Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Geemer posted:

This is correct. But some countries, like The Netherlands, have abandoned their terrible layout and started using US-International as default layout.

Here's the Dutch layout, the one we abandoned:

The last time I saw a physical keyboard that had this layout was over 10 years ago and even then, it was the first time in my life I'd seen one. My touch typing course, which was profoundly Dutch and halfway through the '90s, used the US-International layout.

However, Windows still "helpfully" sets it up as secondary keyboard type when you set your locale to Dutch. Imagine accidentally hitting alt+shift and then trying to enter a password with symbols in it. It's always a "fun" surprise the first time you install Windows or if you ever mess with the locale settings.

Back in the dark days between 2002 and 2006 I worked support for Medion. They managed to have a tiny amount of laptops with this layout, and it was always hell to support because users had trouble finding the right symbol keys, and the Windows image had a habit of being set to US International, or users selected it during installation(Many a Medion user installed a pirated version of XP Professional because it sounded like it was better than Home)

Supporting those was good fun if you failed to remember the model numbers with that layout.

Then again, this was the same company that managed to roll out an entire batch of desktop PCs with the same MAC address hardcoded in the NIC(we sent out firmware update CDs for this for about 3 years, or as long as we got calls about them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Belgian AZERTY is just a tiny bit different from French AZERTY, a bunch of the symbols are in different places(and key labels are in French on French AZERTY). This is hell if you're used to QWERTY, have to type on Belgian AZERTY and the physical keyboard is French AZERTY.

Also, the only reason Belgium has AZERTY is demand from the French-speaking part of the country.

• Locked thread