Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New DRB arrivals are actually kind of interesting!

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1391581022454788098

Atamadekachimon (with Minidekachimon) and Yo!Yo!mon* were the winner and second in the DigiWindow contest back in 2006 and had no appearances whatsoever until this week's Adventure: for Atamadekachimon and Minidekachimon. Kodokugumon has existed for years (since 1999, in fact!) as part of Dokugumon, even appearing in the original Adventure, though it should be noted that it did not look like this before. It got a major redesign, which is extremely unusual especially considering this artwork is relatively new and from a currently ongoing game:

*Yoxtu is stupid even for Bandai's usual romanization mess ups and I refuse to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Unexpected DRB update! Knightly boys are in!
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1392300858805825539

Shoutmon X4K is a very unexpected arrival - until now it got no recognition whatsoever outside of Xros Wars, where it debuted, and even there it was treated as a minor form. Not even Super Xros Wars had it, so it was logical to think it'd die in XW itself. But no, proper DRB profile! Proper Bandai artwork! Perfect-level, Data-attribute, more attacks than just Burning Star Crusher! It is now an actual full-fledged Digimon and I could not be more proud of my knightly boy.

Gladimon Gradimon (ugh) is an old one (2002!) that went mostly ignored after its debut, though it did get a really rad DCB card that serves as a prequel to a Knightmon card, confirming them being in the same line (if their looks weren't enough for that)

Personally I greatly appreciate this love for old, forgotten Digimon that the DRB is giving recently and hope it keeps it up. Still over a hundred Digimon that haven't gotten a profile!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Talking about knights,
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1392445120092512256

I feel hiring Skull/Dark/MusoKnightmon as your bodyguard isn't a great idea.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It helps that Rebellimon was originally meant to be an Ogremon - its original name was MetalOgremon before they settled on Rebellimon. It works well as a Perfect level so Ogremon has a full line, although I kind of dislike that it goes from biological, to cyborg, back to fully biological. But then again, it's not like that that hasn't happened before. Such is Digimon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s still “canon”, as much as lines like this can be, it’s just that the ultimate stage can be a cool motorcycle man or an egg. Who knows, maybe Deviltamamon or HolyDigitamamon might get any amount of focus

Seeing how the latter is still nothing more than a sprite...well, hopefully. Hopefully it'll get added to the DRB.

Meanwhile, in funny ("funny") Bandai news... Gladimon was added to the DRB as "Gradimon", then changed to "Gladimon" and back to "Gradimon" in less than 24 hours. It's back to "Gladimon" now. Please just stop messing this up, Bandai. For once.

But then again, when they can't even get the name of tne franchise right...
https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1393023177018667008

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

The games did moderately well, i think? Maybe this will convince them to kick bandais rear end and get survive made

The latest rumour is that it'll be released on September but god knows I don't trust anything anymore. Even if we got an official release date, I wouldn't believe in it until the game actually came out.

Tbh i could live with them deciding to never do an anime again if it meant theyd focus on the videogames and tcg

I really don't want the anime to die. For a very long time it was by far the best part of the franchise and not only because the games put out a very low bar to clear. Adventure, Tamers, Savers, Appmon, all were goddamn excellent, and even 02 and Xros Wars were enjoyable watches. Digimon anime is normally good when it doesn't just want to retread Adventure, so if this teaches Toei to stop trying to do Adventure again when they clearly have no idea why Adventure worked, I'm sure we could get a brand new anime of very high quality that would no doubt be a complete failure on a sales standpoint.

Maybe just accept children don't care about Digimon and focus entirely on us, the manchildren who still love this series in spite of the terrible attempts at nostalgia. You don't need those, really, we love this franchise for far more than just The Tai Power Hour.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ryaomon posted:

Can't say anything about fan reception but in terms of ratings it is tanking hard and Toei has admitted in their latest earnings report the series has almost no child viewers.

I need to go back to this after remembering (to my great regret) Last Evolution and how it genuinely felt like an attack against people who still liked Digimon as adults (and also agaisnt anyone that thinks growing up shouldn't mean leaving all you liked as a child behind, but that's besides the point).

Modern Adventure is just a giant mess. Kill this thing off, never touch Adventure again, put the effort into making a genuinely good series instead of half-assed nostalgia bait, that may help! Hell, if you absolutely must do the nostalgia bait, Chiaki Konaka has been very insistent on wanting to do that Tamers 2, and seeing how it's Tamers, it'd work perfectly for the adult demographic that still keeps the franchise afloat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I don't feel like Adventure:'s problems are rooted in it using the Adventure characters. There's nothing really about the plot that's retreading Adventure specifically rather than being just a new "trapped in the Digital World"-type Digimon show, and non-partner Digimon that are in both shows are pretty different. It does suffer for having such a large cast - fewer kids would mean the non-lead focus would have been better spread out - but IMO its critical flaw is its pacing, and the same people at the same time presumably would have had that same issue no matter how fresh the show they're making was.

I absolutely think that it reusing Adventure stuff is an issue though. It feels like the writers put little interest in characters because you're expected to know them already. Everyone has their Crests, but they're completely unexplained (beyond randomly dropping the word "Hope" around Takeru several times and "Friendship" around Yamato a couple of times, things that only make sense if you know about them already). Furthermore, characters are simplified from the original Adventure, lacking their more negative traits since, hey, we've already done this character development. Sadly it all ends up with characters feeling bland. Taichi and Koshiro especially feel completely devoid of personality, though the latter at least got a good episode with Gerbemon.

Other than that, yeah, the issues are from Adventure: itself, mostly the absolutely horrendous pacing. For some reason we got episodes that would've made sense before Perfects, character-focused episodes, extremely late. We got WarGreymon far earlier than any other Mega, and then the series had Taichi conveniently forget he could do that because otherwise the power balance wouldn't make any sense. It doesn't help that the episodes we did get early weren't great - lots of very basic enemies with no characterization, constant fights with nothing else, a clear lack of interest in character focus, and all made worse by a clear lack of interest from Toei in giving the series at least decent, consistent animation. Which they can absolutely do for a long-term series, the concurrent Dai no Daibouken has been great to excellent in all but, what, two episodes so far? And we've had three eps in a row with nothing but insane sakuga (with a few CGI fights in the middle that actually looked quite decent for CGI!).

Adventure: does stuff right, which makes things even more frustrating. Every actual character episode has been good to excellent. Some characters are genuinely more enjoyable than they were originally: Mimi lacking her crybaby nature has made her an absolute wonder, Takeru is a lot more enjoyable as this incredibly reckless kid that has absolutely no issues standing up to giant monsters that can and will kill him with extreme ease, and even Hikari has gotten some degree of characterization which she absolutely did not have in any series of the original Adventure continuity. But it's minor in comparison to what it does wrong, in animation, in pacing, in writing.

I feel it may read as if I hate Adventure:, and that's not the case. I just feel Adventure: is not great. It's one of the weaker Digimon series. It's not poo poo like Frontier or Hunters, it's significantly better than the other two attempts at reviving Adventure, but it can't compare to Adventure or V-Tamer despite taking heavy inspiration from both and wanting to update the former to a modern audience. It's a lot worse than its immediate predecessor Appmon, which also had some wonky pacing but it put a heavy focus on the characters themselves and in explaining the world they inhabit. It's a shame, after how exciting the first few episodes were, and how it felt like it was going on an upswing when it decided to finally give characters time to be characters and not just exist for poorly animated fight scenes every episode.

Anyways negativity aside, I'd recommend reading this thread. It shows the inspiration of different Digimon Card Game cards, and it's super interesting.
https://twitter.com/Cyber_C00kie/status/1394723125791707140

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Finally, a poll where the people voted right.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1394847734839095301?s=19

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

buddy angewomon was in the first anime

Angewomon in the anime was mostly unsexualized though, especially in comparison to other versions. Well, until Tri, that is. Just compare:

(Adventure)
(Tri)

Admittedly, Tri's version is closer to her Bandai artwork, which also has the broken breastplate:

And even there, neither is nearly as bad as some Angewomon art gets. I'm not even willing to link to it, just check wikimon.net/Angewomon and go to the Collectors/Crusader Cards tab down in the bottom. Or hell, even the DCG cards are surprisingly sexualized considering how tame the DCG is in comparison to those two.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sleeping Sigma posted:

I know that technically Summer doesn't begin until June 20th but I'm thinking that Survive has missed it's Spring window for new info since it's not in this months V-Jump. :shepicide:

One of the Bandai-Namco official Twitter accounts posted yesterday that it will be released this year.

I don't believe it for a second, but at least it isn't completely forgotten.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Talking about the DCG, I got Tabletop Simulator and the DCG add-on. I'm trying to use it but...I don't get it. Can anyone explain how this is meant to work, because I'm missing it. I expected a proper interface, not this.

Or is there any better way? Something like YGOPro but for the DCG.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I actually managed to get a hang on Tabletop Simulator after that thanks to Youtube tutorials and a different DCG sim that's more automated (it literally has Automated in its name). I played three games with a friend finally!

I lost all three but that's another issue entirely.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DigiFes 2021 will happen on August 1st. It will be heavily Tamers-focused due to its 20th anniversary, including a brand new special drama written by Chiaki Konaka himself. Furthermore, the VAs of all of the important Tamers characters will be there (Masako Nozawa prerecorded her part likely due to her advanced age) - except Renamon's. Which maps to the CD drama. With a new drama, and this much focus on Tamers, it makes me wonder if Toei's planning on pushing forward with Tamers 2 following Konaka's vision.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This sure was an episode where nothing even remotely interesting happened in spite of being plot-critical, technically. Adventure: is impressive at feeling like it does nothing but waste our time. What an incredibly nothing episode for something as important.

At least it had one good looking moment, which was used twice in the episode so even that wasn't done great.

Next ep spoiler:
I wouldn't expect much of the next ep. Summary says it's a Taichi episode in spite of having Takeru and Hikari evolve, so I can't help but feel it'll be a repeat of the terrible BlitzGreymon episode but with good animation this time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It is time to celebrate the most noble of Digimon.

Numemon.
https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1397478866587987968?s=19

Gold and BlackKing have been added to the Digimon Reference Book.

Also Mamemon, with a card showing approximately all of them.
https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg/status/1397477617066971139?s=19

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hey, did you like Digimon Rumble Arena on the PS1? Were you disappointed that Digimon Rumble Arena 2 was nothing like it (because it was a completely different game that got renamed in the west)? Well, do I have something for you!

Project Digimon is a fangame I found recently that tries (and, in my opinion, succeeds!) at being a proper Rumble Arena 2. It's still in development, but even now it has an impressive roster from the first three seasons as well as multiple paths in Arcade Mode. It's very fun and I feel it should be better-known, and it's incredibly close to the original game. Give it a try if that's your thing!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

gently caress Rosemon give me BanchoLilymon

My thoughts exactly. It's sad to know that won't happen because having BanchoMamemon appear is like the absolute perfect setup for Palmon to become a Bancho herself, and I'd love to see the whole group get anime appearances. Not to mention how another main character Digimon already took Rosemon, so Palmon could get something unique too. But for now, I'll be happy that we got one more Bancho in an anime.

Also seeing Ogremon back should be great too, he was like the only villain in this entire series to have a personality. Rebellimon is the logical next step for him too.

Half the american greymon arent even greymon in japan which like i guess it sucks to change the name after so long but still, probably should bite the bullet

If they didn't do it for the DCG, where the names actually cause ruling issues, they won't do it. Which is weird considering dub names are inconsistent anyways (Creepymon/Daemon, Crusadermon/LoadKnightmon, Agumon/Augumon...the list keeps going)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

If we hear anything about it at all it will most likely be from a Japanese source first. Was it ever even announced for a global release?

Yes, it was confirmed early on to be a global release. There's also no reason whatsoever to believe it wouldn't be when every Digimon game for a while except those exclusive to China or Korea have gotten to the west.

It will be released everywhere or nowhere, but not only in Japan.

That said the more time passes, the harder it is to believe it will be "everywhere" instead of "nowhere"...but they've been somewhat insistent on the 2021 release date lately, so maybe there's finally a finished game to release. Maybe.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omnicrom posted:

Adventure 20 Episode 52: well that was a limp nothing of an episode. Like, I am struggling but that may be the least impressive debut of an Ultimate Digimon to date in the franchise. Can someone tell me why at the very least Hououmon didn't kill a Volcanicdramon or something? I was absolutely certain something would come out of the volcano for her to fight until about the 15 minute mark when I realized that from the pacing of the episode it was seriously just just going to be a natural disaster. They were definitely trying with Hououmon, but the fact that everyone was literally out of danger by the time she appeared completely cut the legs out from under her debut.

Now I point out Sakuyamon also didn't fight anyone when she first appeared, but by contrast Renamon evolved in a do or die situation and was actually able to do something against the big scary threat that the four gods had constantly been talking up. Also, Ruki had been a much more consistently written and present character than Sora has been in Adventure 20. Also also, her evolving was after two consecutive episodes of Ruki wanting to try and evolve to Ultimate and not being able to for various reasons so this was finally payoff for something established.

I'm not surprised Piyomon could evolve to Ultimate, they established a long time ago that anyone of the cast could hit that level of they go hard enough, maybe even from day one. I just wish the show had like, I don't know, done something to make it seem important. Just because it isn't necessarily special or unique doesn't mean that you shouldn't TREAT IT like it was special or unique.

Remember how in Tri and beyond it seemed like someone in Toei absolutely hated Sora? That thought kind of popped in to my mind while I was watching the episode and realizing how little there actually was in it. Also, am I wrong or have they not basically done exactly this episode at least twice before in previous media? I know the show is trading entirely on nostalgia at this point, but prior to now Adventure 20 had at least avoided doing literal retreads of previous episodes.

WarGreymon and BlitzGreymon had worse debuts in this very series than Hououmon did. At least Hououmon felt deserved and did something neat, unlike those two that evolved because we gotta push merchandise and the latter didn't even get a well-animated fight.

I'm also glad Hououmon fights no one. I'm sick of this series introducing new Digimon with no personality every episode just so we can have a fight every. Single. Episode. That that didn't happen alone makes me have a lot more respect for this episode than I do for most of Adventure:. It had an unique conflict for the episode, had the human and Digimon in focus have an actual dynamic (which even the original Adventure was terrible at) even if it was taken straight from Adventure, and hey, Junkmon was a nice character of the week.

Sorry, I just don't agree with your post at all. This episode was good and the best thing Sora has gotten since the original Adventure, and honestly, probably ever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I guess it's time to accept that Digimon Survive doesn't really exist.

https://twitter.com/E3/status/1404615332795277312

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Not sure which would be the worse option, the game just being quietly cancelled after all this time or it being stuck in development hell for nearly a decade only to wind up sucking poo poo ala Duke Nukem Forever (maybe the latter)

The latter. The former means they can at least move on to the next Story game, the latter means we may be waiting for nothing for that much longer.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Digimon Survive dev team and the Digimon Story team are separate. Whether one of them is cancelled or not has no bearing on the other.

I hope you're right (because Survive isn't happening) but I can't be totally sure when they were so adamant about the next Story coming out after Survive, and Habu being involved in both.

Meanwhile, E3:
https://twitter.com/NoContxtmon/status/1404874958296211460

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's animated now, thanks Wikimon
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1404925293836619776

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Instead of talking about a game that doesn't exist, let me talk for a moment a game that does.

Project Digimon is a fangame meant to serve as a sequel/modernization of Digimon Rumble Arena (Rumble Arena 2 is actually an entirely separate game that got renamed that in the west for marketing purpouses). I've talked about it before, I mostly bring it up again because it got updated to v0.6 on Friday, which added Hawkmon (Valkyrimon), Armadimon (SlashAngemon) and PicoDevimon (BelialVamdemon) to the game, as well as the 02 route, thus completing the 02 roster, and it still has more to go.

As of now, this game has 62 playable Digimon, which is insane for a fighting game, and several costumes are different Digimon themselves if you want to count those (for instance, Tsukaimon is one of Patamon's costumes, and evolves into BlackSeraphimon). I made a list of all of the playable Digimon because I have nothing but respect for this game and I feel people should try it out:

• Keramon > Diablomon
  • Dracumon > Piemon (alt 3: ChaosPiemon)
  • Hagurumon (alt 3: Solarmon) > Mugendramon (alt 3: HiMugendramon)
  • Mushmon > Pinochimon
  • Betamon (alt 2: ModokiBetamon) > MetalSeadramon (alt 3: ChaosSeadramon)
  • PicoDevimon > BelialVamdemon
  • Agumon (alt 2: YukiAgumon) > WarGreymon/WarGreymon X
  • Gabumon (alt 3: BlackGabumon) > MetalGarurumon (alt 3: BlackMetalGarurumon)
  • Tentomon > HerakleKabuterimon (alt 3: Mutant HerakleKabuterimon)
  • Patamon (alt 3: Tsukaimon) > Seraphimon (alt 3: BlackSeraphimon)/Goddramon
  • V-mon > Imperialdramon FM (alt 2: Infected Imperialdramon FM)/Magnamon
  • Wormmon > GrandisKuwagamon
  • BlackAgumon > BlackWarGreymon (alt 2: ChaosGreymon)
  • Guilmon (alt 3: BlackGuilmon) > Dukemon (alt 3: ChaosDukemon)/Dukemon X
  • Terriermon > SaintGalgomon (alt 3: BlackSaintGalgomon)/Rapidmon Armor
  • Renamon > Sakuyamon (alt 2: Kuzuhamon/alt 3: Mutant Sakuyamon)
  • Gomamon > Vikemon/Plesiomon (alt 2: Mutant Plesiomon)
  • Piyomon > Hououmon
  • Palmon (alt 3: Alraumon) > Rosemon
  • Tailmon > Holydramon/Ofanimon > Ofanimon Core
  • Hawkmon > Valkyrimon
  • Armadimon > SlashAngemon
  • Leomon (alt 2: Panjyamon/alt 3: Dark Leomon) > SaberLeomon
  • Impmon > Beelzebumon (alt 2: Mutated Beelzebumon) > Beelzebumon BM
  • Lopmon (alt 3: White Lopmon) > Cherubimon Vice
  • Omegamon (alt 3: Omegamon Zwart)
  • Dukemon CM
  • Gokumon

Okay, back to moping about how Survive doesn't exist.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bee posted:

What exactly are the mutants? Also, how do the double Digivolutions work? I notice Gatomon and Beelzemon have them, along with some Digimon having two Digivolution options.

Mutant Digimon are Digimon that were affected by Volcanicdramon's power in Linkz. There's a list in Wikimon, which is the only reason they know about it because I sure as hell am not playing any of the Digimon gacha.

About the double evolutions, let me explain these separately since we have two things here:
  • For the Digimon that have two Digimon separated by a slash (for example, Seraphimon/Goddramon) it means that they can choose one of them to evolve into before the battle begins. In some cases (such as the aforementioned Goddramon) the second evolution is an unlockable character, while in others (the X Digimon) you have them to begin with.
  • For the Digimon that have an evolution after an evolution (Beelzebumon BM and Ofanimon Core), this is due to a specific mechanic from Project Digimon that didn't exist in Rumble Arena. In Rumble Arena, if you started a match with an evolved Digimon, a full evolution gauge gave you access to your finishing move. Project Digimon removes finishing moves entirely, instead, an evolved Digimon (picked as such, not evolved in-battle) with a full gauge instead can trigger an "Ultra" stage. In most cases, the Ultra stages are slight changes to the original: a weird red palette on top of the Digimon and a statistical power-up, not much else. Others get something a bit more interesting, such as Dukemon CM getting a different down-special or Goddramon having his dragons surround him at all times. Ofanimon and Beelzebumon, though, take it a step higher and just have completely new evolutions. Beelzebumon BM actually changes his gameplay style completely, while Ofanimon Core is mostly aesthetic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Project Digimon 2021 (the live-action Vital Bracelet ad) Episode 4 is out and it's just as good as all the ones before. God, why can't this be the actual anime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxf4uDDQR8g

Also new Gaioumon form in ReArise:
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1405869059221209089

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 18, 2021

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I saw posts and I expected people to be talking about this week's episode. My bad, I guess.

Really good ep this week, surprisingly enough. Very silly but hilarious in every way, every moment. Digimon Adventure: really does the cute, silly filler so good, and everything else so loving terribly. It's super late for this kind of ep but gently caress it, I had a lot of fun with it, and I wish the entire series was like this. Joe is very good too. Taichi had no reason to be here but this is Adventure: so he has to be there, I guess.

This episode had really good art and a lot of good faces too.

https://twitter.com/translationmon/status/1406562575723089922
https://twitter.com/translationmon/status/1406580894345822209

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 20, 2021

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Improbable Lobster posted:

Was that newish Digimon World game any good? I kinda want to play something along the lines of the original DW but not as janky and confusing

Yeah, Next Order is good. The game is highly polished and its systems make sense and can be manipulated to your advantage, unlike the original. Plus it has Analogman back and Analogman's a great antagonist.

EDIT: We got the rosters for Hermit in the Jungle and Nu Metal Empire:
https://twitter.com/JP_Excelsior/status/1407002925457620992

HitJ has two new Digimon: Perfect-level Ayataramon and Mega-level BloomLordmon (not sure about the first romanization).

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 21, 2021

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The first one is Ajattaramon and the second one reads more like Blumlordmon (or blumme, bloem or another European language word for flower) but it wouldn’t be the first time they’ve used weird katakana for English words in Digimon names. I’ll accept Bloomlordmon.

Oh, good to know! I'm taking romanizations off Twitter, I can't read any of the Japanese alphabets. Though I imagine that, if fans are having debates on how this should be romanized, Bandai will give us something significantly more stupid. Can't wait for VroomRoadmon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

weird they'd use MailBirdramon and not Greymon.

It's probably because it's Nu Metal Empire and Greymon is not particularly metallic, while MailBirdramon is a mechanic Digimon and MetalGreymon is a cyborg. I did expect Greymon too, but I can see why it wouldn't be there.

drrockso20 posted:

Or use Raremon as one of the Adults but not include RareRaremon or some other gross grubby Perfect for it to evolve into

Similarly the bugs in Hermit are kinda out of place unless the hidden Ultimate is AncientBeetmon or BanchoStingmon or something, and Spinomon is just plain awkward in general as Tropiamon is the only Perfect that makes much if any sense evolving into it and even then only in a vague sense that the opposite pattern(Dinosaur to Dragon) happens all the time in the franchise so the opposite happening for once kinda works, though Bacchusmon or Xuanwumon would have made way more sense

I have no idea here though. I agree with all of this, and I hadn't even thought about RareRaremon but it's weird that such a new Digimon doesn't get the chance to shine when its previous form is here. The bugs are a bit random, and Spinomon is just...weird.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

girl dick energy posted:

It makes the whole experience even more brutal. Hey, not only is one of your parents leaving your life, so is this person you trust who could be someone to help you go through it together. You know, the one who's been with you for either your or their entire life and you've been taught to watch out for each other?

In fairness, we're shown to some extent that they've kept in contact, with Yamato and Takeru still having a very close relationship. I'm pretty sure they still have both of their parents in their life, if not all the time.

Kouji and Koichi, on the other hand...goddamn that one was messy. "Your other parent is dead also you never had a twin brother" is one hell of a thing. Kouji's father is still the worst.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Digimon Adventure: will be the first Digimon anime with five endings, we're getting a new one in July. It'll be the first song in the franchise by a K-Pop group too I believe.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1407847735160619008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBa-2jFyT4

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Happy birthday to this entire franchise!
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1408442824996106242

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Petiso posted:

This episode's opening didn't have the added SFX and used the old MetalGreymon's digievolution sequence that shows Machinedramon's silhouette. Since the only mention of the main plot is Tai's following the direction his digivice is pointing to I think this IS a repurposed old episode they couldn't slot in for whatever reason.

The opening hasn't had SFX since Millenniumon was defeated, and there was never another MetalGreymon evolution sequence. The absolute reality is that this series has no goddamn idea what pacing is and it just keeps proving this every week.

About the episode itself, it was goddamn beautiful, wow. An absolute masterpiece in animation. Lots of people worked on this one, from outside and inside Toei. I have no idea why they put such effort on a random filler episode, when actual plot-important episodes looked so much worse (hi, Mugendramon fight). The episode itself was nice, but it felt utterly pointless so late, and Agumon and Taichi shouldn't have been in it considering they added nothing to it and seemingly were there because we can't just go a single episode without the most generic leader Digimon has ever had (note: I'm talking specifically about Taichi: here, V-Taichi and Adventure Taichi were significantly better). It was also just a constant Xros Wars reference which was unexpected - Cutemon is voiced by Kuwashima Houko as he was in Xros Wars, he does the "kyu" thing, Rebellimon blatantly takes Dorulumon's role by the end (ex-bad guy from the big bad army now turned wanderer who travels alongside Cutemon) and Taichi outright said "hottokenai", channeling his predecessor Taiki.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Covok posted:

Someone said Tamers is getting a thing at something called Digifest 2021.

It's just an extended version of the audio drama we already had. There's no plans for a full series in spite of Konaka wanting it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Haven’t caught up with the past three or so episodes yet but at this point I’m kind of amused by how many people still haven’t come realized/come too terms with the fact that Taichi is this show’s Masaru yet and act shocked when he’s the one who gets to be the Big Hero all the time.

Beyond what was already pointed out by Omnicrom, there's also a big difference between those two: Masaru had a personality. Hell, I can say that even of loving Tagiru, whose personality was intolerable and he sucked major rear end, but at least I could tell you what his character was, even if it was one-note and said note made me want to punch him in the face. There's just nothing about Taichi:, it's impressive just how much of a void of personality he is. Neither of his inspirations (Adventure and V-Tamer Taichi) were like this, so it makes me genuinely wonder if the writing team just really didn't get what made V-Tamer Taichi enjoyable or what.

So we have this nothing character that appears every single episode, hell, the series specifically breaks the party so all get their own individual adventures and Taichi is, somehow, always there. But he also appears for no reason - he didn't do poo poo here, barely mattered in the TonosamaGekomon episode, and could've been written out of the Rebellimon episode with nearly no changes (and there he was the only human character!). Whenever he is there for a reason, no one else gets to matter - the Millenniumon fight was just depressing in how Zeed appeared only to get one-shot by WarGreymon, invalidating the two Digimon that got their first evolution for that; or hell, the absolutely terrible BlitzGreymon appearance in a Koshiro episode.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We have the titles and info for the next episodes, courtesy of With the Will:

Episode 56- The Gold Wolf of the Crescent Moon (July 11th)
During the night, Yamato Ishida and his partner Gabumon encounter Zanbamon, a ghost-like Digimon who wields a giant sword and cuts down Digimon one after the other. They are unable to fight Zanbamon because all attacks pass through him. Yamato and Gabumon save Strabimon, the sole survivor of the attack, and learn from a small community who lives in fear of Zanbamon that there was once a swordsman Digimon who had locked Zanbamon away. In order to defeat Zanbamon, they would need the legendary sword that the swordsman used...

Episode 57- Contact from Destruction (July 18th)
Taichi Yagami and his partner Agumon wander into a mysterious temple. Awaiting them there are countless Child II Argomon. They surround Taichi and Agumon before evolving to Adult. One of them evolves even further to Perfect, and challenge Taichi and Agumon to a life-threatening "Experiment and Proof." Taichi is taken by the Adult levels, while Agumon is trapped in a strange area. What is the Perfect level Argomon up to, and what is its real identity?

Episode 58- Light of New Life (July 25th)
Taichi's sister Hikari, with her partner Tailmon, and Yamato's brother Takeru Takaishi, with his partner Patamon, visit the land that Petaldramon had turned into a forest. This was apparently the destination that Hikari was seeking. The forest had become a place where Digieggs, the eggs that Digimon hatch from, were nurtured, and the group reunites with Muchomon and the others. According to them, Soulmon would appear from time to time to prevent some of the Digieggs from hatching, which was how Muchomon and them ended up protecting them. Taichi and Agumon join up with them, but soon after, they are attacked by SkullBaluchimon, a Digimon who abhors "life" with a passion and smelled the arrival of the holy Digimon. Taichi and the others flee into the forest carrying the soon-to-hatch Digieggs, while Hikari and HolyAngemon remain behind to protect the remaining Digieggs and face SkullBaluchimon...

Episode 59- Electric Light, HerculesKabuterimon (August 1st)
Guided by the Crest of Knowledge, Koushiro Izumi and his partner Tentomon return to the great canyon of overlapping rocks. Awaiting the both of them there was Nanomon, a knowledge-crazed Digimon. To decide who was the true user of knowledge, Nanomon challenges Koushiro to a puzzle game. Taichi joins up with Koushiro, and to save Whamon who is held hostage, they face the dungeon that Nanomon has prepared. However, it becomes apparent that every time a puzzle is incorrectly solved in that dungeon, one of their friends is taken away.

Episode 60- Vikemon, Conquerer of the Glaciers (August 8th)
Due to an unknown cause, the hot springs where Jou Kido and his partner Gomamon are staying at dry out. If nothing is done soon, all of the Digimon living at the hot spring will freeze. As the leader, Jou decides to head to a paradise of legend located in the south. Along the way, he happens to run into Mimi Tachikawa and Palmon, and the two join together to continue the journey. However, a group of pirates led by Olegmon attack them, and Jou is taken as a prisoner of war.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

The Taichi shoehorning in continues, I guess.

At least the Yamato episode and the Joe/Mimi episode don't mention him so maybe we get those two eps as a break. Maybe.

In other news, we got a revival of an old toy line! One that was important enough for the franchise to make a full new Digimon based on it (Mimicmon). It's an old one too, if you like the rough aesthetic of early Digimon, it's your kind of line. But now it has new Digimon in it!

https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1413281214295801858
https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1413281960802193409

Also Volcano Ota will be on this week's episode. It's unclear if he's voicing himself again or a random Digimon as he's done both in the past. He may be Zanbamon or Strabimon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Preview of the 02 Kizuna albums, with songs by the VAs of the 02 cast (their Last Evolution Kizuna VAs, to be exact) and their Digimon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMAMR_yhzaE