Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crap

what are some good books, to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slybo

http://wordsofdiana.tumblr.com/post/91074910977/corpsecaddy-so-i-found-this-harlequin-romance

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
if you're into history I highly recommend germania and danubia

also buried in the sky was a really good book about the 2008 k2 climbing disaster

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

a canadian bestseller

bwatts

dostoyevsky

ulvir

bwatts posted:

dostoyevsky

+ bulgakov and gogol and tolstoy

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
geek love is the last thing I read, it was good

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
It's about a circus family

dogcrash truther
What kind of books do you like?

dogcrash truther
Do you feel like a challenge our do you want something light and enjoyable or what

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I'm reading Paradise Lost again, it's p good

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

dogcrash truther posted:

Do you feel like a challenge our do you want something light and enjoyable or what

all reading is a challenge please dont be elitist

Pinche Rudo

First law trilogy

Check out the podcast - https://rudospodcast.co

bacalou

catcher in the rye

bog pixie

ive been reading 1Q84 and its pretty good so far

ulvir

bog pixie posted:

its probably the most controversial murakami book. a lot of people hated it, but I enjoyed it tbh

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

bog pixie posted:

hell yeah. also kafka on the shore and the windup bird chronicle obviously

Theglavwen

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Read some Wodehouse. Jeeves and Wooster are pretty funny.

cities

Le Grand Renard!
Fou des fous,
imbécile extraordinaire.
i havent read her new book yet, but a complicated kindness by miriam toews is one of my favorite novels. its a first person coming of age novel a lot like catcher in the rye told by a mennonite girl in southern manatoba. its based a lot on toews own life. if you like a strong 1st person narrative i highly recommend it. beyond the unique setting and voice, its the story of a dysfunctional family tgat really hits close.

cities

Le Grand Renard!
Fou des fous,
imbécile extraordinaire.

ulvir posted:

+ bulgakov and gogol and tolstoy

the double, the death of ivan ilyich, master and margarira and gogol in general all own and are worth your time

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

cloudy with a chance of meatballs

Al Borland

by XyloJW

Awesome! posted:

a canadian bestseller

hahahaha

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cities

Le Grand Renard!
Fou des fous,
imbécile extraordinaire.
if you want something gloriously pretentious, confrontational, obtuse and genuinely transgressive track down a copy of David Brittons Lord Horror. being savy internet we're not impressed or shocked by this kind of stuff, but back in the 90s lord horror was banned by the British government. its worth reading if only to experience a bit of counter culture history. i genuinely like the book and find it unsettling beyond the obvious shock

i couldnt properly describe what the book is about. one of the main characters is hitler, seeking a truly modern form of art, and lost works by schopenhauer, while his penis gains sentience and a toothy mouth and keeps growing

also check out: reverbstorm, a graphic novel by britton and John Coulthart in the same world.

gently caress yo high art

Awesome! posted:

a canadian bestseller

harlequin romances are a canadian institution. please dont mock my culture

pig slut lisa

irl is good

bog pixie posted:

don't get three quarters of the way in and then forget to keep going, like i did <__<

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom

Afro Doug

imo you can never go wrong with kurt vonnegut

cities

Le Grand Renard!
Fou des fous,
imbécile extraordinaire.

Afro Doug posted:

when i read cats cradle in grade school it was a revelation. still my favorite book

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i liked galapagos the best but yeah they're all great

yoober

Colonel Wood posted:

First law trilogy

those were alright but I didn't like the spinoffs as much

City of Glompton

Afro Doug posted:

I :love: him, he's good. my favorite is Sirens of Titan.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Piso Mojado

i am he

Brillo_Pad posted:

hell yeah. also kafka on the shore and the windup bird chronicle obviously

kafka on the shore is very byob

deep dish peat moss

I read kafka on the shore at oldBYOB's recommendation while I was visiting family for the last ever time and it was a fitting book I thought to read lying out by the pond on a summer night with fireflies all around.

Then I made the mistake of reading too much Murakami. Norwegian Wood was really bizarrely not-Murakami and also kind of, abrasively awkward at times.

I liked Dance Dance Dance a lot, I think. After Dark never seemed to go anywhere. I only got like 100 pages in to 1Q84. I think you're better off reading one or two, and then moving on.

Well, that's my thoughts.

pogi

I just read breakfast of champions. I was blown away by Vonnegut's attention to detail. Now I'm starting Generation Kill.

Slybo

I just had a chemical induced flashback to my very early grade school days.

not a happy time

deep dish peat moss

Afro Doug posted:

I went wrong with kurt vonnegut once when my "All fiction is boring" friend with no imagination asked me for a novel to read for a paper he had to write. I gave him Slaughterhouse Five because I feel like Vonnegut is divorced enough from what a non-Fiction reader imagines as "fiction" that he wouldn't be bored and he turned in a paper about the Dresden bombing.

deep dish peat moss

I finished Ulysses and hated every minute of it. I would rather be deaf than listen to an Irishman speak. Unsurprisingly I missed most of the references because I'm not interested in reading the classics and it feels weird to dedicate so much time to a book you're completely not the demographic for.

pogi

I love how Vonnegut gives his characters massive penises as a sort of consolation prize.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I keep trying to read Neil Shute's On The Beach, and having to put it down because it scares the crap out of me. it's so good, and he does am outstanding job of painting this bleak and hopeless world, but it's too much for me at times. that said, I recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I finished Ulysses and hated every minute of it. I would rather be deaf than listen to an Irishman speak.

That's the craziest fuckin thing I've heard in a while

• Locked thread