Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

X-Files kept it to season finales and premiers mostly, but it's the first thing I remember really doing the overarching plot arc thing (until it got lovely). The bulk of it was MotW stuff, like Fringe, for people who are literal babies like Ravane. Stop making me feel old you fucker. Lost was a different animal, in that it was aware that it had a greater narrative in mind, until it actually turned out it didn't.

X-Files is worth revisiting (or visiting) for some of its really outstanding episodes, but as a whole I can't say it's worth a full watch. Fortunately there are plenty of lists of what's great, though tbh the mythology episodes don't rank among them in 2015 in my opinion.

e: that is to say that the X-Files' standout moments are in one-off MotW episodes like Home or Darkness Falls rather than Lost's focus on each season having a story to tell.

Catching up with the thread, but I am in fact doing a rewatch (an episode every few days or so).

Good god this show holds up. There's a level of craft, of non child hand holding, of care that makes each episode seem like a long lost mid-budgeted spooky movie from the early 90s. There isn't any of the self-referential, TV trope thing (focusing on the main character's quips, the actual plot and victims being a secondary thought, obsession with continuity) that a lot of TV shows have spiraled into.

Mulder and Scully are impressive professionals, and the way they interact with each other and the larger world comes off as just right. I'm only a few episodes into Season 1, but its been a lot of fun so far. Hope the mythology thing doesn't stop it in its tracks.

I'm a fan of Fringe. But Fringe doesn't hold a candle to X-Files (and the crazy amount of talent behind and in front of the camera, really excited by the upcoming Darin Morgan eps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

xeria posted:

Speaking as someone who railed against watching PoI as recently as a little over a year ago, the show is far and away my #1 show of the past year and I'm a stupid idiot for not having watched it sooner.

Alright, give me episodes. I just was bored by the five or so episodes I've caught randomly on CBS. It suffers from Law and Order-itis to me, basically being servicable to watch in the background as I do something else.

EDIT: VVV Actually, I'll probably just do that.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 26, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Spartacus is coming up on Netflix. Watch this amazing show from the beginning (well, maybe the second episode).

EDIT: I have to say The Slap trailer kinda made feel uncomfortable. Like, how easy it was to be boiled up about that kid, and here I'm the most laid-back hippy dippy guy when it comes to children. Hitting children is the worst. But that trailer is like the child slapping equivalent of an episode of 24, where we all know torture is bad, but the show has spent a season building the perfect set of events to make torture seem like the ONLY OPTION AVAILABLE (drat IT WE'RE OUT OF TIME).

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 26, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

xeria posted:

My top five, and even ten, episodes of the series kind of lose something if you haven't actually watched the rest of it to date. Relevance (2x16, Sarah Shahi's first episode) might be the most standalone one of the bunch.

The track I took my roommate on, since I knew he wouldn't sit loving still long enough to watch the first season and change, was this:

1x01 - Pilot
1x04 - Cura Te Ipsum
1x07 - Witness
1x13 - Root Cause
1x21 - Many Happy Returns
1x22 - No Good Deed
1x23 - Firewall

2x01 - Contingency
2x02 - Bad Code
2x16 - Relevance

Note - this skips a lot of Reese and Finch's respective backstories, and a whole lot of the Carter/Fusco/HR storyline. If the show interests you enough after especially those first four S1 episodes, it's definitely worth just watching the rest in order. It's more procedural than not through definitely the first season, and probably the first half or so of season 2.

(If you get through those season 1 episodes and are still Real Bored, yeah it might just not be your thing. Maybe give 2x16 a shot at that point for a go/no-go decision.)

Quoting this for referring to later. Thanks xeria.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

I'd say my favorite motw episodes are

- the mysterious ghost serial killer It's H.H Holmes
- the one where a boy's stuffed animal comes to life and begs for death The boy is nephilem, has god-like powers and is confused
- Kronos the god of time
- Anything with Ghostchasers
- Where Dean meets an old flame, sees a kid that might be his and freaks out the entire episode
- Any episode with Rufus ("No, I'm pretty sure its 7 times, not 9")
- The locked down town that's a cult (Castiel gets crazy drunk)

What eps are these (at least the ones past season 5). I quit around then, and I'd like to see the odd MotW/funny episode that's worth watching after that, if there are any.

EDIT: About the early season, probably the thing that's most lacking is that they never did enough with the dad. The actor is so great.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 27, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good god does the X Files get good in the middle of Season 1. Eve, Beyond the Sea, Fallen Angel. Just stellar episodes that I'm happy to only vaguely remember. Beyond the Sea even made me tear up a bit. Just quality stuff.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SmokinDan posted:

Anyone who's not watching Season 2 of Danger 5 needs to rectify their mistake immediately.

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/danger-5

Already watched the second episode and it was frankly amazing. I was shaking my head at some of it it was so good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Update on the great X-Files Season 1 rewatch. Just finished Darkness Falls and Toombs. Where the hell can I find TV like this again? With this much atmosphere, subdued emotion, intelligent and driven characters. I hate to bring up Fringe again (which a show I really liked, but think fell apart as it went full bore mythology towards its latter seasons), but even at its height, second season or so, no individual episodes ever took the time to go this slow, really sinking into characterization and mood (like a mini movie, as I said before). Some of the imagery will (and has) haunted me for years.

Again, I really do think that serialization and emphasis on zippy and comfortable character dynamics (one cooky nerd, two hot leads that inevitably hook up) in not only that show, but in most drama shows in the last few years, really kills that kind of focus on individual installments (something that X-Files also managed to fall into, ironically enough).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lycus posted:

All gorillas are perverts! Look at Koko!

This made me look up Koko on Wiki and I read about the cat thing and now I'm overcome with unwanted feelings. Thanks bud.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

The lesson here is that threads invariably turn against genre shows.

The Whedon thread is still positive. Smaller shows, like the Booth At The End, are consistently positive. Its just people want to focus on other people being lovely. Seems like a waste of time, to me.

EDIT: Shouldn't Zelda be a cartoon? It fits the tone (I haven't played any of the games after the N64 one).

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 7, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Catching up with my HBO subscription. Looking still holds up, as great comedy/drama. Togetherness is bunk. No want.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ariza posted:

My opinion on both is the exact opposite of yours.

GET OUT

Eh, might as well state reasons. Togetherness, at least from the first ep I watched, has no characters that I particularly like, the main thing a pilot is supposed to provide. From the first frame, its about how miserable these people are, and the unrealistic dialogue and situations they use to communicate it. Amanda Peets (who I think is great) is borderline insane, the husband (Duplass, another person I like, is given nothing interesting here) and the wife (who I've seen pop up everywhere), are doing the most cliche sitcom thing imaginable. Oh, they'd rather masturbate than actually have sex?! How surprising!

The sad sack fat guy who's down on his luck and underappreciated even though he has a heart of gold and constantly knows exactly what to do while given the show's best comedic lines makes think he's the creator/creators avatars or something. Anyway, plenty of good things on TV, nothing there for me to come back for.

Unlike Looking. Maybe it's because I saw the whole first season at once, but I think its going through some interesting twists/turns on the maturing urban dweller genre. I like the main character, from the first moment of him giggling his way through a ridiculous encounter, and I like the dialogue and relatively lax plotting in the eps I've seen. Its a world that hasn't really been portrayed on TV without dwelling into stereotypes and melodrama, and more than anything, I want each and everyone of these characters to succeed (with maybe the exception of the artist friend, maybe a purposeful point). I can see some intelligence riding behind this thing.

Also, the music is dope.

savinhill posted:

You didn't even like the Tom Sawyer air-drumming?

Shrug.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Like, one robot is just a moving chasis with a giant blast shield on the front and C4 on the other side of the blast shield? Yeah, that would be awesome.

Two legged androids v. giant spider machines. We have the technology.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That poo poo was loving excruciating, and I really liked the series as a kid. Don't think the series is adaptable at all.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That pilot is crap, but its also a faithful representation of the first chapter of this series.

A series that

1) has some of the worst, most unrealistic dialogue in the writing field.

2) Largely uses past events and thousands of years of dry history to fill out a series of books largely relying on stock characters and world building

3) goes against what people actually like about GoT, the upending of convention and the buzz created from adapting modern day story-telling techniques and brutal plotting and realistic consequences.

Also, magic being the main component of a plot that largely circles itself for more than a dozen books, and with only interesting character and characterization somewhat drizzled haphazardly through it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Actually, I think it has way more mass appeal than Game of Thrones.

Explain your work Mr. Zoux.

EDIT: Unless its that thing I've heard called sarcasm.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

I can confirm this.

Wait really? Wasn't he in something around last year? I thought Deadpool had a cameo. I should add that I know almost nothing about comics whatsoever. Except that they are bad, and for jerks, like anime.

Peak TV Thread. We must isolate it, and study it, like smallpox.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I would agree. But it's also an important scene for Jimmy. He's already displayed more compassion and humanity than Walt did. But it's not that fair a comparison since they are completely different characters anyway.

Man, that scene had me laughing and clapping. It was perfect.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fateo McMurray posted:

No one remembers Kilborn, like it should be.

He was such a douchebag in Wedding Crashers

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

:Wolfcastle comic jpg:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Guys, Parks and Rec writer Harris Wittels is dead. He was 30.

Holy poo poo. This guy was unnaturally funny. Jesus, this is terrible.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also that bananas Two Broke Girls news conference.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

That was Michael Patrick King, not Chuck Lorre.

you say tomato I say they're hackity hacks from hackworld

EDIT: ^^^^ Here: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/press-tour-2-broke-girls-panel-turns-ugly-with-racism-raunchiness-charges

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 20, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looking and a lot of other HBO shows are 30 and less.

EDIT: Looking can't be anything else other than Drama.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 20, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Lemme set the stage. 2 Broke Girls had just premiered, critics think that there's a charming, witty show somewhere underneath the rubble of racist caricatures and terrible sex humor, and they say "Hey, it's hard for a comedy to be on fire out of the gate. Let's give it a little while and see which wolf it feeds the most, so to speak."

The January TCA conference arrives. 2 Broke Girls gets its own panel. Critics are REALLY interested in seeing what the cast and crew thinks about where the show needs work and what they do best. And, really, what the deal was with all the problematic jokes.

Michael Patrick King, in turn, didn't take it too well.

Probably my favorite part of the article I posted.

quote:

King asked the reporter for his name. The reporter gave it.

"So you're Irish?" King asked.

"Yes," the reporter replied.

"So we've identified your sexual problem," King said.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-a...tJf5fLQJs3Fu.99

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

There is an option for shows to appeal the category on a case by case basis. So an hour long show like Jane the Virgin can argue that it is primarily a comedy series.

The only shows that would be affected are dramedies like Orange is the New Black.

A lot of people accused OitNB of being submitted as a comedy because the producers thought it had a better chance of winning in the weaker comedy field. After all, dramas usually trump comedies at awards shows, that's the reason for splitting up dramas and comedies. So this way Orange is the New Black is back to competing against shows like House of Cards and Mad Men, instead of comedies like Mike and Molly and The Big Bang Theory.

At least in that aspect this works for me. I see Orange as a drama, with a comedic sensibility. The opposite of how I view Louie, actually.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Breaking Bad seems like such a fuckin' bummer. Why would I want to bum myself out so much?

It can also be incredibly funny too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJyar3YD9n0

EDIT: Sorry about the backing track, jesus.

EDIT 2: gently caress the above, here's some Saul moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7404XMzHr-M

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 23, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You inpute real world morality and character judgement to fictional characters because the show was trying to inpute real world morality and character judgment to fictional characters. That was the point. Trying to say who gives a poo poo what Walt did, at least he was cool, is missing the whole theme of the show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You talk about media like your opinions are objective fact. Who "you root for" might not be the most elegant language, but it covers a lot of important ground (i.e. what are the creators trying to say, is this something that isn't satisfying narratively, the ugliness of something meant to exploit the worst parts of people, exploitation period, loving etc.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Now it is You who talk about media like your opinions are objective fact !!

(edit... IMO)

I am...undone...

Sakarja posted:

I think it's easy to understand why those people were drawn to the show in the first place, and why they seemed to stay with it all the way to the end. People complain a lot about the "bad fans", seemingly without realizing that the show pandered to them constantly. Sure Walt would melt down occasionally, or do something really contemptible. But he always went right back to being the badass who killed all the bad guys, outsmarted the cops and stared down hardened criminals with his awesome one-liners etc.

Yeah, its probably why I think the best episode was Ozymandias and why I'm not that fan of the ending. To my interpreation, the show was always about the perils of male pride, and it hit that with a vengeance. The ending turned what was an iconic point you'd only see hit as powerfully in some of my favorite films, to something less. Still love the show though.

EDIT: Spoilered above. Ending talk.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 23, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fooz posted:

Ozymandias should have been the ending I agree. Not too keen on reducing the series into a parable though.

^New Mexico is beautiful. Great place to visit.

The countryside is basically another character that should be listed in the main credits after the main two leads. And maybe Skylar.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sober posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90

So that is a thing. It might be a little too GRITTY REBOOT for some people but I thought it was pretty cool, didn't overstay its welcome and all that.

It's incredibly Joseph Kahn. So first impression is no, second is oh wait a second, third is a giant grin, and fourth is just the realization of how bat poo poo ambitious he can be (Detention, come on).

Also, James Van Der Beek can sell anything. Even a Halo/Power Rangers mash-up.

EDIT: You know what? I like that world. Dystopian sci fi, piggy backing off a sunnier sci fi series gone sour. Seeing how the main characters sell out to totilitarian forces, and how much background they share with each other. Also the fighting was cool.

But maybe not with the Power Rangers though?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 24, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

If you think about it, Hank had the happiest ending of all the Breaking Bad cast.

Man, I love those comics. Who's got a link to the best ones?

Fateo McMurray posted:

The point is you watched said genre movie knowing you didn't like the genre, then don't be surprised when you don't like the movie.

Genre shouldn't be an excuse for mediocrity. I see where the guy is coming from. The movie didn't have too many interesting characters, dialogue, and other stuff that will draw people in who don't explode at giant robot fights (you know what's a better version? Seriously? Robot Jox, that scrappy 80s movie). It does feel like that seems to be Del Toro's game since Hellboy 2, create storyboards and imagery that is cool, and slap everything else around it in the last minute, who cares.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 25, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That's the stuff. Tried to find my favorite one, with Walt going all I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS, and it ending with him telling Skylar WE HAVE TO LEAVE. I love how they draw that guy.

Anyway, need some help. Trying to figure out why I found Agent Carter so....inconsequential. Like I was watching ABC Family, instead of ABC. Is that a conscious choice? Because Agents of Shield shares that as well, this sort of waddling separating the show from the real world and any real depth. IDK maybe its just me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bown posted:

Marvel/Disney is not the place to look to for any real depth.

IRQ posted:

It was a 6 episode side story about a side character with exactly one character trait (look at her do "man things" in a man's world!) from a movie set 70 years ago in the same universe as the show. Of course it felt inconsequential.

Its a shame, that's all. 6 episodes, no need to fluff it up for multiple seasons. I remembering reading about some of the folks behind the movie writing this thing (and I think they did?). And it was pleasant and all, but at no time was I especially entertained. And that was all that I was asking for, not the next Breaking Bad or anything. Flash manages to do it on the reg, and so does others.

Was it because it was largely unimaginative? I'm familiar with the source material (at least where they got Leviathan from). And there, Leviathan is a shadowy Russian versian of Hydra, a covert black ops organization spanning the world headed by a psychotic super soldier and a top tier SHIELD operative and traitor, more interested in the civil war they have with Hydra than anything else, stemming from breaking a truce concocted by Leonardi Di Vinci.

We did get a douche psycharitrist though, so there's that.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 25, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Still waiting to see the third episode. The second episode might be one of the funniest half hours I've ever seen.

Anyway, been watching Bosch and enjoying it (7 eps in). The protaganist is kind of formuliac, even with being kind of an rear end in a top hat, and there isn't really anytihng new in the way they go about with the procedural. But there's almost a novelistic tempo to what I've seen, parceling out the answers to the central mystery in satisfying chunks while proceeding down several interesting avenues. There a thread for it? The Index and Google are failing me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Timby posted:

Wasn't Steven DeKnight the creator of that Undressed show that ran on MTV like fifteen years ago?

It was his first staff tv writing gig and he bitches about it on Nerdist Writing Panel podcast.

EDIT: That episode is also notable for where the Astronaut v. Caveman fight thing on Angel came from.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is there a second season of Married happening?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kaynorr posted:

Can anyone recommend some good TV nerd podcasts? I've been listening to TV Campfire and while the format is more or less what I'm looking for, the host is killing any enthusiasm I have for it.

I'm a fan of Nerdist's Writer podcast (I think that's the name). Really breaks down the business from the persective of writing and tv show creators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You keep on doing you DP.

• Locked thread