Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh boy, a Digimon thread!!! :neckbeard:

Digimon was the first anime I really liked back on middle school. Just a lot of good memories from the series. Digimon World was a fantastic time sinker, Rumble was pretty good for a licensed fighter and Digital Card Battle was the tits (hell, my email adress is lifted from that game).

TFRazorsaw posted:

also, each week, the Digimon Reference Book updates with a new profile. I'll post the translations people do here for those who are interested. Here's the last three (keep in mind there's a margin of error):

SaviorHackmon and Boogiemon's profiles translations are credit to Wildermon of the With the Will forums. Jesmon comes from Wikimon.

Holy Hell, we have a new Royal Knight? :stare:

The different factions and lore is one of the main reasons I like Digimon better.

Anyways, why's the hate towards 02? I really liked and is sort of a tradition to me rewatching it once a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rodyle posted:

Because the second half of 02 isn't very good. Ken should have become an Eggmanesque rival who helps beat other bad guys because only he can conquer the world.

How is that better? :psyduck:

Having him as ally makes for a better narrative in my opinion. And frankly, outside of Magnamon I never found the Digimon Emperor arc that interesting, I prefer the Yukio Oikawa/World Tour Arc.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Momomo posted:

I wasn't really interested in Digimon past season 2, so hearing they're making a sequel to it has me a bit interested. I don't really know very much about how the series really is these days, how are the other seasons?

Most people claims that the third season (Tamers) is the best of the bunch, I didn't think it was that good. Frontier was really loving weird (the kids turn into Digimons) and one of the lowest points of the franchise. Savers was really loving good, Xros Wars was quite the leap but still entertaining while it's sequel Young Hunters is utter poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyone has read V-tamer? By far my favorite story on the whole franchise, Taichi is such a great tamer and Zero is on of the best digimon parters.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

This is AMAZING!! Thank you for the write up!

I say it again, all the lore Digimon has built around the characters is by far the most interesting aspect of the franchise for me. It is a shame that we never got the Digimon X-Evolution movie (not officially at least), is so awesome to see the Royal Knights kicking rear end.

Anyways, the fantastic thing is that the lore keeps getting bigger ( I remember seeing a Buda-like digimon for example) and I can't wait to see what Tri brings to the table.

Speaking of the Demon Lords, I seem to remember they had a pretty interesting story on the Savers game isn't it?

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't but I could maybe make one? When I'm not just editing something I already wrote and my internet is cooperating I mean

Oh yes, I'd love to see that flowchart.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kurui Reiten posted:

Can someone explain the hate for Young Hunters? I think I've only seen one half of an episode of Xros Wars in general, much less Young Hunters, and I don't really know where the hate comes from.

In my case is more because it teased an AWESOME team up between all the past leaders around episode 13 that it was forgotten by nearly all the series just to pop up on the last two chapters as glorified fanservice (no interaction between the leads and just show to do something cool and vanish into the background again)

Having most of the episodes feel like filler and the worst lead on the whole franchise didn't help either.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I just read that flowchart and it leave me cross-eyed. I was familiar with most of the concepts but seeing how they actually work together is kind of overwhelming. Enough material in there to do like ten series focused only on the Digimon.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 2, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

As someone who has never watched the US dub and everything he's read about it makes him sick, I have to wonder why people defend it so much. I have to defend my own Latin American dub though, directly from the Japanese version and masterfully dubbed, though with a bit of confusion over which names to use (they always stuck to the same, but it was a weird mix of original and dub names). Apparently Savers was dubbed from the US version, but by that time I was already watching subs anyways.

Sup Latin American dub buddy :hfive:

Endorph posted:

on the other hand HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGMON

CHAMPIONS OF THE DIGITAL WORLD

HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGIMON

MONSTER FRIENDS TO THE BOYS AND GIRLS

The latin american spanish version of Butterfly is better :colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

:hfive:

If anyone hasn't listened to them, the Latin American songs are really, really good. Here, I'll link you to them, it was really nice to hear them back again myself too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=565i1ZMak4A

Oh man, such a great trip down the memory lane :allears:

Nothing will ever top hearing loving Rick Hunter or Seiya as Impmon :v:

I really hope Tri gets a dub equally fantastic eventually.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

KoB posted:

They also seemed to treat Angemon as way more powerful than the other champions.

On the "lore" set by the games is stablished that the Angemon line is stronger naturally. So Angemon has strenght comparable to an Ultimate while MagnaAngemon is comparable to a Mega.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's because Digital Card Battle was based on the Adventure and 02 anime, and every Partner card was a 02 Partner (all of whom had two Armor Evolutions, adding some nice monsters that didn't get to shine in the series, Shadramon for instance). However, card fusion was also a thing, and you can't fuse Partner cards and they had to have the anime Jogress evolutions, so there's a 02 Tailmon card (the Partner card, Child level) and an Adult Tailmon card (referred to as R-Tailmon in-game, and has a special Jogress animation with Aquilamon for the Silphymon card)

To add to this, every 02 partner has a special arena for them and their evolutions, named Extra Arena, plus some appear in the normal arenas of their cities as well. Tailmon has both her Child and Adult forms as different encounters, shown by having different mugshots (in one, her tail can be seen and she clearly doesn't have the Holy Ring).

That game was loving awesome.

I never managed to get BlackWarGreymon to show up or the Miracles Digi egg, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Agumon has gone full chibi I see.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Omnicrom posted:

I'd say it's pretty likely Agumon and Gabumon will keep their entire line, if they're going to change anything really.

They could get these evolutions though

ZeedGarurumon and VictoryGreymon

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
They just revealed that the Royal Knights will have a role on Cyber Sleuth

quote:

Story

The strange situation in the real world has an adverse effect on the Digital World. When the world’s crisis reaches its climax, the Royal Knights travel from the Digital World to the real world and make the real world their new stage for battle.

Royal Knights

The Royal Knights are a group of top-tier Holy Knight Digimon brought together by Yggdrasil, the host computer that oversees the entirety of the Digital World for the express purpose of network security. Though they’re prophesied to come together in times of great calamity, the Royal Knights themselves aren’t necessarily purely good beings in the strictest sense. One, for instance, swears absolute loyalty to Yggdrasil, while another pays heed to someone they’ve deemed their master, while still another possesses incomparable power, and so on. Each of the Knights lives by their own code of justice as they go about their own work. Indeed, so vigilante are their operations at times that they’re known to commit great atrocities if they deem such actions to ultimately be for the greater peace and order of the Digital World. Knowing that, including those who belong in the “Empty Seats,” Knights whose power is used as deterrence, there are 13 Knights in all.

Starting with the Omnimon, who awakens in response to Nokia’s Digimon, as well as Crusadermon, who stands in opposition to the protagonist, the Royal Knights start to appear one by one in the real world…. Let’s meet some of them below.

Gallantmon

Gallantmon’s existence is a contradictory as a Virus attribute Digimon that’s nonetheless tasked with guarding the network. So precarious is the balance of power within him that he could very well be a supremely dangerous being if things ever went awry. Regardless, deep down he’s an honorable type and while he had previous operated on his own in an attempt to restore order within the world, he ends up working with Nokia and Omnimon, their cause resonating with him. Nevertheless, his trust in humans isn’t quite so absolute as Omnimon’s, as he’s all too willing to wipe out anything that holds views that are contradictory to his own.

Magnamon

Magnamon is an Armor Digimon who Digivolved thanks to the power of a miraculous Digi-Egg, which is believed to afford him the ability to come out on top of most any situation in one piece, no matter how dire things might get. His armor is made of Chrome Digizoid, making his defenses extremely tough. Uncertain as to whether he should leave the real world alone or destroy it to halt its negative influence upon the Digital World, he keeps on eye on the protagonist, Nokia, and the others from afar to better grasp what humans are all about.

UlforceVeedramon

Among his fellow knights, UlforceVeedramon is among the speediest of an already thoroughly fast bunch, his movements unable to be matched by most anything else. Even more astoundingly, his armor is made of the ultralight rare metal Blue Digizoid, making him a serious force to be reckoned with both on the skies and on the ground. The protagonist seeks him out in the hopes that the two can work together, but it seems that UlforceVeedramon has problems of his own to contend with….

Gankoomon

Accompanied by Huckmon, who he’s chosen as his future successor, Gankoomon travels around the Digital World in search of any signs of potential trouble, undoing it before it can hopefully take root. Though he’s strict with his Huckmon, it’s for the sake of ensuring Huckmon develops properly for his pending role, as Gankoomon ultimately has a nice disposition. After seeing the real world for himself, he becomes even more obsessed with Huckmon’s training, ultimately entrusting him to the protagonist once progress has started to taper off.

Jesmon

Jesmon is the quickest among the Royal Knights to head for problem spots when he senses trouble brewing, able to sense when something bad might be coming most anywhere in the Digital World. He’s constantly following after Gankoomon and faces down any orders that befall him with the utmost composure. Possessing a solid service record in his own right, he strives to be on the level of Gankoomon as a Royal Knight one day, having begun to awaken to the potential within himself.

http://gematsu.com/2015/01/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-details-screenshots-real-world-royal-knights-coliseum#k0GR5fKyTKEhxVrp.99

That sounds so awesome

We're never getting that game aren't we? :negative:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Some new info about Tri

-Tri is a reference to the number 3 but it also has many meanings aside from it being the 3rd entry in the series.

-The series will be aimed more towards adults.

-The Original 8 are the main characters of Tri(sorry 02 fans).

-They wanted something that was a reunion of those 8 kids and their Digimon partners.

-The new season will be handled by a production team known for their quality work behind them. So that they can achieve strong production, memorable storylines and character development, and quality battle scenes.

-Will these 8 kids join forces again? How are they now that they’ve grown up? A clue to this season resides in the final monologue from the 02 epilogue.

-What will the kids do as they confront the different conflicts so that a union between Digimon and Humans is plausible?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ConanThe3rd posted:

Don't give Toei ideas, we've been through the Royal Knight Rigamrole twice already.

You can't never had enough Royal Knights :colbert:

Plus, it would be very interesting if Tai&Mat Omnimon and Davis Magnamon were Royal Knights. The sudden clash of ideologies would made for a very interesting story.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Aw man, Cyber Sleuth is becoming a huge love letter to all the Digimon videogames.

The heroine of Digimon World Dawn/Dusk will be on the game (along the Digitize girls) Her digimon partner is unsurprisingly, Dianamon

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh Yggdrasil, I actually did forget that. I really liked Ivan (and Savers in general, that series is so good), I'm honestly surprised I forgot.

(what I'm trying to say is read the loving Xros Wars manga because it is great)

But does it hold a candle to V-tamer?

It seems the smartphone card game is coming to the west this spring.

http://bokutachinodigitalworld.blogspot.it/2015/02/digimon-crusader-coming-to-west-this.html

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Their partners were also treated as somewhat of a special case that didn't followed the normal rules of evolution. Plus, they were depowered on the interim between Adventure and 02 to "fix" the digiworld.

Is gonna be very interesting if the kids from the world tour arc show up since I remember a few of them having adult/champion digimon as partners.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

AlternateNu posted:

Except they jogressed into Paildramon?

ExVeemon and Stingmon are the only pair (that I know of at least) that have two possible jogress fusions according at who served as the base for the jogress.

Surprised at the compliants about the original digidestined losing their powers. At least on the latinamerican dub they made clear that they had to give their powers to fix the digiworld, not the crests.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

Did it? I remember it saying that they were giving up their Crests, although I haven't watched the Latin American dub in ages, so you might be right. In any case, it's still a plothole, the powers were their feelings. Giving up that would make them empty shells, which they very clearly aren't.

Yes and no. You have to remember that the partner digimon were also "probe digmon" made by Genai's buddies and not regular digimon (they were also designed to work in tandem with the crests) so I don't find that of a stretch the idea of they giving up some of their power to fix the digiworld.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Can I ask, why the Hell did they tie Ken's back story to such ludicrously tenuously 'canon' things that weren't even available everywhere?

Ryo existing in the Adventure time line, circa season 1, takes some gymnastics pirouettes off of a loving stump to make any kind of sense what so ever to begin with.

Like what was the sense in this? Mind I'm PRETTY sure when Season 2 started, they didn't even know how season 1 ended and didn't care, considering how disconnected the two series feels and the fact that they imply Gatomon could Digivolve into Angewomon if it wasn't for the spires/her tail ring (which never mattered in season 1) before revealing OH YEAH THEY LOST THEIR CRESTS.

And of course Ken could make Agumon digivolve without a crest because of reasons but whatever.

Was Ryo that much of a big deal to understand 02?

I didn't knew of him existing until years later and never had an issue understanding Ken's backstory.

And Ken evolved Agumon into a different version of Metal Greymon was more of a throwback/fanservice to the original Digimon toys.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Montegoraon posted:

Well, yes and no. The key point was that Ryo's mortal foe, Millenniumon, was the origin of the dark spore that made Ken a super genius and also turned him evil (as well as presumably manipulating his memory). The implication being that driving Ken to create Chimeramon, a precursor to Millenniumon, was the spore trying to recreate his old body. Which would have been an instant game over.

Millenniumon is one of my favorite digimon villains, because he's just so audaciously outrageous. He's the one who released Apocalymon from behind the fire wall, resulting in the events of season one. Then, as a follow-up act, he caused most of the events of season two, with nothing more than fragments of himself that he cast off as he was "dying." Malomyotismon was just cribbing off of the power left over by his corpse, except he wasn't even dead. He's seemingly unkillable, far beyond the norms for digital life.

But that is the point, you didn't even see Millieniunmon clearly on the shot. You just see a big thing blowing up and Ken being hit by the spores. For the average american kid seeing the show the whole thing was pretty clear and straight forward.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc4Res4zkJk&t=306s

Longer Cyber Sleuth's trailer showcasing the different aspects of the game.

From the little I can gather, the battle system is pretty similar (if not identical) to the one found on Dawn/Dusk.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So am I insane or the dude shown on the preview looks like a jogress between Alphamon and Omegamon?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That looks freaking amazing :swoon:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Crossposting from the Vita thread

IAD posted:

The game is really good man, just got done playing it for 7 hours straight.

It manages to capture all the addictive elements of Pokemon with a nice dash of SMT thrown in while still being it's own thing.

And we got the piece of poo poo that is Digimon All Star Rumble:negative:

I think I might import the game.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The digimons look loving AWESOME but the kids themselves look kind of uninspired and generic.

Still, count me the gently caress in. Sucks that it will air until November though, they should've put it on august.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seeing all the back and forth going about the US Dub. I can't help but be happy that I grew with the glorious latin american dub.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzpQAE2Tn5o

:sigh:

This is never coming, isn't it?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Guys, the fan patch for Digimon World RE: Digitize has been finished at last. I'd share link but I think it would be :filez:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Digimon game announced!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I almost want to buy a Vita, except this will never get localized and there's no reason to dream :smith:

If you double dip on Cyber Sleuth, it wont be a dream

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Stolen from the Vita thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtn9i3S6Mkk

Could it be? Analogman's returns?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

mateo360 posted:

So I got my 15th Anniversary Digivice today

There was also an ad with it I think some people might be interested in

That is freaking awesome, how much did it cost you?

And hey, they still remember Digimon 02.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Say, any of you guys ever wanted a Figuarts Omnimon?

Well, it's your lucky day!

"Tamaashi Nations posted:

Tamashii Nations introduces and all new sculpt and paint of Omegamon (Omnimon) as he appears in Digimon Adventure: Our War Game! Fans will remember the final battle scene with Tai and Matt atop Omegamon’s shoulders. This version comes with clear Tai and Matt pieces to faithfully recreate this scene! Omegamon’s cape is made of cloth to allow for the fluid action and movability. Set also includes cape attachment pieces, Grey Sword, Garuru Cannon, and display stand.
DEC 2015
MSRP $64.99

I'm gonna need so much money this December... :negative:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://gematsu.com/2015/08/first-english-ps4-footage-digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-tales-zestiria-more

First english footage of Digimon Sleuth for PS4. It looks so good.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7REghbtW7A

The motherfucking Royal Knights :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Holy crap, the digimon look glorious and Alphamon!!!

So how long before we can watch it? a year? :smith: