Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Rocksicles posted:

So... Alpha House is pretty funny, why do all Amazon shows just slip under the radar?

I suspect that a lot of Amazon Prime subscribers aren't even aware that the TV stuff exists. Outside of critics, these shows get very little buzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Can't speak for others but my list is explicitly my 10 favorite shows of the year. I'm not under the illusion that Arrow or Flash are among the 10 best shows on television and I don't think anyone else is either. People need to calm the gently caress down about a stupid list thread.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Twitter has its uses. But communicating with other people isn't one of them.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Doesn't align right for me, even full sized.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

So I guess it's worth mentioning in here that Occupation and Zaggitz are hosting another Who livewatch today/tonight in the IRC for The Eleventh Hour aka Matt Smith's first full episode as The Doctor. It starts st 6PM EST/3PM PST/Go look up what time that is in your own time zone I'm not your damned butler.

#SATVIV on SynIRC

hcreight fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 3, 2015

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Change the name of the forum to that URL.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Whoa somebody put the whole first season of friends up on youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MbJi0xtnEA

Yeah, that's weird, especially after they made a big deal about it going up on Netflix. Everyone check it out.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Vox has other writers, you probably just happen to click on VDW's stuff most of the time. Some of their stuff is really good, some of it is way more linkbaity than they'll ever admit to.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

RIP Detective Carter :cry:

On another note, if you like Groundhog Day/alternate reality sci-fi shenanigans in TV form, Tuesday night's PoI is a must watch.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 8, 2015

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Told ya.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

That rumored Wet Hot American Summer Netflix series is officially a go. And they're apparently bringing back virtually the entire cast, including the likes of Amy Poehler, Paul Rudd, Bradley Cooper, and Elizabeth Banks.

http://www.avclub.com/article/original-cast-returns-wet-hot-american-summer-seri-213670

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

This isn't the first time NBC has tackled Jesus, FWIW.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

That one did piss a lot of people off.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Pisses me off, too. I get that Flash is a more compatible lead-in for iZombie than Arrow but there's already too much TV on Tuesdays.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I read more Gawker stuff than I'd care to admit to and that site has some weird fascination with rimjobs in general.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Ariza posted:

Togetherness was very enjoyable if you're into the Duplass brothers and what they do. They manage to walk the line between silliness and heartbreaking pretty well. It's nice to see Amanda Peet getting work again as well. Ken Marino shockingly plays a weird rear end in a top hat.

I liked it too. Your mileage may vary specifically on how much you like their movies.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Netflix released this David Faustino vehicle a couple years ago, did little to advertise it, and hasn't acknowledged its existence since then. I'd say that counts.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Is that the unprofitable kind of cancel or the just ending kind though? I know it gets horrible reviews but it seems popular.

It's impossible to tell how popular the show actually is because Netflix doesn't release any of its internal viewing data.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Esquire is supposed to be another network directly catering to a male demo, ala Spike. Considering G4 was home to regularly creepy programming like Attack of the Show, I consider this a step up.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

GreenNight posted:

From AV CLUB:

That sounds pretty dang cool. Until you get to the 80s, anyway. I wonder if they'll be the full episodes or the bullshit shortened versions.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Marge vs The Monorail is my Simpsons guess.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

IRQ posted:

You're right, I don't see how full frontal fits that at all.

One of the segments is about Marina Abramovic, if you're really curious why.

Also fans of Brett Gelman should check out the episode for the opening segment.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Sober posted:

It's supposed to be closer to Everybody Hates Chris I think. Eddie Huang is doing VO's while someone else plays a kid version of him and his family in the 90s.

Wow, that kid must really be able to act. :v:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

In "Holy poo poo!" news, Fox is in talks with Chris Carter to bring back The X-Files. With Mulder and Scully.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fox-x-files/

New Twin Peaks. Possible new X-Files. Let's just bring back the 90s.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

If you've turned on MTV today, you may notice something's different.

E: Beaten.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Also Flash was series low :mad:

Oof. It even lost to Parks.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Lycus posted:

I thought the first couple episodes of 100 were awful and they fixed poo poo later, but 5-6 episodes is a fair shot. Sometimes stuff is just not your thing.

Yeah once they get past the stupidity of the initial premise and start focusing on world building the show improves immensely. In terms of top to bottom quality, I think it's The CW's best show. Though I've yet to watch any Jane the Virgin and I guess there's a case for that show too.

Edit: Trailer's out for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, featuring multiple 30 Rock vets. I'm excited for this one, and glad it won't be a sacrificial lamb on NBC.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 22, 2015

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Occ keeps putting off making a new one because he doesn't want to update his OP. Which I suppose means it's fair play if someone else wants to step up.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I'm about 3 episodes from finishing up the last season of Justified, what was it that people didn't like about it so much? I have a feeling it's the seperate threads, or the Amy Smart stuff which, despite her and Olyphant's best efforts, doesn't work well at all.

Michael Rapaport and his weird, bad accent irked people more than anything. He felt like sort of a downer for a show that has showcased some very good villains. That and the show itself was spinning its wheels.

Tuesday's premiere was pretty promising, though.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

A lot of people don't care for the first few episodes but you should know by episode 7 whether the show is for you or not. It's not that the first season is bad or anything, it's that the first two seasons are much more procedural, and it isn't until S3 or so that the show starts going really wild with its premise.

Also Sarah Shahi, who plays one of the show's best characters, doesn't come on board until well into S2.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

JohnSherman posted:

But this thread has told me that I can't make a decision to stop watching a show unless I've seen every episode!

I'm not this thread. :colbert:

Cart posted:

Not sure how much Banshee is appointment viewing around these parts but last night's episode was one of the most insane episodes of TV I've ever seen. Just an avalanche of major plot points bookended with some of the most brutal action sequences I've ever seen.

It would not air on the CW.

Seconding this, catch up on Banshee if you're behind. Last night's ep was, to quote Division Post, "Peak Banshee."

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I think Starz sells shows to Netflix individually now. For instance, Boss has been back on there for a while now, but Party Down isn't.

Bahahahahahaha David Tennant is gonna play Purple Man in AKA Jessica Jones

hcreight fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 26, 2015

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Nah, those guys are just shooting a documentary. Up on a roof. At night.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Don't they keep killing off female characters because their terrible--largely female--tumblr fanbase demands it?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Like Fox and NBC, The CW is experimenting with smaller, Cable TV-style seasons. The fact that they renewed all of their scripted shows well before they needed to suggests they're pretty happy with where they're sitting ratings-wise and want to expand. Though they probably have at least one new show in the pipeline, another Arrow spinoff starting The Atom, so something may get cancelled eventually.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Even if they start losing viewers, there are still a crapload of people watching. They want to extend that viewership for as long as possible. The postgame show scored a 26.3 in the demo (the game itself was 39.1), while The Blacklist "only" did an 8.4.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah it's kind of hard to prove that the post-SB time slot has any significant effect like that. And as those ratings indicate, the majority of viewers stuck around for the post game show, which wouldn't happen if they jumped straight to The Blacklist. It also helped that this year's Superbowl was a good game with a crazy ending, granted.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I never got the impression that show was trying to be anything but House, but as a police procedural.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

But but but the timeline....

MY IMMERSION.

But anyway congrats mods, that thread will be even worse than the GoT one.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 6, 2015

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: Shouldn't Zelda be a cartoon? It fits the tone (I haven't played any of the games after the N64 one).

Netflix is clearly gunning for a Game of Thrones-type show, and the idea here is they could build Zelda into something like that. The one obvious difference being that instead of a set story like GoT's, Zelda is pretty malleable outside of involving Zelda, Link, and probably Ganondorf. So in theory they could hire a good writer to flesh out a story. If this show is ever actually produced. Who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Dang, I saw "HBO series" and my first thought was that they lined him up for Fincher Utopia. But Vice Principals could be good all the same.

• Locked thread