Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

mateo360 posted:

Ah The Dig. One of my favorite LucasArts games of all time. So much so that I ended up finding a copy of the book written based on it.

We had that in the library in my jr. high school. That was about the time that I learned about "video game adaptation" novels.

Also yes Steve Blum is our German scientist and Boston is voiced by the T-1000 himself Robert Patrick :) my siblings and I never got very far in this game as compared to the other Lucasarts adventure games but we still had a lot of fun with it, and it probably led to me developing my enjoyment of geometry and finding out about my appttitude for spatial awareness. Likewise it was likely one of the influences for my sister becoming obsessed with all things space and space exploration related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Non-EuclideanCat posted:

I do not. They might have done a graphical update when they released it on Steam.

whoa whoa whoa, this game is on Steam!?!?! poo poo I guess it won't be going to GOG

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

This is just my opinion but do you think you can change the text speed? Right now it screws with the rhythm of the dialogue and makes the deliveries more stilted and awkward sounding.

Then again, I never played with subtitles on, is changing the text speed an option?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

No Brink's actually a huge rear end in a top hat in general, he was just pretty reigned in when they were doing stuff in space because Boston's the astronaut with actual training and Brink and Maggie are scientists along for the ride. He could've acted like more of an rear end in a top hat in space but it wouldn't have gotten him anywhere since at that particular moment they were under a military command so acting out would be a bad idea.

Maggie is also fairly independently minded and that is made quite obvious in the opening press conference where they ask what it will be like taking orders from somebody else and she said that since it is a military operation she will follow Boston's orders. Now that it is no longer a "military operation" that means that Brink and Maggie can do whatever the gently caress they want and they don't have to follow Boston's orders and they have a point, he can't order them to stay together. Really I think Boston made the wrong move in trying to force her to follow his command when he has no real authority and given her personality that probably furthered her decision to go on her own way so that she could keep her independence.

That and video game conventions, even though Lucasarts proved with Sam and Max that having two characters together isn't a bad thing for these types of games

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Tiggum posted:

So, why is it no longer a military operation? What happened between when they first arrived and now to change that? Because when they first arrive Maggie seems perfectly fine with Boston still being in charge.

I think the easiest way to put it is that there is no military threat to either Maggie or Boston, they have to survive in a new environment and so far the only hostility that they have encountered was an environmental hazard. Maggie says herself Boston and her are more-or-less equals so there is no real reason for one to be "in charge" over the other. Since this bout of independence has come up from Brink digging himself to death maybe Maggie thinks that because Boston was still acting as the leader that it rose tension and caused Brink to act out, so she is taking it to an extreme and getting away from Boston so that that end result will not happen again.

I don't disagree that it is a pretty silly conclusion to come to but hey, people don't think clearly in these kinds of circumstances. Boston does have a reason to stay "in charge" in the same way that supervisors are "in charge", they are there to make sure that nobody gets hurt , step in if things get out of hand, and give the final say on executing a decision. As commander of the mission he has years of military experience working in stressful environments and he likely has a proven record of being a prudent leader, otherwise NASA would've sent someone else as the commander. But I can't say too much else without getting into spoiler territory

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah I wasn't asking you to turn off the subtitles since I know why they're on, I just wanted to know if there was an option to change the text speed. I had wondered because when Rocket Baby Dolls was doing the Monkey Island series the same thing came up. However that was the Special Edition versions so maybe those audio recordings were done a little better than The Dig was v:v:v

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I never actually got this far into the game when I was a kid :smith:

I remember knuckling down to actually make progress when I was like 13 or 14 but then I lost the game disk after I picked up and placed the mirror. I haven't played this game since then, so sad

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

considering the frustration the previous LPer for this game showed towards a later puzzle, I'm kinda curious if that one was actually easier for people to figure out

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I still laugh at that "I'm not gonna put my hand in there" comment :allears:. Boston is quite aware that he is in a video game at times, what with his uncanny guesses for solving puzzles

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Tiggum posted:

And how did Maggie get out of the web. One minute she's trapped, then suddenly she's standing up on the path.

I thought for that one she just got unstuck because the alien-spider wasn't perched over her anymore. Why try to break away when the thing that put you there in the first place is RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

If anyone's into Stargate let's just say that the life crystals operate like the sarcophagus (that they phased out after awhile but still) in that the more you use them the more your personality degrades until you are just this huge HUGE rear end in a top hat

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I was waiting for this point, harkening back to why I liked Boston's assessment of "I'm not putting my hand in there" you just KNEW we were gonna go back to it, also we needed a use for that jawbone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Thanks for making this LP man, it was short and sweet, sort of how I feel most LucasArts adventure games are (once you know all of the puzzles, of course) :unsmith:

• Locked thread