Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Covok posted:

Apparently, one of those games that never left was a PSP RPG of the entire first season of Digimon that included everyone's warp evolutions.

I think I'm going to cry because this is never coming to the states.

Well, that one at least is getting a fan translation. It's about 2/3rds done. Or so I heard.

The villain in Ryo's games was pretty impressive. Those games may have been on the super-cheap Wonderswan, but they did well establishing how outrageously powerful he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Rudoku posted:

That and I wanted to see what Wormmon's Perfect form would be if the D.Kaiser didn't waste his crest making a shitmon.

Chimeramon? Sure, it was terrible. It was only one of the two precursors of the strongest digimon that had ever existed up to that point, who still has a very good claim to being one of the top badasses in the franchise.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Onmi posted:

So did Ryo exist? if he did, then how come none of the other children remember him?

They did kinda gently caress him over pretty terribly. It's understandable that bringing him up would be rather uncomfortable.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Was Ryo that much of a big deal to understand 02?

I didn't knew of him existing until years later and never had an issue understanding Ken's backstory.

Well, yes and no. The key point was that Ryo's mortal foe, Millenniumon, was the origin of the dark spore that made Ken a super genius and also turned him evil (as well as presumably manipulating his memory). The implication being that driving Ken to create Chimeramon, a precursor to Millenniumon, was the spore trying to recreate his old body. Which would have been an instant game over.

Millenniumon is one of my favorite digimon villains, because he's just so audaciously outrageous. He's the one who released Apocalymon from behind the fire wall, resulting in the events of season one. Then, as a follow-up act, he caused most of the events of season two, with nothing more than fragments of himself that he cast off as he was "dying." Malomyotismon was just cribbing off of the power left over by his corpse, except he wasn't even dead. He's seemingly unkillable, far beyond the norms for digital life.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

But that is the point, you didn't even see Millieniunmon clearly on the shot. You just see a big thing blowing up and Ken being hit by the spores. For the average american kid seeing the show the whole thing was pretty clear and straight forward.

Yeah. It's really not needed to understand, or rather, it doesn't make the story any more coherent. But it does add a little subtext to the whole thing.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

So Ryo was basically part of a season to season metaplot that occurred through material outside of the series that never developed into its own?

Ryo's story spanned four games, one of which was even dubbed into English. But by the time he appeared in Tamers, that storyline had already been concluded. They ultimately defeated Zeedmillenniumon in the only way they possibly could, by sealing him in a prison he did not want to escape.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Well, who's to say that ENIAC did not eventually develop into Yggdrasil? After all, in the real world, ENIAC only existed until the 50's.

And Ryo was not Veemon's partner. He had only one true partner, and that was Millenniumon. All the others except Monodramon were borrowed.

As for why only Ryo could beat Millenniumon, as well as his other most hard-to-believe feat, that he was able to have multiple digimon partners and power them up more quickly and to a higher level than their true human partners, the answer to both is really quite simple. The connection between human and digimon that allows the energy transfer needed for digivolution works in both directions. The whole time, Ryo was weakening Millenniumon to power up the others.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brony Hunter posted:

As a kid I always wondered why the evil Digimon didn't just target the Digidestined instead of their partners or at least try and smash their Digivices.

Since digimon are more or less immortal, it wouldn't occur to them that killing the kids would be a workable solution (is the explanation I just made up).

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Onmi posted:

You should give them a read http://digitalscratch.pmsinfirm.org/?p=4125 They suffer from the usual "Fan Translation" issue. But the author is trying hard to tell the story while clearing up a lot of the filler/hint at the plot.

Like PicoDevimon stealing all the crests and Sora beating the poo poo out of him alone to take most of them back...

I'm only a little way through it, but it really is interesting (and nostalgic). We always knew that the partner digimon had been alive for a long time, but this says that they were conscious and aware, and not only that, it was a lot longer than I thought. We're talking ancient here, like on the geological time scale.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

Wouldn't Juri be Rei?

I mean it's not that close of a comparison but nobody really is. Even the Rika/Asuka thing has the crucial difference of Rika actually having a positive relationship.

Juri would be Toji, wouldn't she? Pilot/Tamer number 4 who gets smooshed by the plot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Jogress, incidentally, is a combination of the words 'joint' and 'progress.'