Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

E2:Double gently caress it, give me one.

Your story involves one character being disdainful of another's accomplishments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Masonity posted:

A HM after my last 2 entries was a no show and a dishonourable? I'm definitely IN this week. Give me a flash rule too please!

A time limit with deadly consequences must factor.

Thranguy posted:

In, with a flash rule please.

A significant portion of your story occurs underwater.

JcDent posted:

In. Flash me.

Reflected objects turn out to be much, much larger than they appear.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Only your protagonist knows the horrible truth.

SquirrelFace posted:

In. flash rule please.

Someone is a double agent. BUT WHO?

theblunderbuss posted:

I'm in. Flash me.

Your story does not end on the same continent on which it started.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Blue Wher posted:

In with mando :toxx: Also Flash me

Your story contains a high-speed chase. None of the vehicles involved in this chase are cars.

Megazver posted:

gently caress it, in. Flash me.

An ancient mystery must factor.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:siren: ATTENTION :siren:

Since we've got a few folks :toxx:ing this time, I wanted to make something clear.

It is common for people under the toxx gun to be given a little bit of leniency with the final deadline for submission. This is custom, rather than law. However, I am maintaining this tradition this week, with one difference: everyone is getting a relaxed deadline. (Monday morning, rather than Sunday night.) Not only are you getting all that extra time, you're not even going to eat a DQ for taking advantage of it! Now that's what I call a bargain!

If you are counting on having even more time than that to avoid the toxxecutioner's axe, well, I can't tell you what to do, it's your :10bux: . If putting your faith in my goodwill at stupid o'clock on Monday morning seems like a good idea to you, then by all means!

Or, you know, get your poo poo in on time. Either or.

Please direct any questions or concerns about this special judge announcement to the complaints department, conveniently located up your own rear end.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Megazver posted:

*tries counting on his fingers, gives up*

What's that in Yurpe Time?

It's a nebulous time about six hours later (if you're in the U.K., correct for other strange realms as needed) than the nebulous time I will be using in Minnesota USA.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: EVERYONE READ THIS :siren:

Your protagonists should always be likable OR interesting. It's okay to write about jerks or scumbags, but they should be jerks or scumbags in ways that are interesting. This goes double for all characters who are deliberately written to be unlikable. No matter how loathsome your characters are, if I find them compelling then your story is worth my time. If I don't find them compelling then what you're asking me is to spend time with unpleasant people being unpleasant. I don't like hanging around with unpleasant people in real life, so I don't know why you'd think I'd want to in your stories.

:commissar:

This would be a good thing for people to keep in mind this week.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Enchanted Hat posted:

In and I'd like a flash rule, please!

The monsters come out at night. Shame about your insomnia.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:siren: A reminder that signups will close when I wake up tomorrow morning. :siren:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cache Cab posted:

I wish to be in this week, if that's ok with the thunderdome illuminati. I don't know why I bother, since they will just call me names anyway. Oh well.

I have consulted with the Council of Seven and the Council of Five. (But not the Council of Six. gently caress the Council of Six.) It shall be permitted.

Also no one cares about your persecution complex. Any who would derail the thread with assertions to the contrary may find their allotted words in short supply.

So speaketh the Council of... Definitely Not Six. (They know why.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:siren: Signups are closed. :siren:

Sadly, this constitutes sleeping in for me, so y'all have til a little earlier on this on Monday to get your stories in.

Given how good some of you are at reading, I look forward to seeing what you have to write.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:siren: ATTENTION: I AM USING THE SIREN EMOTICON. :siren:

Also something something get your stories in before my alarm goes off tomorrow morning at stupid o'clock something something.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:siren: I am starting to stir toward wakefulness. :siren:

Submissions close in 45 minutes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:siren: Submissions are closed. :siren:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

No, this is not the results post. Nor is it anything to do with Cache Cab.

This is a friendly public service note to inform you failures that, if you post your story today (for reference, there are 5 hours left in today) you will get a DQ, but you will also get a crit, and may yet escape the toxxman's axe.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Best be turning those starry eyes into some words, son and/or daughter.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:siren: THUNDERDOME XCXLIX RESULTS :siren:

For the record, I believe all three of us judged anonymously this week. #thundergate #ethicsincreativeconvention #fuckyou

It was a surprisingly non-poo poo week at the movies. A 36% failure/DQ rate is nothing to smile about, but many of your actual stories made me smile.

Many of them.

IT WAS A HOT DAY IN JUNE by S7ndicate3 is our loser this week. A meandering mess of a plot, incoherent characters doing incoherent things, and a dead zero on the give-a-drat-o-meter sealed this story's fate.

DMs go to The Early Days Of A Wetter Nation by Thranguy, for squandering a genuinely interesting premise on way too much worldbuilding and way too little anything-actually-happening, and Goodbye Nuclear Holocaust by Lazy Beggar for not giving any of your characters recognizable motivations (which, when one of them wants to destroy humanity, is kind of important).

But there were some bright stars among us too.

HMs go to Born 2 Serve: Lob Harder by Mercedes, Kevin Costner on the Tarmac by Grizzled Patriarch, and On The Low End Of The Dial by Ironic Twist.

But there was one that charmed us all, that, while not perfect, managed to transcend its flaws to take the crown.

THE COVETED 149TH WEEKLY THUNDERDOME PRIZE FOR EXCELLENCE ADEQUACY IN FLASH-FICTIONING GOES TO....

Honour Among Thieves by theblunderbuss!

Critiques are coming soon. The stage is yours, theblunderbuss.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Meltdowns are bad.

Thanks are good.

Silence followed by better writing is best.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My first batch of critiques from Week 149 (for Screaming Idiot, StealthArcher, Rap Three Times, theblunderbuss, Thranguy, and Enchanted Hat) can be found here.

Yes, I'm line-critting everyone. Expect these to be complete in about 70 years.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Misplaced Guilt: A Study In Seven Words

But I didn't even enter this week!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

YOU CAN'T FIRE ME I QUIT

That is, I quit not being in.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Human Resources
1,257 words.

(In the archive)

docbeard fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 28, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Some more (belated) line-crits from Week 149, for Masonity, Mercedes, Megazvaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar, s7ndicate3, Grizzled Patriarch, and Ironic Twist.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The denizens of this mystic place fall upon you without warning! You face:

99 Judges and
99 Judges and
99 Judges and
99 Judges

Will your stalwart band (F)ight or (R)un?

> (I)n
> (R)equest a flash rule
> (T)hank SkaAndScreenplays for his critiques.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

The party paladin is increasingly concerned over the cleric's liberal use of blood ritual and raising the dead.

I told you this wasn't a good idea! Now look what's happened!
Come now, Doctor, everything is under control!

YOU WILL BE LIKE US

...oh, right, you said no fanfiction. Dammit. And no swearing either. What a shame.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 7, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

No Other Way
1,491 Words

(In the archive)

docbeard fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 28, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

nonfiction?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In unrelated news, crits for the last of the (non-DQ) entries for Week #149 are here. Featuring critiques for SlipUp, Lazy Beggar, SkaAndScreenplays, Entenzahn, and newtestleper.

The folks who submitted late will still get critiques. You will just get them late. (As opposed to the timeliness of these crits, you understand.)

Also, because apparently I can't get enough of this, I'll offer up three line-crits for this week's stories, first come, first served. If you get a crit from me, give a crit to someone else. (This someone else need not be me, but I certainly wouldn't complain!)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

epoch. posted:

So far I haven't gotten any crits from anyone aside from about four sentences in IRC from BadSeafood. At this point I'll literally blow someone for some feedback on my story.

A number of people have offered up critiques free for the asking, including myself. And it looks like Broenheim did, in fact, critique your story.

As it is, I had a little time this morning: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Aqx6pbdnuTEZuN-a-4IyoT3c6_dHwTMHQZFG2Cz7_44/edit?usp=sharing

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Eight Down
1,000 Words

(In the archive)

docbeard fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 28, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:siren: THUNDERDOME WEEK 155: IT'S TOO drat HOT :siren:

Your mission this week is simple. Set a story, in any genre, somewhere that is uncomfortably hot. This can be any environment, from an office building where the air conditioning has failed, to a desert planet, to anywhere during the summer. The heat need not be central to your story, but it should play a role; I do not want to see a bunch of irrelevant weather reports.

Things to keep in mind:
It is too drat hot for flash rules.
Write an actual story, with actual characters, who have actual development.
No fanfic, no erotica.
Make me give a drat.

1,200 words. Deadline to enter is 11:59 PM CST Friday July 24, 2015. Deadline to submit is 11:59 PM CST Sunday July 26, 2015.

Heat-Addled Judges:
docbeard
Benny Profane
Broenheim

Beat The Heat With:
Screaming Idiot
Surreptitious Muffin
SadisTech
WeLandedOnTheMoon
Guinness13
Morning Bell
epoch.
Mad Wack
Tyrannosaurus
Claven666
Centurium
Thranguy
skwidmonster
Grizzled Patriarch
tentacleDate
kurona_bright
Bompacho
Jonked
Nubile Hillock :toxx:
c7ty1
Empire State
spectres of autism
dmboogie
Kaishai

docbeard fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 26, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:siren: Roughly four hours to enter! :siren:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also, I was kind of sick and had a lot of poo poo going on all week, and I just looked up and went "...wait, I knew I forgot something." So I need judges! PM me, catch me in IRC, or respond here if you're interested.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm out for the night. Sign-ups close in an hour and twenty minutes.

E. I woke up. :siren: Sign-ups are closed. :siren:

docbeard fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 25, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:siren: Two hours remain to submit your stories. :siren:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I will likely not be awake to close submissions at midnight (at least I hope to god I'm not).

But don't think I'm not completely capable of reading the timestamp on each post and doing simple math.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm alive, and at least this way your stories aren't the worst experience I've had today.

Expect judgment sometime tomorrow.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:siren: IT'S TOO drat HOT FOR THUNDERDOME 155 RESULTS :siren:

So after a week featuring unpleasant heat and humidity, surprise (but welcome) houseguests, and various maladies (some of which were indeed heat-related), I sure was glad to have your stories to turn to in my hour of need.

Yes. Glad.

Let us not speak of those among us who melted before the challenge of writing a story, though two late submissions (by SadisTech and Bompacho) will, though disqualified, receive critiques. Eventually.

Low Effort Bullshit from an idiot baby-man by Nubile Hillock certainly lived up to its title, and thank Christ that Sweat Tea In A Tin Can by Jonked didn't live up to its own. These obvious heatstroke victims take this week's DMs. I recommend drinking lots of fluids and writing better words.

Centurium's I reckon you think you've been saved is our losing entry for the week. The good news is, there's nowhere to go but up! Or, you know, laterally, but let's focus on going up.

Sleep In The Dark by Kaishai and Signals of Doubt and Uncertainty by Grizzled Patriarch have earned this week's HMs.

And finally, this week's winner is You Can't Catch Every Portrait In A Picture Frame, by Tyrannosaurus.

Welcome back to the throne, T-Rex. It's all yours now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In.

• Locked thread