Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Both franchises do subscribe to the "more things" school of design. Sometimes those things are just guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I’m of the opinion that OG Lucemon has by far the worst design of any Digimon, so devil wings or no this is a huge improvement.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Granted I read up on this years ago, but I thought the in-universe and meta reason for the X-antibody was to cut some of the fat of Digimon like Gururumon. How then did Black Agumon make the cut?

Though speaking of Agumon, Savers Agumon should totally count as an a no Digimon design wise.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Whoops, that was supposed to say X-Digimon. He’s got a smoother design with Xs in it, and his Greymon form is pretty much Greymon X with some colors off. I thought Savers was okay but I really like Savers Agumon :shobon:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
From the looks of it, Black Agumon X has rabies.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It's a lil weird they went even further in the dog direction with Plotmon instead of tying into the "canon" Gatomon line.

Love pouty lil Kiimon.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Noblepumpkinmon is like a shining beacon of good Digimon design, and Hououmon X is like the shadow that light casts.

That being said I gotta defend my boy Rapidmon and his crotch sphere roid thighs combo to the grave.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
On one hand, if the 02 ending is canon then they’ll worm their way outta this one, but on the other saying definitively that it’s time to move on would be the perfect ending for adventure, and the 02 ending is still bad so why not wipe it out. Back on the other hand though, no Agumon pls don’t go :cry:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
No theme of growing up and having to move on will ever be able to stand against the tide of capitalism and cashing in on nostalgia.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's not happening. They're still setting up the 02 epilogue, the few images we have of Last Evolution include one of Yamato studying aerospace engineering which would be completely out of place if it wasn't setting up for his eventual career as an astronaut.

Admittedly it would be pretty funny if they retconned the epilogue but only to take out all the Digimon. Just Matt, on mars, alone.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Judging by the poster, Patamon won't even be showing up. I wonder how the Devimon climax would go without him.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Burkion posted:

I'm pretty sure the dub straight up says that Ryo is from the Tamers' universe, and was a rival of Rika's in the card games before he hosed off to the Digital World.

They also pointedly don't explain the nonsense with his Digimon as being 'because he was reborn from a dumb video game boss' and just 'he's really strong and always looking for a fight'

Both of these did happen, I didn’t understand at all what his deal was supposed to be as a kid but looking back I do appreciate it leading me down a rabbit hole of Digimon content when I looked it up.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I peeked into the Yu-Gi-Oh thread a while ago and they mentioned how the author went hard anti-capitalist and turned Kaiba into the immoral billionaire sociopath he was always meant to be. I really want that to do true.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 21, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Leraika posted:

Wait, the yugioh guy is anti-capitalist AND an immoral billionaire?

Whoops, meant to throw a Kaiba in there.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Is Cyber Sleuth the new game that’s a lot like Digimon World but good? I just realized it’s available on the switch and could use a time sink.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Well it may literally not be the game I thought it was you all did convince me to give a buy!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I’ve always been more of a Gururumon man, myself.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

SpazmasterX posted:

The big ugly bug mons are where it's at.

As a kid with poor eyesight and worse focus I could never tell if these goofy motherfuckers were coming or going. Multiple arms and wings all overlapping and all the same color. Aggressively kid unfriendly.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Burkion posted:

I am shocked The Toy Agumon line isn't a real thing.

You'd think it'd be the most nonbrainer Digivolution line ever, but no

There's always ShadowToyAgumon and ClearAgumon?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I like that the D2 came with a blackberry that didn’t seem to have any use?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Sora being so committed to not fighting that she won’t even join in when her friends are being pummeled by her mind controlled other friends is one of the worst character decisions I think I’ve ever read.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The spoilers surely must be omitting tons of character moments, cause it sounds like none of the other adult digidestined even acknowledge that their Digimon will have to leave. Jo doesn’t sound like he’s in the movie past the intro?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Blockhouse posted:

If you're asking "surely they couldn't make a movie that focuses entirely on Taichi and Yamato to the exclusion of every other character could they?" I think you need to look deep inside yourself and find you already know the answer to that

Where is Gomamon.

WHERE IS GOMAMON.

Craptacular! posted:

I haven 't paid too much attention to this movie too closely, because I have a very bad tendency to spoil myself on everything. But it seems like this movie has something of a "put down the ducky" message that people feel is an indirect "this franchise isn't for you older folks anymore, go on and leave it alone already" complete with the suggestion of how honorable it is to take on the corporate drudgery of adult Japanese society.

I want to not believe it, though. I want to believe the studio that makes Dragon Ball didn't look at that and go, "hm, yeah, seems good."

I can see some merit in the message of “You can’t keep doing the same thing forever, and as you grow and change so will your interests and maybe even your friends”. Using anti-nostalgia themes in a nostalgia driven series would be super interesting and I think would’ve made for a great Digimon movie.

These spoilers make it sound like a terrible retread of a bunch of Digimon things specifically for nostalgia’s sake. Maybe the viewer’s bias has tinted the way their relaying these plot points, but I’d be surprised if the guys who did Tri are suddenly good at story.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Craptacular! posted:

It just seems incredibly tone-deaf for the company that has been producing Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon in perpetuity (and, in it's sister company, Super Sentai and Kamen Rider) to do that.

Like pre-expansionist Disney, e.g. the "Uncle Walt" portion of the company, Toei's core product is nostalgia. Obviously they produce other things too, just as not every Disney movie is a Snow White retread; but doing an "end of an age" story with a reboot straight on it's heels is very weird unless they're planning on making big changes they think people won't be happy with to the reboot.

This is true, but in the middle of this capitalism tailspin where most of our media comes from a handful of corporations, I'm willing to take an anti-nostalgia message in a vacuum. With the spoilers and the reboot announcement, it sounds like a growing up theme was never intended. It doesn't sound like, there's any theme at all. Growing up is just an obstacle to the fun Digimon Adventure that'll have no effect on future Digimon Adventures.

I keep thinking "Well a choppy synopsis can't really do justice to the execution" but the dialogue would have to be doing a lotta heavy lifting.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Craptacular! posted:

Problem is, in this context, growing up means “putting away your favorite things to make yourself a better worker.” This isn’t an anti-capitalist message, they’re looking at quitting their fun adventures to become office people.

Yeah, when we had no info on how things would shake out I assumed they wouldn’t literally take the “Digimon are for children” route, and real adults get real jobs and have kids. The Digimon physically change and get better as their partners grow emotionally, but now the Digimon are a sign of immaturity and they have to go for you to grow up.

It’d would’ve been a pretty easy spin to the other message though, Omnimon the ultimate fusion of Digimon and nostalgia, is filleted. So in order to win against the villain who has the same motivation, Tai and Matt pull off a whole new digivolution. Day is saved, clocked is stopped, Agumon and Gabumon get slightly redesigned for symbolism and to sell new toys without making new molds. that wouldn’t make up for all the other bad parts but it would’ve been something.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Not a fan of Greymon's lips.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It feels like they're always chasing that first high of Omnimon, leading to increasingly humanlike designs. The reality is sometimes you just want a wolf with more guns than god.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
These combined with the final trailer that slopped out a few days ago pretty much confirms that there’s no hope for this. Just seven bad movies in a row, no big deal. That Digimon Renaissance is right around the corner.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

lezard_valeth posted:

The reboot one was kinda ok. At least it hit the emotional notes. The problem was that the next movie backpedaled it super fast, which was a general problem the tri movies had, they'd introduce a cool idea, start developing it oh poo poo look at the time we only have 2 more OVAs and 5 new toys to promote digimon to introduce abort, abort!

For me the Tri movies are so much build up to later events that once we got to the big wet fart at the end it kinda retroactively ruined the earlier movies for me. The first one was exciting with all the dominos it set up and just seeing these characters again, but knowing there's no payoff for any of it what's the point?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
They even blew the names? What the gently caress??? I would believe any terrible thing you told me about this movie. Tai probably looks directly at the audience and says “Digimon is for idiots, I prefer Pokémon.”

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I'll cop to not being super plugged in to the Digicommunity, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone asking for more Adventure. Hyped for Tri at first but that faded pretty quick.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Hahahaha holy poo poo that's terrible. What's wrong with his arms!?

And if there's one thing you can count on a corporation for it's wildly misunderstanding what it is their fans want. All they know is they want to capitalize on the nostalgia market but don't seem to know the first thing about what old fans want. Except, like...Omnimon variants.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I like how all the Kenji art subtly downplays Greyman's disgusting, bulbous forearms as much as it can. As long as you focus on the gauntlets your brain can fill in normal arms right behind them. Then the official art puts his gross Popeye limbs on full display, mocking me.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I'd take Magnagarurumon's goofy dog head over either of these ugly fucks. At least he's got a name.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The colors are also bad. Why're they just the exact same color from head to toe, it makes Greyman look naked and Garuruman blobs together something fierce.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Cyber Sleuth was on sale and it's as fun as people were saying. My only problems are that I can't go back to any of the tutorial information and reread all the mechanics and that everyone talks way too much, all the time, about things that don't matter. I appreciate flavor in my video games but not all these characters need my number. Who is Jimiken? Stop talking to me about Jimiken.

I recently met Jimiken and can't beat Jimiken.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Imperialdramon Paladin Mode was the one to take out Armagemon in that 02 movie, so Zexmon's like the reverse.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I’m really torn on this cause it all looks and sounds really fun interesting, but the burns from the last Digimon Adventure thing that looked cool and interesting are still hot. If there’s someone with experience making not bad things on staff then there’s hope?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I'm on chapter 6 of Cyber Sleuth and I was surprised how easily the game was letting me get to ultimate with tons of Digimon, but then I learned about ABI and megas :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, that's the game's way of limiting how fast you power up. You can get experience at absurd speed if you barely know what you're doing, but you're going to hit that particular limit sooner or later. That said, devolving is actually a pretty painless thing and your Digimon will be that much stronger once they evolve again, plus again, experience is extremely easy to obtain if you know what you're doing, you don't really need to go out of your way in the main game for it.

This is good to know, since I panicked and de-digivolved all my Digimon to rookie to raise their ABI, plus it doesn't seem like I'm as close to the end game as I thought so it'll be nice to play around with champions some more.