Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I got it during the steam sales and finally beat it with around 30 hours put in and i still need to go back for some more secrets. I beat grimrock 1 in like half that time - probably with more secrets undiscovered than in 2 admittedly - but this one didn't feel bloated or anything. It was just thoroughly really loving good in ways that the first game didn't even try for and i'm looking forward to the hopefully inevitable third game because i need more of this asap

post cool builds/parties/custom maps and talk about this incredibly good game, y'all. also don't use spoiler tags for secrets, we're not Games use spoiler tags, dingus

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Heavy Lobster posted:

I got it during the steam sales and finally beat it with around 30 hours put in and i still need to go back for some more secrets. I beat grimrock 1 in like half that time - probably with more secrets undiscovered than in 2 admittedly - but this one didn't feel bloated or anything. It was just thoroughly really loving good in ways that the first game didn't even try for and i'm looking forward to the hopefully inevitable third game because i need more of this asap

post cool builds/parties/custom maps and talk about this incredibly good game, y'all. also don't use spoiler tags for secrets, we're not Games

I respect spoilers for my fellow gamers.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
does it make you use 2-step shuffle?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

post cool builds/parties/custom maps and talk about this incredibly good game, y'all. also don't use spoiler tags for secrets, we're not Games

gently caress you. Thread locked until you learn some gamer etiquette.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I said as much in good faith that someone wouldn't deliberately be a dick about it and spoil stuff for someone who hasn't beaten, or played it yet, but ok

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

I said as much in good faith that someone wouldn't deliberately be a dick about it and spoil stuff for someone who hasn't beaten, or played it yet, but ok

Either you use spoiler tags and don't ruin the game, or you don't and they do. Do you have brain damage or something.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If there's any reason at all to play a single player game it's to figure the game out on your own. and if there's anything to learn from Games it's to not spoil that for people because otherwise why even play one. Jackass.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Why would anyone even think there's a middle ground. What the gently caress is wrong with this forum. Grow up.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Requesting a gas so the OP can think about his thread next time. Piece of poo poo.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I meant it in the vein of "don't let the thread become an unreadable mass of spoilers for people who haven't gotten to it yet" rather than "spoil all the cool poo poo for everyone" but I now know that I should have been more direct, and said what I meant.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
This game must be made entirely of spoilers because that's all this thread has been talking about

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

This game must be made entirely of spoilers because that's all this thread has been talking about

You can also play as a rat person, who brews potions and shoots guns. In fact, you can play as four all at once, if your heart desires.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Sweet, I've always wanted to play as an actual rat king

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

Sweet, I've always wanted to play as an actual rat king

Now's your chance, it's twenty bucks on Steam right now! You can also have minotaurs, lizardfolk, or insectoids on your team, and I guess humans too but they are the least cool. Minotaurs can take a trait that makes them stronger when they have skulls in their inventory, and it is really the tops.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
I got this game when it was on sale this weekend and it's pretty boss. I just went with the remade party because I just wanted to jump right in, the firearms skill us loving sweet, also there are more spells and and Melee characters can have special attacks depending on the weapon, it's so much better. You get so many options in combat that when you get in way over your head or ambushed, you can usually win if you're quick on your feet. Puzzles are what give me the most trouble, Im stuck at one that leads south following the river. Get it!

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

good to hear. really liked the first one, will probably like this as well.

also, wormskull needs to chill the gently caress out.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

liquid courage posted:

good to hear. really liked the first one, will probably like this as well.

also, wormskull needs to chill the gently caress out.

Yeah it's pretty much the first one but even better. That being said, it's not a sequel where the first becomes unplayable because of new mechanics and all that, and I think I am actually going to try that fairly popular Grimrock Master Quest custom map for the first one soon.

Also nah Wormskull was harsh but fair, it was a pretty dumb thing of me to post.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

If this was Games people would be saying things like "Oh, this game has been out for a few hours? Time to start posting unmarked spoilers! :razz:"

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

It's also got telefragging, which is pretty sweet. Yeah I would avoid spoilers as this game is still relatively new.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
is it possible to play through the first one without dancing around in combat like an idiot? i'm like halfway through it but i feels like i'm over-abusing the combat system and level geometry (and not in a fun way like in might and magic 6-8)

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

is it possible to play through the first one without dancing around in combat like an idiot? i'm like halfway through it but i feels like i'm over-abusing the combat system and level geometry (and not in a fun way like in might and magic 6-8)

You're playing it right. Enemies hit really hard and waiting for them to expose themselves is part of the flow of combat. If you get swarmed or are in cramped spaces things can go south really quickly, so using terrain to your advantage and knowing when to stand and take hits at chokepoints is a big part of what defines being good at Grimrock combat.

There are a few enemies later on that are much less susceptible to your square dancing and in 2 there are even more, but they do it by punishing you being sloppy at it, so definitely keep it up and try to push how much you can get in before things get unsafe.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

God drat, my first mimic scared the poo poo out of me.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I was playing this with a pad of paper and a pencil but I lost them somewhere so I don't feel like playing anymore. See ya.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Wormskull posted:

I was playing this with a pad of paper and a pencil but I lost them somewhere so I don't feel like playing anymore. See ya.
lol were you playing on Old School Hardcore Fucker mode?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bobby The Rookie posted:

lol were you playing on Old School Hardcore Fucker mode?

Yea.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Actually I just remembered I started taking personal notes and redrawing maps and poo poo about halfway through this, so nvm.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think I'm missing whatever map I was doing of the woods which is where I am in the game so...Yea.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Are you talking about the first area before you get to the hub zone?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Are you talking about the first area before you get to the hub zone?

I don't know.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
is it on sale? i didnt beat grimrock 1 yet. should i do that first?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Grimrock 2 is a lot more manageable to do the no map run than the first one, I think. G1 had you running back and forth in a labyrinth looking for some hidden door that opened for too many of its puzzles and it was really easy to get turned around and lose your train of thought. G2 uses more discrete dungeon wings and landmarks and as a result is way easier to navigate once you get your bearings.

Wormskull posted:

I think I'm missing whatever map I was doing of the woods which is where I am in the game so...Yea.

There are only a few woodsy areas and they're either ones you visit constantly and don't need a map for after a short while, or the first one you visit which is small and you won't come back to. I have faith in you finishing this cool game.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

THE PENETRATOR posted:

is it on sale? i didnt beat grimrock 1 yet. should i do that first?
Grimrock 1 is good and it's got a hilarious final boss but you could probably just play 2.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Yea I guess I don't really look at the map much after I've drawn it anyway.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Grimrock 1 is good and it's got a hilarious final boss but you could probably just play 2.

i mean i actually paid full price for grimrock 1.. i should get my mopneys worth out of it at least?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i mean i actually paid full price for grimrock 1.. i should get my mopneys worth out of it at least?

No.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
this game is really good in a sense but it managed to enrage me on a deep level and it's bad for my blood pressure whenever theres anything like the leprecaun or the smug wizard king or frogs that rob you or traps that teleport you into the middle of a pack of zombies or sliding puzzles that do seemingly nothing besides unleashing golems at you

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I enjoyed grimrock 1 and then everyone said it was bad and I just can't have that again, my heart can't loving take it.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

well poo poo!!! ok.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Do whatever you feel is best, man. I'd probably be tripping over myself telling you to play it if I hadn't also played 2, but you already own 1 sooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

No Such Thing posted:

I enjoyed grimrock 1 and then everyone said it was bad and I just can't have that again, my heart can't loving take it.

Almost all the things that are seemingly competent callbacks to older things are actually revealed to be bad after the initial nostalgia has dried up so just get in while it's hot.

• Locked thread