Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't notice it until it was pointed out, but is anyone else bothered by Sora and Hikari having the exact same faces in the promo picture for Tri? I wasn't really feeling the art before, and now I think I know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

I wasn't really interested in Digimon past season 2, so hearing they're making a sequel to it has me a bit interested. I don't really know very much about how the series really is these days, how are the other seasons?

I liked Tamers and Savers a lot because having most of the action takes place in the human world from the get-go is more compelling than having in what amounts to generic fantasy world. Savers is especially fun because the protagonist is the most shounen lead ever.

I found Xros Wars pretty dull, because they largely did away with the traditional evolution stuff. The Transformers-esque combiners and new Super Saiyan evolutions just make for some really boring Digimon designs.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mikeycp posted:

As long as it isn't Ryuu-Rogue...

I'm sure the good folks at SubDesu won't let you down!

But seriously, what's wrong with Ryuu-Rogue?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

forbidden lesbian posted:

the hell is joggress evolution, is that what the Digi-eggs were?

It's what DNA digivolving was called in the Japanese series.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

zimbomonkey posted:

Wait, are you saying you believe that a digimon's different level forms aren't decided until the moment that they digivolve? Because that sounds vaguely like digital Darwinism.

Wasn't that the whole idea behind SkullGreymon?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Scratchman Apoo posted:

It's been forever since I saw it, but someone uploaded a dub on Youtube that was done by another country and kept all of the Japanese music. The voices were all in English but clearly had a pretty deep accent to them, and for the life of me I've never been able to find it again.

Also, Tentomon line is the best of the original 8. Accept no substitutes.

Might've been a Singapore dub. They keep all the original music including the OP/ED. I don't know if they did Adventure, but they definitely did Tamers and Frontier at least.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nuebot posted:

After talking a bunch about how it "would never happen" in the LP forum I'm super glad this is happening. Amazon lists its date as December 31st. I assume that means new yearsish? Oh well time to suck it up and get a PS4, not like I wasn't going to with NIER 2 being announced.

It's a placeholder date, because all we have for a release date is 2016, and it's better for a retailer to not get people's hopes up by setting a temporary date too early.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't seen Tri yet, but I thought this was cute: https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nyey5eYuGj1u0ywde.mp4

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was kinda strange they changed one Japanese surname to another Japanese surname, but I guess it was to stop kids from making a joke about spelling Yagami backwards.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Craptacular! posted:

I straight up don't know poo poo about Japanese, so don't get into an argument on my account. What I was experiencing was the equivalent of people writing "desu" in the middle of traditional English. (This was online, nobody was actually pronouncing anything.)

My point is that you have to be a little bit weeb to write such a westernized name in it's Japanese phonetics.

From now on, I'm only going to spell it 大丈夫.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You know,what is the deal with Leomon always dying?

Through all the franchise I think only V-tamer's Leo was spared

It's a running gag.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

JT Smiley posted:

I'd be more upset about it if I wasn't skipping through the dialogue in this game as fast as possible. I'm on chapter 5 now and find myself bored to tears.

Maybe you should start reading the dialogue.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Geostomp posted:

Michael Bay's creations are also an acceptable answer.

mikeycp posted:

A sane person wouldn't find themselves in that situation.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

Going full multimedia like that only makes me think that we'll get a poo poo f2p phone game full of IAPs to make it even remotely playable, with a half-assed anime that only exists to sell said game. The fact that Digimon seemed to fix itself on appealing to an older demographic to survive, while this basically screams "going for children who have no idea how money works so they'll buy everything", doesn't even remotely help.

It might just be me being overly negative though. I also had no expectations whatsoever of Tri, and that sure proved me wrong.

You know the purpose of pretty much all anime is to sell merchandise and manga and poo poo, right? Hell, it's where most of the profit comes from. That's why they all have sponsors bankrolling their shows.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

amigolupus posted:

I was afraid of that. Is it :filez: to ask which subbing group to go with, or would that be against the rules?

L Subs are the only decent ones, though there's a gap of like eps 10-20 where you have to rely on other groups, where I'd say Cakesub is better than Waffesub when it's an option.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/975974722402955264

tfw a 14 year old is still taller than you

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sh-Should I mention I was talking about Haru?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There might not have been any real payoff in tri but at least Gomamon was consistently cute.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, Toei is a giant company and I doubt Tri and a future Sailor Moon project would share much if any high level staff.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don’t remember this at all but it seems pretty obvious it’s a proxy for Daisuke’s crush on Hikari.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only good megas are the ones that are cute and pink.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hadn’t anticipated this, but it would be cowardly to retract my words and I am not a coward.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I’m contractually obligated to say he is now.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is the dub’s compilation movie counted as three movies or one

I guess the only difference it’d make is joe you feel about the middle one

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Crabtree posted:

Have they made an angel that is guns yet? Like cannon barrel wings and bandoleers around its chest?

Yugioh had a dragon made out of bullets, does that count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kurui Reiten posted:

Remember, most people here don't speak or read Japanese, and Google Translate doesn't do much more than slam down random attempts at words when half the text is made up terms to begin with. We need translations.

If something is wordy and redundant, there's no reason a general description can't suffice.