Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I really liked the second half of 02 as a kid because Oikawa was voiced by Jamieson Price, and I could listen to him wax on poetically about random poo poo all day. :allears:

To be honest, the dood can read a phone book and it'd captivate me.

Though it wasn't enough to save 02 from being far more trouble than it's honestly worth.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And yet it's easily one of the better episodes from that mess.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I miss the time when Toei gave at least half a poo poo about any anime that wasn't called Pretty Cure.

Seriously though, after World Trigger and SMC, my expectations for Tri practically nonexistent.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They at least seem to vaguely try with Precure.

Last time I looked at World Trigger it I stopped at the OP cuz was a godamn slideshow.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The Bee posted:

I hope its just giving Megas to the rest of the team. I'm fine with most of their Digivolutions as is, honestly, even if I still find Magnadramon a weird choice for Gatomon's Mega.

They have the ones from the PSP Game as a base (Gatomon's mega there was the more thematicly correct Ofanimon) so there's that.

Hopefuly Toei won't cheap out and just upres the footage but that's probably asking for the tide to change.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BMB5150 posted:

Excited to see what Tri will entail. Been a few years since I've seen Adventure and Adventure 02. There on Netflix so may run through those quickly for grins. I do wonder if they're going to do 50 some odd episodes as those 2 seasons have for go for quality and shorten it to 26 as the norm. But like to see what crazy digimon they got for us this time. Past few seasons like the digimon they brought in but come on, give us the full royal knights.

Don't give Toei ideas, we've been through the Royal Knight Rigamrole twice already.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You can't never had enough Royal Knights :colbert:
Frontier Speaks otherwise and if we're going to get Royal Knights it'll be that sort of nonsesne rather than Savers because this is Sailor Moon Crystal Toei we're talking about.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah I get the impression working with Saban is an exercise in frustration.

I mean, that bomb edit besides, Data Squad got through relatively unscaved and that was Disney/Jetix.

Heck, snuck in a Kingdom Hearts reference of all things too.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 20, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

You laugh but as a Zeromus Boss that sort of dialogue is pretty much on the money.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKoh5nBxfGw
"Why do you all get the pizza, while I get the crust!?"

We need a thread of the best 'this dub sure has taken liberties'.

I think that's just the General Dub Thread

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Or any given Jump Movie, really.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
UK Netflix has Digimon Fusion so you can sit back and witness the whiteness that is Vic Mignogna voicing basically Kaiba and like a million rookies.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And then there's Commie who will a) Shove random bullshit into opening karaoke (see if their work on SAO II is uploaded to youtube, that's where I saw it) and b) Will arbitrarily translate things where a given translation has been agreed upon ("Mini-Usa")

Granted, both of those are subs of available in US shows (and UK in the case of SAO) but illegal bad subbing is still bad subbing.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 30, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
After Sailor Moon Crystal? I'm happy with my memories.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Christ, I had forgotten wholesale that Time Hunters was a loving thing.

That said, I just dealt with one slow motion train crash with Crystal and to a lesser extent Viz's cack handling of the video for the classic series. I do not need to be walking away from that only to get myself into a slow motion car accident with Tri.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 31, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To be fair, if you helm a Astro Boy series and don't make a fuckup of it (Sony certainly did but that's not his fault) you can pretty much retire at will.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Savers is the G Gundam to Tamers' Evangelion. Also the main character is a delinquent with seemingly superhuman strength who punches bad digimon to make his agumon evolve.

the plot is by the same person who made the setting/plot for G Gundam apparently.

Ryota Yamaguchi.

Dood's rap sheet is pretty impressive.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Mot to mention the "Buy all our playsets and toys!" nonsense going around.

At this point I've given up on Tri and I'm just going to enjoy the BR Rips that are floating about.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Brony Hunter posted:

Apocalymon and his crappy standup routine was the best part of the dub and I will fight anyone who disagrees :colbert:

Is that standup? I thought it was insane rambling to the point where he's only coherent enough to understand how stupid the bullshit he's spouting is "HA HA HA HA! Wait a minute, why am I laughing? I'm supposed to be depressed!"

It's the safe for TV version of Gigas going "NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS" and given that the Japanese version was him cutting himself (That was what Mimi tried to stop looking at FYI) and cursing being, well, The Living Hell, for all the enemies they had killed up to that point, well, yeah. Insanity was a better way out of it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 6, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Classy Hydra posted:

This is basically it.

Adventure was fun in the way most kid shows are, but the actual good writing is stretched thin and far between. It's difficult to enjoy without the context of having seen it when you were like 8. Especially with the dub, where the sound and music mixing was hosed the hell up even before the weird and seemingly arbitrary changes in the script.

Tamers is just legitimately good. Solid writing, characterization, etc., the difference is night and day compared to basically any other season. That said, I feel it did have some pacing problems towards the end, but that's a minor nitpick at best.

As a third option, Savers has basically more in common with dumb battle shonen than it does with any other digimon season. It's pretty entertaining on its own merits, and a little easier to drop into without pior knowledge of the franchise than the other two.
Adventure's writing is in peaks and valleys IMHO, for every dumb kid thing you usually had some really resonant thing with Izzy's adoption issues (the fact that scene was not played for laughs in the Saban Dub except as a point to say "Ok, the serious stuff is over" will always put Saban in front of 4kids to me) Sora's hangups about her mother to that bit in the Dark Masters arc where Tai just breaks the hell down (again, another scene I thought Saban got right) and, hell, even the softer stuff was just fun rather than inherently egregious.

Tamers is that with master strokes and a lot less inherent silliness which is fine and has made that show pretty much the great thing we know it for.

Savers is G Gundam with Digimon minus Imagawa

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 8, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wild Force was the better Sentai Series made by saban that year and, generally speaking, that was all over the darn shop and not viewed as highly as Time Force.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Could Tri be the Battle of Gods to Digimon Season 2, Digimon's "GT"?

That would be the smart thing to do. So no.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

ShineGreymon Ruin Mode, basically burst mode but rage instead of... heroism or something.

I honestly can't remember the fight it popped up in, though I do remember that it basically only stopped because ShineGreymon turned right back into an egg.

Edit: Found the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RomNpU2STlw

I think its a rare case where the evil mode actually gets to cause some collateral, buuuut only towards an offscreen populace.
I forget, was Thomas' turn coating always a ploy or was that an invention of the dub to soften the affair?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

On another topic, the last Nade-Nade just came up in the tri website. Maybe it'll say when the series starts!

I'm open to surprises.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Can we talk for a minute about how wonderfully stupid Xross Wars season 1 was?

The Love Love Dance will forever be up there in the pantheon of "poo poo aired on National TV for a child audience that is both japanese and animated that will ruin your parents' perspective on your chosen preference in media."

It was also loving bizarre.
Like, even by Japanese Standards.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

I didn't watch anything past season 5 and, thanks to this post, I just saw this.

What...what is the context?
In not too many words, the scoobies (two on stage) get press ganged into doing some stupid stuff to advance the plot (the dancing to awaken some guardian digimon or some such nonsense) whilst Taiki does important talking to Not-Kaiba stuff in response to Not-Kaiba being force-fed a lot of crow in episodes previous.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So we're clear I am to take it that the airdate is going to be announced at that date, effectively half way through the season they announced previously would be when it would air.

:suicide:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

Probably didn't help that it was caught up in the whole Saban/Disney trade, so some international markets (such as here in Britain) didn't really get Frontier at all, probably because it didn't have say, the continuing sales of a toyline like Power Rangers did, to help validate putting it on.
Fox Kids / Jettix / Disney XD UK have a lot to answer for in terms of their anime output; From Digimon Frontier and Sailor Moon S not being aired when stated in the FK days, to Naruto's appalling editing in the Jetix Days to XD somehow utterly bollocking up Inazuma Eleven's release such that the franchise died in the UK, the sort of one place where Football, saying nothing of Level 5, is "A Thing"

Honestly, the fact they haven't screwed up Pokemon (even if the show was doing a good job of doing that on it's own terms with Gen 5) is something of a small miracle.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Pokemon airs in Cartoon Network :v: They've done a good job bringing anime there, Kill la Kill and Space Dandy got really solid ratings.

Pokemon has a weird airing history in the UK especially during Gen 3 / 4 but by the time the second half of DP came around it mostly stick to Jetix / Disney XD and CITV.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If this is the episode I'm thinking of, this is the one they previewed on Fox Kids UK showing the scene where Takuya and Izzumi are in a hole and for some reason or another Izzumi slaps the silly out of him.

This and one clip of Professor Tomoe is all we saw of Digimon Frontier and Sailor Moon S before amazon got all of classic digimon and paped it on Amazon Prime.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 21, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, they fall in the hole and I guess she thought Takuya was being a pervert, so she smacked him around.

Surprisingly not much was cut from that if memory serves.

Yeah, looking at it, not as many slaps but she still smacks him silly.

My god was Michelle Ruff er, rough in this one. Her's was not an easy carrear start between this and Rave.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Doesn't she also start Toei's whole thing with the hip drop?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The only good application of that move was Heartcatch and only really to show up how bad Tsubomi was at naming attacks.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 30, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Compounded even by the lack of Phat Planet.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
"Aw, who knows what them drat Jovians are thinking anyway?!"

I've given up on trying to make sense of Toei's actions

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You know I want to say this 6 episode plan of Toei's is them seeing where Crystal got them and they're trying to right the boat but gently caress if I trust them to.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 6, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly, once they got past the first arc, Saban were perfectly fine IMHO. Not perfect but as far as adapting a Japanese Kids cartoon without getting their teeth kicked in back in 2000 they got as much though as they can (How they got the Bath Gag in the Pagumon episode though I'll never know)

When 4Kids did something right (Like, say, Yugi getting freaked out over nearly killing Kaiba) it was the exception. Saban being on point was more the rule.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Gigasmon looks like something that came out of those pokemon fusion websites.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Quincytbb posted:

The first four seasons of Digimon got uploaded to crunchyroll, just in time for me to shamelessly binge before the new series comes out.

US only. :downsgun:

I sure love paying CR more to get less. Really cools my coffee and makes my cornflakes soggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Considering why these exist, that'd mean a Tamers sequel. And knowing how Konaka ended it on a really sour note...

I mean, it could follow from Runaway Locomon, which is the better ending anyways, but in either case I wouldn't accept it without Konaka taking full charge of the series.

It's also never happening because you can't milk nostalgia as hard from it as you can from Adventure.
Between E7 AO and SMC I'd rather they leave Tamers (as with any 90-00's anime tent pole series) well the gently caress alone.

For Tamers specifically we have an ending where everyone's hangups have been resolved. We're good.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 8, 2015