Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The best part of the Digimon Emperor arc was when he limply kicked a puppy and did a weak little evil chuckle. It was the most :effort: villainy and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Strange Quark posted:

I liked Tamers and Savers a lot because having most of the action takes place in the human world from the get-go is more compelling than having in what amounts to generic fantasy world. Savers is especially fun because the protagonist is the most shounen lead ever.

I found Xros Wars pretty dull, because they largely did away with the traditional evolution stuff. The Transformers-esque combiners and new Super Saiyan evolutions just make for some really boring Digimon designs.

I like Xros Wars when it acts unique with its premise and gives some interesting looking designs. Like their version of the Greymon family, for example, which both looked interesting and like the Digimon involved were fusing.

I felt they really dropped the ball with the lead. Shoutmon's fusions are just different Megazords and it gets really boring really fast.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Ethiser posted:

The real question is at what stage will the digivolutions be different. I'm betting Ultimate.

I hope its just giving Megas to the rest of the team. I'm fine with most of their Digivolutions as is, honestly, even if I still find Magnadramon a weird choice for Gatomon's Mega.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Except... Vamdemon and Phantomon are both evil and dark attributed digimon. It's STATED that his attacks are especially effective against them. If he was as strong as an Ultimate/Perfect, he would have been able to stand up to Oukuwamon, and what happened there?

He got his face shoved in after ONE attack.

As for BlackWarGreymon, that is true, and that's where the evolution line being "above average" comes in. But BWG was only as strong as WarGreymon, and we can never know how that fight would have ended because we never saw the final result of it. And WarGreymon was consistently shown to be individually weaker than Piemon. In any case, all HolyAngemon did was hit Piemon ONCE - a feat we saw Garudamon do in the same episode - and open the gate. While the Vilemon were being sucked in, Piemon was not being affected at all.

I dunno man, Okuwamon's a Kuwagamon derivative. And we all know Kuwagamon's 3 for 3 against the protags.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Some Numbers posted:

Based on literally nothing, I'm saying "yes."

:stare: I never put this together. Holy poo poo.

If they ever did a game exploring what if possibilities, Redeemed Legendary Warrior designs would be at the top of what I'd like to see.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Blaze Dragon posted:

No Gaioumon, poo poo game 0/10 would not buy.

...I'd totally but it if it was on a console I own, maybe even PC. All the Story series is on DS, it could be a 3DS game.

I always associated him more with BlackWarGreymon anyway due to the color schemes.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I don't think I remember Meikomon. Which one is that?

Also I'm sad my boy Kuwagamon's undefeated streak is over. At least it sounds like he went down badassly.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Nirvikalpa posted:

The full original movie isn't much better. Probably the worst Digimon movie ever.

How much did the full original have? It seemed like the English cut had the majority of it, or at least the important part of a dinosaur wrestling a parrot.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Raremon could be a fun choice, whether for serious value as a giant, destructive tub of sludge or for comedic value because his face would be great for goofy reactions.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
There was only one minute left. I thought the streak was over.

Leomon :smith:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Rhonne posted:

They really missed an opportunity to bring in the Bancho digimon. Have Leomon digivolve to BanchoLeomon, die, then pass on his Bnacho powers to Lilymon. It just seems so obvious!

It would've been better than Gratuitousfanservicemon.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TFRazorsaw posted:

"Digimon" is part of the series' name. I think it'd be a bit presumptuous to say it won't be used.

EDIT - also, EVERY series of Digimon dates itself. Like, Our War Game and Tamers are great works that both use technology well, but they're also pretty far removed from how technology advanced since.

Application software, meanwhile, have been part of technology for decades now. They're not going anywhere.

EDIT - I mean, Taichi and Koushirou save the world in the 2nd movie using Windows 98 and DIAL-UP.

I can't wait to see Our War Game 3, where Diaboromon takes advantage of modern internet speeds to effortlessly win.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Its probably the shape of the top of the head, but that's the same shape that other dinosaur Digimon like Tyrannomon and Shellmon have too, so really its just design consistency at work.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Hackmon's path feels too smooth to me, imo. I love continuity and smooth transition, but he legitimately looks the same to me at Champion and Ultimate. I feel like Lunamon gets the same feel with less sameyness.

As for ShineGreymon, he just feels kinda like a happy meal toy to me. Its the colors and the roundedness. His Burst Mode, on the other hand, is badass.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TFRazorsaw posted:

so apparently someone asked Kenji Watanabe, the current head of the brand, whether Jesmon's name actually came from "Jesus".

It doesn't. It's just an acronym that coincidentally sounds similar.

What the acronym stands for however is unknown.

I feel like this is a dodge, considering it literally digivolves from a Digimon called Savior.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
For one, we probably would've seen a way more traditionally noble line for Tyrannomon. It feels like MetalTyrannomon is a lot more sinister, drawing more from DarkTyrannomon. Master Tyrannomon could've been the form they went with, but it doesn't quite have the punch that makes a lot of protagonist Ultimates work.

Maybe Megadramon? I'm not sure.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Very true. Proportionally, Tyrannomon is also kinda dumpy. Greymon feels a lot more of an action packed design.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I'm just seeing this discussion and thinking of all the times people insist on Gojira, or Kuririn, or other names changed up in romanization. Then again, Godzilla has that same inconsistency with the amazingly named Destoroyah.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
As someone with intense nostalgia for both series, even the movie rerun arcs of Super are way better than Tri.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I could see that being the case, but man is that way worse for slow released movies than for episodic TV. Still, part 1 was real good, so if they stick the landing it might succeed.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Chaosdramon's official art does him no favors by looking too rounded and compressed. Find card or game art where he's doing the Machinedramon hunch and his cannons are fully extended, and he hits the spit real, real nice.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

drrockso20 posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to do an edit of The Movie replacing the Hurricane Touchdown portion of the movie with the dubbed version of Movie 4

On one hand, that would probably be a lot more cohesive of a product. On the other hand, it would only exacerbate how much 4 felt like "gently caress it, we're doing 2 again, but bigger!"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

why would you buy a figure if it doesn't have tits

Diaboromon's bomb-rear end tits are half of why I'm buying that Keramon.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Holy poo poo, it isn't a sparkledragon. Thank goodness.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure the Weapon Digimon are not sparkledragons in their majority. In fact, they're composed of a lion (who is, surprisingly, not dead in any canon where it appears), a living sword (which turns into a horrible abomination of a sprite with many swords), one sparkledragon line (a very blingy one too) and now this garbage.

Note, I'm not saying garbage as an insult. It just looks really similar to Gerbemon.

Also the Rudo/Ludomon romanizations are probably wrong but Ldmon may as well be unpronouncable so I'll stick with them too I guess.

That's true. Its just nice seeing a new release that isn't a sparkledragon after Hackmon, Zubamon, Deathwing from WoW, and like five new Omnimon variants.

Oh, and GraceNovamon. GraceNovamon is cool too.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TFRazorsaw posted:

The XW manga does the same thing with Nene, unfortunately, shuffling her off and giving all her stuff to a less interesting sibling, and it does it with the added problem of making her body a puppet for someone else that she can't even save herself from, with an added layer of creepy fanservice to boot. But I guess it gets credit for a version of Bagramon that's actually a character.

Oh, don't get me started on how they took my favorite design (Moon=Millenniumon) and turned it into Creepy Underage Gropingdramon. I am still bitter.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Sakkakumon is pretty great imo. I love how abstract and odd he is, and how he's less of a single Digimon and more of an entire dungeon.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Burkion posted:

The general standings are also total garbage because Royal Knight Omnimon LITERALLY cannot be Adventure Omnimon, and Gallantmon in Tamers is a one of a kind freak event fusion of a Digimon and a human, while in every other continuity that he exists in he's just some Digimon.

Child Me called bullshit so hard when Gallantmon was basically a background character in an investigation montage in Frontier. That was when I learned Digimon continuity is basically nonsense.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Oh, hell, now I know that. But when you're 6 and everything else has been sequential or vaguely explained, it's a different story.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Frankly, it'd be cooler if the last few games didn't give me Omnimon fatigue. We had two mode changes for Zwart and then a random recolor that exists I guess, so hard to be excited for our fourth new Omnimon release in such a short time.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Burkion posted:

I think that's the point

This is just a theory, but I'm pretty sure this Omnimon is just going to heal poo poo and make things better. MERCIFUL OMNIMON

I think that makes sense. The lack of a cape makes it look far less imposing, and it has neither its cannon or blade exposed. It certainly looks much less like a warrior.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Omnicrom posted:

I've always been a huge fan of Deathmon, the only Demon Lord digimon who never hit it big. Deathmon was a real good monster of the week in V-Tamers, but beyond that Deathmon has basically no traction in digimon media. I suspect it's because Deathmon is thoroughly unthreatening, but I find it rather endearing.

I really love Deathmon honestly. The idea of this neutral observer of all things who will herald in the apocalypse once it sees doomsday is great, and while not the most threatening Digimon it certainly has an unnerving and almost kind of ugly cute vibe to it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Tyrannomon needed careful, meticulous raising. Greymon needed winning lots of fights. What is your average 6 year old going to do?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Nodosaur posted:

so apparently the thing that made Greymon easier to raise in the original v-pet than Tyrannomon was a programming error that switched their raising requirements

the entire franchise has been shaped around a different Digimon because of a mistake

Got a source? Because holy poo poo.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Realtalk, I always preferred the original Falcomom to the ninja owl design, even if I was disappointed to realize it looked less like an owlbear than its original art made me think.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
The new appmon Mirrormon works great for AncientWisemon.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Nodosaur posted:

eh, I don't really like using Appmon in Digimon lines.

I'll agree with you for 99% of those, but Mirrormon is too adorable and fitting for me to really take umbrage with imo.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Leraika posted:

Looks like blue WarGreymon to me.

Not a huge fan of how the champion stage is just the rookie stage but bigger.

They've done that a lot lately and it saddens me. Hackmon's line honestly bores me to tears.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I gotta admit, I'm impressed at how thoroughly the original art for Sakuyamon X removed every shred of that outfit. Talk about burying an actually cool design under fanservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Sakuyamon X would be amazing if she just wore clothes. It almost makes it worse after seeing the concept art.