Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Making breakfast?
Being a loving father/mother to your kids?
Being a tender lover?
Could build all of the ikea furniture in your apartment without getting frustrated?
Who would win in a no-holds barred royal rumble?
Most likely to stiff you on a ounce of weed but you will still go to them because you know what they are ok dude whose parents own a jetski
Walking your dog?
Explaining which subs group is the best to get the evengalion rebuilds from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

My opinion

1. I would have to say Haruki Murakami easily takes this one

2. At first I was thinking pynchon but I'm not so sure because do I really want him to raise my children, what if he tried to teach them about sex by leaving out gravitys rainbow? Going to go with Faulkner on this one.

3. José Donoso but then again I'm sure that Frank O'Hara would keep things interesting

4.Stieg Larson

quote:

She drove to IKEA at Kungens Kurva and spent three hours browsing through the merchandise, writing down the item numbers she needed. She made a few quick decisions.

She bought two KARLANDA sofas with sand coloured upholstery, five POÄNG armchairs, two round side tables of clear lacquered birch, a SVANSBO coffee table, and several LACK occasional tables. From the storage department she ordered two IVAR combination storage units and two BONDE bookshelves, a TV stand, and a MAGIKER unit with doors. She settled on a PAX NEXUS three-door wardrobe and two small MALM bureaus.

She spent a long time selecting a bed, and decided on a HEMNES bed from with mattress and bedside table. To be on the safe side, she also bought a LILLEHAMMER bed to put in the spare room. She didn't plan on having an guests, but since she had a guest room she might as well furnish it.

The bathroom in her new apartment was already equipped with a medicine cabinet, towel storage, and a washing machine the previous owners had left behind. All she had to buy was a cheap laundry basket.

What she did need, though, was kitchen furniture. After some thought she decided on a ROSFORS kitchen table of solid beechwood with a tabletop of tempered glass and four colourful kitchen chairs.

She also needed furniture for her office. She looked at some improbable "work stations: with ingenious cabinets for storing computers and keyboards. In the end she shook her head and ordered an ordinary desk, the GALANT, in beech veneer with an angled top and rounded corners, and a large filing cabinet. She took a long time choosing an office chair — in which she would no doubt spend many hours—and chose one of the most expensive options, the VERKSAM.

She made her way through the entire warehouse and bought a good supply of sheets, pillowcases, hand towels, duvets, blankets, pillows, a starter pack of stainless steel cutlery, some crockery, pots and pans, cutting boards, three big rug, several work lamps, and a huge quantity of office supplies — folders, file boxes, wastepaper baskets, storage boxes, and the like.

6. Miguel de Cervantes or Tao Lin

7.David foster wallace but he can not come in the house to pick up/drop em off and I will mail his check.

8. I feel like Pynchon would have no idea right away, he would research and find out for me. I feel like its the effort that matters

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Why would Haruki Murakami make the best breakfast? I'm only aware of him because my sister keeps trying to get me to read Norwegian Wood

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Making breakfast? - Gertrude Stein

Gertrude Stein posted:

BREAKFAST.

A change, a final change includes potatoes. This is no authority for the abuse of cheese. What language can instruct any fellow.

A shining breakfast, a breakfast shining, no dispute, no practice, nothing, nothing at all.

A sudden slice changes the whole plate, it does so suddenly.

An imitation, more imitation, imitation succeed imitations.

Anything that is decent, anything that is present, a calm and a cook and more singularly still a shelter, all these show the need of clamor. What is the custom, the custom is in the centre.

Being a loving father/mother to your kids? - Nathaniel Hawthorne; he understood empathy and he understood kids.

Being a tender lover? - Walt Whitman

Could build all of the ikea furniture in your apartment without getting frustrated? - Borges

Who would win in a no-holds barred royal rumble? - No fair choosing Mishima. I guess I'll go with Hemingway. No, wait. Benvenuto Cellini.

Benvenuto Cellini posted:

Having got into the castle in this way, I attached myself to certain pieces of artillery, which were under the command of a bombardier called Giuliano Fiorentino. Leaning there against the battlements, the unhappy man could see his poor house being sacked, and his wife and children outraged; fearing to strike his own folk, he dared not discharge the cannon, and flinging the burning fuse upon the ground, he wept as though his heart would break, and tore his cheeks with both his hands. Some of the other bombardiers were behaving in like manner; seeing which, I took one of the matches, and got the assistance of a few men who were not overcome by their emotions. I aimed some swivels and falconets at points where I saw it would be useful, and killed with them a good number of the enemy. Had it not been for this, the troops who poured into Rome that morning, and were marching straight upon the castle, might possibly have entered it with ease, because the artillery was doing them no damage. I went on firing under the eyes of several cardinals and lords, who kept blessing me and giving me the heartiest encouragement. In my enthusiasm I strove to achieve the impossible; let it suffice that it was I who saved the castle that morning, and brought the other bombardiers back to their duty.

Most likely to stiff you on a ounce of weed but you will still go to them because you know what they are ok dude whose parents own a jetski - Rimbaud

Walking your dog? - Marianne Moore

Explaining which subs group is the best to get the evengalion rebuilds from? - Neal Stephenson

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Mishima skipped leg day all the loving time, he'd get dominated.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Making Breakfast - Karl Ove Knausgård. Eating too much at breakfast makes me feel sluggish for the rest of the day. I can trust Karl Ove to keep it simple.

Being a loving father/mother to your kids? - Saunders. There is a moral certainty in his work that makes me feel comforted. I would like my own children to have this sense of comfort. Plus I think he would have great "Dad" style jokes.

Being a tender lover - Bronte. I didn't want to look for the umlaut key, sorry about misspelling her name. Anyway I don't think she ever took a lover, so I bet she would be really slow and gentle. That would work well for me.

Building Ikea Furniture - Thackeray. This one is obvious.

Royal Rumble - Bataille. I think if you gave him an opening he would probably just flip out and kill people, you know?

Ounce of Weed - I want to also vote for Tao Lin, except I don't think he is an "okay" dude at all. He really isn't okay.

Walking Your Dog - Sorry, I'm not a dog person at all.

Evangelion Subs - Malcom Gladwell:

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

the black husserl posted:

Being a loving father/mother to your kids? - Saunders. There is a moral certainty in his work that makes me feel comforted. I would like my own children to have this sense of comfort. Plus I think he would have great "Dad" style jokes.

Good call.

the black husserl posted:

Evangelion Subs - Malcom Gladwell:

For a second I thought this was Georges Perec, who I would buy weed from, or allow to walk my dog

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
See? Georges Perec

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I think that actually is Georges Perec.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Can't be. He said Malcolm Gladwell.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

That's hosed up.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

In answer to all of the OPs questions: G K Chesterton.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

CestMoi posted:

I think that actually is Georges Perec.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Stravinsky posted:

Making breakfast?
Being a tender lover?
Could build all of the ikea furniture in your apartment without getting frustrated?
Most likely to stiff you on a ounce of weed but you will still go to them because you know what they are ok dude whose parents own a jetski
Walking your dog?

-Marquez
-that little fag Ginsberg, and I would whoop his rear end for it
-I'll take marquis de Sade for his advanced tactical knowledge
-flannery O'Connor
-sun tzu
-that little fag Kerouac, and I would whoop his rear end for it
-the meticulous Mr. Nabokov
-Pynchon obviously

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Murakami tricked you into thinking he was your breakfast man by describing how to make pasta for 3 pages straight. poo poo ain't hard nigga you boil water and put a Lil oil in, get the poo poo al dente. Now Marquez will whip you up not only a flawlessly balanced mole sauce but also a perfect cup of south american Joe with locally sourced cream

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Ooooh Saunders is a great call for being a good dad but I would pick Robert cormier for boys and Toni Morrison for looking after my daughters. If its a combo I gotta go with my main man Adolf Hitler of course

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Stravinsky posted:

Making breakfast?

Leslie Knope

quote:

Ray Romano

quote:

Being a tender lover?

G. K. Chesterton

quote:

Lena Dunham

quote:

His Holiness the Dalai Lama

quote:

Tom Wolfe

quote:

Walking your dog?

I don't have a dog. If I did, the answer would have to depend on what kind of dog it was.

quote:

Cory Doctorow

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Making breakfast?

Knausgaard and Murakami come to mind first because they go on for pages and pages, but let's get real here. Neither of them is going to serve up a real breakfast. I don't want a tiny European portion of gravlax and a light cigarette, and I definitely don't want loving natto while a cat stares at me. [b]Larry McMurtry[b], though, now there's a writer who knows a good breakfast: homemade sourdough bread, thick slabs of bacon, beans cooked up by some mysterious Mexican, whiskey in a jug, maybe a quick poke at the saloon right after.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Stravinsky posted:

Probably the dude who wrote Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance assuming the motorcycle maintenance was an actual thing he knew about and not metaphorical (I have not read it)

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Thats still Perec dude

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

-that little fag Ginsberg, and I would whoop his rear end for it

There is zero chance in me procreating (micro penis w/ phimosis, extremely ugly and gay) but I would not let him anywhere near my children

Murakami tricked you into thinking he was your breakfast man by describing how to make pasta for 3 pages straight. poo poo ain't hard nigga you boil water and put a Lil oil in, get the poo poo al dente. Now Marquez will whip you up not only a flawlessly balanced mole sauce but also a perfect cup of south american Joe with locally sourced cream

Are you saying you actually don't want pancakes with coke spilled all over them?

Earwicker posted:

Lena Dunham

There's no way she would not throw a tantrum while doing this

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 6, 2015

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

It actually turns out I once met tao lin at a christmas party a couple of years ago and the only thing I remember about him was that he kept hitting on underage girls and asked me five different times if I had any xanax

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Well did you have any Xanax?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
This is my favorite thread in the bookbarn, thanks Stravinsky

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
If I met Alan Ginsberg in real life I would beat his smug little rear end just on principle. I hate the beat generation so much

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

This is my favorite thread in the bookbarn, thanks Stravinsky

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I decided to do all sci-fi/fantasy authors for this, since that's 99% of The Book Barn anyway

quote:

Making breakfast?
J.R.R. Tolkien

quote:

Catherynne Valente

quote:

Being a tender lover?
Samuel Delany

quote:

Gene Wolfe

quote:

quote:

Jeff Vandermeer

quote:

Walking your dog?
William Gibson

quote:

Brandon Sanderson

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Stravinsky posted:

Making breakfast?
George RR Martin, hurr hurr hurr

quote:

Barbara Kingsolver

quote:

Being a tender lover?
Pablo Neruda

quote:

That Steig Larsson quote was so good. I'm gonna go with Neal Stephenson though.

quote:

Margaret "Motherfuckin'" Atwood

quote:

ee cummings

quote:

Walking your dog?
Farley Mowat

quote:

Neil Gaiman

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Fellwenner posted:

Well did you have any Xanax?

Yes and he knew it but no way in hell was I going to give him any.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

It's not that he saw it or heard it or anything but he was like a bloodhound when it came to pills

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Let's use exclusively pre-modern authors.

Stravinsky posted:

Making breakfast?

Giacomo Casanova

quote:

Snorri Sturluson

quote:

Being a tender lover?

Shi Nai'an

quote:

Herman Melville

quote:

Miyamoto Musashi

quote:

Cornelius Tacitus

quote:

Walking your dog?

Daniel Defoe

quote:

Niccolo Machiavelli

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Stravinsky posted:

Making breakfast?

William Carlos Williams.

Stravinsky posted:

Thomas Hardy.

Stravinsky posted:

Being a tender lover?

William Blake.

Stravinsky posted:

Maximimilian Voloshin.

Stravinsky posted:

Ernest Hemingway.

Stravinsky posted:

Christina Rosetti.

Stravinsky posted:

Walking your dog?

Germaine de Staël. :v:

Stravinsky posted:

Ezra Pound!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stravinsky posted:

Making breakfast?

William Carlos Williams

quote:

Beatrix Potter or Kenneth Grahame

quote:

Being a tender lover?

Tough one. Lots of authors might be good lovers but I suspect most wouldn't be attentive, tender lovers, just because they're going to be thinking about their writing too much of the time.

Edit: after consideration, Vladimir Nabokov, because of his attention to the small beautiful details.

quote:

Steig Larrson would've been my pick even without that amazing quote above.

quote:

Yeah Mishima is the obvious answer unless he disqualifies himself and commits seppuku over some trivial failure halfway through the tournament.

quote:

Knut Hamsun, except he's not an ok dude.

quote:

Walking your dog?

Obvious best and only answer is James Herriott. Loves dogs and if there's a medical emergency during the walk he's right there to help.

quote:

David Foster Wallace, no question.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 8, 2015

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Stravinsky posted:

It actually turns out I once met tao lin at a christmas party a couple of years ago and the only thing I remember about him was that he kept hitting on underage girls and asked me five different times if I had any xanax

this is the second story i've heard from someone who met tao lin at a party and the other one is like this too (also he wanted to know whow as "in charge" of weird twitter)

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

If I met Alan Ginsberg in real life I would beat his smug little rear end just on principle. I hate the beat generation so much

wish they wer ethe beaten up generation haha

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

dogcrash truther posted:

this is the second story i've heard from someone who met tao lin at a party and the other one is like this too (also he wanted to know whow as "in charge" of weird twitter)

hahahahahah

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I've never read any Tao Lin, but now I've heard these stories, I am sold.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

he used to post in this very forum actually

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Earwicker posted:

he used to post in this very forum actually

hahaha he posted pretending not to be himself. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3257918&userid=160190. Where should I start with this intriguing, and very cool, writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CestMoi posted:

hahaha he posted pretending not to be himself.

i used to work on barnes and noble's website and authors creating accounts to pose as "fans" or "reviewers" just people "looking for information" was sadly common. most of them were self-published authors of course not Literati like tao lin

• Locked thread