Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As a lovely US keyboard user, the compose key is fantastic for typing both accents and other symbols. Why was it never widely embraced?

A good compromise is the US-International layout, where typing things like é requires just hitting ' and e. If you want just the ', you hit space after hitting ' and the right Alt key acts as Alt-Gr for typing fancier characters.

The ISO layout is a disgusting piece of poo poo and good luck ever getting a decent keyboard without that layout when you're in Europe, your best bet is to just skip straight to mechanical keyboards.

Edit: VVV This guy knows what's going on. :hfive: US-International is also the de facto standard layout in The Netherlands and MS really loving needs to stop adding the Dutch layout as secondary standard layout.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

feedmegin posted:

'EU keyboard'? I thought each European country had its own keyboard. Mine has a pound sterling sign on it which I really doubt is on a French keyboard, and theirs go AZERTY instead of QWERTY, and when I lived in Norway they had their own weird thing with æ ø å but not, like, Greek.

This is correct. But some countries, like The Netherlands, have abandoned their terrible layout and started using US-International as default layout.

Here's the Dutch layout, the one we abandoned:

The last time I saw a physical keyboard that had this layout was over 10 years ago and even then, it was the first time in my life I'd seen one. My touch typing course, which was profoundly Dutch and halfway through the '90s, used the US-International layout.

However, Windows still "helpfully" sets it up as secondary keyboard type when you set your locale to Dutch. Imagine accidentally hitting alt+shift and then trying to enter a password with symbols in it. It's always a "fun" surprise the first time you install Windows or if you ever mess with the locale settings.

• Locked thread