Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hi
This poll is closed.
hey 28 39.44%
hows it going 43 60.56%
Total: 50 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
bosses that exist to own people who don't care how the game works own

everyone knows matador

alma is midgame but she'll gently caress you up if you don't know what to do in ninja gaiden black

ghiraham will own you if you don't bother using the sword controls right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

People seem to have trouble with minotaur in SMT IV; I guess it's a gateway boss if you don't know how to abuse the press turn system?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

what to do in ninja gaiden is spam the swallow move so alma is easy. whew.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

or flying sparrow whatever.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

mysterious loyall X posted:

what to do in ninja gaiden is spam the swallow move so alma is easy. whew.

wait what, which weapon is that on

i was stuck on minotaur in smtiv and then my 3ds died and gamestop wouldn't let me transfer my saves so now i gotta start over :(

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Here's how you beat Minotaur: Cast bufu
Here's how you beat Matador: Resist force

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Eye of Widesauron posted:

People seem to have trouble with minotaur in SMT IV; I guess it's a gateway boss if you don't know how to abuse the press turn system?

I think Medusa is also a gateway boss. After that there really aren't any more on normal mode.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Doctor Goat posted:

wait what, which weapon is that on

i was stuck on minotaur in smtiv and then my 3ds died and gamestop wouldn't let me transfer my saves so now i gotta start over :(

idr what it's called but it's on the sword and you jump and fly straight at the enemy. enemies counter or dodge it if you're playing on hard tho so it only works on normal iirc

Dec 26, 2012

Silver Striker posted:

Here's how you beat Minotaur: Cast bufu
Here's how you beat Matador: Resist force

also dont have the buddy who casts whatever he's void to, i think its walter?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

01011001 posted:

also dont have the buddy who casts whatever he's void to, i think its walter?

Yeah that part is insanely stupid. If you get the fire guy just reset instantly because you lost.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There was one boss fight in Lufia where a ship sails up to you and you fight several monsters. I don't know what I was doing wrong to lose several times. Probably because the grinding in that game is bad.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Hope you've been upgrading that gear, player, because you won't get thru if you haven't!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i have no perspective on dark souls bosses because on my first run i got bks and on my second i decided magic might be harder (it wasnt)

edit

i'm looking at tvtropes because why not and they're hilariously bad

-In God Hand, Gold and Silver, the Macho Camp duo that serve as the first Mini-Boss fight, quickly establish the rules for boss fights in that game — that they will suck royally for the player.
-In Prime 2, the Splinter fight in the Great Temple will wake your rear end up. It's a three-stage Sequential Boss; the first form is five Dark Splinters, the second an Alpha Splinter, and the third is the Dark Alpha Splinter. The first and third fights are laughably easy if done right, but if you haven't mastered circle strafing and dodging, the second form of that fight will tear you apart.
-Nine-Toes in Borderlands. While not too bad on his own, the two skags with him can be rather problematic if you've been coasting on firepower so far; they have a lot of health and are tough to take down without taking the time to aim for their weak points.
-In Chrono Trigger, the first boss, Yakra, can quite easily be brute-forced even if you don't understand the complexities of the combat system. The Dragon Tank that comes about an hour later, however, is a Wake Up Call Boss. Its parts must be attacked in a specific order (head, wheel, body), and as it can heal itself, you have to proceed intelligently rather than keep attacking until it dies.
-Unlike the preceding Bonne machines, The Marlwolf from Mega Man Legends will utterly Curb Stomp you if you're not ready. It's the first boss in the game that can use a shield-breaking move which not only homes in but has a huge hitbox, and you can only damage it by jumping on it's back and shooting through the door when it's open. It also comes early enough in the game that the only possible sub-weapons you can have are the useless grenade and mine arms, and the machine arm which only becomes useful after a lot of costly upgrades.

the last one owns because the mine arm is sick as hell and the marlwolf is almost a joke boss

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 31, 2014

Soral
May 30, 2009

ornstein & smough

Soral
May 30, 2009

boom boom from mario bros 3

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Soral posted:

ornstein & smough
Yeah, Jewish law firms are pretty tough.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Soral posted:

ornstein & smough

these aren't the gateway bosses, these are the final boss. too bad the postgame isn't nearly as good

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Doctor Goat posted:

these aren't the gateway bosses, these are the final boss. too bad the postgame isn't nearly as good

Soral
May 30, 2009

omega pirate

Soral
May 30, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

they are the gateway boss to the final boss, knight artorias

Soral
May 30, 2009

those dragons from breavely default

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Queen Brahne in Final Fantasy IX.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Soral posted:

ornstein & smough

Yeah it's insanely hard to walk backwards with your shield up and then hit them when they're vulnerable. NOT!!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Pretty much the only boss I saved combos for. He is actually easier as a boss.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Soral posted:

omega pirate

the only actually difficult boss in metroid prime, but it makes sense cause the phazon mines are probs the hardest part of the game since you don't have the plasma beam yet and it's room after room of dickhead pirates

if you aren't expecting a boss like omega pirate after going through phazon mines u dum

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
While we're talking about metroid, the Boost Guardian is a huge rear end in a top hat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Soral posted:

those dragons from breavely default

Nobody ever seems to learn the lesson those dragons were designed to teach.

That lesson is this: even if an attack looks elemental, it is probably also physical. Blocking magic is poo poo. Blocking physical wins the game.

Nobody learns because the internet just tells them how to AFK beat the dragons (4x Ninja) but not why that works so the Vampire boss owns them really hard.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

do Brock and Misty if you picked Charmander in Pokemon count because they both hosed fire type pokemon

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the dragon from paper mario thousand year door

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Luigi Thirty posted:

do Brock and Misty if you picked Charmander in Pokemon count because they both hosed fire type pokemon

one of my friends ground up to like level 40 to take out brock

he couldn't find where to go in magi nation so when i got it back from him after letting him borrow it he had a bunch of maxed out beginning dudes

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

hope you've been paying attention

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Pretty much the only boss I saved combos for. He is actually easier as a boss.

I saw an abstract Knuckles the Echidna in that thumbnail

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Soral posted:

ornstein & smough

Gateway bosses not final bosses.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

i have no perspective on dark souls bosses because on my first run i got bks and on my second i decided magic might be harder (it wasnt)

edit

i'm looking at tvtropes because why not and they're hilariously bad

-In God Hand, Gold and Silver, the Macho Camp duo that serve as the first Mini-Boss fight, quickly establish the rules for boss fights in that game — that they will suck royally for the player.
-In Prime 2, the Splinter fight in the Great Temple will wake your rear end up. It's a three-stage Sequential Boss; the first form is five Dark Splinters, the second an Alpha Splinter, and the third is the Dark Alpha Splinter. The first and third fights are laughably easy if done right, but if you haven't mastered circle strafing and dodging, the second form of that fight will tear you apart.
-Nine-Toes in Borderlands. While not too bad on his own, the two skags with him can be rather problematic if you've been coasting on firepower so far; they have a lot of health and are tough to take down without taking the time to aim for their weak points.
-In Chrono Trigger, the first boss, Yakra, can quite easily be brute-forced even if you don't understand the complexities of the combat system. The Dragon Tank that comes about an hour later, however, is a Wake Up Call Boss. Its parts must be attacked in a specific order (head, wheel, body), and as it can heal itself, you have to proceed intelligently rather than keep attacking until it dies.
-Unlike the preceding Bonne machines, The Marlwolf from Mega Man Legends will utterly Curb Stomp you if you're not ready. It's the first boss in the game that can use a shield-breaking move which not only homes in but has a huge hitbox, and you can only damage it by jumping on it's back and shooting through the door when it's open. It also comes early enough in the game that the only possible sub-weapons you can have are the useless grenade and mine arms, and the machine arm which only becomes useful after a lot of costly upgrades.

the last one owns because the mine arm is sick as hell and the marlwolf is almost a joke boss

man what the gently caress. bon bonne, the guy you fight right before, is harder than marlwolf. marlwolf is only hard if you're too braindead to dodge roll.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the fake president in final fantasy 8 who is an undead

youre supposed to use heals on him but i ground thru teh fight because i had no loving clue how the game worked, and it was really freaking ahrd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
fargoth

• Locked thread