Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

quote:

IndyCar 2015: It's in Jeopardy!

http://youtu.be/IjGJ9HKeeT4?t=9m23s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Baltimore was a good track, undone by the enemies of open-wheel racing: Train tracks, chicanes, and incompetency.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Let's talk about Actual IndyCar 2015 Stuff.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/112186-indycar-2015-aero-kit-q-a

quote:

Q. You're one of the few who has seen both manufacturers' aero kits on the track. Will fans notice differences from last season?

Tino Belli, IndyCar director of aerodynamic development: Differences between the 2014 Dallara chassis and the 2015 aero kits and between the Chevy and Honda aero kits will be quite easily spotted by an interested fan. Especially to someone who is interested in technology, they’ll see many differences between the cars. At speed and with different color schemes, it might be more difficult to see the differences.

It’s certainly not going to be a spec car, and it’s not spec even within the Chevrolet or Honda environments.

The Chevy might not always run in exactly the same configuration between a Penske and Ganassi car, and the same with Honda between, say, an Andretti and Schmidt Peterson Motorsports car because teams will have options.

Yessssssss.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

C'mon man, all race fans need a series they can collectively point and laugh at. It fosters a common ground among disparate groups.

I was under the impression that this was Formula 1

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

These are fair criticisms and not ones easily solved. IMO personally, the oval thing is my biggest gripe, I'd be a hell of a lot more interested in the series regardless of the car if it just had more ovals. That's what I estimate the biggest issue to be, and aero kits might be the way to differentiate the cars enough to get people interested.

History has shown that "just add more ovals" by itself doesn't work, though. It's only one part of the formula. You need good drivers, recognizable drivers, and a compelling race day experience for grandstand patrons, which includes full fields (24+ on short ovals, 30+ on super speedways). Only after you get all of those things can you afford to put more ovals on the schedule.

Then again, this has been the death spiral that IndyCar has found itself in: It can't add more ovals because it doesn't have the drivers or fields to make more of them viable, which means it can't attract the drivers or fields necessary to make adding more ovals viable.

I think the solution to this would be to throw more money at the ovals that are already there and make a Triple Crown or oval points championship extremely lucrative. Get the interest back from fans and drivers/owners, and then work from there.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

gret posted:

Have Stadium SUPER Trucks support every IndyCar race.

Brilliant idea, because that means IndyCar would have to have incorporate dirt sections and jumps

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Sweet race footage from 1998, bruh

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Will Power posted:

But if Firestone gives us a tire that degrades, there are more passing opportunities, more tactical variations, and it almost completely eradicates fuel-saving because the tires wear out quicker than you empty your tank.

I've been on this bandwagon for years. Firestone tires have been too good. If you make the tires run out before the fuel does, you make the racing better.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cubey posted:

remember how marco had intentions of becoming an f1 driver :laffo:

Formula E driver Marco Andretti

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

http://www.ibj.com/articles/51355-top-feeder-series-for-indycar-is-back-from-the-brink

quote:

The new [Indy Lights] chassis got a big boost last year when some of IndyCar’s top drivers—including Scott Dixon and Joseph Newgarden, who tested it—raved about its performance.

There’s even talk of some IndyCar stars racing alongside upstarts at select races on the Indy Lights schedule this year.

It wasn’t long before a host of teams was lining up to buy the chassis, including new entrants such as McCormack Racing, 8Star Motorsports, Carlin Racing and Juncos Racing.

Also, a number of teams and drivers fed up with the difficulty of getting into Formula One are now interested in Indy Lights as a way to find a ride in the IndyCar Series.

“One hundred percent of the success that Indy Lights is experiencing is due to Dan Andersen,” Daly said. “The series was about to die and would probably be dead if it wasn’t for Dan. He’s invested his own money and came in with a fresh view of how to build this series.”

I would immediately care more about Indy Lights if they had Buschwackers in some of the races. I mean, Road to Indywackers. Or whatever.

Bless Dan Andersen.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

My only fear there is that even given equal equipment, experience counts for a hell of a lot in racing. It seems like it'd be really hard to better identify the true up-and-comers if you end up with a lot of ICS drivers getting extra seat time.

The other side to that is you have the more recognizable drivers dip down for a few races, more people will watch, fans will start recognizing the up-and-comers sooner, and with the additional exposure, sponsors would be more willing to put up teams and drivers for a season. All of those things are super-important for the RTI ladder, particularly for Indy Lights as it tries to get back to prominence. Plus with how the Indy Lights schedule doesn't sync up with the IndyCar schedule in the same way that Sprint Cup/Xbuschwide does, it probably wouldn't be realistic to have an Indy guy run the majority, or even half of the Lights schedule.

Though I see your point. The Cup drivers that raced on Saturday and Sunday added value to fans and sponsors, but did make it harder for the second-tier guys to make a name for themselves. NASCAR sort-of addressed that with the points declaration thing a while back, at least.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't think this is a very good idea, I'm afraid.

I am also afraid. Afraid that you are wrong.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Get SST to also support IndyCars at ovals, have them build custom tracks on the tri-oval ala Global Rallycross, but with the added bonus of being able to go through the infield/over the pit wall. Also, for a guaranteed draw, cover part of the stands with dirt and run them up and down, just like they do in supercross sometimes. Not like those seats would ever fill up.

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt44eGML3gc

plus this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMq3cUxgcJc

equals IndyCar oval salvation. You're welcome, America.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

At this rate it would be the top of the ladder, since IndyCar will cease to exist in four years

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IndyCar 2015: It's in Double Jeopardy!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

AJ will stay alive as long as IndyCar does.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

KingShibby posted:

Allowing teams to just show up in May and race in the 500 is a joke and cheapens the 500. There should be a requirement that any one-off entry for the 500 is also required to race in the other Triple Crown races (Pocono/Fontana).

Just get rid of road courses altogether, in that case. IndyCar would be much more popular and relevant in America if it were an all-oval series.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/113037-indycar-series-working-on-contingency-plan-after-brazil-cancellation

quote:

With the March 6-8 event unexpectedly wiped from the calendar, IndyCar can either look to replace the race at an alternate site – somewhere in North America – or wait until St. Petersburg (pictured) on March 27-29 to effectively turn Round 2 into Round 1.

RACER has confirmed the series has spoken with Circuit of The Americas, which is set to host the Pirelli World Challenge opener on the same weekend Brazil was meant to take place, as a possible venue to start its season. Other circuits have also been contacted to gauge their interest and availability.

Lemons ---> Lemonade

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I wonder. If IndyCar has already received some/all money up front for sanctioning the Brazil race, might they take less than their normal rate to race at a place like Road America or Phoenix or <insert awesome track here>?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

theacox posted:

I'm just a lurker in this unbelievable soap opera

I like this analogy, except for the fact that more people watch soap operas than IndyCar

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Serious post: If you're new to IndyCar, ignore us doomers and gloomers. Once the season starts three weeks later than scheduled you're pretty much guaranteed to see amazingly good racing, parity between the big teams and little teams, the sexy new aero kits on the cars and all the fun that entails, Brian Barnhart loving something up/someone over, a great Indianapolis 500, and a championship that will go down to the last race because double points in Sonoma, lol Sonoma.

What I'm trying to say is, enjoy it while it lasts!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Actual serious post: It's going to be a good season, with some "fun" added in that we didn't expect a few days ago.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

I have a theory.

I think Hulman Co. is going to sell off IndyCar to Anderson, while keeping IMS (and Indy 500) because they like it. I don't know the year, but it will happen in the near future.

"500" will be an event sanctioned by them, and be outside of the series just like old times.

That's the beginning and end of it really.

I like this, but I'll want to wait to see what Lights looks like in three of four years before I get on board with your theory completely.

Then again, maybe the Hulmans are doing that, too. :tinfoil:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

You think they were just joy riding or is there something they're "testing" maybe?

Most definitely "testing" for the "Champ Car World Series."

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

KingShibby posted:

Holy poo poo Vasser even wore a CCWS firesuit

And I happen to like the sounds of the DP01: http://instagram.com/p/zArtRwhWDQ/

Oh goddamn I miss that sound.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

This seemed like a good idea at the time.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

gret posted:

Well he wasn't very good at turning left.

This is funny, but I feel very bad for finding it funny.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

This pleases me, because now I can once again refer to him as "James Jakes :c00lbert:".

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 16, 2015

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I've always wondered what an IndyCar hopped up on Red Bull would look like.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

So, how do we make the fields bigger? Seems like Indycar almost needs to be going after potential teamowners more than anyone else at this point.

There needs to be incentive for new teams, new team owners to jump in an field new entries. It would be easy to say this is a money problem, and it is, but the specific issue is that there needs to be demonstrable growth potential in the ICS. That way, people could get in now when it's still reasonably cheap, then ride the wave of growth.

Just look at Indy Lights. Even though owners are bitching about having to buy new cars, the field looks as if it is ready to expand. Expectation of bigger prominence in the future = value proposition for new teams to enter now.

The other thing is the pay-driver model. If you want more American drivers, you need to make it so good-but-not-great drivers with money aren't taking rides that good-to-great American drivers would be getting in a stronger financial environment. That fix is the more basic More Exposure ---> More Sponsors ---> More Money problem, which is a problem of a different sort.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I wonder if JR Hildebrand wears a Tag Heuer

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CactusWeasle posted:

Three-point-two-million bricks?

A yard of bricks

Hey-yooooooo

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I put drag racing in a specific bucket: Take one aspect of racing, focus exclusively on it, then take it as far as it can go, up to and beyond ridiculous. Drifting would also be in this bucket, for example.

Drag doesn't do everything that other racing does, but it does one very specific, very loud, very holyfuckmyspleenhasexploded thing extremely well.

ed-Come to think of it, this may be part of Indycar's current problems. Versatility is only a strength if every aspect of what you do is equally strong, and they're not back to that point yet.

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 28, 2015

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

be nice wicka posted:

any racing that hurts to watch in person is good racing IMO

You haven't truly lived as a racing fan until you've been killed by tires/debris from a high-speed accident.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Roger Penske is amused at Stadium Super Trucks.

Heads up, SoCal goons: The Long Beach Formula E race is April 4, SST is down in San Diego April 10-11, and then the LBGP is 17-19. I'm doing the triple, and I recommend you do as well!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Another Indycar 2018 piece from a sponsorship expert. A Good Read.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/114001-indycar-2018-by-bruce-delahorne-sponsorship-expert

I particularly like the idea of buying up advertorial time on Mondays. Hey everyone, look at the awesomeness you just missed. Better tune in next week to see it live!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IndyCar 2015: Drivin' it like they stole it!

(NASCAR 2015: Drivin' it like they were previously stolen but then returned later)

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Spaced God posted:

Turns out my aunt is one of the sponsors of Newgarden's Century 21 car. Neato.

Yeah, well my uncle works for Nintendo, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

e: Jesus, they are bigger than Goodyear, Kraft, General Mills, and like a ton of other huge companies and I've never heard of em...

Sponsorship works wonders for advertising brands.

• Locked thread