire reason for being a mega psycho rear end in a top hat was stupid as hell when I first watched it. Maybe I would change my mind if I saw it again.

Having said that nah, the back half of that show rules.

E: Reading up on it, Konaka has said that the cards and Culumon were both mandated by Bandai, so that makes sense

womb with a view fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Halsemon is another good one. It was probably supposed to be Horusmon but nobody figured that out