Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Ok, so books have words inside of them, that's true, but they're also physical objects (or were, until recently), and sometimes a good book cover or intriguing design can inspire you to pick up a book you'd never look at otherwise. The best covers and designs illustrate something important about the book. And sometimes, they're the only good thing about the book. Anyway, post some good book covers and interesting-looking books here, or talk about ones other people post. Here's some covers to get you started:

the last one is a cover for a book that doesn't really exist, http://www.montagueprojects.com/volumes-from-an-imagined-history-of-animals-architecture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I picked up copies of the non-Websters at thrift stores a long rear end time ago. The recent Pictorial Webster's is pretty rad. I want to post the covers of Asterios Polyp and R Crumb's Genesis but they are graphic novels and that's probably better left elsewhere

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
The Clockwork Orange one is cool because it's (i'm assuming?) a reference to the movie as well as functioning excellently on its own? When did that particular edition come out?

The Pictorial Websters looks rad as hell. I want to own that. They could've hosed up that cover in a lot of different ways, too (it's about pictures, so let's put lots of pictures on it!). That's a book cover that says "open me for good things."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I picked up copies of the non-Websters at thrift stores a long rear end time ago. The recent Pictorial Webster's is pretty rad. I want to post the covers of Asterios Polyp and R Crumb's Genesis but they are graphic novels and that's probably better left elsewhere

That first one is wicked, I'd love to have that book just to display it somewhere. Is it any good?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Some covers for volumes of Satomi and the eight “dogs”

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Haha that both owns as a cover and has a monkey smoking a hookah on it. I'm trying to imagine what the thought process was there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Its weird, some of my all-time favorite books I originally purchased entirely because I loved the covers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

War With the Newts

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Alhazred posted:

War With the Newts

Always wanted to read this. This cover makes me want to read it more.

The most recent issue of the New Yorker has a piece by Louis Menand about the rise of the pulp paperback which is very interesting in general and also discusses the way that pulp publishers gave pulp covers to more "highbrow" fiction. The 1984 one is kinda funny:

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its weird, some of my all-time favorite books I originally purchased entirely because I loved the covers.

Do you think you have a cover aesthetic that appeals to you? All of these strike me as being in the same ballpark (though I don't know jack about design)

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Sometimes its not bad to be on the nose:

:nsfw: http://i.imgur.com/tODsgnt.jpg :nsfw:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Speaking of pulpy covers, I really dig the covers for the Hard Case Crime line of books.

I've been known to import British versions of books because of superior cover art (to me, anyhow). Traitor's Blade is a good example. Here are the two side by side (UK on the left):

The same goes for Joe Abercrombie's books because the US covers have just gotten loving stupid:

I read a fair bit of fantasy, so I understand that bad covers are inevitable. That said, I hate when publishers gently caress things up mid-series. The Iron Elves books had visually-striking covers for the first two books, and then a big pile of poo poo for the third. It was kind of sad seeing the author try to be upbeat about it. Of course, they've since gone back and made equally lovely covers for the first two books.

And while searching for these images, I discovered that the artist for the first two did a cover for the third that was used during pre-publication press I guess, and it's pretty damned good:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

dogcrash truther posted:

The most recent issue of the New Yorker has a piece by Louis Menand about the rise of the pulp paperback which is very interesting in general and also discusses the way that pulp publishers gave pulp covers to more "highbrow" fiction. The 1984 one is kinda funny:

I actually bought this book because of the pulp cover:
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/h36Idpi.jpg

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

It's actually on the inside of the cover but its wonderful. From Blake's "The Book of Urizen"

For an actual front I think the 80s versions of the Virago Modern Classics (especially the Elizabeth Taylor novels) are aesthetically perfect

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

dogcrash truther posted:

Do you think you have a cover aesthetic that appeals to you? All of these strike me as being in the same ballpark (though I don't know jack about design)

Oh I definitely think I do. I like stark contrasts, winter colors, a single minimalist image, etc. It suggests the kind of reading experience I really enjoy. It also just appeals to what I love in contemporary art.

I've also grown fond of covers that are simply the title in a sort of dramatic font.

EDIT: The more I look at my book shelf the more I see its very much a modern trope of publishing. These are all books released within the last year or so

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 3, 2015

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

ths is the good book cover

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
For people who like book covers/designs, Peter Mendelsund's Cover is a good book. He's a well-known book cover designer and has done some great work, including The Flame Alphabet and The Bone Clocks.

He also has another book out that talks about design, What We See When We Read.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Tschichold

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

z0331 posted:

For people who like book covers/designs, Peter Mendelsund's Cover is a good book. He's a well-known book cover designer and has done some great work, including The Flame Alphabet and The Bone Clocks.

He also has another book out that talks about design, What We See When We Read.

Yowza. What We See When We Read sounds awesome. THank you for the recommendation.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Here's a book that I picked up because of the cover. It was a great book.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Can't really tell from the image but the actual letters are done in a cool metallic that goes from black to the same shade as the others to a darker blue

I like gimmikcy covers and often use that as my first point of interest when looking through the library

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I rather like some of the International covers of the Song of Ice and Fire books. They're at least better than the garbage gradient covers that we've been seeing recently.

There are some exceptions though...

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
The whole "series of books forms a picture" thing is nothing new, but there's still something appealing about the recent editions of Clarice Lispector:

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
The adaptation of the Persian Poem, The Conference of the Birds by Peter Sis. Found this last September on a book run in Chicago at Bookworks. Really nice store, has a lot of old paperbacks. Has some dedicated shelves on beat poets and lit. I was familiar with the poem but this looked like a weird edition of it which is why I picked it off the shelf. After cracking the spine and seeing the paper I could tell this was a special book. The one I found was a first edition, but found some hardcover editions of later printings nearer to home and the paper quality and binding was all comparable. The paperback edition isn't as nice though and you lose some of the rich texture in the illustrations and the paper.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
That's awesome it's like a less cool cover for Altered Beast

I never read the book but found a first edition of The Magus the other day at work and thought it was neat looking:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
The first burroughs book I ever read was cause it had a snazzy cover.

Was not disappointed.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Wow. That's a deviantart-quality cover right there.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
As a guy who works as a mover part-time, let me just say that books are loving heavy.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Speleothing posted:

As a guy who works as a mover part-time, let me just say that books are loving heavy.

My mover told me to get a Kindle.

Movers: Killing the hardcover/paperback industry.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Szmitten posted:

My mover told me to get a Kindle.

Movers: Killing the hardcover/paperback industry.

not to mention book covers just ain't the same on a kindle

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Book covers as an art form will probably fade away the same way album covers/booklets got wrecked by CDs and then digitization.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, a few of these may be reposts, either mine or other's (especially from the King Arthur thread I did).

From a 19th-century "exercise book":

From before furries ruined everything:

From back when illustration was a fine art:

And speaking of pulp, my favorite Steinbeck cover:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Some more covers I'm particularly fond of:

The Horrifying Presence and Other Tales by Jean Ray

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I literally bought this book simply because I fell in love with the cover, as an introduction to Murakami it wasn't necessarily the best choice I could have made, but drat if I don't still love it.

Even though I own a digital copy of We Have Always Lived in the Castle, someday I'm going to fork over the money for a 1st edition because it has one of the greatest covers I've ever seen.

And I also really like the cover for House of Leaves and how the interior pages are too big to be contained by the cover, much like the house itself, it is bigger on the inside.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

a kitten posted:

Even though I own a digital copy of We Have Always Lived in the Castle, someday I'm going to fork over the money for a 1st edition because it has one of the greatest covers I've ever seen.

They aren't terribly expensive unless you're looking for a fine copy; The Lottery and The Haunting of Hill House are the Jackson books that go for big bucks.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I hate the font, but this cover has always been particularly striking to me since I first saw it. This was a Victorian era novel.

The covers that first drew me to a couple of books. Fahrenheit 451 was already on my list of things to read, but I had never heard of the Great Gatsby or F. Scott Fitzgerald when I happened upon this cover in 8th grade.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

You like this one? It's ugly, boring and unoriginal. An inexplicable departure from the American cover, a custom work by the author's wife. Thankfully reinstated for the British paperback.

I also like this Gravity's Rainbow cover by comic-artist Frank Miller, apparently at Pynchon's especial request.

The first edition of Gaddis' JR is just beautiful. Big and stately and a perfect foil for the book's content

and there's a joke to the cover for A Frolic of his Own: a Rothko-ish painting by his daughter... when she was 12.

e: also, is hotlinking from bookcoverarchive.com leaching or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Mr. Squishy posted:

e: also, is hotlinking from bookcoverarchive.com leaching or no?
Not if OP has permission or owns that site, but otherwise.. he should update the images so we're not using their bandwidth.

• Locked thread