Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Welcome!

Welcome to the "retro sample year" marathon. This year it's all about the roots of games that became big icons in the gaming industry. And I'm not talking about Halo or Call of Duty. I'm talking the 80's. That's the 1980's. It was the golden era, and we believed graphics would never get much better than this. How wrong everyone was... and yet, some may say the games around then where better designed and more fun.

So the question is if that's true? Why don't we try it out? Welcome to the "retro sample year". It's the year 2015 and we're going to play games made about 30 years ago.

Remember, this is not a Let's Play. You are welcome to post screenshots or videos, but it's not required.

Participants

Nothing fancy, I'm not a wizard. Please post in BOLD HUGE letters when you finished a game, so I don't forget you.

See the full list here.

Games

- Sonic (Genesis/Megadrive II)
- Megaman (NES)
- Metroid (NES)
- Castlevania (NES)
- Dragon Quest (NES)
- Final Fantasy (NES)

Past marathons:

- Kirby (NES)
- The Legend of Zelda (NES)
- Super Mario Bros. (NES)

Rules

- There is no restriction to what version of a game you can play. Emulators are allowed.
- Save states are allowed, but only in moderation.
- You do not have to play the games in the order presented here. You can complete these games in whatever order you choose.
- There is no time limit you have to beat the games by. Participation does not end at the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I'm in!

edit: A little confused at why the google sheet lists 'Past marathons'? For the completionist in me, do I have to play some games from previous years to get green highlights there?

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 31, 2014

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Grawl posted:

- Sonic (Genesis/Megadrive II)
- Megaman (NES)
- Metroid (NES)
- Castlevania (NES)

ok yeah, this sounds like it might be fun and

quote:

- Dragon Quest (NES)
- Final Fantasy (NES)

:gonk: no thanks

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

That's it? why not put SMB, Kirby, and The Legend of Zelda on there too for anyone who missed the previous marathon?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I'm certainly in! However, if we're talking about the 80's in general wouldn't that open it up to a whole lot more games? Or are we doing just the hits?

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
I do enjoy these marathons myself - I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Gonna be putting some time into these. Did we land on if we are doing the first game of each series, or the best game, or our own choice?

• Locked thread