Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

In addition to "griefing" in the coming year (where you make games frustrating for other players) perhaps we can also do nice cool things for other players in games as well. Heck, maybe we can even share cool things that we find in games that benefit our brothers and sisters in Gaming.

Here, I'll start.

Far Cry 4:
If you're in a Co-op game with someone you can drop a weapon they haven't gotten yet (if you're in their game) and if they pick it up they'll keep it! Doesn't work with DLC weapons sadly. This is a cool way to give a hand up to a gaming bro and is a nice thing in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
In Kirby Superstar:

You can eat an enemy and poop them out as an ally for a second player to take control of.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
i am gay

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It isn't actually in-game, but on Steam you can go to the Store page of a game you really enjoyed (especially if its on sale) and see who has it on their wishlist. If you are feeling generous, get them the game! I've both given and received games on wishlists and its always an awesome surprise to get a new game! Christmas is over, but you can still get in the spirit and be nice to your fellow gamer!

There are a lot of LBGT friendly servers for games, for example TF2. You can go to these servers and bond with other players like you and it will be a safe place. Happy gaming friend.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I used to play a lot of both of the Resident Evil Outbreak games online, and running back to save a player who can longer walk on their own or busting in a door just in time to help someone out of a bad situation rules.

Also when the tables are turned and someone takes on the mostly invincible leech man monster with nothing but a push broom and spams the 'Go!' emote so you can get away safely.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

In GTA Online you used to be able to glitch out poo poo to help friends get cars they shouldn't be able to yet; is that still possible in any way? That'd be a cool way to help a buddy out in the new year.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Elite Dangerous:
If you see a fellow CMDR stuck in the mail slot then give him a friendly push out! They will thank you for it.
http://youtu.be/4ZCslw3Lgrk

7 Days to Die
If you see a fellow player sneaking into a gun store be a pal and shoot out the windows from afar to help him get in.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

In Payday 2 you can save an ammo bag for the saw bitch. They will really appreciate it; as someone who usually ends up on saw duty I can attest to this.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
I love the mastermind skill tree in Payday 2. Get fellow players off the ground instantly with inspire ace or bail them out of the drunk tank by making a cop give himself up.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
In Defence of the Ancients Two you can report other players eventually giving them a time out if they are reported enough.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The first time I got invaded in Dark Souls, I was like level 5 and the invader was wearing the best gear in the game. Figuring I was dead, I didn't attack him. Instead of immediately killing me, he followed me around the area and used encouraging taunts like "Hurrah!" and "Joy!" Before I got to the boss, he dropped 10 humanity, did a back flip off a cliff and killed himself. :3:

His kindness inspired me to provide encouragement to others in real life, and to eventually jump in a gorge.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
When playing Mario Kart in Grand Prix mode with another human being, I never use any offensive items against them. If I'm 2nd and they're 1st, I'll pass them if given the opportunity but I won't attack.

Whenever I see someone rage out in a MOBA (I mostly only play Heroes of the Storm these days, which is still in alpha so raging is even more ridiculous) I always tell them to stop raging and just play the game instead of riding someone for their mistakes, and tell the person being raged at to just ignore them and that they're doing fine. Usually that defuses the situation and keeps the game from turning into a complete clusterfuck with 2 or more people just yelling at each other in chat.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
one cool and fun thing i like to do when playing The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is to write down pro tips and tricks. when people are feeling frustrated with the game, because they are not getting optimal item combinations, I tell them of exciting synergies like Technology 2 and Tiny Planet, items which are arguably not very good on their own, so that they anticipate something fun in the future. I also like to write down good seeds and share them with my friends.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

In Dark Souls you can invade other people's games and kill them... but also help them out. :3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHNziRPHLWg

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
When I play League of Legends if a person was disconnected for a significant chunk of the early game and I'm laning against them I let them alone to farm for a while and get caught up enough to at least become useful.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

There are some very good anti-griefs in a sort of cult classic game that most people don't know about called Dark Souls, where you can join up with someone else on-line and engage in "jolly cooperation" (it's a quote from the game ha ha), and when mean jerks try to go into that person's game, since you're helping out the person, you can both gang up and murder the jerk. It's a really good feeling helping out a fellow gamer like that! :kimchi:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
When I'm tanking a low-level dungeon in World of Warcraft, and another player is doing things like attacking the wrong enemy, or not using their best abilities, I suggest a better course of action. The players might be new, or playing a class they've never tried so being a tyrant isn't the best option.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
In Battlefield 4 you can be a nice person and use your vehicle to ram people when they inevitably get stuck on the lovely geometry of the DLC maps.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Anatharon posted:

In Defence of the Ancients Two you can report other players eventually giving them a time out if they are reported enough.

Same with League of Legends. This is actually a really kind thing to do, because you're keeping them from playing a MOBA.

In the Final Fantasy games for SNES, a second player can input commands for some of the characters. It's better to game with friends!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

In the NES Classic Duck Hunt, a second player can use a controller to steer the ducks into the zapper shots, letting their hunter friend have an easier time impressing that rude dog.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

i am gay as well

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
something fun you can do in Dark Souls 2 , potentially without intent, is join someone's game as an invader. when you invade, they can use an item called the Seed of the Tree of Giants to turn all enemies hostile to you, instead of allied. If they do this, just clear the level for them :)

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
In Demon's Souls years back I made an unkillable monstroscity and would raid low level players, I had max health regen, three different shields with different resistances, a zweihander and claymore that lit everything on fire. I'd one hand the zweihander so I'd only do chip damage, but it'd still would throw them around the level. I'd spam the Demon's Prank spell that would make crazy laughing, splashing, and crashing sounds that unnerved new players. I'd duel and murder their helpers and beat them to an inch of their life, always letting them recover till they burned all their healing items, I'd spare the helpers too when I could.

When they would run in fear, finally showed signs of giving up, or gave a respectful bow. I'd gesture and convince them to open up their level for me, I'd murder every enemy in the level, set off every trap, drop dozens of healing items, max upgraded weapons, and thousands of souls. Then I'd shoot them a message explaining how to beat whatever boss we were in front of, which was usually the armored spider or the adjudicator for the high traffic zones. I really broke the game for a lot of people but I kind of felt justified if I gave them a good long duel, I felt like an actual stage boss preparing newbies for any pk or challenges ahead of them. It wasn't uncommon to get messages back in the day that I gave people their best gaming experiences ever. I put on quite a performance in those fights and it always surprised people that this geared up psychopath was ultimately friendly.

Dark Souls was kinda disappointing cause invaders couldn't be half as helpful. They took black phantoms ability to murder monsters probably for the obvious breaking potential, but it was fun dammit.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

something fun you can do in Dark Souls 2 , potentially without intent, is join someone's game as an invader. when you invade, they can use an item called the Seed of the Tree of Giants to turn all enemies hostile to you, instead of allied. If they do this, just clear the level for them :)
It's nice when that happens, but it's rare for that to happen.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Back when I bought Dark Souls, the first invader I ever ran into caught up to me as I was clearing out the church. He cheered me on and dropped a swanky shield for me which I ended up taking all the way to the end of the game. I let him kill me in return :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Mega Man 3 the second player can hold right on their controller to make player one impressively bouncy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

In New Super Mario Bros Wii you can pick up your friends and carry them across difficult jumps :)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

In New Super Mario Bros Wii you can pick up your friends and carry them across difficult jumps :)
But you won't, will you?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

But you won't, will you?

I don't think an agreement to actually help each other this time has ever lasted a single level, killing your friends is really fun in that game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

when you invade in dark souls, you shouldn't be dropping ridiculous items or loads of humanity/healing items or kill the enemies, because you are ruining the core enjoyment of the game, which is meant to be a difficult yet fun challenge. i hope this tip helps stop people from ruining peoples first runs through dark souls :)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
In Unreal Tournament 2004, you can toss freshly spawned teammates your Assault Rifle so that they can hold two Assault Rifles at once and have a good weapon for protecting themselves. It's always nice to help your friends get a head start.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

In Ocarina of Time, if you play Zelda's Lullaby it instantly repairs broken signs! If I ever accidentally break one, I make sure to fix it. Link is a responsible citizen :3:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
When I used to play Dota I liked to go Wisp and teleport my friends right into the enemy base so they could be part of the wonderment and joy of a new cultural experience, it was like a bonding session where the anxiety of a new relationship could be cast asunder.

Faerie Fortune posted:

In Ocarina of Time, if you play Zelda's Lullaby it instantly repairs broken signs! If I ever accidentally break one, I make sure to fix it. Link is a responsible citizen :3:

I'm playing through Ocarina for the first time and just yesterday I accidentally cut a sign I was trying to read. Where were you with that pro-tip when I needed you most :cry:

Seriously though, I had no idea about that one, pretty cool.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

In Grim Dawn like in other old Diablo-likes before D3, you can hand people items they haven't gotten yet since the drops are across all the classes so you end up with stuff you really don't need.

It'd probably have more of an impact if you couldn't currently just copy-paste a file into your game directory to give you any setup of gear you wanted in your stash.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I remember my buddy was going to buy Daikatana.

I told him not to. We're still best buds to this day :hellyeah:

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Heatwizard posted:

Back when I bought Dark Souls, the first invader I ever ran into caught up to me as I was clearing out the church. He cheered me on and dropped a swanky shield for me which I ended up taking all the way to the end of the game. I let him kill me in return :v:

I remember some punk trying to pull this poo poo with me. Went pretty much the same, except I shanked him dead as soon he started unloading his stuff. Got an angry xbox message afterwards.

Taught him a lesson I did. About life and poo poo.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kill the other player in Battletoads before attempting the jetbike levels. You'll be doing you both a favor.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I tried not killing the doctor at the end of The Last of Us and have him extract the girl's brain to make a vaccine but it turns out that the game won't let you progress unless you kill the doctor and take the girl back.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

I remember some punk trying to pull this poo poo with me. Went pretty much the same, except I shanked him dead as soon he started unloading his stuff. Got an angry xbox message afterwards.

Taught him a lesson I did. About life and poo poo.

I had a similar experience, got invaded by someone with ultra level gear who Ko'ed me in one hit despite me not being able to scratch his chestplate. Sent him a salty voice message accusing him of cheating, he ended up adding me as a friend and talking me through the finer intricacies of the game. Cool dude he was. Thanks for helping me despite my impotent raging.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

If you still have a Playstation 2 and you have a rad gaming buddy, I recommend you pick up Ratchet Deadlocked. It's got a nice co-op mode where you can go through the entire campaign helping each other out. Be sure to use helpful weapons like the Shield Glove, which can provide ample cover for you and your buddy! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

If you have a couple of guitar controllers and a copy of Guitar Hero 3, you might want to take the chance to go through the Co-Op campaign! Make sure to let your buddy have time with the lead guitar, don't just have them stuck playing Rhythm or Bass all the time. Through the campaign, you'll unlock co-op exclusive songs like Sabotage by the Beastie Boys! On some versions, these wouldn't unlock even with the Unlock All cheat, so you'll never really get 100% without doing this.

• Locked thread