Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I started watching Digimon as a kid right at the time that DarkWarGreymon was created and was just wandering around being angsty. It was the strangest cartoon plotline I'd ever seen. Got me hooked on the series.

And then at the end of 02, when MaloMiyotismon horribly kills his two henchman who had been comic relief for a long time. Man, that was disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He stopped Cody's grandfather from dying though. So that was nice of him.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It could have been cool foreshadowing for later stuff. It felt like that season was marred by a lot of compromise.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I hope Tri actually takes a lot of cool ideas from the original Digimon and runs with them, instead of banking on nostalgia taking care of everything.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hahahaha that would be amazing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well, it's a press release. They want to get people hype.

We'll see when it actually airs what the quality is.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Methinks more hype would be built if they gave reasons to suggest why it would be good.

It'll be good because it'll be good.
Tautologymon.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Character designer is Atsuya Uki, a manga artist who also taught himself animation and created Cencoroll. I think he'll be a really good fit for Digimon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC119ND1FTE

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So if it's in theaters in November, then we can expect the blu ray/DVD release 6 months later or something, and then wait for the fansubbers, so maybe the first one will be online next year. Yay?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Back in college I got curious and watched all of Adventure 01 in Japanese cause it was on Netflix. So watching Tri in Japanese came across as totally natural. I also liked it a fair bit, though the change in style meant it didn't hit all the nostalgia buttons it probably could have.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I watched that Last Evolution movie. Not bad! There is a meta-inconsistency between the role of the movie as a nostalgia property and the theme of the movie and it's view of nostalgia. But it's the same problem that movies like Toy Story 3 has, where you need to give up your childhood, but wait, please don't, we have merch to sell!

I liked the cameos from the 02 cast. I didn't like Sora being sidelined, even if she did get a short film explaining why she's not a bigger part of this movie. Nothing is less exciting that seeing somebody stand in a dark room and say a few lines but otherwise have no bearing on the plot.

I also felt they could have been a bit more creative with the imagery in the dark void segments. Digimon and weird void places have a history, from the 01 and 02 finales, but this was not one of the more interesting weird voids.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I have thoughts. Thoughts about Digimon!

Watching the Last Evolution movie made me nostalgic so I went back to see some of the episodes in the original two series. I actually started watching Digimon during 02, in the midst of the BlackWarGreymon arc (I think the first episode I watched was when they're all in that giant house fighting the spider-lady slightly before she creates BWGM.) So 02 is actually more nostalgic to me than the original Adventure series. But since both of those were big ratings draws for Fox at the time, I quickly caught up on both series on weekdays, while watching 02 as it aired new episodes on weekends.

This time I avoided any English dubs and went for episodes of the original Japanese. It's watchable that way, without all the cheesy lines added for humor or to avoid any moments of silence in the localization. The first thing I noticed is how cheap the animation is. The evolutions are all recycled, sure, but more than that every major attack is also reuse animation, just recontextualized against different backgrounds. I work in TV animation which is still a hotbed of reuse animation, made easier now that we can just pull the animation out of a library. But there's also more ability to vary things up now, changing eye directions or head tilts to hide just how much is recycled. Digimon can't do any of that so everything is incredibly repetitive. I'm guessing this was more to do with scheduling than the money not being there. They had a product to sell so there was a rush to market for the animated series, and you can't churn out 52 half hours each season without cutting corners.

Early episodes in both seasons are also real boring slogs. They're necessary for introducing each new evolution, but don't have much rewatch value. The best episodes all come mid-season, where the formula of action happening in the digital world is broken by an intrusion into the real world. As a kid I can remember being fascinated with the episodes involving modern day Japan. It was as alien a place as the digital world, with the character struggling to figure out the hideously complex Tokyo subway system, and traveling from place to place with a degree of freedom a kid in the West would never be allowed. Add their magic monsters to the mix, and it becomes like a undercover superhero show, with the child protagonists the only one who can stand up against a threat the adults are powerless against. I think this is the main appeal of Digimon compared to a show like Pokemon; There are real stakes. And while the Pokemon world is full of adults who are more powerful than the children, but just never happen to be in the right place at the right time, Digimon places its juvenile protagonists as the only ones who can defeat the evil.

The ending of 02 seems to comment on that fact by making the main villain an embittered adult desperately seeking an entrance to the digital world. Oikawa is somewhat wasted potential what with being controlled by a season 1 throwback. It probably would have been more effective if he was a man who had been seduced by the Dark Ocean preying on his despair. Then the series could have contrasted him with the 02 children's run-ins with the Dark Ocean, showing how they resisted it while he was taken in because of his loneliness. Then you'd get the importance of friendship and camaraderie as the final theme. And, uh, maybe his despair could take the form of a monster so there'd still be an enemy to fight. Instead he's just a puppet, and not fully responsible for any of his deeds.

Generally I'd say the best episodes of my partial rewatch were episode 21 of season 1 (yay Hosoda) and episode and episode 38 of season 2 (the Christmas episode, that also does foreshadowing). Good character moments in both of those, which is really what redeems the series in between all the lackluster fight animation.

Oh, and the music in the Japanese version is good.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

wuggles posted:

Question, people keep talking up Cyber Sleuth. I’ve played a few chapters on PS4 and now on Switch, and it’s cool, but not great yet. When does it really get going?

I just finished Cyber Sleuth (well, almost, I have the extra challenge missions after the story is over to do) and I thought it was decent fun but not great. A section in the Digital World would have been nice, all the female designs are awful (especially the girl wearing the hoodie that's unzipped just where her breasts are and she's wearing a bathing suit top) and there were some real bad design decisions in the missions that meant running around to the same areas to talk to someone in order to launch the mission, running back to the office to accept the mission, then running back to where the original guy was to talk to him again so the mission can begin. Just total busywork.

It was still fun because the digimon designs are great the level designs are pretty cool (they waste some really colorful areas that only show up once though, and a lot of time is spent running around a less interesting repetitive blue area.)

I'm starting to play Hackers Memory which has lower stakes but maybe some design improvements over the original, and so far the female character designs are less horrendous.

It really reminded me of the game Devil Survivor 2, a SMT spinoff. Just look at the cover of the DS game to see how even the female character design philosophy is the same.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 3, 2020

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The bits of Digimon I best remember from my childhood are character moments, especially when they end up back in the real world and have to do things like navigate the Tokyo subway, or are in a car ride with strangers, or are celebrating Christmas or discussing the connection between digimon and old folktales.

As for the battles.... lol it was all recycled animation. I remembered action beats but there wasn't much spectacle to actually see. Just some nice music and character design.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A youtuber named Billiam made a second video about the Digimon movie yesterday that covers the original shorts and how they were manhandled into a feature film. All 3 of the short films have some fantastic character work in their original forms, especially the ones Hosoda directed. And they actually had the budget for animation that looks amazing, so it's really the best Digimon has or will ever be. It sorta justifies why I rented the VHS so much as a child despite how badly the english version butchered the source material.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alright Hollywood, live action Pokemon was a success. You know what to do.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyWakefiel/status/1341547394941509635

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I didn’t even know there were box sets of dubbed digimon. I figured that was lost media outside of files.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Even with Taichi hogging screen time we haven’t gotten much good characterization out of him. Nothing even close to episode 21 of the original series.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The subtitled version definitely exists, that’s how I rewatched Adventure about 10 years ago.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished Hackers Memory, so I've now played all of the Cyber Sleuth Complete. Though apparently there's a post-game in Hackers Memory, but i don't feel like running around training up digimon for a billion years.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

mmkay posted:

You can get a couple of PlatinumSukamons and stick some +XP items on them and watch those levels fly.

Yeah I ended up opening it again and the game told me I could trade my trained up team from Cyber Sleuth into Hackers Memory. So I was able to get my team that was able to beat Lucemon into Hackers Memory and took out the Abyss Server pretty easily. That was a really nice feature.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hawke posted:

Thanks thread for reminding me that I need to go back and finish cyber sleuth.

Is there any worthwhile post game content in the original or should I just tear through it and focus on my teams for hacker's memory?

Once you beat the story of Hackers Memory there's a difficult extra dungeon, so if you've beat the Cyber Sleuth post-game, you can trade between the two games. So if you've spent a bunch of time getting some really difficult digimon in CS, you can concentrate on getting different difficult ones in Hackers Memory, then create the ultimate team for the dungeon with the combination.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Am I missing out on anything super major by having one of these NX chibis in my main party? I know I'll have fewer babies getting trained at once, and I'm willing to bench it if it'd just be a Jagen, but gently caress, Omegamon NX is the perfect combination of cool and adorable.

Edit: Alternatively, is it just going to suck all the challenge right out of the game?

No, when I first got them I thought they'd be super useful, but they're pretty weak and they can't evolve or gain ABI so they're not much use.

In other news I thought I'd beat Hackers Memory but there's that stupid Offline Collesium challenge. I got as far as the police girl who just heals all her digimon in a giant loop while having so much speed that my guys have no turns to do damage. Guess I'm never gonna actually fully finish this game.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Status effects are your friend here. Poison does a lot of damage and turning your enemies into sprites/sleeping them/whatever makes the action economy a lot easier to deal with. Consider also using a dedicated member of your team use Speed Charge Field or Speed Break Field to help you keep up.

This is all good advice but I think instead I will just not finish the game and never play it again.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wow this Konaka thing really broke through, people are talking about it on my twitter feed in oblique ways. Was only able to figure out what they hell they were going on about from context in this thread.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Was thinking about this series/franchise again recently because of the 02 movie that's coming out in October. I wasn't the biggest fan of Last Evolution, it did that thing of making character suffer separation for mostly pointless reason (I get its trying to do a Toy Story 3 ending, but the digimon are living creatures and there's no reason that they have to be completely separated.

The 02 movie isn't going to rehash that same plot point though, or at least if it is I'll at least see it coming. So I'm tentatively looking forward to it. Also I got into Digimon with 02, starting to watch it right around when they had defeated the emperor and BlackWarGreymon was created. So I have some nostalgia for those characters.

Anyway, that said, what episodes are your favorite in Digimon? Do any aside from the Mamoru Hosoda episode hold up? I find the episodes in the real world most appealing, as when the protagonists are in a fantasy world it doesn't feel like they're at odds with society. They're basically the Narnia children, brought over to save the world. When they go back to Japan they're having to contend with the japanese transit system, or hitch rides to get around, and try to deploy their monsters in less flashy ways. It creates some fun constraints and stakes are more understandable in a world that is similar to ours.

I heard the remake of Adventure never really ventured back into the real world, and also never figured out how the balance the huge cast, which is a pity. I was reading the reviews on anime news network until they gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

...it's actually really good! The animation's excellent as expected after LE, but also the writing is genuinely very good, it hits all the right cues for an adult-oriented Digimon story while fleshing out the post-02 Adventure world where Digimon are commonplace even more. The 02 cast bounces effortlessly off each other and truly come across as an extremely tight-knit group of friends, the message it gives is heartwarming and a great criticism of how the franchise handles itself while also a celebration of it (unlike "you're too old gently caress off" from the last loving movie), and it opens a door to the most unique Digimon show or movie ever should they want to continue (which I find unlikely, but I'd kill for a Digimon movie or show where there are no Digivices and the focus isn't on fighting monsters at all). Lui's retcon isn't great, but Lui himself is an interesting and unique character for the franchise, in his personality, his backstory, and his very warped but ultimately extremely valuable relationship with Ukkomon. Also all the new remixes for the songs are used in just the right places and they're all excellent.

I just need this to come out for streaming or bluray so someone can make a video of all the evolution scenes because they're incredibly good. Unlike the Last Evolution ones, which were very stiff, the updated evolution scenes here make a point of being just as faithful to the originals as they must be, and instead go for new angles and far more dynamic posing, resulting in utterly beautiful stock footage (which gets used surprisingly repeatedly for such a short movie but never feels out of place).

After Tri and LE failed to update Digimon to an adult audience, with bad writing and terrible messages, The Beginning goes hard the opposite way with a mature view on how the franchise has been and should be, while also making it clear that it comes from a place of genuine love to the franchise. The 02 cast shine far more than the Adventure cast ever could (because they're allowed to be a cast instead of a more bland Taichi and Yamato + 6 unimportant others). Fair warning I guess, it has some really heavy topics that can be genuinely unpleasant to watch. Lui's backstory is heartbreaking.

I'd go into more detail but honestly just watch it. It has my recommendation, of a guy that hated everything Adventure-related and wanted it to end. Now I kind of want it to continue. What a change.

Hey glad to hear it. I also though Last Evolution was kind of a "gently caress you" movie to fans. I originally grew up on 02 though so I'm glad this cast gets a proper send off.