Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Samovar posted:

Hang on, hang on. Attila has a 1:1 chance of hitting Earth in Borneo, but a 99% chance of hitting Earth according to NASA?

I think it's a cover-your-rear end thing. Like, the computer says "yes this is guaranteed to hit us," but NASA knows that for as likely as it is for Attila to come crashing down on us there's that slim possibility that, say, a magical green man in a bulbous helmet will come from the future and turn it into an equal volume of marshmallow fluff, horribly violating conservation of mass but also coincidentally saving us all when it all burns up on entry. So, they say 99% chance so that in the event that no one dies a horrible death, no one makes fun of them for being jumpy and paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Tiggum posted:

Boston has an incredibly uncanny intuition for what alien stuff means and how to use it. Those "museum displays" were meaningless symbols to me. I would definitely have resorted to trying to use every inventory object with every other inventory object and every clickable thing in every scene by this point.

I got about a half a coherent concept out of each one. The rest was too abstract. Maybe if, say, the life gems were something other than a sparkly ovoid that could be represented more distinctly in a simplified form but as it is that could just as well have been an explanation of alien religious doctrine: "When we're born, we're actually just the revival of someone who died".

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
The thing about Maggie's linguistic skills bugs me. Reading a language and speaking it are two different things. Maybe I'm just nitpicking.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
And someone, I think Cagey McMothmouth, mentioned they get less and less effective as you use them. Time is sort of hard to conceptualize in an adventure game type shenanigan like this but I'd wager that insofar as they've spent any significant amount of time faffing around out here, Brink's needed to use the crystals more frequently to keep firing on all cylinders. That's going to make him even twitchier since he can't really say for sure how long his stash will really last him.

Is it just me or are these things basically a metaphor for cocaine?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

JossiRossi posted:

It is kind of funny how much of a jerk Boston is the whole time to Brink. Like at the end, Boston really does deserve to get his rear end kicked.

"Hey let's split the crystals."
"Actually, I'll just take them both, you weren't going to share anyway."
"Oh, and I need this part that makes your machine work too."
"Now I'll just turn my back and walk away because what could possibly hap-"

You know, I was going to make a joke about adventure game protagonists, but as I was watching the video it dawned on me that as the game has gone on dealing with Brink has been increasingly like dealing with an intractable, angry toddler, with the size and strength of an angry, angry man. Like, if Low was doing this kind of thing to Brink in the beginning when he was in full possession of his faculties yeah, that would be a giant dick move. As it is Boston is kind of responding to Brink's regression; ask any parent, about once a day you're going to have to play the "because I'm the grown-up and I'm bigger and I make the rules" card or else you're literally going to be stuck forever trying to reason with someone who thinks "I'm right therefore you are a poopy head" is a valid counterargument for your point. The only difference is, Brink can kill you when he's mad, and he's always mad because you won't do what he wants.

I feel like I've gotten off track because I think what I'm saying is Boston is probably a decent dad...

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Tiggum posted:

It makes no sense. Boston's on the ground, Brink is about to bash his head in with a rock, then suddenly Brink falls off the cliff for no reason. In fact, it looks like Boston is between him and the edge, so he not only has to fall for no reason, he has to fall over Boston without dragging him down too.

The writers weren't on their A-game that day and they couldn't think of a good reason for Brink not to succeed in killing Boston, because Maggie was too busy staying punched apparently, so they just had him fall over and die for no reason. Then they went back and rewrote his character to imply that he was slamming a crystal every time he felt himself start to come down from the high, thereby making him build up a resistance several millions of times faster than he would using them normally, so they could say he was too focused on killing Boston over two crystals to remember to take one of the several hundred he already had. Which wasn't actually a good explanation for why Boston was still alive at the end of that scene even if "turning childish, erratic, and violent" made for an okay antagonistic arc.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Thanks for the LP man, good fun.

I remember I played part of this game when I was a kid. I was convinced the Asteroid Lander game on your PDA was important but I could never beat it, so I never got anywhere.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Tiggum posted:

"You know that what the crystals bring back isn't life!" - No, you don't know anything. You have absolutely no reliable information. All you know is that Brink seemed to become addicted or something. That's it. What caused that? No way to tell, since he may have been exposed to any number of alien substances or technologies, or maybe the trauma of his own death and revival (after being unwittingly transported to an alien planet) just had a really bad effect on his mental state.

Sure, the alien who speaks in riddles says the crystals are bad, but he's pretty clearly not interested in giving useful or accurate information, and you have no reason to trust a word he says.

Occam's Razor, man. We know Brink's behavior only started degrading after he was exposed to the crystals. We know Brink didn't have access to anyplace Boston and Maggie couldn't go themselves; therefore anything he was exposed to, so was Boston at least. We know Boston and Maggie didn't start degrading, ever. Therefore, the conclusion that makes the fewest unfounded assumptions is that it was the crystals.

quote:

Also, Boston is trapped in Spacetime 6, right? The creature says that they can communicate because they're in Spacetime 6, but then back in "normal" spacetime they can still communicate fine. So Boston never got out, this is all some kind of illusion. The reason the aliens never got out is because they don't even know they're still trapped.

Obviously they learned English while Low was in Spacetime Six, because all minds communicate in perfect clarity or whatever. Haven't you ever become one with the universe and started speaking some other language? Keep up, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Sovy Kurosei posted:

The alien creator didn't really degrade like Brink either, though. Also Brink tried to start a mutiny within minutes of landing on the planet.

Drugs affect different people differently. The real problem with the whole plot point of the crystals is basically what Olesh said, but more scientifically literate: Our sample size here was two. We have one guy who started out as an rear end in a top hat and turned into a threat to himself and everyone else after being exposed to the crystals, and we have one guy who does nothing but make cryptic statements that approximately back up our observations of our single other subject. Basically he's being a cryptic rear end in a top hat because he thinks the best way to keep his creations out of the hands of people who might use them and doom their species the way he did his, so he's afraid if he tells us too much we might succeed just enough to gently caress ourselves over. Storywise they woulda been better off just having Maggie find his journal and experiment logs, which can't be asked questions and can't clarify what they mean.

• Locked thread