Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

I wish Al III would have made the show. Still don't understand how he didn't.

He's not good at racing cars, so that probably didnt help his chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

Was he worse than Marco and Graham?

By like a factor of 10. Seriously.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Universally, if someone wants to tell you their homercar master plan for 'fixing' IndyCar, it's gonna be bad + dumb

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Can we just gas this thread and start over

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rip flat Phoenix and flat, bizzaro indianapolis-clone homestead.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They would prolly take a ton of downforce off the cars to keep them from packing up, and then people on the internet would whine that the cars aren't two-wide and 5 deep the whole race and talk about the lovely IRL pack racing days like it wasnt dumb poo poo that mangled/killed two dozen people and allowed idiots like greg ray to win races.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Also didnt see it talked about, but Rob Edwards (of 'probably the only reason Tagliani/FAZZT was good and then also probably the only reason SSM was good' fame) has moved to Andretti to take Moyer's role, who went to Penske.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/112191-indycar-rob-edwards-replaces-kyle-moyer-at-andretti

Kinda feel bad for Hinch... SSM has lost the brains behind the whole operation and their best engineer over the last few weeks.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cavin reporting that Vitor Meira is trying to put together a partial season with some, believe it or not, Menard's backing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Andretti targeting 5 cars, with 4 cars sounding pretty certain. Lots of interesting names on his list, including Wilson, Jean Eric Vergne, Abt, Simona, and even Kevin Magnussen. If he can add someone like Wilson, that would go a long way to helping Honda this year.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/112268-indycar-andretti-aiming-for-5-car-honda-program

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think JEV is staying with Ferrari F1.
The talk is that the F1 teams want their reserve drivers 'sharp', and since they can't really test anymore, they might as well go race somethin. The bonus for the IndyCar team would be a good driver without having to pay them, but the F1 team would reserve the right to pull the driver back up if someone gets injured, though.

Ferrari letting their driver go run and develop a Honda, who they compete against in F1, seems strange. Even though the Honda IndyCar and F1 programs are completely unrelated, still seems unlikely.

Also go read Will Powers Indycar 2018. It's probably the most rational (along with Mario's) in the entire series.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/112274-indycar-2018-by-will-power

e: seriously just finished that and he nails every single point. WillyP for prez.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 8, 2015

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They've had a few races where it was a BIG deal, but generally it's a interesting tidbit but not much else. It's a hard game for Firestone, because if they make the reds go off too quickly, you have drivers/commenters on TVs talking about how their tires have gone off and are total garbage yadda yadda yadda... which is not really what Firestone is looking for when its spending millions on the series. Really the only series Firestone/Bridgestone still has any involvement in anymore, I guess.

And when you look around to the tire issues in other series over the years, I don't think the teams or series really want to drive Firestone off. So yeah, tough game.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, they punched that huge hole in the floor to try to counteract the downforce issue for next year. I think the floors are supposed to go to manufacturer design in 2016 though, so they will have to find some other way to limit downforce going forward if they end up doing that. Walker did mention that the series will continue to dictate downforce levels though, due to the Wheldon accident, so we will see how they handle it. They can always limit wing element sizes and the like.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The series has pretty good sized fields, good drivers, a title sponsor, good crowds at lots of races, incredible racing, engine competition, visually different cars (for race 2 at least), good leadership, and is breaking even. It's doing pretty drat good, certainly better than its been in well over a decade. There is really no doom left.

But there is probably never going to be some massive resurgence. It's just not likely to ever happen. 1975, 1980s, 1995, its all gone. Forever. Sorry. Just gotta be ok with that. It's those people that can't let go of the past that are whining on every comment section, but they are massive turd loser idiots.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Theris posted:

I'm worried the aero kits are going to ruin it. :ohdear:

...and I used to be looking forward to them.

Yeah, sorta worried too... there's that chance out there that they will look uglier and race worse, which would be pretty funny from the 'they just cant win' perspective at least.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Buzz Calkins was so bad. So so bad. My dad did their engines and was always sad to ship one to Bradley, knowing that it was basically wasted effort.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bob's Burgs is actually perty good and I weirdly saw that episode. I still dont get why people love Brooklyn 9-9. Welp this has been your television comedy rundown with me, the guy that posts too much in the indycar thread

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

First 'in anger' running for the new Lights car is tomorrow. 5 teams / 8 cars running at Palm Beach. Expecting 15+ for St. Pete.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/112443-indy-lights-five-teams-ready-for-first-group-test-of-2015

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Even F1/WEC basically has 'there are only so many ways to slice an apple' effect going on. The series puts development in a box and we end up with all the cars being the same, because thats the best way to go fast.

I guess all the indy oldtimers want what all oldtimers seem to want: everyone to forget everything they've learned for the last 30 years.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Alain Post posted:

I think race series overall are too concerned that a lack of parity will kill interest in the sport. I don't think this is supported historically at all. A race with 1 car on the lead lap can be better than one with 20.

Well, a race with 1 car on the lead lap hurts my interest in the race for sure...

That said, to your point, theres a whole category of racefans that are in it for the engineering side and dont really care about the actual racing. Racing is basically an excuse to spend a lot of money on a rolling carshow, for them. I think they are loving insane, but there certainly seems to be fair amount of them based on the really lovely tryhard comments I see on Racer and whatnot.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Alain Post posted:

Racing was more popular back in the days of "bad racing", though. Even 90s NASCAR has much less parity compared to nowadays.

I think that has way more to do with the times than it does with anything. I mean, the crowds didnt exactly flood out to support ALMS when it was running a more open spec.

be nice wicka posted:

like whenever the 500 ends with eight cars nose to tail battling to see who can be second to the white flag i think "wow what a great test of driver skill"

Same but unironically.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Same but unironically.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Racing is less popular regardless of the parity, though. Even bad series with lots of blowout races get bad ratings, there are plenty of bad ratings to go around for everyone!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

You can have "parity" if you want, the end result is usually the same; the best prepared and well-funded teams end up winning everything.

That's probably the best counter argument to non-feeder spec series, but its mostly when you completely take out engineering that you end up there. Great example is the ChampCar years where even the shocks were stock by the end and Bourdais winning everything.

Right now, IndyCar is at an incredible high point for competitiveness though and I've really liked the balance. 7 teams have won races both of the last two years, in 18-19 race seasons. Thats insane.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The blackout is really stupid.

They are real!

Hargrove fastest in the first session, everyone is just getting a hang of the car so it doesn't really mean much. Still cool to see em out there.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, my regular long beach tix are $83 for Sunday, plus ~$50 for a Sat GA and sat paddock. Probably one of the priciest tickets on the schedule, but they sure get a lot of people.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If theres racin near you, you should prolly go watch that racin. Thats 'Good Advice' if i do say so myself !!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hornish was good at IndyCars, but hes thoroughly mediocre at best at stockcars.

Also talking about him reminds me of the horrible creature that was Jack Arute talking endlessly about his loving soulpatch on IRL telecasts. gently caress that guy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dixon sounds like he likes the NOLA track, but it could just be PR pleasantness:

http://www.indycar.com/News/2015/01/1-14-Chip-Ganassi-Racing-first-on-track-at-NOLA

It really reminds me of Portland when I look at it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's weird how much people struggle with 'guy who is good at one thing might not be good at other thing'

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think the fact that the cars have nothing to do with each other and there isnt much money to be made in IndyCar has a lot more to do with it than any good will.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VikingSkull posted:

purposefully taking the series in the direction it went and leaving its roots behind wasn't accidental, but I understand some people have an uncontrollable urge to be contrarian to everything I post
And it happened 45 fuckin' years ago. Nobody cares anymore, not in dirt or IndyCar.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kits were finalized today, no word when they will officially come out for fans.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2015/01/19/new-look-indy-cars-finalized-but-show-and-tell-still-to-come/22027407/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/112620-indycar-chevy-honda-submit-final-aero-kit-designs-for-homologation_112620

Some interesting quotes in here about the aero kits. Teams won't be required to use the same aero config, with there being various removable high downforce bits the teams can choose to use. They can even choose to remove/add parts between quals and the race.

quote:

"To be honest, I've obviously seen a lot of what's there in the aero kit designs, and I think there's more choices than we ever had – even back in the Reynard and Lola days in CART," Belli declared. "I think there's more aerodynamic choices next season than there was even back then when everything about the cars were different. It's quite a departure and could take some getting used to."

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bhester posted:

Is this based on anything other than blind optimism?

Yes. 10 are already confirmed for the full season, with tons of other teams (Fan Force, Conquest, BHA, DMR, McCormack, Team Moore) still receiving their equipment. 15 looks like a conservative estimate for the first race, with as many as 20 being around for Indy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I like that instead of just running the Formula E race on the Thursday before or Monday after the LBGP, with all of the fans and facilities in place, Formula E decided to run the weekend before with a gimped track and no vendors. ~formula e~

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I know responding to Viking in this thread is stupid, but its not indycar holding up theoretical Cup/IndyCar dates. Walker said as much a few years back.

poo poo, Bernard even suggested running with F1 at Cota on Saturday.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rumor is that one or both of the roadcourse aerokits will be unvieled at the Chicago Auto Show Feb 14-22nd.

Probably won't see the completed oval course kits until later in the year, even though they are frozen too, because the manufacutrers are busy making the roadcourse kits first. They may show one of the prototypes though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

Munoz has seen the new kits and says that the car looks unbelievable as they’re “crazy nice”.
:ohdear: cmon cmon

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dyson is running the car and Chilton is absolutely better than the other 17 year old rich kids that are a lot/most of the field in Lights. I could absolutely see him winning a race.

Big cars? Eh. I guess if Huerta can win anything is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

My friend sent me an email about a sponsor not renewing, here's a huge trackforum post wrapped in faux concern.

Jesus Christ, does that guy get paid to write? That seriously might be the worst racing article I've read since the split.

E: lol every indycar article he writes is just him pouting about something and using someone else's quotes to try to spin a CATASTROPHE story. He's an idiot with a newspaper blog and bad ideas.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 26, 2015

• Locked thread