Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

*sees 50 new posts*

Thread still sucks but at least no one died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

because I'm a sad nerd I decided to look up his stats; and discovered that another Hattori ran in CART in 1999. He was second last in the championship while Shigsy was last: so I'm going to guess that he wasn't much better

Naoki Hattori was actually fairly respectable and a worldbeater compared to Shiggy.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

'73 was one of the shittiest years ever for racing in general, not even including the series of disasters at the 500. At least Benny Parsons got his title that year.

I don't remember anything about the 2008 Daytona 500.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Calling Carpentier, Hornish, and 2008 Jacques Villeneuve among "the best of the best in terms of talent from around the world" is a bit of a stretch.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The last time JV could be put in that category was 2000. Dude stopped giving a poo poo once BAR signed Olivier Panis to be his teammate and the team stopped revolving around him.

Hell, Jenson Button was thought to be a total lost cause when BAR brought him on board, and he kicked the poo poo out of JV and saved his career.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I always thought the crash at Melbourne in 2001 that killed a marshal hosed him up more than he would admit.

Forgot about this, but yeah I could believe that too. Especially since it was so similar to the crash that killed Gilles.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

british hockey can't be good

it just can't

The fact that Paul Bissonnette was one of the league's best players during the 2012 NHL lockout is all you need to know.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Kilonum posted:

5. 2005 United States Grand Prix

Granted, yes, it was a mainly European "race", but it was at an American track (Indy) and had mainly American fans in attendance but it was a shitshow from start to finish.

Oh, God. I was there and thought there would be an honest to god riot. That said, at least 95% of the vitriol was directed at Bernie, Michelin, and Max and I don't think it was very consquential to AOW as a whole.

At least Champ Car, in one of their few smart moves, offered free admission for anyone who presented a ticket stub from that race.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

But really, speculation about sprint car guys who could make it in Indycars when ICS' top feeder series can barely field 10 cars on a regular basis is really loving funny.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I want the Bill Weber and Rusty Wallace Experience.

Go all out if you're gonna have an awful open wheel commentary booth.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

he's no Kevin Cogan

I'd wager Cogan is more famous for taking out Mario at the start of the '82 500 than his pitlane wreck.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

That took me a minute. :haw:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

His collapsing everything at Bristol was the top engineering feat of the '90s as well.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Oh, great, 30 new posts. What are we fighting about this ti-- :yikes:

gently caress off, ICS. Just gently caress off and sell the whole thing to Smoke or something.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I knew about the Hawaiian Superprix but I did not know they were planning to put it on PPV :laffo:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I wonder how they did compared to something like 2000 WCW PPVs.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The paying customer count was also approximately 0 for a lot of races. The ALMS race smoked the CC race in attendance for their doubleheader at Road America in '07.

That Vegas street course owned, though.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Graham won in his very first ICS race 7 (!) years ago and has done jack poo poo since. Gonna say it'd make no difference.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Possibly Chicken posted:

Should have put the money toward an official game that isn't Grid or Forza. A well made indycar game would own.

This would've been a great idea and probably better for attracting new eyes to the sport.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm just saying that those two actually would market their games fairly well.

I don't think you'd get the same type of effort from those that are currently making the NASCAR series or Code masters IMO.

A Codemasters game would smite the poo poo out of anything EA made.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

Drag racing is something that I've never gotten into; it seems like a thing that's much funner to go see live than it is on TV.

Jesus loving Christ yes. Watching the nitro cars take off is about as visceral an experience as you'll ever have at a sporting event.

Also gonna nth the respect for Shirley Muldowney. The fact that she came back from a crash that tore off one of her thumbs and completely destroyed her legs makes her even more badass.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Immediately recognized the 2nd vid from Decade of Thrills II.

Happier video :unsmith: :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25hF4UtwTC8&t=67m

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Also respect to Darrell Gwynn in the same video. Dude would've had an awesome career had it not been taken from him.

Focus seems to be getting mixed reviews. Rotten Tomatoes must not know what Indy means.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

So we looking forward to the season opener today, guys?

Guys?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Pleased to see the Gillette Mach 3 style front wing on the Honda kits!

gently caress Everything, We're Doing Five Wings

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Bentai posted:

That's a really nice color combo.

Looks like an old-school McLaren. It'd be nice if they kept this.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

KingShibby posted:

That's a good point, but when a driver is voted Most Popular by fans, they need a ride no matter what

Someone get Rory Fitzpatrick an Indycar ride.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Newgarden's car is BOSS looking.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I bought a book called Rapid Response, about a CART Doctor, Dr. Stephen Olvey, does anyone have this book? :)

Yes, it's quite good. The Zanardi stuff and his chapter on AJ Foyt at the Daytona 500 in particular are awesome.

Also, safety measures including dirty rags as neck stabilizers and literal doors as backboards for dirt track practice sessions back in the day.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 23, 2015

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

TNO posted:

I drive a '08 Focus

:hfive:

I was looking at getting a brand new VW Golf back in 2011 before my Grand Am poo poo itself and forced my hand. I do love my used Focus though.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Minto Took posted:

By the way, Broadway Diner in Fortville kills them on tenderloins.

:agreed:

The Bank in Pendleton has some loving incredible tenderloins too.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

dumb rich people poo poo or something

motorsports.txt

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

/Hinchcliffe used it back in the day for some reason.

Crappies (ugh) loving worshipped Hinch and he actually posted a few times ribbing on Indycar back in like '06 and '07. They hate his guts now, of course. Gentilozzi also posted there IIRC.

I've come across quite a few drag racing forums that also fit the "Stormfront for racing" bill rather nicely.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 4, 2015

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's strange because current Indycar arguably resembles CART far more than the IRL.

Yeah but FTG!!!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I drove by John Force's facility in Brownsburg.

It's.loving. Huge. It's only real comparison in US auto racing would be where Hendrick is located.

Also across the street is RLL of all things.

Tons of drag racers have their stuff in Brownsburg. Don Schumacher's facility is enormous as well.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Nobody mentioned the Speraficos driving for Coyne. How dare y'all.

Also Takuya Kurosawa, who had a ridiculous showing at Long Beach in 2000.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Cubey posted:

gently caress yeah Newgarden :unsmith:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

American Open Wheel Racing hosed up by not trying to create an East Coast version of Long Beach.

They did try. They had a race a the Meadowlands that they tried to hype as a big deal and it didn't work because lol the Meadowlands.

And not having an east coast version of Long Beach is pretty low on the list of AOWR fuckups.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

devmd01 posted:

You could always go up to Anderson

No don't do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Petty helped run a car for John Andretti a few years back, so maybe.

• Locked thread