Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Tri is very good. Specially liked that the tone wasn't too childish but at the same time didn't try to be dark and edgy. Everyone got a moment to shine as well, the first teasers looked a bit too focused on Tai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

So now we have a Paildramon and a Paledramon.

Yeah, it's boring when they design a new Digimon line and just make... a Pokemon line. It's okay to keep a common theme but they really need to spice them up a bit.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So it was confirmed that in Survive, your choices can get some of your buddies killed.

DIGIMON!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The same thing happened to me, I ended up liking Hacker's Memory a lot more between the QoL improvements and the more likeable characters.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

"But he's got a new sword!"

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I went and searched for "Impmon" in DeviantArt because I'm sure someone has already made a fanart that looks like the X version, stopped looking when I reached the 10th picture of Impmon suffering tickle torture.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I dunno, I enjoyed HM's story more, and from my point of view the game relying on Cyber Sleuth for the plot is a good thing because it frees HM to do a character driven story which I usually enjoy more. The fact that Hacker Memory's MC is an actual character instead of a blank avatar for the player like Cyber Sleuth's also helps.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I'd say two full farms + your party is the sweet spot by the end of the game. As they said, any Digimon can turn into anything with creative digivolution/dedigivolution paths; too few digimon means you won't have the freedom to reconfigure your party without massive grinding but too many means your digimon will have less CAM/ABI/Techs on average.

Why do Bank Expansion Drives exist, though? Why would you keep a huge number of digimon there?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

TheHan posted:

my favorite recurring fuckup is that Arata keeps referring to a Bakemon, which was super confusing until I realized he’s probably calling the Eaters bakemono (monster) and they just mindlessly plugged a Digimon in.

That isn't entirely the fault of the translation, you can hear the japanese voice actor saying "bakemon" in those lines too. I believe the writer felt smart mixing the words "bakemono" and "digimon" to make the characters refer to those things and forgot/didn't know there was an actual digimon with that same name.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Burkion posted:

This is why Gabumon just wears a Garurumon pelt all the time

Saves Matt some work

I'm pretty sure at some point it was supposed to be some poor Penguinmon's.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I guess the logic is that you can always trust regular Omnimon to pull a brand new form out of its rear end whenever the situation requires it.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I switched to Hard on my first playthrough because Normal was being just boring (and you get more money and item drops if you're on Hard so that's an extra), but it's true it's not balanced at all, specially bosses' ridiculous HP. The strategy almost always ends up being having a strong Digimon with a special attack that ignores defense and the others supporting it. Normal is okay to just run a team of your favorites without worrying about optimization though.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The Bee posted:

Which I'm glad for because nuts to alignment and birth being tied together.

:actually: It doesn't work like that, does it? Baby digimon are free type and usually every one of them has evolution options for every alignment.

Although I get you really meant "alignment and species".

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Burkion posted:

So, I just got Digimon Cyber Sleuth Complete for the Switch

I know there's some way to bust the farming and XP grind- what was it again?

Quickest way is getting a PlatinumSukamon, you can easily get one raising a Hagurumon to level 20 (you can't do this with the starter one since it caps at level 15, the cap rises as you digivolve/dedigivolve them), if he's in the main lineup when a battle finishes you get double EXP.

PlatinumNumemon has the same ability but that's a Mega so it'll take more time to get one.

As Kortel said, Digimon in the Digifarms will automatically gain EXP as long as the game clock is running so you can exploit sleep mode for this. If you want to use the 1000z Development option in the farm to try to get Tactician USBs, the accesories that also double the EXP (and stack!), you'll probably need a Digimon with a Builder personality as the leader of the farm and as many Developement Know-Hows as they can fit in it, but this can be expensive so I recommend waiting a handful of game chapters for this.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

wuggles posted:

Question, people keep talking up Cyber Sleuth. I’ve played a few chapters on PS4 and now on Switch, and it’s cool, but not great yet. When does it really get going?

poo poo gets real in chapter 11. Although personally what I enjoyed the most were the sidequests solving cases with Digimon causing mischief.

Still, I feel many people overhype Cyber Sleuth a bit (specially when making comparisons with the new Pokemon games) and I know a couple of people that ended up disappointed with the games because of it. They're good games, but they're closer to cheaper portable console's jRPGs than big console titles to put it nicely.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Geostomp posted:

That’s because they are. They’re basically Vita game ports. I will also admit that the fanservice in the female characters is very overdone. Apparently, only women in the police force can have shirts that aren’t vacuum-sealed.

The most frustrating thing about this is how literally unnecessary it is, you'd expect a character like that to be the designated "Ms.Fanservice", but there's nothing of the sort and no character ever reacts or mentions she's a walking wardrobe malfunction, at most a couple of guys say she's pretty and that's that.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Cyber Sleuth is more progressive than like 90% of video games just because of the early game side quest that discusses how it’s pretty hosed up that this virtual world doesn't have non-binary options for avatar creation. Though yeah, the character designer for the game does kinda suck imo.

That was cool, and it was a nice touch they bothered to have them use a male avatar with a female voice just for one battle quip, although it's also one of many examples that shows there were many writers on board and not enough communication. It's a plot point that there is no "avatar creation" at all and the cyber world forces you to use your real world appearance in it and the only way to alter it is using hacking tools.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

E: Cyber Sleuth also probably has the strongest female cast out of any Digimon property. Designs aside I think the game treats its characters pretty well and Nokia and Kyoko are definitely among the best characters in the series.

Agreed, I also add the character designs to the "lack of communication" problem. It was funny choosing the female MC and seeing Arata there with the rest of the cast like an opposite version of the "token girl" character in superhero groups.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

That was a good episode.

Next week: Neo Devimon!

Could we start distinguishing spoilers from the episode itself and from the preview of the next one? I really didn't want to know this :(

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Fun fact about that, when HM first released someone photoshopped the Devil Survivor 2 MC into a promotional pic replacing Arata to joke about how similar they looked like, Google Image Search picked up that image and now several videogame review sites still use it for the game.

https://www.gameskinny.com/vh5r4/how-digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-was-a-franchise-turning-point

https://wccftech.com/review/digimon-story-hackers-memory/

https://ulvespill.net/?p=3284

https://www.hobbyconsolas.com/reviews/analisis-digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-hackers-memory-185958

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

That beetle is like :shrug:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Burkion posted:

This episode was great

:emptyquote:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

What I like is that nobody ever mentions or even seems to mind her appearance. That’s just how detectives dress

Yeah, I also found that very noticeable, usually characters like Nokia or Kyoko would get characters going "ooba ooba" around them but nobody cares. Although I'd bet the real reason is that the writing and the character design was done separately.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Finally, a real conflict and a villain we can empathize with.

That potato shield was 100% a Mega Man weapon.

This episode was as good as the Mimi one and the new ending is cute.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

This episode felt very "Ghibli".

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Alt art Impmon is good. The alternate arts have been a big step up recently

Ok, ok, I'll be one to say it.

PImpmon.

Episode was wild, that crazy scale reminded me of Gurren Lagann. This was the first time I watched the preview because I thought the series was going to end for good but apparently there's still much more.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Episode 54: hey remember when Adventure 20 was really great week to week and had a lot of promise and potential? Man it's been a while. Still, this episode was a really on point callback to those halcyon days and not just because of who showed up. Really strong action and a story that, while simple, was still paced really well and told quite effectively.

This episode's opening didn't have the added SFX and used the old MetalGreymon's digievolution sequence that shows Machinedramon's silhouette. Since the only mention of the main plot is Tai's following the direction his digivice is pointing to I think this IS a repurposed old episode they couldn't slot in for whatever reason.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

:lmao: This is much worse than when Uderzo used an Asterix album to do an old man rant about how manga had invaded the western comic market.

At first it's just Yamaki spewing that chud crap, with the others not really buying it, which could be read as making fun of the character or Konaka slipping his awful opinions as best as he can, but then it turns out he was absolutely right and the enemy is the materialization of internet's "political correctness".

Although I admit now I want to see someone doing fanart of the Political Correctness activated Cancel Culture! scene.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

:lmao: what was up with that scene with Angoramon using a forklift to charge into the tent? With rubble falling from the "ceiling" as well. Feels like originally they were going to be inside a building and then rewrote it forgetting this part wouldn't make sense afterwards.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/PabloMelk/status/1528381676715446274

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

Survive uses the Japanese names for a lot of mons, is that normal for games or is this new? Might be related to the fact there’s no English dub

Next 0rder used Omegamon instead of Omnimon but still kept most of the western names, can't remember any more examples.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Vandar posted:

I know the game is grindy and I’m okay with that but both my ‘mons died while training up to face Machinedramon and am I really going to have to sit here grinding from egg to Mega in the training facility to be able to face him again or is there a faster or easier way I’m missing?

IIRC fighting a mon that's higher level than yours raise all their stats by the same amount the gym training raises 1 or 2 of them, it also doesn't consume 1 hour of ingame time and raises the battle count for your Digimon that's usually a requirement for stronger digivolutions so that's the more efficient way of training. The problem is finding a Digimon opponent that is alone (so it's easier and quicker to fight) and just the appropiate level so it raises all your stats without being a difficult fight, I remember using one of the Piddomon in the volcano for this for example, other thing to keep in mind is that it's harder to remove tiredness (you got your camping tent already?) and finding a WC while you're in the wild, of course.

I don't think you need Mega level Digimon for that Machinedramon, even if the battle seems pretty hard. Make sure you unlock the skill to defend with your Digimon and the one that nulls all damage while defending and make good use of it with the Digimon Machinedramon focuses on while the other one builds up damage.

Petiso fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 11, 2022

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Digimon World -next 0rder- is also coming to Switch.

https://twitter.com/gamenohanashi/status/1582311964067307520

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The Golux posted:

Yeah, here's the comparison image with differences highlighted:

It's not a lot and not very visible from front angles but it'd be something!

I don't think I ever noticed this, that was very interesting.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

They look like asian talismans/seals to me

He’s back! Now, you might be saying to yourself “at least I don’t have to see his weird bulge from this angle” but au contraire, mon frère! Look a little to the right of the letter A in SAMPLE

I forgot he had a protruding bellybutton and interpreted it... differently.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

:lmao: that they showed a teenage boy sleeping with a Digimon with boobs like it's nothing, reminded me of this:

Also, man, I understand Hiro is the less active and most reactive of the main characters in a Digimon series because of the series' structure, but it really feels like he straight up doesn't give a gently caress about anything until poo poo hits the fan.

Riku: Ah, Amanokawa, you seem to be the most knowledgeable about this, my hologram creature changed and says it's a digievolution, what's up with that?
Hiro: I dunno lol

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Basically this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

:fuckoff: