Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
This was posted in GBS but I feel like it will be appreciated here too.

69 TV intros re-imagined by forums poster RaceFat thread / YouTube Playlist

They're listed on the playlist in the order they were written and they get better as they progress. Still, I'd recommend just picking a show you recognize and going from there. My personal favorites are True Detective, The Americans, Doug, and The West Wing, but they're all great in their own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to Goons I started watching Hannibal and I'm in the middle of Season 2 right now. I gotta say, the soundtrack is...all over the map. And not necessarily in a bad way. Sometimes I'm like "what the gently caress is the soundtrack doing right now?" And I realize it's supposed to sound crazy when it starts to go further and further off the rails, and other times it's just a perfect compliment to what's happening on screen...love the bits of Hannibal cooking up body parts to the sound of the classics that we get every few episodes. I also love that one track with the two repetitive timpani notes at a nice soft volume that seem to play whenever Hannibal is loving with Will's head. I always appreciate a subtle use of timpani, one that isn't just 'DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN'

The atmosphere is the real star in this show. If you're on the fence and not afraid of some really hosed up blood and guts every once in a while (or maybe more like 6-7 times per episode), check this show out.

E: these crazy pitch shifting roto-tom/log drum sounds are great too

timp fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 20, 2015

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Seven seasons seems to be the ultimate limit for a TV show to remain good. Are there any shows that have turned in their best seasons in 8+?

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is in it's 10th season, and while opinions about which season is best often vary, I don't think anyone would claim that any of the seasons after 8 are bad. In fact, most agree that the show somehow just keeps getting better and funnier.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ariza posted:

The only good detective type show (what's the real name of these type of shows?)
procedural or crime procedural

Ariza posted:

was the Law and Order with Vinny D being a weird creep that leaned in too close and asked inappropriate questions.
Law and Order: Criminal Intent

Bown posted:

The phrase "i'm sorry you hate fun" is definitely being overused now if we're applying it to generic-rear end procedurals like Cold Case.
lol

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I can't wait to see The Daily Show With Joel McHale.

I think I would prefer that to The Daily Show with Any of the Current Correspondants

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Irish Joe posted:

I find it hard to hate a guy who's only crime is caring too much for his family.

Beautiful set up by Irish Joe as always. Who will step up to spike this one?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Tonight's episode of Modern Family was entirely shot from Claire's Macbook screen at an airport and it was pretty ingenious. She was Facetimeing the rest of the family, going on their Facebook pages, researching things related to what she was talking about...it was some really impressive writing and directing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chamberk posted:

And marketing!

cebrail posted:

Was this the gaudiest product placement in TV history? I'm trying to think of anything else, but I can't. I mean, there were things like the O.C. episode about the T-Mobile Sidekick which is hilarious when you watch it today, and Community had the Subway stuff, but even when they made fun of it and went super over the top it still wasn't as much as this Modern Family episode.

Maybe I'm just naive but the marketing angle didn't even occur to me, but that's probably because I have an iPhone and Macbook and use the programs they were using on a regular basis. I still think it was a really creative way to shoot an episode.

EDIT:

EL BROMANCE posted:

At least they didn't use Microsoft gear, nobody wants to sit through an episode of non stop system updates and stuttering Skype calls that drop every 3 minutes.

Phil was playing Halo for half the episode :v:

timp fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 26, 2015

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

\The Middle is the ultimate "is that still on" show for me, which is followed up by "Why is that still on?"

Because it's charming and consistently funny. :colbert:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

Not this season.

I really like the show, but there's usually not all that much to say about it. Threads in the past have been 4-5 posts the day after air that were just like "That was funny, I liked the part with Phil"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

STAC Goat posted:

Is Fargo available anywhere to watch? I'm looking for some news to check out and that's been on my radar but I can't seem to find it on Netflix/Amazon Prime.

Same with Hannibal. Is that anywhere to watch? I planned to get into S2 once I caught up on S1 but I never saw it pop up anywhere.

I have only made three purchases on Amazon Prime, and two of them were Hannibal Season 2 and Fargo.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

The first episode of Powers is up on PSN and its free for everyone, while the next three are also up but are only free if you have Playstation Plus.

WHAT!?!? drat, looks like I'm going to have to buy a PS4 now!

-No one ever

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Isn't the PS4 out-selling the XBone?

Also, you get can PSPlus with just a PS3.

Nothing wrong with the PS4, I just meant that this exclusive episodes deal for a show that nobody's ever even heard of is not persuading anybody to make a purchase. It just sounds stupid!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The amount of people telling me I "omg HAVE to watch" House of Cards is getting a little out of hand. I tried watching the pilot episode on two different occasions and it just didn't do anything for me. I love Kevin Spacey but Frank Underwood seems like such a smug unlikable prick who just smugly monologues his way out of every problem.

I think I may be biased because the people telling me to watch it are people who either don't watch very much TV or simply watch a lot of shows I don't like. Can I keep ignoring these people or am I truly missing out? Like, where does it fall on a spectrum between Dexter and The Wire?

EDIT: Not to mention that a handful of people who like House of Cards have been saying that the newest season is not that good

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This was posted yesterday: Michael Kenneth Williams to star in 6-episode IFC miniseries this summer called The Spoils Before Dying. The title of that article did not italicize the title of the series like I did just now, so I just about had a heart attack before I clicked and figured out what the gently caress was going on. :shakesfist:

quote:

A pulp-noir murder mystery set in the seedy underbelly of Los Angeles’ jazz scene, The Spoils Before Dying follows down-and-out pianist Rock Banyon (Michael Kenneth Williams) who becomes the prime suspect when his lead singer and occasional lover is found violently murdered in a car with another man. With the death of two people hanging over his head, Rock has only 72 hours to clear his name or fry in the electric chair. Determined to prove his innocence, Rock goes on an elusive quest for the truth that takes him into an abyss of sex, murder, love, betrayal, and of course, jazz.

That sounds loving amazing right? Apparently this is a sequel to an IFC miniseries that aired last summer called "The Spoils of Babylon" featuring Will Ferrell, Tim Robbins, Tobey Maguire, Haley Joel Osment, Jessica Alba, Val Kilmer, Michael Sheen and Kristen Wiig. So, couple questions:

1. How the gently caress had I not heard about either of these, and
2. Was The Spoils of Babylon good??

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Deadpool posted:

Spoils of Babylon was completely absurd and basically a parody of a type of television I don't like. I didn't care for it all but it was a very niche thing and I think only a certain audience would like it. You might fall into that audience though.

Here's a trailer for it. Though the trailer doesn't really even give you a good idea of how absurd it is really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkGEg4evHMY

This looks like Wes Anderson to me. Like not even a Wes Anderson parody, just standard fare middle of the road Wes Anderson.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

A lot of that is just the characters he plays. His stand up is more high energy.

Yeah his stand up is great, in fact he actually kind of pulls you in with his mellowness. He gets quiet and introspective and puts a lot of space between sentences and it sort of makes you lean in

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ravane posted:

classy username like this one, a reference to Maurice Ravel's "Pavane for Dead Princess."

God you're insufferable. Why do I keep clicking the link that lets me view your posts?

Anyways, gotta thank this thread again for another great recommendation in Spartacus. It baffles me that this show was made. You've got all the violence, nudity, and general grossness, but then you've got this amazing dialogue that can manage to be poetic and crass all in one sentence. The sets and blood effects are poorly greenscreened, especially in the first season as somebody in this thread mentioned (can't remember who but they said something like "the whole entire show was shot indoors", lol) But even so, it's pretty, and the costumes are also amazing. And where did this show originally air? loving Starz?? Again, can't believe it exists but I'm glad it does. It's like Deadwood, Downton Abbey, and the movie 300 all had a terrifying love child together.

Unfortunately it's been much less of a priority to get through now that I'm in season 3. I'm still invested but I'm not binging it like I did seasons 1 and 2. I miss the original Spartacus actor (I'm sorry but this new one is puny and obnoxious where Spartacus was beefy and charismatic), and I really miss the Arena backdrop and drama. Does it return to form?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Deadpool posted:

Friday Night Lights was so boring that I honestly can't remember how much of it I watched before I stopped watching. Whereas Dexter and Homeland have clear points in which I decided "gently caress this show" and moved on.

Knowing when to quit Dexter makes you more qualified to mod than anyone here who saw it through to the end. The more you watched after season 5 the less qualified you are.

Just for reference I watched the whole thing :downs:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Deadpool posted:

I quit at the end of season two. There's no reason to watch that show at all without Doakes.

.........................................................................................................................................................I'll allow it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Weird Apt that all the mods hate TV

ftfy

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Raxivace posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask or if I'm opening a huge can of worms here, but is Game of Thrones actually any good?

Sure there will be people out there who personally don't like it, but anyone who tries to say it's not at the very least a quality show in virtually every area you can think of (acting, directing, writing, dialogue, set design, DP, etc etc) is just being a contrarian snob. Especially Season 1. Give it a try, you'll know quickly enough whether it's for you or not.

EDIT: I suppose if you're turned off by excessive sex and/or violence that may be a good excuse to skip it but you'd really be missing out on a great story

timp fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 19, 2015

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hell yeah, it was super catchy.

Night Court
Law in the nighttime
Night Court
Having some good times
Night Court
Make a few friends
Night Court
Throw the bad guys in jail
[bridge]
We all live in this strange new Night Court
Escape the sunshine and live in the dark
Criminals and lawyers all live together
Make new friends and survive the night!
Night coooooourt!

Hot Dad, is that you??

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

Phil is a terrible human being and his isolation has only magnified his lovely behavior. Because people found him thanks to his signs he thinks he should be the unabashed hero of the group and everyone should follow his lead.

Todd is a good human being who sees what Phil is up to and is willing to play along for the sake of peace, but Phil continues to gently caress it up, the most hilarious example being him shaving his beard to which the women think it makes him look weak.

I have a hunch that we'll find out Todd is secretly evil. On the one hand I hope I'm wrong because it will reaffirm Phil's despicable behavior, but on the other hand I hope I'm right because it will at least make Phil look somewhat likeable in retrospect. I don't read the TLMOE thread because I don't think it would help me to enjoy the show more (unlike, say, the Mad Men thread which enhances my enjoyment) but I'm almost positive it would make me like it less, when I'm already just barely hanging on due to the goodwill I have for the first few episodes and the occasional laugh I get out of it now.

While I'm here, I've been meaning to ask. I'm on episode 7 of Bloodline. Is this show ever going to stop being so loving boring? I mean, it's not outright BAD per se, but I feel like I can gently caress around on my phone throughout an entire episode and literally not miss a single bit of plot...and it's not like the dialogue or character building are anything to glue my eyes to the screen over. Nothing is happening. I'll keep watching because I heard it all builds to the end, but they sure are taking their sweet rear end time with it. How many more episodes of this slog do I have to put up with before I get the answers I was promised in episode 1?

Other than expectations of the finale, I'm honestly not sure what has kept me watching. I guess I like some of the lead characters. I also kind of like the setting and DP, and I'll admit it has its moments, though they're few and far between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk History is back September 1st.

Drunk History is back TONIGHT

Thread

• Locked thread