Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I got married in June. I would also post your question in the Engagement and Wedding Megathread and you'll get some additional traffic from people.

- How did you search for your DJ/band?

The Goog. I was getting married in a different state, so I just did a search online, pulled out a bunch of candidates in the area.

- How did you decide after you searched?

I called each of them and got quotes, talked briefly with the people who gave me the quotes. I dunno, I found that speaking directly to the person who was going to be at the actual event was a lot more reassuring than talking to an admin assistant at the front desk of a booking agency.

- What were you looking to pay?

I had no idea, we were given a number but we'd never done this before. Obviously "as little as possible for quality" was what I was looking to pay. This was in New York (I live in South Carolina) so prices were astronomical compared to what I'm used to.

- What did you end up paying?

$3,500. It was a six piece ensemble for basically two 2-hour sets.

- Did you pay hourly or per event?

Only the one event.

- Did your DJ use lights? If so, did they charge extra for them?

Yes, no. Their setup came with everything included.

- How often did you meet/work with them to make sure everything was right?

Called the bandleader guy twice prior to the event to hammer out details. I explicitly told him "I've seen your demos and am confident in y'all, here's a general guideline for how the evening should go, go nuts". Basically he had to ask about technical details: where they would set up, what the space was like, whether there was sufficient electrical (there wasn't, the venue's handyman had to run a new line), etc.

- How far in advance did you book?

About 6 months. I recall (can't really remember now) being in touch in January because I paid tuition around the same time.

People usually balk pretty hard when I tell them how much of our budget we devoted to the band but holy shiiiit did they kick rear end. They closed their set for the night and after 50 people stood around whooping and hollering for 2 minutes, stopped unplugging lights and did an encore of Ke$ha's "Your Love Is My Drug". Brought the loving house down. We visited my in-laws for Christmas and the first thing almost anybody we hadn't seen since June talked about was our wedding band. They totally validated our approach to vendors which was generally hands-off and trusting. We had some broad ideas but just gave the real artists free rein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread