Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dexie posted:

I was fine with the grinding in Dawn/Dusk, battles were usually over quickly and easily.

My problem with the game was how awful every single map was.

I wish that Digimon in these style of games had like, stat caps or something. Having everything just cap at 9999 makes everything feel so pointless, especially when you can poach good moves up and down evolutionary lines.

Like everything just devolves into a homogeneous mess. and it kinda sucks they keep doing it this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its still really weird that the alt form is going to be Ophanimon falldown mode though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Right now, no, but there's been some believable leaks that Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory will get a Switch port soon and that's the best Digimon game.

Its so fuckin weird they delisted the original Cyber Sleuth from all digital distribution since the plot in Hacker's Memory makes almost no sense without it (Hackers Memory is a sidestory that takes place juuuuust offscreen from the original game and frequently has the protagonist cross over with supporting cast and very nearly see the events of the first game)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mateo360 posted:

besides extra Digimon, what else was back ported? I really don;t see me double dipping since I beat both on PS4.

They made some mechanical changes like increasing the stat points you can get (which makes getting things like Lilithmon much easier)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The worst part of digimon is that as you get to the higher stage ones they tend to solidify more and more into 'human in armor/bdsm suit' as an aesthetic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ghost sex posted:

i have to wonder what the story is behind precisely this one feature of cyber sleuth being so aggressively incomprehensible

there's no way QA could have missed what looks like a boatload of unaltered machine translation output in a menu you're prompted to visit semi-regularly

It was done super cheap because historically Digimon games have sold poorly in the west so they put all the texts through machine translation and focused on the main text to triage it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

In the 5 or so hours i've played Cyber Sleuth it has done some cool and interesting things with your standard monster gathering RPG formula and it's quickly established itself as its own thing and not too chained to any series traditions, much to its benefit.

Also there was an early side quest that briefly discussed how it's messed up that the VR world within the game does not have non-binary options for avatar creation. So I think so far it is real good.

It has some wild and really good side content. The writing is definitely a strength, though the translation has some serious issues with just huge chunks of machine translation that make all the texts and minor sidequests incomprehensible sometimes

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I really hope we don't just hop right to mega showdowns for the bulk of the series. Mega designs are largely awful and tend to be just 'human in armor' and 'human in fetishwear' instead of the more varied and interesting forms you get in the Champion/Ultimate levels.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I wouldn't really worry about boring looking Ultimate level opponents, considering we just came off the animators going mad on grotesque Algomon Ultimate eyeball insanity. That should be the least of our worries. Only Patamon and Agumon have have humanoid Ultimate evolutions of the partner Digimon and the rest of them are varied and weird beasts, bugs, and phoenixes anyways...

Palmon too. :colbert:

The rest are pretty good tho. Lets hope that they actually get to exist instead of making it the WarGreymon/MetalGarurumon/Omnimon show.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Hell, Cyber Sleuth has 3 armor evos. 1 is a Champion equivalent, 1 is an Ultimate equivalent and 1 is a Mega equivalent.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Tangentially related to riding chat, here's a chart I found on Reddit of the sizes of the protagonists' Digimon from Adventure to Savers.

The most surprising things to me were Lilamon being bigger than Greymon and MegaGargomon being so enormous that the next tallest only comes up to his waist.

Huh,

MetalGreymon, GeoGreymon and MegaKabuterimon are all way the hell bigger than I had in my mental image of everything.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Mine is whichever Megakabuterimon counts as the recolor :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Okay, I just met Nokia, and I don't like to throw around theses kinds of phrases because they're extremely loaded, but Jesus Christ, she's dressed like a loving prostitute. A short dress with lacing up the sides to show a lot of skin, an extremely visible bra, thigh-highs with equally visible garters, and a jacket that doesn't actually cover any of it. I can't tell if it's a travesty or a power move.

Just wait until you meet your detective boss!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm just gonna pretend that Person of Interest is the canon sequel series to Digimon Tamers and call it a day. Who's with me?

never look into anything about Jim Caviezal if you want to enjoy Person of Interest

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

Literal personified political correctness appears and attacks them with cancel culture, but it's pretty underplayed as a threat and it kind of just leaves after. Like the basic stance seems to be that ti exists but is massively overblown and only really matters if you're terminally online, which feels like a pretty reasonable take to me.

I thought the joke with Yamaki ranting and everyone going 'what' was kind of funny, but I do agree the joke lost its point when it started getting more literal. And also, very much agreed on it being a completely bizarre thing to put together for the 20th anniversary and being a weird addition to the plot, no arguments there. I'm definitely not sitting here and saying it's perfect and uncriticizable.

I mean that doesn't read like the joke is on Yamaki, it reads like he's the sane man talking about what matters while everyone else is dumb for ignoring it especially if it then immediately pops up and uh proves him right by attacking. Which is a super, super common archetype in polemics.

I dunno, I'm not going to tar and feather him or anything especially as I'm hearing all of this second-hand but the way you're describing it doesn't feel that much better than what people were saying? I guess a lot depends on tone and more context though. After the attack do people still treat the whole thing like it was a joke and Yamaki was overreacting or do they treat it seriously?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So I'm a little confused about Survive. You have your partner Agumon that you can evolve/devolve into different lines and there are other humans running around in the story who have their own partner digimon that you'll team up with based on the story.

Then there are other digimon that have set evolution lines and can never devolve like the pre-order Guilmon who aren't tied to any of the human NPCs?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Its too bad Guilmon is stuck with Gallantmon, Megidramon is a much more interesting evo for him outside of Tamers where you have the biomerging to at least partially justify making him another dude in armor instead of a cool dinodragon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
If we weren't getting Guilmon as the pre-order bonus I would have been pulling for Growlmon->WarGrowlmon->Megidramon for the virus line despite being ridiculously unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Paildramon and Imperialdramon are just as much Stingmon’s evo

Paldramon maybe but Imperialdramon is basically just a Veemon evo in armor and every new form reinforces that until Paladin mode has like nothing left from the Stingmon half.