Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Alain Post posted:

I miss Baltimore.

Baltimore owned and was fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
ICS should come to Philly as a replacement. I imagine a nifty street course could be made around the art museum.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I live 2 hours from the Grove and I've never been. Shame on me.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
For *excellent* seats and a paddock pass, I paid over $100 for Pocono this past summer. These were, however, the absolute best seats at the track.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I was gonna go to the WoO race in July but my car was in the shop. This year for sure.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Peanut President posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya9AefieRxE Run these at every track for supports. It'd give me and viking something to watch anyway.

Um, this is extremely good poo poo.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
We're way more homoerotic than crapwagon.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Max caused Pastor to crash in Monaco in 2013, but it doesn't count because Pastor.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Honestly, I see a huge downturn of motorsports within the next 10 years, so it would just be going with the trend.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

IceAgeComing posted:

indycar is so much easier to watch if you aren't following the behind the scenes poo poo

It's like the mirror dimension of F1.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I have PTSD from Ryan Hunter Reay almost hitting me with a moped in the Baltimore paddock.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

are chevy's engines designed/built in-house?

No, I believe Ilmor does them.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

For anyone who's been to Mid Ohio, is the Grandstand or General admission better? I was going to take my dad to the Indy race there and we don't know where would be best.

The grandstand positioned right at the entrance to Madness provides an excellent view of almost half the track, but the GA spots on the hill right across from said grandstand is good too.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Yeah this won't be good.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Allegedly they're using the 25 million or so from Brazil on this.

I'm just a tad bit lost. What's the serious upside here? Do they think this will make people go "Gonna give this IndyCar thing a shot" in the same regard that "Days of Thunder" kind of helped NASCAR in the early 90's?

Indycar is actually spending money on this? Just kill the series now, this is too painful.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

bennyfactor posted:

The continuing adventures of ICS's clown college marketing squad:

Hahahaha I was at the Philly Auto Show, saw RHR's car, and the first loving thing I said was "Why the gently caress doesn't IndyCar atleast have a goddamn sign or ANYTHING."

They also had a old Indy Lights car, also sans signage.

Meanwhile, the Subaru display has their factory Rally team (U.S. based) with a driver giving autographs while footage from Sno*Drift plays in the background. Plenty of people were getting autographs signed. Did they know who this guy was? Almost definitely not, but they'll remember the time they got an autograph signed by a real live race car driver. Can't say the same for RHR's car.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So I'm watching the 1994 CART season since another poster is doing it and said good things. Just watched Villeneuve's crash at Phoenix :eek::stonk:

Those Reynard's are some drat gorgeous cars. Kinda makes me wish there was open chassis selection again

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I honestly have little interest to watch any F1 race from 94-04. Just wasn't a compelling era for me.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
This movie doesn't look too bad though.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I thought it was Biker Boyz

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Cygni posted:

Wait until you find out people can cheer for and support sports teams and stars even if they aren't good.

I live in Philadelphia and have seen this phenomenon for years.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Sure, I got no problem with that

It's when people start claiming backup secondaries would be all stars on a different team that I start to think they're delusional

This is way premature, but Marcus Ericsson in F1 is setting decent times at testing even though he was easily the most forgettable driver last year at Caterham. An all star? Probably not, but a different team and different car can really change things.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

sauber is pounding around on low fuel runs bc they're broke and it's basically the same car as last year so they don't have any troubleshooting to do

Like I said, it's premature.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I hope we get another 2013. That was my first season of Indycar, and it owned.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Cygni posted:

So SSM's primary is Arrow Electronics, which I've never heard of... but is #138 on the Fortune 500 with $22 billion in sales. Apparently they do industrial/commercial electronics with like assembly lines and distribution centers and poo poo. Guessing they will use SSM to sweet talk potential clients on race weekends.

e: Jesus, they are bigger than Goodyear, Kraft, General Mills, and like a ton of other huge companies and I've never heard of em...

There's a poo poo ton of companies like this. They make all the miscellaneous bits and pieces that are everywhere, but go unnoticed. Hell, did anyone know who Foxconn was before the scandal?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
*uncle

But yeah, I don't blame the road racing crowd for not wanting to do ovals. Bräck, Zanardi, Conway. All European drivers from road course backgrounds that had horrendous accidents. There's definitely a slight omen.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Cygni posted:

Cool: Honda and Chevy are telling people they already have 33 cars for Indy
Not-Cool: They are also telling people there are no more engines available and it will just be the 33 unless someone has a change of heart.

They really need to have more engines available and/or we need to get that 3rd engine builder.

To be fair, the last couple of years hasn't given them much cause to make any more than 33 available, but yeah we need that 3rd builder. A Dodge/Fiat engine would be neato

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
As a Philadelphian, if it's not on a long roll with cheese, it ain't nothin'.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

WindyMan posted:

I like how the Indycar TV commercial highlights the excitement of the series by showing snippets of the clusterfuck that was the GP of Indy standing start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JScR1ghr9Dg

Hey, if we're being honest, that holds alot of appeal for mainstream audiences.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
They did, it's called NASCAR Whelen Euro Series or something.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

sounds like Simona's Honda-backed seat at Andretti was originally meant for Kevin Magnussen, who pulled out when he had to "race" in Australia

Says who?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I was sitting behind a family at Pocono who were big Briscoe fans and were really excited to see him during the drivers parade. It was at that moment, a good 2/3 of the way through the season, that I remembered Briscoe was still driving.

George Zimmer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 27, 2015

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Theris posted:

The STDH thread is in PYF.

They had t shirts and everything.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Norns posted:

Oh cool. Sounds like qualifying is worth watching then.

Busy weekend. Not going to be able to watch the race live. :argh:

Speaking of, will this race be on WatchESPN or whatever their digital service is called?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Stream seems to be working again

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm not so sure its spun off, maybe more Tyco exploded and all the bits went everywhere and got acquired by 10 different companies.

A fitting sponsor for IndyCar.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Hey, even the Illuminati and the Bilderberg Group have a track day once in a while.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Are they not doing replays on NBC Sports Live Extra? Still haven't seen it.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Hahaha holy poo poo NYC is foam padded compared to virtually any other city in America. Hell, even Philly is pretty safe nowadays (well, compared to years past).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

He could have been full of poo poo, I don't know? That's what I got told.

I mean, weird subway people are a given in any city with a subway. They're rarely dangerous, just mentally ill :)

• Locked thread