Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Sober posted:

So someone on youtube uploaded all of last night's 19-2 s2 premiere. If you want to be scared as gently caress about guns and stuff, well here ya go.

The long tracking shot starts at 7:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCVvrBOvdaI

I came here specifically to see if anyone else had watched that. What a terrifying 45 minutes of television. 19-2 has this great use of sound, whether through mood music, a lack of music, or a lack of sound at all. They didn't use any background music until about 36 minutes into the episode, after it had been resolved, and I think that made it seem that much more realistic.

Normally I burn out pretty quick on consistently dark shows, but 19-2 hasn't lost me yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
So the season premiere of 19-2 stirred up a nice number of posts. Did anyone else watch through the season, and catch the finale last night? For being only one season behind its French-Canadian original, I was pretty surprised that they didn't change who the mole was. I hated that it was still Houle :( I guess they figured the divide between French-Canadian media and the rest of the country/continent was still large enough to risk it. That, and JM beating his wife again was so disappointing. You were still an rear end in a top hat, JM, but at least you were an rear end in a top hat trying to change.

It wasn't nearly as intense or even enjoyable as the premiere, in fact it felt a little disjointed, but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that they were trying for disjointed on purpose, to reflect the state of the team. Still, after such a great season, the finale was kind of a bummer.

Considering basically half the cast and crew were nominated for some Canadian Screen Award or another, I have pretty high hopes for another renewal.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Was he the mole for different reasons? It always kinda made me laugh that in the og version The A HA! Familiprix guy ends up being some weird pedophile.

Same reason, which sucks, because I really like the actor and was so happy to see him in a regular role. I think they did a really good job of not pointing fingers at who the mole was (plenty of red herrings, though), to the point where I was just sitting there daring to dream that they'd go in another direction.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Sober posted:

I really enjoyed the second season for the most part. Not bummed or anything that the finale was lower-key, honestly.

I also didn't watch the French Canadian version, so I was surprised they kept the same mole? I guess it was just a misdirect. How much otherwise did the English version deviate from the French one? Even just minor points? Did they do the eviction thing or was it something else?. I was mostly caught off guard but I guess that was kinda the point of it, I guess it was too tempting to do that and it sorta made the most sense anyway. Only real headscratcher for me is Tyler though, he seems okay but needs to fake his urine samples? I didn't need to be hit over the head with everyone else in the squad at where they were at the end of the season, but that was kinda really vague for the sake of it, unless I'm missing something.

Oh yeah, second season was great, I was just expecting something to balance out the jaw-dropping opener. From what I can tell (my French is horrible, so I've only caught a few episodes here and there since I started watching the remake), the plot of the English version is playing it really close to the original. A lot of the key scenes are shot for shot, and the music is the same, but I've noticed in the French version they draw out some scenes without dialogue longer and rely more heavily on music. Other than that, everything I've seen has been pretty much the same.

I believe the thing with Tyler is that he shouldn't be on the painkillers anymore? He's genuinely off the sauce, and the occasional breathalyzer Houle would spring on him doesn't pick up the oxy or whatever he's on, but it'd show up in his urine.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

The Player is a decent honest to goodness old school action show, if you like Strike Back you should be watching it for sure. The writing is pretty standard but it's packed with nice action and they seem to be putting in an effort to have some impressive stunts, including some actual skydiving action in episode 2. It probably won't last but worth watching.

Yeah, it might not hold a candle to Strike Back, but at least some of the episodes, last night's included, will probably have that flavour from a cinematography standpoint. Philip Winchester got Michael Bassett to direct a couple episodes, and I definitely felt it during the opener last night with the cop cars.

And anyone who has reservations about Snipes, he seems to be really enjoying himself, and it adds to the fun of the show. He was the one I was most concerned about going in, you know, whether or not he'll get tired of television and leave the show, or just be a diva, but everything I've seen on and off screen has just been him really diving into it. So I'm going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts :sigh:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

FetusSlapper posted:

If you didn't like it after 3 episodes, it probably just isn't your thing. That is my go to rule for tv shows. Then again, I'm one of the 5 people who liked the 2nd season of Dark Angel.

Sup, bud. Let's go find the other three :sigh::hf::sigh:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Jumping in to nth the thanks for recommending Tripped. It's like Sliders and the e4-ness of Misfits had a stoner baby.

Also the first time I watched Captain Cold, it was pretty cringey, but I was surprised by how fast he grew on me. When he and Heatwave are sharing scenes, I know I can just sit back and soak in the unfiltered cheesiness, and I don't feel nearly as guilty about it as I know I should.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
So did anyone catch the early premiere of Second Chance? I'm still not sure what to make of it. I didn't dislike it, but on the other hand, I can't remember a single thing I actively liked about it. It was just this side of inoffensively boring. But I've missed Tim DeKay as an FBI agent since White Collar got cancelled, so I'm almost conflicted.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Wait, so... was Tripped just a four-episode miniseries? I can't find anything about an episode five airing next week. What in the actual gently caress :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

IRQ posted:

Are they playing it serious like The Sword of Truth novels, or goofy Xena camp like Legend of the Seeker? I haven't seen any trailers.

They're playing it like they've thrown more money at it than MTV ever saw in its heyday. Can't say much to the script, but it's got Manu Bennett and at least it looks pretty.

• Locked thread