Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Rudoku posted:

That and I wanted to see what Wormmon's Perfect form would be if the D.Kaiser didn't waste his crest making a shitmon.

It didn't exist at the time of 02 but probably this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

I would take "just sort of there and doesn't get to do much" over "body gets taken over by someone else entirely so she can get led around half naked". Both suck but one isn't actively offensive.

Those things all had the context of people coming from other dimensions.

The XW manga acts like they all happened in the same history. Which doesn't work at allllll.

I think it's less "all stories are true" and more "something like these stories happened in this continuity." Except for Tailmon and Wizarmon. That was pretty explicitly the Adventure characters.
When hearing about the XW manga it sounded like a lovely fanfic but I honestly enjoyed it a lot when I finally read it.

I've been reading RE:Digitize Encode and it's pretty slow. It follows the story of the game pretty closely at first but starts to branch out after the first Memorial Stella. And... then it went on hiatus. I hear it's coming back though.
Is anyone translating it? If not, maybe I should go ahead and do that. So far I haven't had too much trouble with it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

forbidden lesbian posted:

I don't know which series that is but the third one was so good and then the next series started and everyone was just annoying and I never watched another digimon again.

And now it's like 10 years later.

Savers is the G Gundam to Tamers' Evangelion. Also the main character is a delinquent with seemingly superhuman strength who punches bad digimon to make his agumon evolve.

the plot is by the same person who made the setting/plot for G Gundam apparently.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Want to re watch tamers, but haven't seen it since my childhood (English and Spanish). My question is what dub should I listen to? Japanese or English

Japanese. As far as the dubs go Tamers' isn't bad. It has a great cast and has some moments that are as well done as the original, but the original is the best experience.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

It and the "Digimon Adventure" with the giant Agumon fighting Parrotmon were promotional things they did for animation festivals.

No, they were part of normal double-feature anime movies. The animation is because of the specific people that worked on it, such as the director Mamoru Hosoda who also did One Piece Movie 6, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars (which is basically a longer Our War Game without the Digimon)

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 9, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I thought Xros Hunters was alright for a slice of life digimon show, and was pretty decent for a season that they found out they were making only a few weeks before Xros ended. Discuss how wrong I am

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The thing about the Ryo games is that they don't even fit up with the plots of any season despite trying to do so. Especially Tamers, where the writers just wrote him as just another kid from the Tamers world and let Bandai try to make it fit.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

All of the promotional stuff Toei has been releasing has English language versions, so I would be surprised if they stream them over here in some fashion.

Also the guy that leaked the plot of Ressurection F early has allegedly released the plot for the first tri movie. I'm taking it with a grain of salt but if it's true it's definitely not what I would have expected.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Most of the Warriors had pretty bad designs tbh

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Burkion posted:

What was that game?

A sort of re-imagining of the first Digimon World game but with a proper story and character designs by the Durarara/Devil Survivor guy. It's good and has a manga semi-adaptation that's running now.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The DVD/Blu-Ray for it is out on the 18th of December by the way. Also, happy Odaiba Memorial day (in Japan time)!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

I didn't with 02, but from what I remember it's most controversial thing was a time skip future that gave put weird put of character futures and sunk fanships with the canon-cannons. They can still rewrite that poo poo and the rest of the show happens, right? It was just a largely unnecessary "let's wrap this up!" idea that ought to have been left ambiguous.

That wasn't the main reason, it was just the icing on the plot hole-filled train wreck of a cake

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There's 6 movies, guys. They got defeated to show how strong the enemy is and to let the first movie be about the original chosen kids. I'm positive they'll show up fine in the next movie.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Bee posted:

I don't think I remember Meikomon. Which one is that?

Also I'm sad my boy Kuwagamon's undefeated streak is over. At least it sounds like he went down badassly.

Meikumon is a new cat digimon who is Meiko's partner.

Yeah... The spoilers do seem kind of like something a fan would make up. They're pretty inoffensive though. I imagine it'll still be enjoyable, just not a complete story.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Hosoda movies are great, Diaboromon Strikes back was alright, and the second Tamers movie was kinda fun. Everything else was less than stellar.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

If I recall correctly the jokes were actually mandated by the higher-ups at Saban.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

gently caress, I just realized Meicoomon is MAIne COOn mon.

Also I'm not sure which Digimon site you guys were talking about, but the first forum I ever joined was what I think was the biggest message board. It was owned by one of the translators of the show. I was 10 at the time, and a couple years later when it closed I moved the next big one. I'm pretty sure that's where I found out about SA, come to think of it. It was also the first place that linked me to goatse. Good times.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have watched:
-all of the first series I am pretty sure
-a good chunk of the second one (ditching your destined partner to create a cooler one made of bits and pieces of other digimon felt like pure loving evil to young me)
-a bunch of the third one

All of these in dub versions. Now, I hear that the dub butchers Mimi's character something fierce; that being said, I am considering rewatching them and eventually take a gander at the newer ones. Any recommendation on wheter dubs or subs are more appropriate?

I'll always have a place in my heart for the dubs but subs are without a doubt the way to go.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Burkion posted:

And honestly much of the early flubs are entirely because the dubbers didn't know what was going to happen later in the series, such as Mimi's nonexistent brother (the bad singing voice is an error on the ORIGINAL side, if you want to play that card) and what not. By the time of Myotismon almost all of those rough areas are gone, and you just have a really drat good dub especially for the time it was made.

The only real stumbling block is Apoclymon, where they super doubled down on the cheese because of what a disturbing character he is.

The Tamers Dub is superior, to me at least, if only for Steve Blume's voice work.

The Tamers dub really is pretty great, though it still is a pretty different experience from the original. I found that the jokes usually hit pretty well and in a few cases I think the dialogue in some serious scenes was better than the original. As far as accuracy goes though I think Savers/Data Squad is the dub with the least amount of creative liberties/added jokes.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

http://gematsu.com/2015/11/digimon-world-next-order-details-luce-taomon-gallantmon-crimson-mode-more

New character announced for Digimon World: Next Order. A little blonde girl named Luce.

Red Herring or we're going the SMT route?

That was actually in a scan that came out in October. Judging from the katakana in that scan the girl's name is probably something closer to Rouche or Louche, so I don't think there's any Louissa Ferre stuff going on here.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Every character in Code Lyoko looked like they had downs

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Omegamon wasn't even a jogress in the card game, which had jogress as a game mechanic since before the show started.
Anyway the 02 jogress are considered the official ultimate/perfect forms of the 02 partners because they didn't make other ones for them. In the D3 toy where they first appeared, each of the 2 partners you could choose from had their own evolution lines but required jogressing with the other to reach ultimate/perfect. Stingmon would become Dinobeemon and then later evolve to GranKuwagamon instead of Paildramon and Imperialdramon, and Angemon and Tailmon would become their normal evolutions. So while yes, Silphymon is considered Hawkmon's canon perfect form, that doesn't mean he can reach it without Tailmon. Not that it would matter with Tri anyway since they're already diverging from what used to be the "canon" evolutions by using Vikemon as Gomamon's mega instead of Plesiomon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Good thing MTV never watched Frontier or Xros Wars

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Buncha fuckin nerds itt

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Bandai seemed to give less of a poo poo than Saban did and neither were ever on the same page when it came to names. The dub at least tried to interpret the Japanese names most of the time, like actually calling the Cherubimon the right name, whereas Bandai seemed to have translators with a tenuous grasp of Japanese, frequently confusing B and P characters (example: ピヨモン (piyomon) as ビヨモン (biyomon)) and not even trying to change them into English (apokarimon or kurisarimon instead of apocalymon and chrysallimon)
When it comes to the mythology-based ones I don't blame them for not getting it right though. (agnimon to agunimon, hours mom to halsemon, etc) but that kind of thing still bugs me just because I've been romanizing katakana for over 15 years

I might be getting some of this stuff wrong though because I'm doing this all from my memory of being a 10 year old digimon nerd who practically lived on the internet.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

The main problem I am having is who cares if they have a consistent naming scheme or stay faithful to ~Japan~ as neither is going to effect any non weeboo fan.
Having a consistent naming scheme is kinda important for pretty much anything though. It's like if Pokemon called Charmander Charmander until suddenly one episode they started calling him Flamebutt. The early digimon dub did that pretty frequently, even in season 3 once or twice. Without even knowing poo poo about the Japanese version my 9 year old self thought renaming divermon to scubamon in the second season was dumb.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Fairymon sounds dumb as hell tbh

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, I'm just saying it sounds retarded. Like beetlemon

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I liked when the digimon fought each other and then they became bigger digimon and fought more and sometimes they won and sometimes they didn't but that's ok because they did their best and that's what counts. that's just my opinion though

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I wonder if they'll keep Vikemon as Armadillomon's mega now that they've replaced Plesiomon with him. And is there any word on if the weird digimental/digi-egg search feature is back? I never understood how it worked but I think it detected wireless signals or something?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Just because it works that way in some games doesn't mean it works that way in the whole franchise.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Izzy/Koushiro's friend who they said was Willis was actually just some kid who was never mentioned again. And there's no virus, Diaboromon is just an rear end in a top hat that was born on the web out of nowhere.

I'd still recommend watching it in Japanese too. It's largely the same but the atmosphere is different. On one hand, the original is probably an overall better experience. On the other hand, the scene when Omnimon forms and it starts playing Let's Kick it Up is awesome. In the original it makes it seem like some miracle, while the dub makes it's like "oh hell yeah, let's gently caress poo poo up"

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well, original for the manga I guess. The actual original designs from the virtual pets are the ones still used today.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

vivisecting posted:

First 10 minutes of Ketsui/Determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN4IfNxUHls

I love everything.

Do we know when CrunchyRoll is streaming it this time?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So is no one going to mention the fact that Imperialdramon got straight-up deleted? I mean, drat. I'm sure he'll come back somehow, but what a way to treat the big digimon evolution of season 2.

On a similar note, the way they talk about Ken makes it seem like they dealt with him before as a villain. "Why him again" I think is what Mimi said? I might be remembering wrong, but I think there was an interview with the director for Tri where he said the 02 kids not being mentioned was "part of the mystery." Maybe their involvement in the series got erased from the past somehow?
The government organization had a list of the 02 kids showing them as missing back in part 1, though, and a close up on Ken's name. Since their info was from Gennai, maybe they know stuff about 02 that the kids in Tri don't.

As for the new mega evolution method, it seems that it requires the kids to face their worst sides/personal situations and grow from it. I wonder if WarGreymon will evolve later, since Tai obviously is facing it the most.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'd say by part 4 we'll find out that Ken and the 02 kids are actually the good guys. ...or at least Ken is working with the government lady since she has so much time unaccounted for when going to Izzy's office and back while being aware that Ken was around, along with recognizing Ken despite him having his cool outfit.

...now i'm starting to think that maybe the 02 kids have been gone longer than we assume? we're all thinking that they were gone shortly before Tri to be taken down by Alphamon at the start, but what if they've been at the digital world for years or something? The guys just sorta know they're doing stuff and keep them in the back of their minds for whatever reason, maybe there was some soft of schism.

Determination was pretty great, outside of some bits that kinda reeked of money running out. Loved the more fun aspects going on now that it's done with introductions, and Joe and Mimi's arcs were pretty fun.

Oh god I just realized that World on the Knife is ANOTHER band Matt formed, so in between movies KNIFE OF DAY managed to break up. Please let this be a recurring thing, Yamato just loving up his bands and making new ones over and over until Taichi finally explains that he'st he wrong one.

Nah, World on the Knife was just the band club members that were performing for the festival. I hope I'm wrong though!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

If I never see the Royal Knights as an established group in a Digimon storyline again it will be too soon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

What I've pointed out about 02 is that it's the highest rated season with the most sold merchandise. As it stands, the only quantifiable audience that hates the epilogue is... people in America. Who are not Tri.'s primary audience. Who knows what Japan thinks?

I can show you the source on those ratings and merchandise stuff if you want.

I just don't believe in setting myself up to expect something that's probably not gonna happen.

Hello it's me a guy with lots of Japanese friends from Japan that watched Japanese Digimon on Japanese TV and most of them never bothered with 02 and even the ones that did prefer Adventure

I mean sure it's anecdotal evidence but at least it's something.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It'd be rad if it was just a huge fuckin dinosaur and not part of some kind of group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Pretty sure I saw the ratings back when I was younger and they went down during 02 compared to 01.
It's also a complete and total fact that more people in Japan know of 01 than 02. Butterfly is a pretty much a staple at karaoke whereas Target's unheard of, and your average person would be hard pressed to name someone like Daisuke or Ken as opposed to Taichi or Yamato.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 16, 2016