Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand 02 had an episode in which davis was terrified of friendship for some reason

and an episode where kairi nearly got made cthulhu's bride and this was never referenced again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Tamers dub was a big step up from the Adventure dubs.

One big problem with the Adventure dubs is that they seemed to be absolutely terrified of letting a moment be silent, even if it was silent in the JP version. Everyone was constantly chattering, yapping, tossing out jokes - there's no pauses for comedic or dramatic effect, except, like, once.

The music didn't help, it was all loud and poorly used. The Adventure Dubs weren't bad, not at all, but I can at least see why someone would prefer the original VA over that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iserlohn posted:

Or at least change the poo poo post tag to computers or something.
if you ever played Digimon World for the PS1, you'd understand the poo poo post tag

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

How the gently caress do you pronounce Xross? Eckscross? Ecksross? Crossross?
Cross.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quincytbb posted:

Is there any way to watch Digimon Savers online without having to resort to files? I have spent a while looking for it but netflix dosnt have it and neither does hulu, and the only thing I have found is low quality youtube videos.
The dub changed the name to Digimon Data Squad, try looking for that?

Though you might wind up with, you know, the dub. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Genocyber posted:

I don't understand how someone can watch digimon without the dub. The dub is what makes it Digimon.
The first few seasons, definitely, but Savers has the protagonist and his agumon calling each other ANIKI like they're no good delinquents and that alone is worth watching the original for

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I liked how the middle part of 02 was just steveblummon wandering around and wondering why he was even a character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dragon_pamcake posted:

^^^
Nothing tops the episode where Ken gets kidnapped and tortured in the back of a semi. That was dark as poo poo.
The dub of that scene had the best line in the history of fiction

"Just imagine you're a box of cereal... and I'm scanning your barcode."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

As someone who has never watched the US dub and everything he's read about it makes him sick, I have to wonder why people defend it so much. I have to defend my own Latin American dub though, directly from the Japanese version and masterfully dubbed, though with a bit of confusion over which names to use (they always stuck to the same, but it was a weird mix of original and dub names). Apparently Savers was dubbed from the US version, but by that time I was already watching subs anyways.
The English dubs for adventure and 02 forced in some lame jokes and awkward music cues, but the Tamers dub is actually really good and treats the source material with respect. There's still some added lines, but it's nothing that ruins anything, and a lot of the jokes actually land.

And the dubs for the first two seasons aren't really bad. They have problems, but they were faithful where it mattered, for the most part. poo poo, they were even pretty upfront about the fact that Wizardmon was dead as a doornail, from what I remember.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

The final boss for adventure complained about only having crust to eat when everyone else gets the whole pizza and that is wonderful, actually.

on the other hand HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGMON

CHAMPIONS OF THE DIGITAL WORLD

HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGIMON

MONSTER FRIENDS TO THE BOYS AND GIRLS

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Red Bones posted:

That song was poo poo, but the theme song was boss. The later series' dubs not using it (is it a rights thing?) is a tragedy.
It's not a rights thing, it's that the Latin dub was made independent of the US one, directly from the source material. They adapted from Japanese > Spanish, not Japanese > English > Spanish.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That seems like a nice way of saying that it won't be repeating stock footage and the bare minimum of animation, like mainline digimon series.

Also that it might not be 50+ episodes, either. I could see it just being one or two cours.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Covok posted:

As much as I'd like a song as good as Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers for Digimon, it didn't happen.
iiiiiits' been one week

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh Gross, is that terrible artist who did Devil Survivor working on this?
He's not a bad artist when he isn't trying to draw huge tits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I dunno, lady on the right there has those same Perfectly Round Anti Gravity Tit-like objects that just make me laugh. Like it makes it seem like the artist has never actually seem a person let alone a titty.
'when he isn't trying to draw huge tits...'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There was a blu-ray remaster of Adventure 01 as part of the marketing for Tri. You can see the difference in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc9O5I20xzY

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They could give the Adventure crew fusions, like the 02 cast got.

Fusions besides Omnimon, I mean.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Was there any actual indication of Tai liking Sora? It's been years since I watched the dub and the Japanese version doesn't really mention anything at all beyond Davis and Kari.
It's mostly from the Digimon movie, IIRC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite moment in digimon is the tamers movie where beezlemon does nothing but get hit by a train

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he rides up on his motorcycle, there's a swell of dramatic, darkly heroic music, and then he gets hit by a train and isnt seen for the rest of the movie

rest in peace

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sharrrk posted:

man i'm really interested in this new series but i don't think it'll be the same without the dub voices and writing
i wonder if theyll dub this for netflix/hulu or something

get the original VAs back and pander to nostalgia

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

adventure and adventure 02 had some bad moments but Tamers treated the material with a decent amount of respect. There were some jokes added in the dubbing, but only in the goofier moments, and they generally worked.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Digimon Adventure 02 had about seventy writers. One of them wrote Cthulhu fiction.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vivisecting posted:

I just thought of something really scary.

What if... if it's just an ova? :ohdear:
it's already been confirmed to be a series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That explains the 'aniki' thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Burkion posted:

Rei is Henry.
Wouldn't Juri be Rei?

I mean it's not that close of a comparison but nobody really is. Even the Rika/Asuka thing has the crucial difference of Rika actually having a positive relationship.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The dub of Tamers is pretty good. They only add lame puns where they can get away with it - more comedic scenes, scenes of the characters interacting, whatever. There's no random puns thrown out during dramatic moments like there were in adventure/adventure 02.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

This is also why episode 21 looks loving amazing. I honestly would love an entire series of Hosada-Digimon, I mean he's expressed a dislike for the Digital World so it would all be based in the real world, and it would probably be amazing.
I jsut want Hosoda to do a TV series, period.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mateo360 posted:

Just a small story I want to post.

Back when season 1 was airing on Fox Kids, my friend and I made our own Digimon partner, crest, etc like little kids love to do when they pretend (We were in ether 4th or 5th grade by that point). The interesting part is that we also decided to make up our own different ways of digivolving. She came up with fusing with her digimon (bio-merge) to be a different level. I decided it would be cool if I could digivolve as well (Spirit evolution). So I always get a laugh when watching Tamers or Frontier just by the fact we came up some of the methods before the show did.
so she watched dbz and you watched magical girl shows

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think the caution worked because i thought skull greymon was cool as gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rudoku posted:

They didn't get the "maybe this wasn't a good idea" thing right until Meggidramon. That fucker was creepy. I heard Data Squad had a Greymon fuckup, too. Was it scary?
It was called Ruinmon IIRC, and it wasn't that bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nahxela posted:

Does that mean Savers' protagonists are the strongest? Because Gotsumon brought a bunch of Okuwamon into the real world and they got beat up (I think all by Masaru and Agumon/RizeGreymon?)
yes, but not because of whatever the gently caress you just said, but because the main dude punches things that are on fire

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why do people act like 02 ruined their lives

it was a mediocre show with a couple of okay points and a weird ending

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Burkion posted:

It cannot be overstated how much I do not like season 2. I really, really do not like season 2. If anything proved to me, personally, that it's not just an act I put on for comedy, it's how disappointed I was at being reminded of season 2 for a brief moment by TK's digivice. I really wish they just went all the way and ignored season 2 entirely. It would make a lot of things make a lot of sense.
It's been 13 years, man. Move on. 02 had issues but it wasn't the worst thing to ever happen in the history of man.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly he's basically mostly right, he's just using facebook dad language to express it. It's not really worth getting up in arms about or saying it ruins tamers or lain or anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you only need to look at poo poo like that attack helicopter short story where it was a trans author trying to explore militarization of queer identity via an insult directed at trans people, but people saw the Bad Words so they immediately ruined that lady's life and harassed her so much she completely detransitioned and never wrote again, to get that like, yeah, online group think trying to snuff out 'bad' opinions kinda sucks. He's not exactly wrong to say that. The part where it gets stupid is how hamfisted it is and how he uses the most loaded possible language.

But people acting like he went on some rant about how he hates minorities are being ridiculous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Marluxia posted:

Not everything he's trying to say is wrong, but he is 100% absolutely saying it for the wrong reasons. You don't gotta defend his honour.
how do you know that? hes never once expressed any really hateful opinions. you can accuse the dude of being a bit conspiracy minded but 'well 9/11 seems a bit iffy but i cant find any one answer that makes sense so whatever' is hardly the most deranged thing out there. like seriously ive gone through his blog, dudes motivations seem to be entirely 'its bad youtube can take content down unilaterally' (which, while there's a lot of stuff youtube has taken down that deserved it, its not wrong to say we shouldn't really trust a corporation with that power) and 'twitter's factchecking stuff is pretty terrible.' (which is objectively true)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

going off his blog he literally calls it COVID 1984, which, lol, but also he seems to think the disease is real and agree with most social measures in place against it. a lot of what he says on his blog is that he doesnt agree with a lot of what those antivax people are saying but also thinks them being able to unilaterally be blasted off the internet is bad. which is a much different conversation than what people are framing it as.

and the assertion that something being deleted off the internet means it cant be real data is pretty ludicrous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Whether or not this is true, making the big bad "Political Correctness" is the wrong way to address this, because that's 100% a dogwhistle for "I'm facing consequences for being a raging rear end in a top hat"
political correctness is definitely an extremely loaded term in English but dudes grasp of us politics and culture seems tenuous at best despite him knowing an okay amount of English.

again im not saying you cant criticize it for being hamhanded, stupid, or facebook dad levels of weirdness, or say the dude isnt a crank, all of thats true, just that im not seeing the masssive 'this is monstrous alt-right naziism' stuff that other people are, or seeing how its bad enough to completely ruin everything hes ever been involved in. its basically exactly what id expect the writer of lain to be like at 60.

Some Numbers posted:

By the same token, the assertion that something being deleted off the internet means it has to be true is equally, if not more ludicrous.
neither i nor konaka ever made that assertion. like i said, in his blog he says he disagrees with a lot of it. his stance is that even if something is deceitful or a lie, or contains abhorrent opinions, its bad for big tech companies to be the ones deciding what is and isnt that and what deserves to be deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

So who does get to make that call? Because the government doing it is against the 1st Amendment and the kind of government "overreach" that right wingers love to rail against.

But the company itself shouldn't be allowed to regulate its own stuff? Should we all get to say whatever we want with no consequences?
I mean, the government shouldn't be censoring speech, no. I also don't think google has our best interests at heart. In an ideal world I don't think this stuff should exist either but are you saying you trust google to decide what is and isnt appropriate for you to see? In an ideal world of course there'd also be multiple platforms with different standards but A) that would mean this content still exists so it wouldn't really solve your problem and B) the fact is youtube has an extreme monopoly on easily accessible video content.