Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Wikias are the worst thing. Their ads will crash pretty much any browser that doesn't have an adblock in my experience. So if you're ever playing a game you can't alt tab out of, or want to look something up on your phone out of curiosity and the only result is a wikia link, you're kind of boned.

This baffling to me as someone who's used Wikia numerous times has never a single issue with its ads, never even needing adblock of any kind on it.

ghost sex posted:

well its info is also pretty lacking in some departments

basically go to the wikia (except don't) if you want to know about anime/game/whatever story info and go to wikimon if you're more interested in seeing all the possible evolution lines, official images, and translated digimon encyclopedia entries

i don't even know what criteria the wikia editors use to decide what goes under 'next forms' because the game appearances on the same page will list more than what's shown in the infobox

While most wikis have rules, the Digimon wiki has an entire manual page for editing on it, the criteria is on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As I mentioned in the Re:Digitize LP thread, the fact that the epilogue of 02 is still canon means that the 02 cast (including their partner Digimon) must still be alive to be part of that epilogue. ArmyOfMidgets has the right idea about them being more likely hospitalized rather than actually dead since continuity prevents Alphamon from actually killing them.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 26, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
What's funny is that I began suspecting that Meicrackmon was the actual Ultimate/Perfect Level form as the form shown at the end of Determination was a little too simplistic a transition to be the actual next Level.

The only one that can even compare are Gotsumon -> Icemon -> Meteormon and Data Squad already mocked that:

And yes I'm technically cheating by using a gif from Savers but the dub had fun with this as well.

Anyway, good to see that I was right about that form just being Meicoomon mid-Digivolution to Meicrackmon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Meicrackmon is a ridiculously terrible name

I don't think so if you know the etymology behind it: It's a portmanteau of Maine Coon, which romanized as Mein Kūn in Japan and is the basis for her previous forms' name as well, and software cracking.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Some guy is claiming this was one of Omegamon's initial designs, anyone knows if is true?

It would explain why one of Omnimon's alternate names is supposedly GaruruGreymon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
That's because they're not, they're more likely related to Omegamon Alter-B as its profile in the international version of Digimon World: Next Order states that it was originally an Omegamon Alter-S that was mixed with Black Digitron by someone, lost its mind, and became berserk.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

an armadillo into a boll weevil

Digmon's a stylized mole cricket actually.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

RealFoxy posted:

And yet afterwards she really doesn't seem any stronger than any of the rookies.

Only because 02 had the dumbass idea of nerfing her just so she could Armor Digivolve for basically no reason when they could and should have just made Nefertimon equivalent to an Ultimate Level Digimon. Yes, most Armor Level Digmon are equivalent to Champion but then we have Mangamon who's equivalent to Mega so Nefertimon could have been a great prelude to that.

And tri does fix this by having her punch Kuwagamon in the torso:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Then you have Magnamon who is consistently on par with its fellow Royal Knights whom are all Mega. The BioHybrids are also an unusual case do to them being hybrids meaning that they really should have been Hybrid level.

Burkion posted:

I think it would have been neat if she was stuck as Salamon instead, but you have to have brand recognition and stuff.

I have considered that as an alternative to nerfing Gatomon as well but I like the idea of Gatomon's Armor stages all being equal to Ultimate level just because it would make sense do to Gatomon herself being a Champion Level Digimon and the aforementioned Magnamon.

Overall though, I do wish that Digimon was more like Tranformers in that new gimmicks actually have a universal effect on the franchise the way that the Spark, Protoforms or the concept of Technorganics from Beast Wars and Beast Machines did.

Hybrids for example should have been the catch-all Level for human/digimon hybrids as noted before while the Hybrid Level species that were introduced in Frontier would've just had traditional Levels like Champion, Ultimate, and Mega.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Unfortunately, Adventure is like Generation One of Transformers in that people treat it as the definitive series for Digimon despite glaring writing flaws.

The difference though is that, while geewunnerism is a thing (and in fact the term geewunner itself comes from Transformers), Transformers fans are more willing to admit G1's flaws while Hasbro is more open to fully incorporate elements from later series into the greater lore, the most famous example being the concept of the Spark and Protoforms which were both introduced in Beast Wars and have been a staple in the franchise ever since, while Digimon's fanbase and Bandai continue to struggle with both of these.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 1, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

And then you have Hunters, where something that took half a season to accomplish (Super Evolution) becomes something everyone can do without effort (except Nene, because woman) with no explanation. And we have to add a retcon to make one of the protagonists use it (Damemon is his base form and needs to evolve to take what was his real form, sure, why not).

To be fair, Nene wasn't in Hunters plot in the first place, only ever being a cameo. The is made worse by the fact that Nene has two partners, Sparrowmon and Mervamon but only the former would be able to digivolve being analogous to either a large Rookie or and small Champion while the latter is analogous to a Mega.

Meanwhile Hunters' actual recurring female character, Airu, does have a partner capable of Digivolution, Opossummon.

And as for Damemon, there is a theory to explain that which I've come to accept as fanon:

The Golux posted:

They actually covered this pretty well in young hunters. I was initially annoyed at them starting to treat it as an evolution and a separate digimon suddenly, but it's pretty clear in the anime that Tuwarmon was originally the actual digimon, with Damemon being only a disguise, but after it was deleted, Yuu's friendship and whatever basically created Damemon as a separate digimon that was weaker than Tuwarmon but able to evolve into it.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

What if Pokemon changed half of its critters' names with every game? Like, not just changing them to begin with, "Charizard" is "Charizard" in one incarnation and he's "Flamedragon" in another? And what changes they do make have some reasoning and consistency behind them that the Digimon dub altogether lacks.

Here's the thing: Pokémon's localization come primarily from Nintendo, which has known for consistent localization barring stuff like Peach being called Princess Toadstool originally and even that was reconciled as her full name being Princess Peach Toadstool though her last name hasn't been used since SM64. I say primarily since the Pokémon Company didn't when the franchise started so while they might be involved in the process now, it's likely still the work of Nintendo for the most part.

With Digimon however, you've got names coming from not only Bandai of Japan but also Bandai of Asia who have their own localizations. This problem is only further compounded by another issue that needs to be remembered:

G-SANtos posted:

I just want to add that the name may have been chosen by people who don't speak English and may have used general romanization rules without knowing how it sounds like to an English-speaker, or not caring how it sounds in English. Some time ago, when I was researching the transliteration of Russian to Japanese, for Niko's article, I run into a text that was talking about the large use of English by Japanese people, and it mentioned some words having a different meaning of what they have in actual English. If I remember correctly, they use "stove" to refer to an oven. I think the article said something about possible confusion by American people or something, but I definitely remember that the article quoted a linguist saying "We don't care what Americans think of that" or "It doesn't matter what Americans think".
Also, Japan is among the worst countries in English fluency in the entire world. If I remember correctly, it has the 4th worst country losing only to Afghanistan and other two Middle Eastern countries. Japanese children also have low grades in English because they don't understand why they have to learn English or why/how it'll be useful in the future, and basically refuse to learn, which, honestly, is something I went through with Chemistry.
So, Japan is a society that not only refuses to learn proper English and uses English words anyway, but also doesn't care about what Enlgish-speakers think of how they use English. Also, according to that text I mentioned, being too fluent in English is seen as a threat, and Japanese children who come back to Japan after living many years abroad are sent to special schools that basically teach them how to be more Japanese.
I must note, though, that I think that text was written in the 90's, so I don't know how much things have changed in the 20 years, but given that Japan is not known to be a country that changes things easily, I doubt the situation nowadays is any different from the time the paper was written.
Frankly, I'm amazed by what consistency the franchise does have given thes circumstances because by all accounts, it should be a lot worse.

Without a consistent team for localization, you cannot expect a consistent localization. It's like how Tokyopop and Kodansha's localizations of Tokyo Mew Mew were very different from each other apart from some shared names like "Mint", "Lettuce", "Pudding", and "Kish" for Minto, Retasu, Bu-Ling, and Quiche respectively.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 27, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The problem is that it's not BoA or Saban making the calls 75% of the time (and I'm actually being generous by giving them 25% of the decision making control), it's BoJ and Toei who dictate just about everything in localization just as the latter dictated what Sentai series were used for Power Rangers prior to Megaforce (though Toei may still dictate what Sentai series Saban is allowed to use).

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

I think both Toei and Saban expected Saban to MMPR up Digimon and invent a whole new backstory out of the scraps, and as circumstances continue you can hear the Saban people throwing ideas away that they can't pretend anymore. They did a lot of "American Kids Show Must Take Place In America", until it completely contradicted what was seen onscreen and they shifted gears.

If they had a complete series in the bag when they started this, it would have been more professional. Digimon was running on a much tighter turnaround than Super Sentai where they had a complete season and could decide what pieces to keep or change their mind about late season scripts midway through.

I agree with this to an extent (baring in mind that Disney held the rights for a period of time) and can see that being the case since that was the practice of the time.

Kurui Reiten put it much more elegantly than I could but I would add that the three changes you noted make sense in context: Saban hadn't been told that Plotmon was a dog and thus assumed that it was a cat because of Gatomon since alternative dub name hadn't been proposed yet (the fact that Nyaramon is also feline-esque lends credence to this assumption).

Likewise, the name Layla derived from לילה which translates to "night" and is the root of the name Lilith. And as a bonus, there's a Persian love story called Layla and Majnun where the titular woman inspires an obsessive, maddening love which ties into Laylamon being the Demon Lord of Lust.

I would also note that those changing standards Kuirui mentioned are also why the new Sailor Moon dub is straight to DVD, a great deal of its content would not fly on TV today.

That said, I do think the others were too harsh to you and for that I apologize but you do need to understand that we've done considerable research on the subject of localization so we've seen similar assertions to yours many times.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 28, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

I just want some consistency, some kind of consistent standards. Especially now, years later and considering Digimon installments are often separated by years at a time these days, I don't think that's too much to ask.

And this is something I wholeheartedly agree with you on and not just on names. I would love for the Armor and Hybrid Levels as well as DigiFusion and Appmon to be incorporated into the null canon like how stuff from later Tranformers' series such as the Spark, Protoforms, Technorganics, and Mini-Cons were incorporated into its null canon.

I've even given ideas on how this could be done before (e.g. Level of the Digimon Armor Digivolving determine what Level the Armor stage itself is equivalent to, the Hybrid Level being used exclusively by human/digimon hybrid characters and is equivalent to the Level of the Digimon form's species, and any Digimon can used in an Armament Digifuse as the Armament's operator as long as you have the Digimon required to make Armament itself; the Appmon are fine as they are though and just need to coexist with Digimon).

quote:

Speaking of Jeff Nimoy, even he thinks combining three movies into one was a mistake, so. Whatever.

I don't think anyone actually thought that combining that three Digimon movies into one was a good idea, it was just something Fox mandated cause they wanted a full-length Digimon movie to rival Pokémon: The First Movie.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 28, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As stated before, that's the one thing I will completely agree with you on.

And Craptacular, while I don't disagree with that I would point out that the same can be said for Pokémon as well: It was created as a fad but outlived its expected expiration date because of the fan support.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Armor and Hybrids can just become Digimon of the appropriate level(like most Armor and H-Spirits would be Adult stage, while B-Spirits and Nefertimon would be Perfects for example), while DigiXros can just be merged into the Jogress concept, similarly Appmon can just become standard Digimon, as it's four levels line up fine with the four Digimon stages that matter(honestly if it were up to me I'd just get rid of the two Baby stages)

For the thirty or so original Hybrid level species I can see Flamemon and Stabimon being Rookie level, the eleven human warriors as Champion, and eleven beast warriors as Ultimate, the six advanced Warriors along with EmperorGreymon and MagnaGarurumon being Mega, and Susanoomon as an Ultra. But I would still keep the Hybrid level itself around for human/digimon hybrids like the Tamers' Biomerged forms.

Likewise Armor is not always so straightforward as there's also Drimogemon becoming Digmon hence the level-based equivalence idea so Nefertimon could be equivalent to Ultimate without necessarily being an actual Ultimate.

Combining DNA Digivolution with DigiFusion is fine since the latter was derived from the former. I simply wanted to talk about Armament DigiFusions as a subcategory of DigiFusions.

That said, I strongly oppose that last part since not only since getting rid of Fresh and In-Training altogether is not viable but as Razor noted, Appmon are not Digimon and should not be forcibly made into Digimon for the sake of close minded ignorance. It'd be like trying to argue that fungi should be classified as plants do to superficial similarities despite the fact that they are not closely related in the slightest. The cards can get away with that because they are not supposed to be canon in the first place.

Such large-scale changes need to have a logical basis behind them.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 28, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Cause that mindset has never failed before oh wait: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnMQoGU4Npw

Compare that to Transformers which, while not immune to bad decision-making, can compensate for that since the bad decisions tend to be exaggerated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL6rJ3OoG94

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You really should watch the videos regardless cause they make a lot of good points regarding nostalgia. Basically brainless cash grabs do not work, there does have to be some thought put into it. Case in point, He-Man and the Dreamworks Voltron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CYU-y8JL3k

Bottom line: You have to be both consistent enough to not be all over the god drat place which is what Digimon is struggling with and is also the problem Thundercats while also being flexible enough to expand the mythos and update it for a new audience which Digimon does have a problem with as well because it hasn't really expanded its null canon since Adventure and is also why He-Man and G.I. Joe continue to fail as reboots.

Transformers' success is because it has achieved the perfect balance of consistency and flexibility and Digimon needs that injected into its own DNA.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 28, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I mean Transformers the franchise as a whole, just the fact that you can name multiple thing that are part of the Transformers brand shows exactly what I'm are talking about when I say flexibility.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can do the same for Digimon as well tbf.

Only in the sense that it is not afraid to try new ideas like the Armor and Hybrid Level and Appmon as a lifeform or expanding on how DNA Digivolution works in the anime with DigiFusion.

However it has a problem with abandoning its new ideas after a period of limelight. We rarely see Armor or Hybrid level species in the games as are Fusion era Digimon while DigiFusion hasn't been a game mechanic since the Fusion era.

Compare this to Transformers where ideas like the Spark, Protoforms, Technorganic Transformers, and Mini-Cons are still used years after the Beast era and Unicron Trilogy have ended.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, the term's used in the new Robots in Disguise series; the 2015 cartoon not the 2001 cartoon. It has basically become the go to term for small Transformers.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's also no good reason why the appmon chip and the artwork of him would reflect two different designs, which is the case with absolutely none of the appmon and their chips so far.

I can definitely confirm this, at most you'll have different poses which has been a thing. The only time you get a full-on design change is for subspecies like Crowmon from Data Squad whose profile is the same as the original Yatagaramon except for the following changed line:

Digimon Reference Book posted:

Possessing three legs, it is a bizarre Bewitching Bird Digimon and a subspecies of Yatagaramon.
Besides, Agumon already has an official Appmon Chip:

Note that it's technically a Gatchmon Chip and is listed as such the official Chip Reference Book.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 13, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Burkion posted:

That's actually something I have experience with

Simply put, Gabumon has fur.

In practical effects, the only thing worse to work with than fur is feathers. It never looks good, it never works right, and it always looks fake as gently caress.

If you're dealing with scales or some kind of hide, it's way easier to make that look good.

It's a big reason why most giant monsters are some variant of lizard or reptile

It's assume that's less of an issue for a Muppet type creature since you're not going for realism in the first place.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It's episode 45, Legendary Battle!? Gatchmon VS Agumon!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Mienumon reminds me of Rita Replusa from Power Rangers, extremely popular with some of her plans even being successful despite her seeming incompetence.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

I still like both names. :can:

Same, we've had Digimon whose Japanese names are romanizations like Tyumon and Tyutyumon for Chuumon and ChuuChuumon.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 22, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Bare in mind that Bandai have never been exactly great at localization consistency either as they used Omegamon for the English version of Next 0rder and took two decade to correctly localize SnowGoblimon when normal Goblimon was correctly localized in Tamers.

To say nothing about Bastemon having two different dub names in addition to its original Japanese name which itself has been used in western media, most notably Cyber Sleuth which itself had localization shenanigans completey without Toei's help to my knowledge with the medals being arguably the worst offenders.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 22, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Honestly, I don't hate any of the Myotismon species designs and completely agree with MaloMyotismon being self-fulfillment for Myotismon.

And yeah, Boltboutamon and NeoMyotismon don't seem like end game bosses but they also weren't meant to be: The former is a fusion of Myotismon with Piedmon while the latter is part of a group of digimon that serve as warlords under the an emperor making them more comparable to Etemon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

I really doubt they're gonna bring Apocalymon himself back, when they've built up a new fusion as an adversary for part 6. I imagine half of the movie will focus on everyone fighting "RaguOfanimon" and then the latter half will have Meicoomon evolve into Razielmon and Tailmon into Holydramon to fight Yggdrasil with everyone else.

EDIT - no, wait. In part 6, Tailmon's Ultimate will change back and forth from Holydramon to Ofanimon and back again between frames, inexplicably.

The final shot of the Ultimates/Megas will include both Ofanimon and Holydramon standing on opposite ends of the line up, also unexplained.

If the World of dreams gets involved in this, you'll see Raguelmon and Rasielmon, Vikemon and Plesiomon, Omnimon and SkullGreymon, and Kari riding Magnadramon with Ophanimon and Falldown Mode on either side of them fighting side-by-side with the others against Azraelmon (my name for the fusion) with King Drasil going "...... You know what, gently caress it! You fuckers do whatever you loving want, I'm going back to bed".

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 2, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, the Shin Megami Tensei franchise is basically the ancestor of the entire Mon genre with all franchises in the genre being its offspring, Digimon just takes after both its parents the most with the other parent being of course Tamagotchi.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'll give you UltraSeven being an ancestor of Mon and a direct ancestor to specifically Pokémon but the basic concept of Mon apparently goes back to an Edo period card game called Obake karuta, one of the earliest example of Japan's fascination with classifying monsters and creating new ones as well as one of earliest attempts to categorize legendary creatures, label them, define them, and subsequently market them.

This also makes Obake karuta an ancestor of tokusatsu as well and a direct ancestor to the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise.

Shin Megami Tensei however was at least when the genre itself is recognized to have officially started and as such was and still is a major influence on the genre as a whole.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I figured that Keramon was going to suffer as a mode since the Rookies tend to with these figures but part of Keramon's charm in the first place is that it's a naturally :downs:-y little gremlin so that doesn't detract much.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 24, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Burkion posted:

Oh christ are they?

Her helmet and the wing ornaments on her chest are.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'm a lot more forgiving when it comes to writing issues since even Adventure, Tamers, and Data Squad all had their own flaws but I will say the Appmon is the strongest of the three in terms of concept and execution while Fusion and Frontier are about equal because both had interesting concepts but botched executions in different ways making them guilty pleasures for me.

I do agree with the idea of the kids combining to become EmperorGreymon and MagnaGarurumon and later Susanoomon in the final battle. And speaking of which:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Xros Wars is a mecha anime and has no issues making that extremely clear.

More specifically, Fusion is a Transformers series that centers around Combining and Binary bonding.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 18, 2018

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Regarding the PR comparisons to Fusion, that's because the Bagra Empire are basically Power Rangers villains where the main villain typically does very little themselves prior to the finale and all the action is done by the lieutenants (AxeKnightmon, Tactimon, Blastmon, Lilithmon, and the Dark Generals).

There have been exceptions like Mondo, Trakeena, Ransik, Dai Shi, Sledge, and Heckyl and Snide (I'm not counting Astronema or Emperor Gruumm since the former usurped the the main villain position from her boss during the finale while the latter was a figurehead for the actual villain of SPD) but apart from one off fights like between the one between Tommy and Lord Zedd, most main villains are more inclined to just devise plans that their underlings then carry out.

This is essentially what Bagramon does in Fusion as the D5 is explicitly stated to his plan, not his little brother's as AxeKnightymon's plan was to carry out D5 until the most juncture at which he'd absorb his elder brother and take over, basically what Astronema did to her boss Dark Specter in Space with the main difference being while Astronema succeeds because she used the Psycho Ranger to weaken Dark Specter, AxeKnightmon fails because he underestimated his elder brother who reveals that he was fully aware that AxeKnightmon was plotting behind his back and only allowed it to prove just how completely unfit AxeKnightmon is to be leader.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 19, 2018

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Have you... have you never heard of Getter Robo?

Zorak's video on Mecha genre was the I had heard of most of those series other than Gundam.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Reminder: WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon were designed as transforming toys first, the new figures are just the original ones with retooling to make them better.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Shield -> Shield -> Shieldman -> MirageGaogamon is a pretty logical line.

To be fair, it's meant to be a shield with an animal's face on it, not the handle in its back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

That’s pretty clearly an homage to MirageGaogamon though

Not deliberately:

Kenji Watanabe posted:

Mirage and TheiaRudo have different design concepts, but... since they're designed by the same person, considering the number of designs I do I guess some of them would start resembling each other, so hopefully I can be forgiven... or not (^^;;
Source: https://twitter.com/jinke_jinke/status/955014240225583104