Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

S I C K O S

Pillbug

I'm in and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

S I C K O S

Pillbug

Flash Forward
(815 Words)

“Ok, Smile!” Kiko pressed the button on the side of the camera. “I can barely hold this, I wish I had a selfie stick!” She pulled the camera back in, shaking it and pressing buttons along the sides. “Donna, can you try it?”

Donna took the camera and pushed forward through the crowds in Times Square. “I don’t think we’re going to be able to get a good shot, let’s see if someone else can take the photo.” She looked down and thumbed through the last couple of pictures. “Does something look off to you? I think the color balance is weird, my hair looks really washed out. Is this some kind of filter?”

Kiko’s face pressed up against hers as they looked together at the tiny LCD. “I don’t know how this thing works - I borrowed it from work.” They walked together into a coffee shop and sat down in a corner booth. Kiko smiled and lined up another picture. “It’s fine!” Snap, click. “She won’t even notice it - we’ll be back from this trip before she gets back from her conference.” She turned the little box over in her hands while they ordered coffee to take the chill from the winter air. “Something doesn’t look quite right here, take a look.” She handed the camera back over to Donna. Donna grimaced. “Why do I look so old in this picture?” She leaned in closer to the little screen, searching the picture “And doesn’t this shop look odd? There’s nothing out the windows. It’s all grey.”

Kiko stood up, and grabbed the camera from Donna’s hands. “I’ll try another shot, maybe I just don’t know how to use this thing.” Snap, click. Snap, click. Kiko took two more shots of Donna. She looked down at the LCD, gasped, and dropped the camera on the floor. Her face drained completely. “I’m… I’m… I need to go the bathroom, I’ll be right back.” She stiffly walked away, looking furtively around the room, before finally closing the single stall door and clicking the lock into place.

“What the gently caress?” Donna grabbed the camera off the floor, looking at the cracked screen on the back. “Kiko, what did you see?” She called. “Hey, I’m eatin’ here! You girls take it outside!” came a yell from a table near the back. She frowned and stood up, moving towards the door. Three bangs later and the small bathroom door was locked. “Kiko! What did you see? What’s going on in there? Are you ok?” She tried a few texts to Kiko’s cell and a phone call. No response.

Donna’s stomach dropped and a feeling of dread crept through her body. Fighting down a bitter taste in her mouth she yelled one more time “Call me when you get out! I’ve gotta go!” as she dashed out the door and back onto the crowded streets. She fought her way through the masses of people, searching the side street that would lead back to her hotel. A few hurried turns later, she found herself in a corner room lit with ambient glow of the city. Three more steps and she was at the desk already waking her borrowed work laptop out of sleep mode. She fished a cable out of her bag and ran the connection from the camera to the laptop. The words “D.A.R.P.A. Login” flashed on the screen as she pressed her thumb on a small scanner. Two clicks, into the camera’s on-board storage. She mashed on the trackpad racing over to the last image the camera had taken. Two more clicks.

A grinning ashen skull greeted her, with the remains of the coffee shop opening out to a blinding flash of a frozen mushroom cloud in the distance. She felt a bead of sweat roll down her back as she thumbed backwards through the photos. The flash and cloud slowly retreated as her skin covered her skeleton once more. The photos continued backwards, moving back with them out into Times Square. She looked old and the city looked different. Gone were the modern day trappings of advertisements and Broadway banners, replaced with foreign script and armed shapes on balconies in a grey haze. She landed on Kiko, no longer was her co-worker smiling, but rather her face was grim and her parka had been replaced with a uniform. She clicked through the series further and further and the images faded into white walled test room photos until she landed on the very first. It was digital, and had a series of block letters. “D.A.R.P.A. Experiment #AA3784 - Temporal Research Program - CONFIDENTIAL”

Her laptop let out a loud, long beep. A message appeared on the screen “ALL STAFF: MAJOR SECURITY BREACH - NATIONAL SECURITY RISK” She clicked her trackpad two times, Click. Click. A bright flash and a deafening boom shook the hotel, then the white light, and finally nothing.

This is my first time doing Thunderdome, or writing anything for like, five years. I get the feeling this is going to be rough.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

S I C K O S

Pillbug

In

• Locked thread