Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Builds
France: 3

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i know right

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Winter 1902

England
Builds A lon

France
Builds A bre
Builds F mar
Builds A par

Germany
Builds F ber
Builds A kie

Italy
Builds F nap

Russia
Builds A mos
Builds A war

Turkey
Builds A smy

It is now Spring 1902.

Deadline January 13th, 10 PM eastern.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Well, lookie there.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Hi somber!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Sorry to be a bother, but in the future could we get maps with the province names? If it's all convenient, it makes submitting orders so much easier for me.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Somberbrero posted:

Sorry to be a bother, but in the future could we get maps with the province names? If it's all convenient, it makes submitting orders so much easier for me.

Agreed, if possible.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

Yes, please

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ok

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Thank you PMom

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

If you want to send me confessionals by PM with your thoughts and plans and impressions, I will share them with the hordes of viewers and put them in a doc and you'll be able to see them after the game. That'd be nice.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

E: Removed by request

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 12, 2015

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Super interesting analysis, I was definitely looking at the board in a very different light. Are spectator posts common in Diplomacy games?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

You vastly overestimate me. :v:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Triskelli posted:

Putting myself on the list of potential replacements.

:ussr:Juggernaut is definitely likely here, Turkey and Russia obviously have some understanding for Turkey being willing to put fleets in the Mediterannean so early. I'm pegging Russia for being at the current disadvantage. Taking Vienna casts him in a scary light, and an army in Finland means he's willing to resolve the Scandinavian issue by force rather than negotiation. Builds in Warsaw and Moscow indicate he's going to be pressing south and putting more pressure on Austria, and potentially Germany very soon. The fleet in Rumania is going to be dead weight until the eventual stab against Turkey, and it's pinned there until Austria is put down for good.

Turkey is in an unusual position here, and I believe it to be a very strong one. Bulgaria is going to be an easy grab with smart play, and with a strong France beginning to probe the Mediterranean I'm not expecting much Italian interference. Despite that, getting into the Ionian without more fleets is going to be a risky gambit, and the bottleneck at the Dardanelles is always going to be a pain in the rear end. It probably won't make deep inroads, but promising Smyrna->Armenia would definitely make Turkey some friends on far corners of the map, and his current position makes it easy to maintain a defensive pointed north.

Austria is a puzzle. One of my rules for Diplomacy is for all of your armies to always be doing something, so Austria having two units hold position that would have been better served bouncing at Rum, Vienna, or Greece. The move to the Adriatic rather than Albania is especially galling, considering that better positioning might have let Austria recieve two builds this turn instead of none. Austria's survival will depend on some smooth talking and smart moves. Italy seems ready to help, but a proper retaliation against Russia is going to require ceding ground to Turkey if they don't want the White Army in Vienna to slip behind Austrian lines.

:italy:Italy is in a unique position. Normally the player in Rome has a few more turns to shore up the Mediterranean, but Turkey and France have already put fleets out. Though I think it is important to note that the SC in Milan does quite a lot to make a dangerous position slightly more tenable, and helps move Italy further West in a sense. Because of that, keeping Austria alive becomes that much more important. I would take a more antagonistic stance towards France, Germany will definitely be needing your assistance soon.

:france:France is just... whoof. It's obvious you're gearing up against Germany, and Germany's going to be a bit of a nut to crack. Neither of you are in proper position, but you have the advantage of not having as many fronts to fight on... not yet at least. Breaking into Italy's going to take some doing as well, and you'll need both fleets in the Med if you want to accomplish it with any reliable speed. And as always, three builds paints a target on you. Keep talking to England, he's going to be kingmaker in the F/G conflict.

Germany, you're doing well, if a little off-kilter. Classic bump in Sweden gets met with armies in Finland and Norway. The fleet in Berlin suggests you're joining the fight for Scandinavia in earnest, but it could just as easily be headed to the Heligoland Bight to take advantage of France's lack of fleets in the Atlantic. You definitely need to make overtures towards England, he absolutely would not be putting his armies in Norway unless he had a serious bone to pick with Russia, and he would need only a little help from you to seal the deal. Plus, an army in London means he's got designs on the Continent, and better it be used against the Frenchman than you.

:england:England probably has the broadest set of options here. France and Germany's fleets are pointed away from him as of right now, and St. Petersburg is only a concerted push away. I think Germany might have more to offer you right now, and unless France wants to half-rear end their Italian expedition you've got nothing to keep you out of his hair. For 1902 at the very least, you're riding on easy street. Don't gently caress it up.

I guess this is on me for not specifying it on the OP, but please no spectator posts commenting on the game/player strategy.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Somberbrero posted:

Super interesting analysis, I was definitely looking at the board in a very different light. Are spectator posts common in Diplomacy games?

I've seen them often enough here on SA, though I'm not sure Pintrest wants me coloring people's decisions. Not sure where viewers would be able to go see your own confessionals, but in the older versions of the hobby in fanzines you'd see analysis and after-action reports all the time. There's tons of neat analysis out there, the game's older and was more popular than you'd think based on its relative obscurity today.

I'd love to hear how you were seeing the board, but that'd be tipping your hand to the other players.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
At least someone knows what's going on, even if it's someone who isn't playing

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pinterest Mom posted:

I guess this is on me for not specifying it on the OP, but please no spectator posts commenting on the game/player strategy.

Whoops. Removed. Is there anywhere planned to discuss this?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I solemnly swear not to read a spectator thread if Pin feels like making one.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks Triskelli you haven't really helped Russia :/

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Chic Trombone posted:

I solemnly swear to contribute to a spectator thread if Pin feels like making one.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I dunno, a rich tapestry of other people's opinions creating a hell of a lot of paranoia might be amusing.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I've only played diplomacy once, and I steamrolled everyone as Russia, but that was more due to luck than skill - strategyposts like Triskelli's are really, really interesting to me. And since it's people I know playing, I'm invested in the outcome so I'd actually keep tabs on it :3:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I wish this game had something like Power Behind the Throne in Solium Infernum, where if you guess the winner at the beginning of the game, you win instead.

Man now I want to play Solium Infernum. Although given how long turns take here I imagine we'd finish a SI game shortly before the Big Game Queue is implemented.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love to give a yearly analysis if people enjoy it, but I just want to preface further discussion by saying my opinions are more based on decades-old strategy articles than on a wealth of practical experience.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Two hours to get your moves in!

Viewers: I'll get a Google doc set up where we can talk/comment about the game privately as soon as I have the time - probably tomorrow.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Any chance I can get an extension say 6 hours?

I'm at work and no access to stuff apart from awful app until 4ish hours from now

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bowmore posted:

Any chance I can get an extension say 6 hours?

I'm at work and no access to stuff apart from awful app until 4ish hours from now

Well that falls in the middle of the night for me, so how's 12 hours.

New deadline: January 14th, 10 am eastern

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Any chance we can make it three years from now?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks PMom

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mills posted:

Any chance we can make it three years from now?

I bet your teachers loved you.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

:getin:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Order Results:
Austria
F alb -> ion
A bud -> vie (Failed because Russia: A vie -> tri failed)
A ser -> tri (Bounced with vie)

England
A lon -> nwy (Convoy path taken: lon→nth→nwy)
F nth Convoys A lon -> nwy
A nwy -> stp
F nwg -> bar

France
A bel Supports A par -> bur
A bre -> gas
F mar -> lyo
A par -> bur
F por -> mao
A spa -> mar

Germany
F ber -> bal
F den Supports F ber -> bal
A hol Holds
A kie -> ruh
A mun Holds

Italy
F nap -> rom
A sav Holds
F tun -> tys
A tyr -> mun (Bounced with mun)

Russia
A fin -> lvn (Convoy path taken: fin→bot→lvn)
F bot Convoys A fin -> lvn
A mos -> sev
F rum Supports A con -> bul
A vie -> tri (Bounced with ser)
A war -> gal

Turkey
F aeg Supports A gre
A con -> bul
A gre Holds
A smy -> con

Fall 1902 deadline: January 15th, 10 PM eastern

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I don't think there was enough communication that turn. Or, perhaps too much communication. I have to say I didn't expect the board to split down the middle by 1902.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The old Norway reacharound...

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Bowmore is the devil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?