Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Oh I know and he isn't at all. It's just funny that people were worried he'd just bring that over to the Chiefs, and instead he's completely adapted the offense to the personnel, because oh what a shocker, Reid is a good coach.

Yeah. I'm super bummed the Chiefs didn't make it because watching them is like watching Eagles West with all the ex-Eagles on the team and they play like the team from my childhood. Oh well. Maybe next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

The Titans are awful. Blowing the team up and starting all over is the only answer. I can't think of a single positive thing from this season.

Single positive thing from this season: Lewan looked good before getting hurt

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Dunno about the giants. There were a few reasons to be optimistic going forward but most of this season was lost to injuries and the usual boneheaded poo poo the giants always do. They could be really good next year if the OL is anywhere near mediocre and the defense stays healthy, or they could be horrible if everybody gets injured and Eli throws a billion picks. But hey, the eagles have still never won a super bowl :toot:

Draft linebackers, gently caress the eagles, allahu akbar

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
The Redskins will suck again next year because the status quo is the same and will never change. Viva la raza.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I remember that brief moment a few years ago when RG3 was good and that RB they had seemed good and they were in the playoffs and then like in fulfillment of a curse the ephemeral hand of a thousand murdered native peoples reached and touched the knee of RG3.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I've never heard that before that's remarkable

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

troofs posted:

Draft linebackers,

You should know by now that they're never going to do that. How many years have they been trotting scrubs out there at LB now and pretending nothing's wrong at this point?

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Grozz Nuy posted:

You should know by now that they're never going to do that. How many years have they been trotting scrubs out there at LB now and pretending nothing's wrong at this point?

I'm hoping the last couple of seasons have proven to management that they should place at least a little importance on shoring up the middle of the defense. Maybe Kennard will turn out to be good, so there's that :unsmith:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Metapod posted:

Single positive thing from this season: Lewan looked good before getting hurt

And a high draft pick.

Also, Mett might not be the worst backup.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

MindlessHavok posted:

I thought Johnson looked good too. That rookie season of Freeman's was something else...cant really blame anyone for thinking they'd found the Franchise QB.

Freeman was pretty bad his rookie season. It was year 2 when he threw 24 TDs to only 6 picks and had 6 4th quarter comebacks that everyone was certain he would be the franchise, or I should say 'Free-chise' as the Tampa media dubbed him. Then Greg Schiano blatantly ruined his career out of spite. All the good stuff happened while I was working there so I remember it very well.

That said, here's a list of things that caused the godamn Saints to make me drink more than normal...

- gently caress Jimmy Graham. I can't remember where I was ranting about how how overrated he is before signing his new deal, but he proved me right. He padded his stats playing from behind in garbage time, but red zone drops and fumbles made him a major liability.

- The window is closing on Drew Brees. His deep ball wasn't that impressive for much of his career, but at least he could throw deep. Now, that's not something he's capable of at all. His decision making was also curiously bad this year.

- The defense suffered more than anything from not having Vilma's leadership on the bench. I think he was as critical to the team's surprsing success on defense in 2013 from the bench, as he was on the field. That said, his absence was noted as nobody ever stepped up in his place.

- The biggest detriment to the Saints offense was the underwhelming and oft injured offensive line. The team better commit to a quick rebuild before Brees retires.

That said, I truly believe that the franchise could conceivably turn it around for one more good run before Brees' right arm goes the rest of the way limp.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

The Titans are awful. Blowing the team up and starting all over is the only answer. I can't think of a single positive thing from this season.

Mettenberger had moments where he looked like he could be really good

e: Going back to the Texans playing a 2nd place schedule, I'm so glad the Chiefs beat the Chargers in week 17 to pass them in the standings even though the Browns didn't help the Texans. I'm a lot more terrified of the Chargers than the Chiefs

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Doronin posted:

That said, here's a list of things that caused the godamn Saints to make me drink more than normal...

- gently caress Jimmy Graham. I can't remember where I was ranting about how how overrated he is before signing his new deal, but he proved me right. He padded his stats playing from behind in garbage time, but red zone drops and fumbles made him a major liability.

He was also hurt pretty much all season. I'd also add Colston being uncharacteristically stone-handed this season.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Probably Magic posted:

And a high draft pick.

Also, Mett might not be the worst backup.

Intruder posted:

Mettenberger had moments where he looked like he could be really good

I didn't watch any Mett this season due to lol Titans TV coverage. But this doesn't seem too bad for a first year. Obviously those fumbles are higher than you'd want, but he can work on that.

Titans spend their last three 1st's on WR, OT, OG & their last three 2nd's on LB, WR, RB

5 of the last 6 top picks were spent on improving offense. Looking just at the stats, K. Wright hasn't been great, but not terrible considering his situation. WR's typically take ~3 years to hit their stride, so we should expect a big improvement from Wright next year based on his development and Mett not being terrible.

RB Sankey seems to have had a terrible season, but he didn't get many opportunities so who knows what he can bring in the future.

Football Outsiders ranked the Titans OL as 18th in running, and 26th in pass protection. Which makes sense. Their super good 2013 1st round guard prospect, Chance Warmack will be entering his third year, and their top 10 OT from 2014 will be entering his second. I'm unfamiliar with the rest of the OL but those two should start becoming real contributors.

Overall, again without having watched a single snap of 2014 Titans, there might be cause for cautious optimism. If they aren't sold on Mett they can grab whichever of the top 2 QB's falls to them. If they are sold on Mett, they can trade down from #2 for whatever team does want the second QB. That would be pretty sick nasty because then the Titans could grab WR Cooper or WR Parker (depending on how far down they trade). And still grab more OL help in the top of the second with all the great guards in this draft.

Of course this ignores defense which is ranked 29th by FO and 27th by YPG

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
With my limited knowledge of the Titans, at this point I'd still go with whichever QB is left at #2. This is a pretty sick free agency class so I'd look there to find other components.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Jerome Agricola posted:

He was also hurt pretty much all season. I'd also add Colston being uncharacteristically stone-handed this season.

Receivers start dropping the ball more when they get older.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Hand Row posted:

Receivers start dropping the ball more when they get older.

Yeah, I was sort of afraid that Colston might be done. He used to be such a lock for crucial first downs.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Well, the Bills are done, their playoff hopes dashed by an anemic offense too weak to outscore the likes of the Raiders. Now, their best quarterback, Kyle "Jack" Orton, has retired, leaving the Bills with only E.J. Manuel and Jeff Tuel on the roster.
So, how can the Bills be on their way to a wild card game against the Bengals/Steelers/Ravens next year(we all know little changes in the AFC playoff picture)?

1) Fix the offensive line
The Bills, not so long ago, were an offense that could run the ball decently. This is good, because it doesn't require the quarterback to do much. When your starter is likely going to be E.J. Manuel or <insert random veteran journeyman here>, it pays not to rely on them to win games. Unfortunately, the offensive line is bad. Specifically, the guards are garbage. The Bills need to invest some serious effort into rectifying this situation. Whether they acquire a veteran in free agency and/or spend a highish draft pick on the position, much needs to be done. The other spots on the offensive line suffer from thin depth.
This would be a very smart thing, because Fred Jackson, Anthony "Boobie" Dixon, and Bryce Brown actually seem like a pretty good trio(C.J. Spiller would seem to be the odd man out).

2) What's a quarterback?
Despite the tone of this piece, I don't entirely lack faith in E.J. Manuel. The way I see it, he hasn't had much time to get it together, and he hasn't been a dumpster fire while on the field, but it's fair to make him earn the starting job. You don't want to put your eggs all in one basket. So the Bills will need to acquire the services of a veteran signal-caller, some one who can start if necessary and can mentor E.J. and any other young quarterbacks we may have come summer time. By which I mean they should look for some one in the draft. You don't want to bet too heavily on Manuel or the Brian Hoyers of the world, after all.

3) Don't forget the defense
The defensive line is absolutely stellar, but Jerry Hughes is now a free agent and has certainly earned himself a big payday. Regardless of whether the Bills are ultimately the team which pays him, they could use some spare linemen. Schwartz rotates his linemen regularly to help keep them fresh, so the depth needs to be decent. I mean, ultimately, the only way you could replicate the play of Marcel Dareus would be by cloning him, but it would be nice if his understudy didn't suck.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I expect Colston to be cut. The only other cuts that can be made to regain cap are guys at positions of ridiculous need (Galette, Hawthorne, Lofton, Evans, etc.) with no one else waiting in the wings. It's pretty hard to justify keeping him around when you throw all sorts of money at Jimmy Graham and trade up for a guy like Cooks. At some point you have to hitch your wagon to young guys for better or worse and trust that Drew Brees is still good enough to get the ball to guys.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Well, the Bills are done, their playoff hopes dashed by an anemic offense too weak to outscore the likes of the Raiders. Now, their best quarterback, Kyle "Jack" Orton, has retired, leaving the Bills with only E.J. Manuel and Jeff Tuel on the roster.
So, how can the Bills be on their way to a wild card game against the Bengals/Steelers/Ravens next year(we all know little changes in the AFC playoff picture)?

1) Fix the offensive line
The Bills, not so long ago, were an offense that could run the ball decently. This is good, because it doesn't require the quarterback to do much. When your starter is likely going to be E.J. Manuel or <insert random veteran journeyman here>, it pays not to rely on them to win games. Unfortunately, the offensive line is bad. Specifically, the guards are garbage. The Bills need to invest some serious effort into rectifying this situation. Whether they acquire a veteran in free agency and/or spend a highish draft pick on the position, much needs to be done. The other spots on the offensive line suffer from thin depth.
This would be a very smart thing, because Fred Jackson, Anthony "Boobie" Dixon, and Bryce Brown actually seem like a pretty good trio(C.J. Spiller would seem to be the odd man out).

2) What's a quarterback?
Despite the tone of this piece, I don't entirely lack faith in E.J. Manuel. The way I see it, he hasn't had much time to get it together, and he hasn't been a dumpster fire while on the field, but it's fair to make him earn the starting job. You don't want to put your eggs all in one basket. So the Bills will need to acquire the services of a veteran signal-caller, some one who can start if necessary and can mentor E.J. and any other young quarterbacks we may have come summer time. By which I mean they should look for some one in the draft. You don't want to bet too heavily on Manuel or the Brian Hoyers of the world, after all.

3) Don't forget the defense
The defensive line is absolutely stellar, but Jerry Hughes is now a free agent and has certainly earned himself a big payday. Regardless of whether the Bills are ultimately the team which pays him, they could use some spare linemen. Schwartz rotates his linemen regularly to help keep them fresh, so the depth needs to be decent. I mean, ultimately, the only way you could replicate the play of Marcel Dareus would be by cloning him, but it would be nice if his understudy didn't suck.

hey guess what

now they need a new head coach

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Prorat posted:

What about Eric Fisher? I don't know if I hate him with all my guts or like him.

Shoulda kept the other guy.

Inconsistent because he gets thrown to like 2 times a game?

I don't like Fisher very much but we're stuck with him for at least two more years. I miss Albert too.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Browns got problems. They've always had problems.

Offense!

The offensive line was pretty good. It did really get bad when people started dropping. Even Thomas was playing like an idiot. But, hey, next year healthy Bitonio (A good draft pick), Mack, and Thomas should shore things up.

The two running backs they kept around were miles better than the guy we let go, all season. It was really amazing he stuck around that long. Crowell has the edge though, but slightly. They are good enough but not next level but poo poo, don't need next level to win.

Wide Receivers are small but can usually catch the ball. They seemed to get open enough, which was a big problem the Browns WR's had for years. Keep 'em around, but get an insurance policy pick to replace Gordon.

Tight ends? Cameron's great but Dray is good enough if Cameron doesn't last.

Quarterback. Let's just all admit that Hoyer was really lucky in his first set of games before he turned into a flaming turd of a QB. Dropped interceptions out the rear end, and a bunch of bad decisions/accuracy didn't bite the team in the rear end for a while. He doesn't always make bad decisions at QB, but his accuracy has been wretched. Manziel? I hear he's lovely but I have not seen him play more than one series. Yea, I didn't even get to watch the game where he started so I don't have any opinions on him. Shaw? Pfft. You want Frye part 2? He's not that great, other than playing good for being thrown into the fire. His accuracy isn't all that great either. He'd definitely 'improve' if he and his receivers had any loving clue what the other was doing- but still... not a good thrower. NFL should just straight up reserve a 1st round pick in each draft for the Browns to get a new QB until they find one that isn't lovely.

Defense!

The line overall is kind of poo poo and mostly the LBs are when it comes to stopping the run. Pass rush just fell off the face of the earth after week 5 or 6.

Cornerbacks, welp, that was a lovely draft. At least Skrine has improved enough were we can't just call him the Manchurian Cornerback. Once he gets the hint about the new PI rules, he'll be ok.

Safeties are OK but they need some fresh blood.

Farmer, I dunno. He seems to be OK but this was a lovely draft. Pettine? Too early to tell. I was really happy at his second half adjustments though for almost all of the season.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 1, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Browns insider just compared Winston to Roethlisberger.

Um...so all things considered...say that is his ceiling...say that you know (full well) that his baggage is going to be exactly that. Let's say two things happen

-The Tampa Bay Buccanneers for sure have decided to not draft the local talent in the form of the aformentioned Winston, and are going full in on Marriotta, he is not an option at this point.

-The Titans have somehow bite on the trade you offered, (which is two firsts this year, your second next year, and I don't know...Josh Gordon).

Do you bite on this?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If you think he's actually going to be Ben on the field and stay out of trouble then yes. But you'd better damned well be right on both counts and...well I don't think it'll happen.

The Ben comparison is a pretty common non-jokey one by the way. Also works well as a joke of course.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wouldn't. Especially after the way he's getting humiliated against Oregon. Florida State's SOS wasn't all that impressive and there are too many risk factors to give up that much.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wouldn't. Especially after the way he's getting humiliated against Oregon. Florida State's SOS wasn't all that impressive and there are too many risk factors to give up that much.

To me I'm just struggling to come up with a solution at QB, so I'm trying to entertain all options at this point.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

-The Titans have somehow bite on the trade you offered, (which is two firsts this year, your second next year, and I don't know...Josh Gordon).

Do you bite on this?

If your asking if the Titans would accept that trade then yes they bite on that trade. They would be stupid to decline that.
If your asking if the Browns would offer that trade then I would hope their FO isn't that dumb to do that just because that is a lot for one player.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp
What if his ceiling is Josh Freeman instead?

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

You give Johnny Football another year and pray he is either so bad you get the #1 pick in 2016 or good enough to start in 2016.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FuzzySkinner posted:

To me I'm just struggling to come up with a solution at QB, so I'm trying to entertain all options at this point.

Down the path you are considering lies RG3.

Honestly there's no good solution. I would bolster the rest of your needs and give Hoyer/Manziel another chance.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Only one man can save the Browns from Manziel next year...

Stick with Manziel.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Down the path you are considering lies RG3.

Honestly there's no good solution. I would bolster the rest of your needs and give Hoyer/Manziel another chance.

I'm leaning towards resigning Hoyer at this point. Say you're sorry, and say he's your starting Quarterback. Give him the drat money he wants and then swallow your pride.

From there I contemplate whether you keep Manziel or ship his rear end some where else. If you keep him? I don't think you have him touch the football until 2016 at the earliest.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm leaning towards resigning Hoyer at this point. Say you're sorry, and say he's your starting Quarterback. Give him the drat money he wants and then swallow your pride.

From there I contemplate whether you keep Manziel or ship his rear end some where else. If you keep him? I don't think you have him touch the football until 2016 at the earliest.

Cutting bait on a drafted quarterback after one year is the Brownsiest thing ever. Give him at least a couple. Hoyer is decent enough to be a top 20 Quarterback in the NFL, if inconsistent.

If he still sucks/doesn't learn after 2016? Absolutely, cut him and start over again, but one year is way too early to tell if someone is going to be bad or not.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't think this team under Hoyer is a serious enough threat to make the playoffs, and Manziel in his current state isn't worth much. Better to dump Hoyer and ride the Manziel train to a decent draft pick. Who knows, maybe a miracle happens and Manziel works out? Worst case if he sucks he'll take all the heat and earn a draft pick that can be used to replace himself.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FuzzySkinner posted:

I wouldn't drop JFF just yet. Keep Hoyer, make it clear what the pecking order is, and have JFF enjoy a year of being the backup. Make it clear that Hoyer is your starter and that your focus is on the team over an individual.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Ostentatious posted:

Cutting bait on a drafted quarterback after one year is the Brownsiest thing ever. Give him at least a couple. Hoyer is decent enough to be a top 20 Quarterback in the NFL, if inconsistent.

If he still sucks/doesn't learn after 2016? Absolutely, cut him and start over again, but one year is way too early to tell if someone is going to be bad or not.

I normally would agree with this but Manziel is loving terrible and will never be a good NFL QB. Probably won't even be a serviceable back-up. It doesn't help that he obviously doesn't even give a gently caress and take his job with any degree of seriousness.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

The problem isn't just that he's bad. He, Gordon, and Gilbert were called out by Haslam after the party and publicly told that if they don't grow up they're gone. There is a legit possibility that he doesn't make it to the regular season if he fucks up off-field again.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wouldn't drop JFF just yet. Keep Hoyer, make it clear what the pecking order is, and have JFF enjoy a year of being the backup. Make it clear that Hoyer is your starter and that your focus is on the team over an individual.

That's exactly what they tried to do this season.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sour Diesel posted:

That's exactly what they tried to do this season.

Until they hosed it up, but yeah the bottom line here is that Winston is a high risk pick and they have other needs that need to be addressed with those high picks.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The thing that I'm wondering re: Manziel, is this:

Is it a matter of environment or is it a matter of him just not being a pro QB?

The former can be fixed if he truly believe in it. Ryan Leaf could have been an All-Pro-type had he not just hosed around and studied the playbook.

The latter? Well both sides are hosed. Dude is going to be stuck calling games on the SEC Network if that is indeed the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
ryan leaf at least had the physical skills to be an NFL quarterback

• Locked thread